HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Feb 8 update posted: Pronger (concussion) likely out for the season

Old
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
This is the season from ****ing hell.

12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I don't know how anyone who claims to be a fan can joke about this.
How about to make it bearable?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I don't know how anyone who claims to be a fan can joke about this.
Chill..it's called a defense mechanism. You really think fans aren't devastated? Seriously man...we are not all robots with our emotions. One size doesn't fit all...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 12-13-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: sp
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Dear Philadelphia Flyers,

You must sacrifice Jodie Shelley to the Hockey gods otherwise I will choose my next victim....

Signed Concussion
I they're dumb enough to want him...

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I they're dumb enough to want him...
Yeah good point..he would remain in limbo and haunt us like a ghost for all eternity...

But seriously...I think the Flyers need to bring in some witch doctor or something b/c something isn't right kharma wise. Just way too many devastating setbacks. I hope with Giroux he's able to recover and continue his career. It would just be immensely difficult for the team to lose such an impact player long term. It's so tough to come across players like him and even Crosby. They just don't grow on trees. The hockey sense is innate. Pronger seems a little less likely to me to recover. Seems similar to Lappy. Schenn seems the most likely to recover but who knows..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I was listening to Montreal sports radio last night when Pierre Mcguire was on. He coached Pronger is Hartford and is still good friends with him. He said Pronger is very scared about the head injury. Said he has never seen Chris scared.....until now.

Pronger has made his money and will get paid regardless, he has won his Stanley Cups, he has left teams before (Edmonton) and I DONT THINK he will return at the jeopardy of his future.

I get this terrible gut feeling that will all these injuries, with the new concussion issues, Chris Pronger will NEVER play again.

Am I alone? I keep seeing people talking about "when Pronger comes back"......I am more thinking "IF Pronger comes back". I think him coming back this year is "Questionable", coming back at all is "probable"

Horrible.
This could get interesting because he may want to retire if he's that scared. Philly would have to LTIR him for 6 years to avoid the cap hit. The league would likely be watching because it's not like Lappy where it's a low dollar amount and 2 years. It could get messy but I think if I were in his shoes I'd say screw it and retire with hopefully good health.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Here is the Wednesday night update per the Flyers' PR staff:

Quote:
"We will have an update on Pronger tomorrow, once we have spoken to the doctors"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...308&feedID=695

Quote:
Chris Pronger apparently kept his appointment in Pittsburgh on Wednesday and met with noted neurologists Joe Maroon and Mickey Collins.

What they told him about his suspected concussion remains unknown as Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced late Wednesday that there was no medical update on Pronger until the team has spoken to both doctors.

There was an update on Claude Giroux, who is out indefinitely with a concussion:

“Claude Giroux's status remains the same,” Holmgren said. “We will have an update on Chris Pronger tomorrow, once we have spoken to the doctors.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
BernieParent

I'm starting to think that the only way Pronger's contract doesn't quickly become an albatross is through some changes in the new CBA. I am hopeful he will be able to return strongly and continue to contribute to this roster soon, but the clock is definitely winding down on his career.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:48 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

"Good news, his concussion symptoms have gone away! He can play the next game!"

please...

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I can get behind that.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Kaktus*

Even if Pronger does not feel concussion symptoms he won't be able to play because of his knee. I think Pronger is going to be out for at least another month or so.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm starting to think that the only way Pronger's contract doesn't quickly become an albatross is through some changes in the new CBA. I am hopeful he will be able to return strongly and continue to contribute to this roster soon, but the clock is definitely winding down on his career.
A change in the CBA is what I'm hoping for, too. The fact that Pierre McGuire said Pronger is scared is a big concern because if he plays with fear he's going to hesitate. In a way it's a good thing he had knee surgery because that's forcing him to rest.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
SilkyMitts

we are rolling right now. without pronger. let these other guys build up minutes and confidence. save pronger for March/April/Playoffs. same with giroux. I can see them keeping these guys out as long as possible as long as we are winning without them.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/stat...23138106441728

Quote:
Look for #Flyers 2 announce Pronger will be shut down indefinitely. No time line expected but some believe rest of season may be in jeopardy
What we all feared now might be a possibility.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Exactly how the Devils got out of the Mogliny contract 5 years ago is how I think Philly will get out of Prongers. They will get an injury exception especially if the concussion is career ending.

His end of career (if it isn the end) seems very similar to Scott Stevens.Stevens was supposed to be out a week, then month, then four months, then he never returned.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

vCash: 50
Whatever happens, Pronger was still worth trading for.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
JVR21
G

$5M of cap space to work with...

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Whatever happens, Pronger was still worth trading for.
I agree you can't predict these type of events. Hall of famer on the back end is always a great choice to go out and get.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:27 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

What I am hoping this turns out to be, is the Flyer's long term plan to allow Pronger to sit out the lat 2 years of his contract.

2015-2016 Pronger "suffers a freak blow" to the head during practice, will sit out season next two seasons...

One can hope right?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

This isn't a good thing at all. I fully expect Holmgren to go into panic mode and make a bad deal out of desperation. Hopefully his assistants and the coaching staff can talk him out of doing so, but I think we might see Holmgren do something really, really stupid.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
The "indefinitely" part was issued a few days ago. No news there.

Holmgren from a few days ago: “Chris will see Dr. Joe Maroon and Dr. Mickey Collins on Wednesday, December 14th in Pittsburgh for further evaluation. Chris will be out indefinitely.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I agree you can't predict these type of events. Hall of famer on the back end is always a great choice to go out and get.
The Pronger deal was worth it because of the change he made to the professionalism of the whole organization. The coaches can talk about it all they want, he showed them how. I hope he'll be back before the playoffs, but if he isn't, well, there's always next year.

And his contract can be resolved like Lappy's - permanent indefinite LTIR. He showss up to camp every year and fails his physical. I'm not worried about that at all.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I was flipping out against the organization for making the trade at the time. I thought it was too much to give for a aging player. However over time watching Chris game in and game out made a believer out of me. That being said what has he left to prove? His family and health come first. I remember Roger Staubach had one if not the best years statistically in his career and called it quits due to concussions. He gave it all up because he wanted to be there for his family. These are all things that Chris has to deal with. The organization and Chris will do what's best for him and his family. Let's face it, how many concussions do any of us think Chris has had over his career? You know that was not his first one. I guess we will find our one way or the other soon.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
MsWoof

They may be setting him up to get out of the contract. I bet that when the CBA expires we'll hear that the Flyers are leading the charge in allowing teams to get rid of one contract a year or something to that effect.

I do believe Kypreos has news that the rest of the media doesn't. He has really strong connections and you know that the Canadian media often outscoops the Philly media.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
Dpn't know if this was posted already...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=4832

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote