HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what Do you want in trade!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Aarex

vCash: 500
My wants in order of Need

#1 Top Pairing Defensemen
#2 Top line LW
#3 New 2nd line Centre (I've had enough of Ribs, that thing about Ryder put me over the top)

Old
12-06-2005, 09:41 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified

#2 Top line LW
#3 New 2nd line Centre (I've had enough of Ribs, that thing about Ryder put me over the top)
I would settle with a top pairing D and to replace Rivet with a top 4 puck mover and move Souray and Dandenault to the third pair! Then they'd be cookin. Souray won't command as big a salary the next time around I assume.

Then leave the offense to Koivu, Kovalev and the kids and try to rely on our depth up front to get the goals.

Also, if Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, etc. remain comatose in their own end...GET RID OF THEM. Ribs has been a lot better and Zed is starting to smarten up, but we are just too soft in our own end still.

I like the direction we're going in tho. We're getting hungrier, harder-working and bigger and along with the character, we're adding skill too. It's just the D.

If we give Theodore SOME help, this team could take off. He's never had a chance.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-06-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old
12-06-2005, 10:51 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
wjat young players are you talking about, if it was Crosbey or Ovechkin then ya you can say we'll see dramatic change in performance in few years but as it stands we have no game breaking forward in our lineup
Guy! Guy! Guy!

Old
12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Habber

Quote:

#2 Top line LW
My thoughts exactly, although I'd maybe switch 2 and 3 around.

I would think Souray is the #1 candidate to go. He's still got good value, and maybe packaged with someone like Sunny we could land a top pairing d-man.

Old
12-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Big Sexy

Quote:

#2 Top line LW
What about Marleau and Hannan?
that would solve 2 of those problems and would make 2 very solid lines.

I know it would be hell to pry them away from san jose though.

Old
12-06-2005, 11:54 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy
What about Marleau and Hannan?
that would solve 2 of those problems and would make 2 very solid lines.

I know it would be hell to pry them away from san jose though.
No way San Jose deals Hannan. He's the anchor on that D and they are short back there now as it is without Stuart.

Marleau is a floater who disappears for weeks on end. I wouldn't want him. Maybe for trade value.

I forgot about Latendresse too....

Also, the UFA age limit is going to be lowered to 27 by the time our kids get a couple years under their belt. Maybe that is what Gainey is aiming for.

Old
12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
No way San Jose deals Hannan. He's the anchor on that D and they are short back there now as it is without Stuart.

Marleau is a floater who disappears for weeks on end. I wouldn't want him. Maybe for trade value.

I forgot about Latendresse too....

Also, the UFA age limit is going to be lowered to 27 by the time our kids get a couple years under their belt. Maybe that is what Gainey is aiming for.
San Jose's anchor on D is Kyle McLaren.

My take on it is we have solid defensemen in Souray, Markov, Komisarek, Dandenault, Bouillon and Rivet but would need to replace one of them with a top pairing defensemen who can log big minutes and carry the powerplay. In other words, there arent many.

Looking at our top we have Ribeiro, Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder and a combination of Higgins/Plecanek/Perezhogin/Dagenais. Personnally, looking quickly, our clear lack is a scoring LW a la Ryder. But thinking thoroughly, I figured that with the upcoming players in our system, our centers are more of a problem. The odd man out to me would be Ribeiro, not because I dont like him but because I believe Koivu is simply leaps and bounds ahead of him. Basically, I want a first line centre. Again, there arent many.

Looking at our bottom six, we have Plecanek, Bulis, Bonk, Higgins, Begin and Sundstrom. I think this is very solid, however Bonk and Sundstrom bring the exact same game so basically, if I had to improve, it would be on one of them. Probably Bonk for salary reasons.

My last improvement would be in nets. Theodore has proven all his professionall career except in 2001-2002 that he is a good goaltender who cant perform at a decent level in the playoffs.

Those are my main points of improvement. I dont expect any of them to happen as I think some will be corrected internally in the organization. However if there was a team I believe would have all those things I want it would be Florida and the players I would ask are these:

Jokinen, Hagman, Luongo and Bouwmeester.

If theres one GM you can fool and trade away your vets, its Keanan.

Old
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
BlueBlancRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
for me its defencemen nothing else, and i'll be more then happy if BG can find Taker for any of Bonk, Souray, Theodore, Sundstorm, Streit.

I'm seeing lot of rumours where habs acquire forward but we really don't need more offence we'll get big boost once kovalev returns, and we do have enough fire power to score goals, but we are in much dier need for defencemen I hope to god BG lands us good top veteran, or young player in the line of Linden trade that turned the corner for our team.

A GOALIE!

Old
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
eddy

At this point if were out to aquire anything it should be a defencemen. Were definetly lacking there . Once all the forwards are healthy I don't think we'll have any problems with scoring, I'm not sure if there was any point this season when all our forwards were healthy.

Old
12-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
You always build your team from the base then move up. Right now we have a good mix but there are a few things we need to change. Now some of these things will come naturally over time while other will come from trade. Of course the idea is that no matter what you trade, you always need to get better. So, what could be traded and for what. Without using names from other team, this is in my opinion the list of players that will be traded for the habs and for what kind of players.

Sundstrom and Bulis. These 2 will be the first to be traded, maybe in a package to get something more. These 2 are being beaten to a pulp by 2 freaking rookies. Both Higgins and Plekanec can do as good a job defensively but have higher offensive performance so far. These 2 will be traded for 4th line guys with character. A guy that, like Begin, gives his all game after game but will be closer to the league's minimum. They might be packaged to get a fourth line guy and a 4th-5th defensement, as we definately need someone there in case of injury.

Bonk and Zednik. Bonk might not be traded this year, but Zednik will. This will go for either a top end D or a top end forward. I'd lean more thoward D however. Perezhogin isn't ready yet, but he's shown flashes of what he can do, plus he's known to have better end of seasons then begining. Zednik on the other hand looks a tad lost lately. He could be used as a bait to get something big. In my opinion Bonk is only here to hold the third line center while Chipchura mature. However, if he can be traded for a defensement, he will be gone. ( could be packaged with Zednik for another Center and a D of course )

Ribeiro. I think it'd be a huge mistake to trade him, but unfortunately he could be gone. His value is, unlike many people think, very high around the league. Especially since no matter how many points he get, he probably won't sign a huge contract by the end of this year. This guy is a 70pts 25 years old 2nd line center who should sign again for 1 to 1.5million. Considering the cap, this could be one of the best Bait the habs have.

Theodore. Forget it, won't be traded. Only put his name because it's the dumbest idea I've heard in a long while. In 2 years he might be traded. Right now however, he won't. Doesn't matter how he plays when the team is easely on top of the other. What matters is how he plays when the team is simply not there. And so far this year, he's been stellar in these situation.

So what do I want? Solid puck mover D for Zednik/Bonk. 2 quality fourth liners who go cheap ( à la Begin ). And at least another bottom pairing D in case it gets ugly.

Old
12-06-2005, 02:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio
Sundstrom and Bulis. These 2 will be the first to be traded, maybe in a package to get something more. These 2 are being beaten to a pulp by 2 freaking rookies. Both Higgins and Plekanec can do as good a job defensively but have higher offensive performance so far.

Bonk and Zednik. Bonk might not be traded this year, but Zednik will. Zednik on the other hand looks a tad lost lately. He could be used as a bait to get something big. In my opinion Bonk is only here to hold the third line center while Chipchura mature.

Ribeiro. I think it'd be a huge mistake to trade him, but unfortunately he could be gone.

Theodore. Forget it, won't be traded.

So what do I want? Solid puck mover D for Zednik/Bonk. 2 quality fourth liners who go cheap ( à la Begin ). And at least another bottom pairing D in case it gets ugly.
I don't mind these ideas.

I would prefer to re-sign Bulis for cheap tho as a bottom 6 guy. I like his speed and he's fun to watch. But if he's a throw-in to get a defenseman, I say YES.

The other problem is, Souray and Rivet are signed through next season. Dandenault is signed longterm.

We need to keep Bouillon because he's cheap and does a decent job on the third pair.

So we have to unload Souray or Rivet. If we trade Souray, we need to get toughness back on the blueline. Jovocop would be nice.

If we trade Rivet, I'll do cartwheels.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:

I would prefer to re-sign Bulis for cheap tho as a bottom 6 guy. I like his speed and he's fun to watch. But if he's a throw-in to get a defenseman, I say YES.

The other problem is, Souray and Rivet are signed through next season. Dandenault is signed longterm.

We need to keep Bouillon because he's cheap and does a decent job on the third pair.

So we have to unload Souray or Rivet. If we trade Souray, we need to get toughness back on the blueline. Jovocop would be nice.

Souray and Rivet will only be traded if you can get another D of either the same caliber, or a 2 for one ( 1 veteran, 1 young guy ) deal. Our biggest problem for now is that we don't have enough Defencemen if injuries hit again,

I would love to keep Bulis has a winger on the fourth line. However, if you can get something cheaper that can do the same job, I'd say go for it. The only reason why Bulis' salary is so high, is because his upside is good. At 27 his best years could still very well be in front of him. That's a chance I'm willing to take though.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
CLEGHORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Eric Bélanger from LA . Id give Sundstrom and a 3rd .. or a 2nd if we are in good position at the deadline .
Didn't Belanger retire a couple of week's ago?

Old
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
AH

Quote:

why?

Rivet has been outstanding this year. People who complain about Rivet simply dont watch enough games.

How many games have you watched this year Rake? It might explain why you are living in the past regarding some of the players on the team, especially the ones in the backend.

Bouillon does a decent job on the bottom pair? Frankie B. is outstanding. Hoe do you explain the 25+ minutes per night. When this guy re-signs (whereever that is) after this season, it will be for Dandenault like money.

Old
12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
znk

Quote:

You obviously havent watched a game this year.
or..you evaluate players the Rejean Houle way. By name, and by what you remember of him...you seem to forget to look at what he is doing today.

Old
12-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Benchguy

Send a message via MSN to Benchguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
or..you evaluate players the Rejean Houle way.

LOL quote of the day!

Old
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Habsaku said it right. I think the defence will stay the same for this year, except for maybe a better 6th/7th. The team really needs to upgrade one of the solid top 4 to a genuine top defenceman. That sounds like an offseason project.

I don't like Koivu and Ribeiro as a top 2, but they both have good reasons for staying, and neither would bring back the kind of assets to make a deal worth it. I'm just not sure that a top line center is a real need. Bonk is the real target. He'd be fine were he able to deliver what we were all hoping for -- size and more scoring than Juneau. Plekanec in that role would bring energy and offense, but yet more under-sizedness. Physical size (preferably RH) is still the main C need one year later.

Also, looking at it more from a bottom/top 6 point of view, the problem of Bonk and Sundstrom is a problem of softness. I'd be very surprised if Gainey could unload Bonk. In the meantime, a veteran like Gelinas or Drake or maybe even Weimer at the low-end could bring some short-term toughness and hustle. A checking line should bodycheck. Defencemen don't get worn down by being outwitted, especially in the playoffs.

Closed Thread