HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#29 - 12.15.2011 | New York Rangers @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
  #26
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Same lineup for Rangers tonight: Lundqvist vs. Elliott in goal. Christensen, no Avery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
No Erixon too
Disappointed.

Faxius is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
  #27
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Please win. I'm already tired of watching losses on HBO.

beastly115 is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 11:40 AM
  #28
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 500
Figures. Christensen does nothing and still gets to play.

nyrleetch is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:03 PM
  #29
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Figures. Christensen does nothing and still gets to play.
Someone brought a good point yesterday. If Rupp is close to coming back and Avery is the player going down for cap reasons it makes sense Christensen is playing. Avery gets hurt he can't go down.

gluvhand is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
  #30
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Someone brought a good point yesterday. If Rupp is close to coming back and Avery is the player going down for cap reasons it makes sense Christensen is playing. Avery gets hurt he can't go down.
I'd rather play to win the game. You play whoever gives you the best chance of winning. In my opinion Avery should play over Christensen.

nyrleetch is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  #31
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,940
vCash: 50
Oh look, more Christensen vs Avery...



Personally, I think Christensen has played well the past two games. Looked very good against Florida, I noticed him a lot of the time against Dallas. It's a 4th line role, not a big deal...

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  #32
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I'd rather play to win the game. You play whoever gives you the best chance of winning. In my opinion Avery should play over Christensen.
I totally agree but something/anything happens to Avery and he can't go down his cap-hit stays here with him and the Rangers hands are tied.

gluvhand is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  #33
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I'd rather play to win the game. You play whoever gives you the best chance of winning. In my opinion Avery should play over Christensen.
QFT.

nevesis is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
  #34
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
The coaches like the fact that Christensen can play on the power play, and he takes significantly less minor penalties to put us shorthanded.

Minor penalties, previous seasons

2011- Avery 25, Christensen 9
2010- Avery 40, Christensen 13

He had 28 in 41 games in 2009.

That is a lot of times shorthanded.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
  #35
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The coaches like the fact that Christensen can play on the power play, and he takes significantly less minor penalties to put us shorthanded.

Minor penalties, previous seasons

2011- Avery 25, Christensen 9
2010- Avery 40, Christensen 13

He had 28 in 41 games in 2009.

That is a lot of times shorthanded.
Oh please, that's a deceptive stat and you know it. I am by no means an Avery fan, but you know damn well that 90% of his minor penalties are offsetting, so we aren't shorthanded. Furthermore, he draws a ton more penalties than EC because he goes to the dirty areas of the ice.

If we're going to make an argument about Avery vs. EC, let's keep it honest.

Revelation is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
  #36
nyrleetch
Registered User
 
nyrleetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The coaches like the fact that Christensen can play on the power play, and he takes significantly less minor penalties to put us shorthanded.

Minor penalties, previous seasons

2011- Avery 25, Christensen 9
2010- Avery 40, Christensen 13

He had 28 in 41 games in 2009.

That is a lot of times shorthanded.
Why do we throw out Avery's numbers this year?

He has put us shorthanded exactly once this year.

21 PIM. 3 fights, 2 coincidental minors and 1 high sticking.

nyrleetch is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
  #37
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Another tough test from the Western Conference. Elliot may have been a backup a few years ago but I have watched him for a few games...the guy is playing out of his mind.

FutureGM97 is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
  #38
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Why do we throw out Avery's numbers this year?

He has put us shorthanded exactly once this year.

21 PIM. 3 fights, 2 coincidental minors and 1 high sticking.
As far as discipline has been concerned, he has been better in his severely limited action this year.

I am simply pointing out possible reasons for Christensen's selection over him. Another is, as Joe said during previous broadcast; dislike of losing potential points in the shootout.

For the 7 minutes they play during the game, there would have to be a pretty significant discrepancy to counterbalance the shot at 3-4 more points in the standings. EC singlehandedly got us the only goal in the winning shootout several times last year.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
  #39
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Torts is truly a spiteful idiot. EC brings nothing. Aves should be in the lineup.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
  #40
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Oh look, more Christensen vs Avery...



