HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Which defenseman should we play on his off-side?

View Poll Results: Who do you play on his off-side?
Gorges 24 52.17%
Kaberle 1 2.17%
Emelin 8 17.39%
Campoli 10 21.74%
Gill 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
boomboommax

vCash: 500
Which defenseman should we play on his off-side?

Obviously, this applies to our LH skaters.

To me, the obvious choice would be Gorges if not for the fact that Subban and him form our best pair. Breaking that duo would seem as logical as breaking Desharnais's line... But then again, sometimes, you need to balance things out for the better of the greater cause.

Another guy I would like to see on his offside is Emelin. If only because I think he will eventually be paired with Markov, but I would perhaps wait until the General is back to do so... Putting him on his off side with a defensive liability could deter his confidence, but at the same time, I think he could fair pretty well.

Puck movers like Kaberle and Campoli might not see the ice as well from the other side, but given their vision and experience, I would be curious to see what they can do when lined up on the right side. But, like Spacek last year, they could end up struggling to use that good first pass of theirs, so they don't seem as fit for that role.

Gill, even though I like the guy, can't skate or pass to save his life, has been somewhat of a turnover vender this year and I fear putting him on his off-side would only make things worst.

After, debating all of the above, I have to go with Gorges and/or Emelin, in case we need to sit Diaz or an injury occurs to one of him or Subban. These would be my pairings with we have right now...

Safest (IMO):

Kaberle - Subban
Emelin - Gorges
Gill - Diaz

Optimal (if Emelin can adjust quickly):

Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Emelin
Gill - Diaz

I don't see the point of throwing Campoli in the mix. I find he doesn't bring much except offense and we're covered on that front with Subban, Kaberle and Diaz. I'd rather play our young guns and keep #17 in case of injury...

I was cool with him playing the other night cause we got to see how he fits, but he and Kaberle looked very ordinary in the defensive zone to say the least...

What's your take?

Last edited by boomboommax: 12-15-2011 at 02:59 PM.
boomboommax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The no brainer is Emelin. 1-because he's played RH a lot in the KHL so it won't be a big adjustment. 2-because if he spolits time with Diaz which is what it looks like right now, they don't have to move Campoli or Gorges back and forth.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The no brainer is Emelin. 1-because he's played RH a lot in the KHL so it won't be a big adjustment. 2-because if he spolits time with Diaz which is what it looks like right now, they don't have to move Campoli or Gorges back and forth.
wow Emelin is ambidextrous. sweet deal

Gorges is the safe bet. He's played on the right side every year except this one

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

I wouldn't play Gill on the right side, even if you pointed a gun at me. It would be a disaster!

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:07 PM
boomboommax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I wouldn't play Gill on the right side, even if you pointed a gun at me. It would be a disaster!
I hear ya!!! hahahaha

But I would still be curious to know the reasoning of the poster who voted him as the ideal candidate...

boomboommax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
m00ks

Gorges would make the easiest transition without sacrificing too much effectiveness. Although clearly, him playing on his natural side makes him that much better.

Ideally, Emelin would be best suited for the right side so we can pair him with Markov. Here's hoping he makes that transition.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
wow Emelin is ambidextrous. sweet deal

Gorges is the safe bet. He's played on the right side every year except this one
Gorges should be on our shutdown pair with PK. If you put him back on the right who is your shutdown pair?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

We've seen Gorges on the right, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't know enough about Emelin from the few times I've seen him there.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Gill, Kaberle,Markov can only ever play LD.

Subban,Diaz, Weber can only ever play RD.

Guys like Campoli, Gorges and Emelin all play both sides. Those 3 have played both sides prior to the NHL.

Asking someone like Gill, Kaberle,Markov to switch sides in the NHL isn't even something a coach would even consider IMO.

I think the reason people are noticing that Emelin is having a harder time playing RD than the natural LD is because positioning is even more important playing RD when you are a left hand shot. IMO Emelin will be just fine playing RD when he gets better positioning in general.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Emelin's stated that he's like the honey badger, he doesn't give a **** if he's left or right as long as he plays.

I forget which article I read it from, but I'm pretty sure it was on RDS.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Fozz

Yeah, Gorges proved he's very comfortable on the right side in the last few years.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:52 PM
neofury*

I'd try Gorges and if he can pull it off I think re-signing him would be even more beneficial. We seem to always have a deficiency on one side.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
AntonCH

spacek.....................uhhhh
nvm

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I've said it before but
Emelin-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
would be pretty good.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:08 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Emelin's stated that he's like the honey badger, he doesn't give a **** if he's left or right as long as he plays.

I forget which article I read it from, but I'm pretty sure it was on RDS.
well played sir

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Lions999

Subban-Emelin i think would be awesome together...
Gorges-Kabs i think Gorges can play with anyone and either side...
PP you put PK and Kabs
PK Emelin and Gorges
And the rest doesnt really matter as long those 4 play together...

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
well played sir
Was hoping someone would get that one

I was serious though, he's got the will to play wherever, so I say just play him, he gets better and more comfortable every game.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:36 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Emelin hasn't been nearly as effective since he's started playing on the right side. I'm sure he says he's fine with it, since his goal is PT, but at the end of the day he should be on the left side. I wouldn't mind seeing Campoli play on the right side, I feel as though he's savvy enough to adjust, and Gorges has been great on the right side throughout his career.

Kaberle-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Gill-Campoli

Thats what I'd roll with. Emelin needs a calm force beside him, as does Subban, pairing Emelin and Subban might look good on paper, but I can just imagine it would lead to alot of breakdowns. Let Kabby mentor Subban a little bit, and have Subban play more a defensive roll, and then let his offense come naturally. Right now I think he's pushing it, and it's hurting him. I'd also like to see Emelin try to step up his offensive game next to Gorges.

Also considering his poor play last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see Emelin in the PB and Diaz brought back in for a few games at least, but ultimaterly the lines above are what I want to see until Markov comes back.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Emelin hasn't been nearly as effective since he's started playing on the right side. I'm sure he says he's fine with it, since his goal is PT, but at the end of the day he should be on the left side. I wouldn't mind seeing Campoli play on the right side, I feel as though he's savvy enough to adjust, and Gorges has been great on the right side throughout his career.

Kaberle-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Gill-Campoli

Thats what I'd roll with. Emelin needs a calm force beside him, as does Subban, pairing Emelin and Subban might look good on paper, but I can just imagine it would lead to alot of breakdowns. Let Kabby mentor Subban a little bit, and have Subban play more a defensive roll, and then let his offense come naturally. Right now I think he's pushing it, and it's hurting him. I'd also like to see Emelin try to step up his offensive game next to Gorges.

Also considering his poor play last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see Emelin in the PB and Diaz brought back in for a few games at least, but ultimaterly the lines above are what I want to see until Markov comes back.
This could actually work. You try to distribute the shutdown job between the top two pairs instead of having a top shutdown pair.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Ginu

There's a significant problem with this thread. People can't tell the difference between left and right

I can't count the number of times I've seen Subban - Markov or Gionta - Pleks - Camm in people lineup's. Hint: if you don't see a problem with these lines, you're part of the problem

Last edited by Ginu: 12-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I've said it before but
Emelin-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
would be pretty good.
TurnoverFest

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:41 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
TurnoverFest
Emelin has the least turnovers of all our D.

Emelin will be fine on the off-side once he adjusts. He adjusted fine to the left side, his problem now is he has to work on the positioning for the right side too, which will take another 3-5 games like it did the first time around. Eventually his desire to jump over to the left side will go away and he'll be fine.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Jakomyte

When Markov is back:

Markov-Gorges
Kaberle-Subban
Gill/Campoli-Diaz/Emelin/Weber

For now:

Gorges-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin