HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals vs. Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Centre. 12.15.2011

Old
12-15-2011, 01:59 PM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Neuvy to start. Not sure what I think of that move.
Its the right move, unfortunately. I mean... ****, both the goalies are getting chances to prove something and its like neither of them want to be the guy.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Please explain.
It's a tie hockey game. The shootout isn't hockey. Taking away the loser point in that instance legitimizes the shootout to a moronic degree, makes it something it fundamentally isn't. The SO is a tiebreaker, not the game.

Like I said, I'd be cool with 2/0, 2/0 (or 1/1), then 1/1 (W/L) for Reg, OT, SO as the points breakdown. But there might be mathematical intricacies that make that a bad solution.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Too soon. Can't make an enemy of his players yet. Also, I don't get the impression he publicizes his feelings or interactions with his players. Always seems like he's just patronizing the press.
Agree, i'm sure he needs to figure out for himself in person who is who and what is what... screaming just for the sake of screaming will only make matters worse. I'm sure he will have his time to go bat**** crazy on the bench in a while... right now its sort of an assessment time.

Just ****ing win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:13 PM
IafrateOvie34

Looking forward to the game tonight win or lose. I expect it will be a close game due to Winnipeg playing good at home. The home crowd reminds me of the white towel days. I also think Eakin will bring something tonight playing in front of the city. I hope the Caps can score more than one goal and play a consistent game. Evander Kane is becoming a Caps killer so I expect him to be a real threat. I wouldn't rule out Ladd either.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I know some players probably won't care, but I hope this quote makes it on to the board in the Caps room before tonight's game.

Boudreau: "This was the hardest I’ve seen a team work this year that I’ve been coaching, and that includes the Capitals."

source: curtiszupke Curtis Zupke

and this version also from twitter – icemancometh Eric Stephens

Boudreau: “I thought this was the hardest I’ve seen a team work this year that I’ve been coaching … and that includes the Capitals too.”
I assume he means calendar year includuing tampa play offs...

On topic:
Sickening. Knew it wouldnt take gabby long to start leaking out his version/paradigm of the truth

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:17 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Anyone know if Winnipeg still has the oversize picture of Queen Elizabeth hanging within its arena. I know it use to be there when the first edition of the Jets were in Winnipeg. Wouldn't mind seeing one of Chimera's shots go off frame more than usual and drill the Queen Mum.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:21 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I assume he means calendar year includuing tampa play offs...

On topic:
Sickening. Knew it wouldnt take gabby long to start leaking out his version/paradigm of the truth
Eh. Just like Bradley, not like he said anything that should surprise anyone.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Frustr8d

Good afternoon all, despite the lackluster effort against the flyers I feel pretty good about tonight. Hopefully my feeling is spot on. Let's hope for a full 60 minute game of effort.

3-1 Caps. Brouwer, Knuble and Orlov with his first.

Frustr8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It's a tie hockey game. The shootout isn't hockey. Taking away the loser point in that instance legitimizes the shootout to a moronic degree, makes it something it fundamentally isn't. The SO is a tiebreaker, not the game.

Like I said, I'd be cool with 2/0, 2/0 (or 1/1), then 1/1 (W/L) for Reg, OT, SO as the points breakdown. But there might be mathematical intricacies that make that a bad solution.
After watching enough European club football I've come to despise the tie in any way, shape, and form. To me it has no place in professional sports. The shootout, while not ideal, is suitable for an 82 game season.

Quote:
Evander Kane make happy in net.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 12-15-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Pretty douchey comment to make. You aren't with the Caps anymore Bruce, no need to reference them anymore.
Which part is douchey, the honest assessment part?

Move on....get over the hate.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thank God I've put all the Vokoun lovers on ignore. I coudn't stand another night of "Neuvy sucks, put in the other sucky goalie".

Old
12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Just. Win.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Which part is douchey, the honest assessment part?

Move on....get over the hate.
As a coach you've got to be the bigger man and not compare anything about your current team with your former team. The fact that he brought up the Caps is douchey as hell. Bruce needs to move on, not me.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
this is what i expected from boudreau, dont expect him to stop now, he will continue to tell his little "notes" to the media, he just cant resist can he.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Frustr8d

Who cares at this point what Bruce says at this point. Maybe after 6 games with the Ducks maybe its more of an indictment on him that it has taken 6 games to see that quality from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I know some players probably won't care, but I hope this quote makes it on to the board in the Caps room before tonight's game.

Boudreau: "This was the hardest I’ve seen a team work this year that I’ve been coaching, and that includes the Capitals."

source: curtiszupke Curtis Zupke

and this version also from twitter – icemancometh Eric Stephens

Boudreau: “I thought this was the hardest I’ve seen a team work this year that I’ve been coaching … and that includes the Capitals too.”

Frustr8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
As a coach you've got to be the bigger man and not compare anything about your current team with your former team. The fact that he brought up the Caps is douchey as hell. Bruce needs to move on, not me.
Do we know the question that was asked? Do we know they didn't say something like "even including the Caps"?