Personally, I think Christensen has played well the past two games. Looked very good against Florida, I noticed him a lot of the time against Dallas. It's a 4th line role, not a big deal...
it is a big deal and when you say he looked good, are you commenting on his play or his physical appearance because his play is terrible.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
  #41
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The coaches like the fact that Christensen can play on the power play, and he takes significantly less minor penalties to put us shorthanded.

Minor penalties, previous seasons

2011- Avery 25, Christensen 9
2010- Avery 40, Christensen 13

He had 28 in 41 games in 2009.

That is a lot of times shorthanded.
yeah and Dubi and Boyle scored more than 20 goals last year. Avery has been pretty disciplined THIS YEAR and therefore this is a red herring. This is personal and we all know it. Torts is full of it if he claims anything else. Avery has played better than Boyle, Dubi, and Feds this year. He should not be sitting; especially not for Eric the Weanie.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:38 PM
  #42
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Also, to further dispel the ridiculous "penalties taken" argument, I went to behindthenet to look at the advanced statistics. This is what I came up with.

2011-2012
Avery: 0.6 penalties taken per 60 minutes of ice time V 1.7 drawn per 60
EC: 0.5 taken V 0.0 drawn

2010-2011
Avery: 1.3 taken V 1.4 drawn
EC: 0.7 taken V 0.9 drawn

2009-2010
Avery: 1.8 taken V 1.9 drawn
EC: 0.6 taken V 0.5 drawn

Nothing in the numbers indicates that Avery puts us shorthanded more than EC.

Revelation is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
  #43
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,940
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
it is a big deal and when you say he looked good, are you commenting on his play or his physical appearance because his play is terrible.
Not really. He's been nothing special, but he's been far from terrible and his play with the puck has been superior to Avery's. I'd obviously rather have Avery in the lineup, but it isn't a huge deal.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:43 PM
  #44
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Someone brought a good point yesterday. If Rupp is close to coming back and Avery is the player going down for cap reasons it makes sense Christensen is playing. Avery gets hurt he can't go down.
That's nonsense. The Rangers aren't over the cap and they don't have a single player on LTI exception, but they have 4 guys on IR. Players on IR still count against the cap unless the team applies for LTI exception. The only reason someone is going to get sent down is because the Rangers will be over their active roster player limit. You're only allowed 23 players on your active roster. If Avery gets hurt, he'll go on IR and they'd be in exactly the same situation they are now with Rupp on IR.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
  #45
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Fios subscribers, don't forget to watch it in HD tonight ! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!

Staals Eye is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
  #46
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations
 
DoTheBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 6,787
vCash: 500
Off to JD country. This would be a good win against a hot team.

DoTheBlue is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
  #47
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
really starting to worry about Dubi. He's playing himself off this team.

last year i would have picked him over cally. my mistake.

beef 4 lunch is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  #48
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,964
vCash: 133
Blues fan here. This should be a good game, as both teams are playing well over the past month or so.

The story on Grachev:
He tore it up in training camp, and led the team in preseason scoring. He won a roster spot on the 4th line (as the top 9 were pretty stacked). He didn't get many points, but he played a high energy, effective 4th line style and his stock was rising. Stewart got suspended and Grachev got a chance in the top 6. He had a terrible game. I think it really messed with his confidence.

Now that Perron is back and the team is MOSTLY healthy (minus McDonald and projected 4th-liner Crombeen) there isn't room for Grachev any more so he was sent down to get some AHL minutes. Sobotka took a puck off the foot in practice, so Grachev got called back up. I haven't seen the lines yet to even confirm whether Grachev is in the line-up, but I hope so.

As for Elliott: He's just playing great. But the team defense has also been equally remarkable. They're holding teams to very few shots, and mostly from the outside. Both the Blues' goaltenders are playing at a high level with great stats right now (if you throw out Halak's horrid start to the season).

2 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
  #49
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
What channel is MSG2 for TWC in Manhattan? I assume no HD tonight.

Crease is offline  
Old
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
  #50
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
We have the second best GAA in the league, Blues have the 3rd best.

This will likely be 2-1 or 1-0 game.

Fitzy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.