HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC

Old
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Rammstein816

vCash: 500
Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC

Per sabres twitter:

SabresDotComBuffalo Sabres

The Buffalo #Sabres have signed 2010 draft pick Kevin Sundher to a 3-year entry-level contract.

Good that they got this done early. Not a huge surprise though, he's been playing great this year.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Interesting. No need to wait.

12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
HiddenInLight

Maybe he's the next call up -_-

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Good news. Hope people don't get snarky about it because the big club is in a slump.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Coincidence, or could he actually be an emergency recall if somebody else gets hurt?

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:57 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Coincidence, or could he actually be an emergency recall if somebody else gets hurt?
It would have to be a big emergency. There's a lot of hoops to jump through before something like that can happen.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
I'm going to with coincidence, considering they signed Pysyk before the season started and there has been no mention of him being called up. As many have mentioned before, this is the way the rest of the league works, the Sabres are just catching up.

Old
12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
I would think that they'd just recall someone from Rochester, and fill the Amerks' vacancy with an ECHL'er. They're down in Texas now, but I'd imagine it would be no more difficult to summon someone from Texas than it would from Victoria, BC.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Theres out #1C

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
HiddenInLight

Maybe they are looking at moving him up to rochester to help to fill in a bit for all the players we have taken from there...

Old
12-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Maybe they are looking at moving him up to rochester to help to fill in a bit for all the players we have taken from there...
No can do. The CHL and AHL have an agreement that players coming from the CHL have to be 20 years old before Jan. 1st of the season they're in. He's not 20 until next month.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
DixonWard15

So why would they sign this deal now during the middle of season and not at the end? I don't know very much about ELCs

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
HiddenInLight

If they can't move him to the AHL maybe it was his agent that approached buffalo due to good performance.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
So why would they sign this deal now during the middle of season and not at the end? I don't know very much about ELCs
It's not uncommon throughout the rest of the league to get these things done. It's just years of Regier-mortis around here and it seems new/unusual.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
It has to get done at some point in time before June 1. Since there was no way they were going to let him go unsigned (and back into the draft), it doesn't matter when they sign him. In past years, Regier would wait until May, but since Pegula took over he's been more proactive (getting Pysyk signed and now Sundher). Whether that is coincidence or a real directive from ownership I do not know (perhaps Golisano didn't want to spend too much on prospects so Regier could only sign a limited number, while now he's only bound by the league's 50-contract organizational limit).

The reasons for doing it is similar to signing a player to an extension as opposed to waiting until he hits free agency. If the player is having a career year, you might be able to bring down the cost by signing him before his numbers go through the roof. Also, there's the psychological benefit of "having it done".

I'd expect to see more things like this--prospects who are certain to be signed get inked earlier, while those that are toss-ups wait towards May. (Note, this does NOT apply to college players, since once they sign they lose NCAA eligibility so usually teams will wait until right when they want to bring that player into the AHL/NHL before signing, even if they are a slam-dunk to sign.)

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Might as well get it done now instead of negotiating before the June 1st deadline.
It's usually rare for CHL kids to re-enter the draft, but you never want to leave the possibility of getting Tim Erixon'd.

For those wondering, no, this does not count towards our 50 contracts this season.
It also makes Darcy's job this spring pretty easy.
There's only three players from the 2010 draft due for contracts and none of them deserve them (Henley, Shipley, Sutch).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Might as well get it done now instead of negotiating before the June 1st deadline.
It's usually rare for CHL kids to re-enter the draft, but you never want to leave the possibility of getting Tim Erixon'd.

For those wondering, no, this does not count towards our 50 contracts this season.
There's only three players from the 2010 draft due for contracts and none of them deserve them (Henley, Shipley, Sutch).
I think you're forgetting Gauthier-Leduc.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

I would give Sutch a contract, seems like a hard working Ellis or Gaustad type ..

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's not uncommon throughout the rest of the league to get these things done. It's just years of Regier-mortis around here and it seems new/unusual.
Regier-mortis. That's awesome.

Happy to see Sundher signed. Seems like he's developing well this year.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I think you're forgetting Gauthier-Leduc.
Heh, I am somehow.
Well, make that one negotiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
I would give Sutch a contract, seems like a hard working Ellis or Gaustad type ..
He just doesn't seem to have NHL-level skills.
Nice story and seems like a nice kid, but I don't see what makes him worthy of an NHL contract.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Just seems like a hard worker and maybe an NHL contract may motivate him even more knowing he has a chance. For some reason i just have a feeling, dont know why though.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He also signed Pysyk in June.

I wonder if this is another sign of the handcuffs being off Regier?

Could the previous regime wanted to push things as late as possible to postpone cutting signing bonus checks?

Just a thought....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Rammstein816

Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
DixonWard15

thanks for the information guys

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
He also signed Pysyk in June.

I wonder if this is another sign of the handcuffs being off Regier?

Could the previous regime wanted to push things as late as possible to postpone cutting signing bonus checks?

Just a thought....
He had Kassian done early (by their standards) last year too after camp. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances there, but still...

It just goes to show how how we as a fan base have been conditioned by their operations over the last decade plus.