They guy is a straight shooter. The world is so full of people who get riled up over nothing at all...

Old
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
After watching enough European club football I've come to despise the tie in any way, shape, and form. To me it has no place in professional sports. The shootout, while not ideal, is suitable for an 82 game season.

Evander Kane make happy in net.
That's fair, I just think it's horribly, horribly wrong to make a SOW equal to a reg. W. And since they nerfed them last season it seems like the powers that be agree, at least a little bit.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:48 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:

I guess we disagree. As much as I hate the SO, it was created to decide a winner in the NHL regular season. If the league believes that is what it's doing than it should accept the consequences. IMO, you either win or lose (or tie). You don't sort-of win or sort-of lose.

The only solution to the SO is that it goes away. So long as it's here, I think the league should have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I don't have a problem with ties, but the league did, so it went with the shootout. So then I say, a win's a win and a loss is a loss.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:49 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
That's fair, I just think it's horribly, horribly wrong to make a SOW equal to a reg. W. And since they nerfed them last season it seems like the powers that be agree, at least a little bit.
yeah, that was a nod to the folks who hate it, but it still skews the season. The Caps get screwed because their losses count as losses while the Panthers' losses count as what? Near-wins? Silly.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Bruce rules.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
yeah, that was a nod to the folks who hate it, but it still skews the season. The Caps get screwed because their losses count as losses while the Panthers' losses count as what? Near-wins? Silly.
Based on history, the "fake" point is for the OTW, not the OTL. But that depends on what role you think OT has in deciding the game (whether it's truly the game or whether it's a tiebreaker or whatever... take it as far as you want, and the shootout is an even more stark comparison)

But overall I take this perspective: if the loser point keeps you out of the playoffs you didn't deserve to get in. The Caps get screwed because they're playing poorly.

Not to mention the impact it would have on teams that could no longer "play for the tie." Don't know if that would make things better or worse in this comparison (for the Caps, I mean) but it would certainly make them different.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Do we know the question that was asked? Do we know they didn't say something like "even including the Caps"?

They guy is a straight shooter. The world is so full of people who get riled up over nothing at all...
Straight shooter my ass. There is a video of the comment on the Ducks' site. Though it doesn't show the question being asked it surely sounds like he made that comment under his own volition. He found an opportunity to take a shot at the Caps and he took it. Douchey as hell.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
OT, but I don't know where else to post this: I ****ing hate the loser point. (Yes, I hate the shootout more, but it's here to stay, so awarding a point for losing -- any kind of losing -- is idiotic). If the NHL recognized that losing is losing and scored things that way, the Caps would be 2 points behind FLA and ahead of WIN and would be 8th in the conference.

The conference would look like this:

1 BOSTON - 40
2 PHILADELPHIA - 38
3 NY RANGERS - 34
4 PITTSBURGH -34
5 TORONTO - 32
6 NEW JERSEY - 32
7 FLORIDA - 32
8 WASHINGTON - 30
9 BUFFALO - 30
10 WINNIPEG - 28
11 OTTAWA - 28
12 MONTRÉAL - 26
13 TAMPA BAY - 24
14 NY ISLANDERS - 18
15 CAROLINA - 18

For those who will say I'm grasping, this has been my position on the points/ranking since the SO was enacted.
I hear ya on that in the big picture. But my general impression that each year some random team ends up making it to OT a bunch so ends up getting some loser points. I know one of the Caps teams benefitted from this a couple of seasons ago /shrug.

12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Based on history, the "fake" point is for the OTW, not the OTL. But that depends on what role you think OT has in deciding the game (whether it's truly the game or whether it's a tiebreaker or whatever... take it as far as you want, and the shootout is an even more stark comparison)

But overall I take this perspective: if the loser point keeps you out of the playoffs you didn't deserve to get in. The Caps get screwed because they're playing poorly.

Not to mention the impact it would have on teams that could no longer "play for the tie." Don't know if that would make things better or worse in this comparison (for the Caps, I mean) but it would certainly make them different.
FWIW, I agree that the OTW point is the extra, except that the loser point yields some games worth three and some worth 2. Silly.

As for getting screwed because you're playing poorly, I would say that FLA didn't play that much better in the 6 games they couldn't win with team hockey and then lost in a SO. But they get credit for not losing the team game either, I guess. No matter how you slice it, the SO sucks and ****s up the rankings.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
I've always wondered what it would be like if winning in OT wasn't actually 2 points, just 1 point and a "W" for tiebreaker purposes (makes every game a 2 point game but still makes the win worth something) but I've never felt like doing the math.
you need to come to grips with the reality of hockey. its a defense first game. coaches will not risk a guaranteed point in the standings for a shot at two points in the standings if failure means zero points. if you were watching hockey in the days of the tie, they played for the tie. with ot, they play for ot and then for the tie unless the opposition makes a mistake. as it is now, all teams play for OT, many of those teams play for the shootout.

if you made regulation wins 2 pts and anything in extra time no points and a tie breaker only, conference rivals would play for the 0 sum.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote