HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Connolly Return to Buffalo

Old
12-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

vCash: 500
Meh, I'll be there and I won't be one of those guys who boos every time his blades touch the ice, but definitely will if (when, it seems inevitably) he gets a point.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
cybresabre
desire = √suffering

vCash: 1132
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Quote:
“How can he look in the mirror at himself and think he actually deserves that kind of money for his heartless effort all these years. It’s disgusting,” wrote reader Tom Beyer of Orchard Grove, N.Y.
http://www.thestar.com/article/1102108
Where the hell is Orchard Grove, NY?

Quote:
How can he look in the mirror at himself and think he actually deserves that kind of money for his heartless effort all these years. It's disgusting.
TOM BEYER, ORCHARD PARK, NY on Sun Jul 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle475948.ece

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:46 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Where the hell is Orchard Grove, NY?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle475948.ece
I knew you'd have the link saved, Tommy B.!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At some point, I expect he gets a polite round of applause as the trainer helps him off the ice after spraining/straining/breaking something.
He'll be cheered the first time he gets slammed by Regehr, Weber, McNabb, Kaleta, McCormick or Gaustad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
And that quote by Macarthur is hilarious. 3 points in his last 12 playoff games. No goals in his last 28 playoff games.
As the saying goes, "birds of a feather flock together". Considering how MacArthur underachieved in his Buffalo tenure, never even making the playoffs, it's not surprising to see him lavish praise on another underachiever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I do think connolly knows what it takes to win. Just do the exact opposite of what he did after his 2005-2006 season and you'll be fine.
Actually, I think we may all be misreading this - MacArthur wasn't referring to winning games. He meant winning big contracts and fat paychecks.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:20 AM
cybresabre
desire = √suffering

vCash: 1132
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I knew you'd have the link saved, Tommy B.!
The link is not just merely saved. My ma even got it tattooed on her forearm so she could always remember the time when I hit it big. She shows it off at her bridge games. "Who cares that your son made Lt. Col., Betty, my baby boy made the International news." She'll probably try to zone off our back yard to call it "Orchard Grove" and make me campaign up and down the cul-de-sac to be its mayor. "Beyer's Better for Orchard Grove!" Sure, nothing will come of the failed campaign, but maybe it'll be good for a free pity beer down at the tavern some cold, lonely night.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Mr Twinkie

If he plays as well in front of the boo birds as he did during his stretch getting them here before, we shouldn't have anything to worry about.. I just so badly want to see McNabb Kassian or Regehr lay him the eff out.. As a team I think they would feed so well off of the crowd and get the team going again.. One can dream, right?

Mr Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:17 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
The link is not just merely saved. My ma even got it tattooed on her forearm so she could always remember the time when I hit it big. She shows it off at her bridge games. "Who cares that your son made Lt. Col., Betty, my baby boy made the International news." She'll probably try to zone off our back yard to call it "Orchard Grove" and make me campaign up and down the cul-de-sac to be its mayor. "Beyer's Better for Orchard Grove!" Sure, nothing will come of the failed campaign, but maybe it'll be good for a free pity beer down at the tavern some cold, lonely night.
Cheers to O-Grove! You succinctly summed up the majority opinion of the fans at the time, and now are quoted in a major media outlet. You done proud

Old
12-15-2011, 02:18 AM
Leafs24Seven*

I will take 50 points from our current 3rd line centre any Day, Week, or Season, ANYTIME! ..... wouldnt you?

Heres to a great game tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And he'll get 45 points in the 50 games he's healthy. Year after year after year.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Mr Twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
I will take 50 points from our current 3rd line centre any Day, Week, or Season, ANYTIME! ..... wouldnt you?

Heres to a great game tomorrow night.
Not if his name is Tim Connolly no... Also, let's make sure he makes it to 50 games and/or 50 points before we go over board here

Old
12-15-2011, 02:35 AM
Leafs24Seven*

If my 3rd line centre nets 50 points, his name could be Joe Blow from Kokomo for all i care. Realistically he is a first or 2nd liner but he is as we speak playing on the 3rd or 2b if you wanna call it that as the Leafs are running a top line and basically two 2nd's at the moment. He is paid like a first but hey, it's only $ and the Leafs have the luxury of having a abundance of it.

Here is hoping to a great game by both clubs tomorrow, was hoping to take the short drive down the thruway but bad timing. Whomever is going, have a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twinkie View Post
Not if his name is Tim Connolly no... Also, let's make sure he makes it to 50 games and/or 50 points before we go over board here

Old
12-15-2011, 02:59 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
If my 3rd line centre nets 50 points, his name could be Joe Blow from Kokomo for all i care. Realistically he is a first or 2nd liner but he is as we speak playing on the 3rd or 2b if you wanna call it that as the Leafs are running a top line and basically two 2nd's at the moment. He is paid like a first but hey, it's only $ and the Leafs have the luxury of having a abundance of it.

