HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help me out re: Ville Leino, please

Old
12-14-2011, 11:28 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
i don't want to re-iterate the points other have made...role player, holds the puck too much, not a great finisher, etc are all true but the thing I didn't get about BUF signing was I would never picture Leino as a Ruff type of player or someone that would be successful in that style and more importantly I didn't understand moving him to center other then it was a position they needed to fill.

BUF needs to move him to the wing and experiment with combos that ca work with him. Hey, you have 4 years to work on it

He has to be a nightmare for dmen on his team because he holds on to the puck forever and carries it out to the blue line so they don't know whether to reteat or pinch down.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
maybe give us a few more months and we can firesale you JVR/Carle aswell..

8-)
BOOM!

Obligatory pot-shot at a still not 100% JVR? Check.

This fan base is so amazingly fickle sometimes. Even when the team is rolling, we need to find something to criticize.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
BernieParent

I think the Flyers' run to the Cup final was the peak of Leino's career, and everything just came together for him that season. He translated that into a monster contract, and it doesn't look good on him.

Leino is Exhibit A against anyone who posts that Holmgren can't let a UFA walk without getting something for him. Holmgren did very well giving Leino a farewell handshake.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I see Leino as a 60 point player, which is why that contract seemed big to me, and extremely long. I agree with the other posters, he is a complementary player. I think he will come back to being himself eventually, if the Sabres stick with him.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:58 AM
Amateur Hour

I honestly couldn't figure out why the Sabres gave Leino that kind of contract. It was a move contradictory of everything I've come to expect out of that franchise (shrewd talent evaluation and fiscal prudence). It's almost like Pegula saw Ville score the OT goal in Game 6 and told Darcy Regier, "I MUST HAVE HIM!"

Leino is a good complementary player who needs to be put with linemates who augment his abilities... and the coach needs to leave that line alone. He's a very delicate player who should come with a "must be handled with care" label. Otherwise, things are going to go to ****. Quickly. But once Ville establishes chemistry and a comfort level on the ice with the two other forwards on his line (like Adam and Kassian), that's when you'll start to see some of the flashes that hoodwinked the Sabres into giving him $27 million over six years. Can't blame Leino for taking the money, but you can blame the Sabres for having thought he is an alpha male player who can lead a team (and paying him like one).

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:33 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I honestly couldn't figure out why the Sabres gave Leino that kind of contract. It was a move contradictory of everything I've come to expect out of that franchise (shrewd talent evaluation and fiscal prudence). It's almost like Pegula saw Ville score the OT goal in Game 6 and told Darcy Regier, "I MUST HAVE HIM!"

Leino is a good complementary player who needs to be put with linemates who augment his abilities... and the coach needs to leave that line alone. He's a very delicate player who should come with a "must be handled with care" label. Otherwise, things are going to go to ****. Quickly. But once Ville establishes chemistry and a comfort level on the ice with the two other forwards on his line (like Adam and Kassian), that's when you'll start to see some of the flashes that hoodwinked the Sabres into giving him $27 million over six years. Can't blame Leino for taking the money, but you can blame the Sabres for having thought he is an alpha male player who can lead a team (and paying him like one).
Lack of quality free agents and a sudden nod from management to spend.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:40 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Sorta like the Flyers with Shelley.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:55 AM
mirimon

Quote:

I was surprised as well, especially since Buffalo seemed like almost the last team in the league to need someone like Leino. The Ehrhoff contract doesn't make too much sense either imo. Sure, he's a good player, but not someone that you give a ten-year contract.

Sometimes when a GM/team has worked with a small budget they learn to adapt their dealings accordingly and finds the gems in the ufa class. Give them money to spend though, and they for some reason stop reasoning the same way. If Nashville suddenly finds some money, it might be that Poile is no longer the right fit for them as GM for instance.

As for Leino... I think most have been said already in this thread. I think a line of Leino-Roy-Kassian would be his best fit, if that is the best for Buffalo overall is another thing though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I remember when he was first acquired...most people made fun of him by calling him Jay Leino and Lamo.....

It looks like the Lamo nickname is most appropriate given how putrid he has been. I actually thought he would do well in Buffalo but what concerned me about him was his diva type personality and how he didn't like being told how to play his game. There were some pretty damning interviews done on him and he said some real dumb stuff.

Actually here is the article I just remembered..I posted it on HFBoards at one point
Wow, I never even heard about that article. That's pretty bad.

Actually I was one of the few that cringed when I heard we were trading him. I honestly thought he was going to blow up and we were yet again giving away a guy with a bright future ahead of him.

When he scored that open net PP goal last week against us, I was like ****, I knew it! But then they showed his stats...only his 3rd goal of the season?!?! I thought it was a mistake...then I didn't feel so bad about trading him

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended4Life View Post
Wow, I never even heard about that article. That's pretty bad.

Actually I was one of the few that cringed when I heard we were trading him. I honestly thought he was going to blow up and we were yet again giving away a guy with a bright future ahead of him.

When he scored that open net PP goal last week against us, I was like ****, I knew it! But then they showed his stats...only his 3rd goal of the season?!?! I thought it was a mistake...then I didn't feel so bad about trading him
He was a UFA who signed with Buffalo when his contract ended.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
rban*

Sounds like he can ONLY do well when paired with Briere and Hartnell, or their clones. ANd Sabres dont have players like that, do they? Esp HArtnell, whom I consider a power forward of sorts... Sabres seem to have small quick players, what net crasher PF types do they have?

I dont know their team that well so I apologize if they do have someone klike that.. I just dont know of it.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:31 AM
s3x

Fun fact.

Leino has 12 points in 40 games this year. That is less than every Flyer that has played at least 40 games this season. That is as many points as Chris Pronger had in his 13 games.

Reminder: Leino is the third highest paid forward this year, behind Brad Richards and Steven Stamkos, at $11 million.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:38 AM
StandingCow

Glad we let him go for what he was asking.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:27 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

haha... ville leino

good one

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Jtown

Leino is a good player, he will rebound. This has just been an off year for so many Sabres, hard to really judge him and that team by this year.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:14 AM
kimmofan44

lieno only has 4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points(doesn't that break down too about 400k a point?) and if he really is 4 for 466 (which is a cool million a face off) then holy hell! i don't think any of us would have seen that one coming. he's on pace for somethng like a 20 point season.....

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I know many of you (rightfully) laughed at the obscene contract Buffalo gave Leino this offseason. But there is no way he was as putrid for you guys as he has been for Buffalo.

Speaking for myself and myself alone, the guy has to be one of the most frustrating players I've ever watched. For a guy who is supposed to be a possession player, how can it be that I cringe when he has the puck? He slows down to a snail's pace until he turns it over or stickhandles himself into the boards 99% of the time. His stat line is atrocious, he claims to have been, at one point, a center - yet he is a painful 4 for 466 on draws this year.

My question: how were these blatant flaws so seemingly "well masked" by the Flyers last year? Was it a case of him being buried on the depth chart? Even that is tough to buy, since his shortcomings are evident no matter the opposing matchup.

Did you see this level of horrendousness on the horizon? And furthermore, when he was playing his best hockey for you last year, could you venture a guess as to why (circumstantially?) that was the case? How can we maximize him?

Thanks in advance.
That face off stat is well off, he's 51 for 134 right now, no way was your stat ever right.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The thing with Leino IMO is that he is a complimentary player. He isn't going to do anything unless he has a guy on the line with him to make him a better player. I think Matthew Barnaby said it best when he signed in Buffalo...he owe's half his salary in Buffalo to Danny Briere.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Leino is a good player, he will rebound. This has just been an off year for so many Sabres, hard to really judge him and that team by this year.
Is he really a good player? I mean, I know what we saw here for a season when he had perfect chemistry with two linemates that fit eachother incredibly well.

I'd say THAT season is the anomaly in Leino's career, not this one.
Not counting last season, Leino has played 181 games and scored 32 points. 15 goals.

Sure, he's a bit better than 12 points in 40 games, but not much better. He's a 15+20 guy that wound up in a perfect situation to get paid.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
MsWoof

I can't believe those faceoff stats! Another reason behind his production in the 2010 playoffs was the Flyers' depth in the top 3 lines. That allowed Briere's line to be left with less coverage because they weren't dealing with Richards/Giroux/Carter/Gagnes/JvR etc.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The problem as I see it is that the Sabres took a role winger with little track record and with their new found deep pockets paid for an established center...
This is it, in a nutshell. You took a 3rd line level winger, playing on the first line with two good linemates, and tried to make him into a 2nd line centre, even though he'd never played C in the NHL.

He's a decent possession winger who can't hit anyone and isn't that great on D.

I liked him too, but he looks lost in Buffalo.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I can't believe those faceoff stats! Another reason behind his production in the 2010 playoffs was the Flyers' depth in the top 3 lines. That allowed Briere's line to be left with less coverage because they weren't dealing with Richards/Giroux/Carter/Gagnes/JvR etc.
The face-off stats are wrong, by a long way.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Is he really a good player? I mean, I know what we saw here for a season when he had perfect chemistry with two linemates that fit eachother incredibly well.

I'd say THAT season is the anomaly in Leino's career, not this one.
Not counting last season, Leino has played 181 games and scored 32 points. 15 goals.

Sure, he's a bit better than 12 points in 40 games, but not much better. He's a 15+20 guy that wound up in a perfect situation to get paid.
Perfect chemistry? Let us not forget how poor of a season hartnell had in 09-10. him ville and briere caught fire that playoffs, then they were able to bring it over to the next season. This is professional hockey, its not like they just got lucky from chemistry. Each player can play. Ville has just not had a good year and im sure it will change.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Leino seems to be a difficult character and a one dimensional hockey player.

He has his style of play and donīt want to change anything. Buffalo has his style of play and itīs doesnīt click with him. But Lindy Ruff is one of the oldest coaches in the NHL so i canīt imagine he will change anything for Leino....

He will not score more than 40 Points for Buffalo in the next seasons..... Sry

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Gert B Frobe

It's simple math

he's a diva
+the Sabres suck
+he's not a center
+his hip is always going to be a problem
+he will only succeed with Vanek