Here is hoping to a great game by both clubs tomorrow, was hoping to take the short drive down the thruway but bad timing. Whomever is going, have a blast!
How does a team have two second lines? I'd say a first line and two third lines is accurate. Two two's is a bit narrow minded IMO

Old
12-15-2011, 03:08 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Call it what you'd like but they play approx same type of minutes and situations. I like line1, line 2a, line 2b, and the 4th Whatever ya wanna call it, they are 2 very closely balanced lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
How does a team have two second lines? I'd say a first line and two third lines is accurate. Two two's is a bit narrow minded IMO

Old
12-15-2011, 04:24 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
What sign should I make? Thinking "Welcome back Tim! Here's to 50 points in 50 games!"
Hmmm, how bout.... "Hey Tim, remember that time when you were at Micky Rats a month after suffering that concussion in the 05/06 playoffs and pounding beers and blowing lines off the waitresses cans but then didnt come back for all but 2 games that next season due to PCS??? Me either..."

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:59 AM
HiddenInLight

Leafs fans will hate playing in buffalo because i bet he comes hete and gets hurt just like old times. XD

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
It'll be amusing if he gets flattened out just from the perspective that it'll be "neat hit!" rather than "piss, here we go again," but I'll be concentrating more on the game in general than ol' Timmeh.

"Grudge match." Riiiiiight.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Mr Twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
It'll be amusing if he gets flattened out just from the perspective that it'll be "neat hit!" rather than "piss, here we go again," but I'll be concentrating more on the game in general than ol' Timmeh.

"Grudge match." Riiiiiight.
I completely agree, with the way this teams playing right now we need to come out hard and get a W in regulation first off, then next, let Timmy have it..We need to catch up in our division though, and the leafs are a great place to start...I'm excited to finally have a chance to play the leafs this season though.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:49 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Way to hedge his bets. It's a Leafs game. Of course they will be booing!!

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:21 AM
HiddenInLight

Blow leafs blow!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The boos for the current players might drown out the boos for Connolly
Well played. Well played.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I'll admit to being a Connolly fan while he was a Sabre, but at some point you can't justify a big salary for a player that can't play a full season. I was even willing to keep Connolly on a salary around 3 mil. He just might have considered that with all the Pegula hype and adding Regehr and Ehrhoff.

There's no real potential to say, "I told you so" about Connolly. He's been hurt yet again this season too, but I think it's easy enough to say at this point that Connolly clearly was not the point man for Buffalo's mediocrity. He's not the answer to making Buffalo or any other team an instant contender either, but he is easily a piece to a Cup winning team that needs secondary scoring and/or PK skills in the middle. Buffalo was and apparently still isn't a Cup contender, so Connolly was just another not-good-enough player on that roster. But he isn't and never should have been the poster child for all the Sabres' woes.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
LGB24

Quote:

Your 3rd line center's primary purpose isn't to net points. A 3rd line centre in generally defensive minded who can play in all situations. I wouldn't judge how good a 3rd line centre is on points. If he's absent and not helping the team for half the season.

Also, are you new? The leafs an abundance of money? Last time I checked they can only spend to the cap just like every other team. Get a clue

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Your 3rd line center's primary purpose isn't to net points. A 3rd line centre in generally defensive minded who can play in all situations. I wouldn't judge how good a 3rd line centre is on points. If he's absent and not helping the team for half the season.

Also, are you new? The leafs an abundance of money? Last time I checked they can only spend to the cap just like every other team. Get a clue
You could argue the same thing about Leino that he is not supposed to chip in but play good defensive hockey cause he's on the 3rd line...

Connolly wore out his welcome in Buffalo, I'm glad the guy is gone, but everyone put too much weight on his shoulders.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
He'll probably burn us tomorrow like all our other ex-players but I wouldn't boo him (I'm not going to the game so I won't get the opportunity to even if I wanted to).

No sense in booing the guy. He didn't leave on bad terms per se; a majority of Sabres fans were showing him the way to the door before noon even struck on July 1st, 2011 and couldn't wait to see him leave. I pretty much always liked him (I ripped on him a little bit but for the most part I gave him the benefit of the doubt) but while I wasn't one of the fans trying to push him out the door, I did agree that the best thing for both him and us would be to part ways. So far it seems to have worked for both parties even though we're a mess right now.

I don't wish him any ill will or anything like that, but hey, he's the enemy now, so if he gets leveled I'm surely going to cheer. Anyone remember when Spacek layed out Briere in one of his first games back here? If that happens tomorrow to Connolly, the house will be pumped. No reason for us to hate him though; if anything, be glad he's gone.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
puckish66

Careful, folks. We're talking about the player whose loss might have cost the Sabres a series against the Flyers.

Just ask Lindy, who never met an excuse whose leg he didn't hump.

"His injury in the playoffs maybe even cost us that series at that point in time."

http://wgr550.com/Sabres--Kaleta-Ava...eturn/11742553

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Careful, folks. We're talking about the player whose loss might have cost the Sabres a series against the Flyers.

Just ask Lindy, who never met an excuse whose leg he didn't hump.

"His injury in the playoffs maybe even cost us that series at that point in time."

http://wgr550.com/Sabres--Kaleta-Ava...eturn/11742553
Hideous.