HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Connolly Return to Buffalo

Old
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Hideous.
The quote or the mental image?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
The quote or the mental image?
The quote, but now that you mention it…

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Certainly did not think things would play out like this at the time Toronto signed him..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Certainly did not think things would play out like this at the time Toronto signed him..
The story arc is incomplete. He'll break Toronto's heart later in the season.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The story arc is incomplete. He'll break Toronto's heart later in the season.
Exactly. Plenty of time to get hurt.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Leafs24Seven*

So if a 3rd line centre plays a great defensive game, as Timmy C does, and plays "just" 50 games but nets 50 points and that helps the Leafs make the playoffs, thats a bad thing?

Not new, just going along with the theme that if he is injured, the Leafs have zero problems financially paying someone else to step in while Tim collects his millions. There is a clue for ya.

What it comes down to is this, i am happy if Tim C plays 50-60 games and produces 50-60 points not even centering the games top 2 wingers in Lupul/Kessel... eventually he will probably be on that line with them, but until he is, he is doing a heck of a job where he is and every Leafs fans is happy with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Your 3rd line center's primary purpose isn't to net points. A 3rd line centre in generally defensive minded who can play in all situations. I wouldn't judge how good a 3rd line centre is on points. If he's absent and not helping the team for half the season.

Also, are you new? The leafs an abundance of money? Last time I checked they can only spend to the cap just like every other team. Get a clue

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Dreakon

Tim was 100% done here. Even if he could put up respectable numbers in the regular season (which grew more and more debatable with every passing year), he was not a guy to rely on in the playoffs. Not even a tiny bit.

Glad he's working out in Toronto, but anyone that wants him back for even a second is a silly goose.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Tim was 100% done here. Even if he could put up respectable numbers in the regular season (which grew more and more debatable with every passing year), he was not a guy to rely on in the playoffs. Not even a tiny bit.

Glad he's working out in Toronto, but anyone that wants him back for even a second is a silly goose.
Toronto is in a different boat than we are too. They're looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 03-04. We're looking to not only make the playoffs but go deep into them. Connolly may be part of what they need to get there but what he does in the playoffs is a whole other story; he hasn't proven he can lead any team to postseason success.

For the goal of the Leafs this season he may be perfect, but for our goal he's not good enough and we let him go.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
So if a 3rd line centre plays a great defensive game, as Timmy C does, and plays "just" 50 games but nets 50 points and that helps the Leafs make the playoffs, thats a bad thing?

Not new, just going along with the theme that if he is injured, the Leafs have zero problems financially paying someone else to step in while Tim collects his millions. There is a clue for ya.

What it comes down to is this, i am happy if Tim C plays 50-60 games and produces 50-60 points not even centering the games top 2 wingers in Lupul/Kessel... eventually he will probably be on that line with them, but until he is, he is doing a heck of a job where he is and every Leafs fans is happy with him.
Ok..No team would have a "problem" paying someone to step in for an injured player, the fact is if the leafs start to struggle and you're looking for a difference maker, you already forked out 4.75 to Tim which will push you up against the cap for 3rd line production. The leafs situation with money can't ever justify overpaying for a 3rd line player because they can't spend over the cap just like any other team.
Youre also only looking at regular season stats, I understand your team is just looking to get to the playoffs and thats fine, but if you want to go anywhere in the playoffs Tim is not your guy. Arguing he isn't overpaid is like arguing Drew Stafford is a consistent goal scorer.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:47 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Toronto is in a different boat than we are too. They're looking to make the playoffs for the first time since 03-04. We're looking to not only make the playoffs but go deep into them. Connolly may be part of what they need to get there but what he does in the playoffs is a whole other story; he hasn't proven he can lead any team to postseason success.

For the goal of the Leafs this season he may be perfect, but for our goal he's not good enough and we let him go.
yup

exactly what i just said too haha

Old
12-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Time will tell and questions will become answers. Just because he was one way for you does not mean a new home and a supportive fan base will end up with the same results. And as everyone knows, once you get to postseason, ANYTHING can happen, just ask the habs fans from 2 seasons ago.

Quote:
yup

exactly what i just said too haha

Old
12-15-2011, 11:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Time will tell and questions will become answers. Just because he was one way for you does not mean a new home and a supportive fan base will end up with the same results. And as everyone knows, once you get to postseason, ANYTHING can happen, just ask the habs fans from 2 seasons ago.
Insinuating that Sabres fans were unsupportive shows you know little about us. We were beyond supportive the first 7+ seasons, probably longer (not me. I gave up after the Ottawa series ) and it was the last two that truly disgusted the majority of fans. We supported him until his vagina shined through uncontrollably.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Oh the sabres are an unsupportive fan base huh? You guys booed Phaneuf last season not to mention Larry Murphy and Brian McCabe

Old
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Every team cheers and boos, it is called being a "fan", but maybe Timmy C has finally found a new beginning or a new home to where he is not ripped mainly for being hurt. Injuries happen and i am sure he was wishing he was playing instead of being out so many games yr in yr out. Injuries happen, hockey is a rough sport and some guys always seem to have bad luck, just look at Colby Armstrong, but Leafs fans do not boo the guy because he breaks a hand or twists a ankle. Army produces in his way and Connolly gets points when healthy, thus producing. Playoffs are a totally different animal and everything is intensified to a higher degree and judged on a lot less games. I have a feeling if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, you will see Timmy C producing. Either way, Burke was smart to give him a 2 yr deal so he HAS to produce to get the next big payday.
Quote:
Oh the sabres are an unsupportive fan base huh? You guys booed Phaneuf last season not to mention Larry Murphy and Brian McCabe

Old
12-16-2011, 01:39 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Every team cheers and boos, it is called being a "fan", but maybe Timmy C has finally found a new beginning or a new home to where he is not ripped mainly for being hurt. Injuries happen and i am sure he was wishing he was playing instead of being out so many games yr in yr out. Injuries happen, hockey is a rough sport and some guys always seem to have bad luck, just look at Colby Armstrong, but Leafs fans do not boo the guy because he breaks a hand or twists a ankle. Army produces in his way and Connolly gets points when healthy, thus producing. Playoffs are a totally different animal and everything is intensified to a higher degree and judged on a lot less games. I have a feeling if the Leafs make the playoffs this year, you will see Timmy C producing. Either way, Burke was smart to give him a 2 yr deal so he HAS to produce to get the next big payday.
we didnt boo timmy mainly because of injuries it was lack of hustle, and lack of production in the clutch. You're basing his performance on regular season games early in the season which your coach said himself the other night that there is absolutely no pressure in games at this point in the season. Tim cannot handle pressure, you'll see once you start playing in critical games.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:54 AM
Leafs24Seven*

One thing i have noticed about his game is that he is one of those players who you dont notice all the time on the ice, unlike a Phil Kessel, but he does the little things asked of him, like the pk, and back checks well and he sees plays develop well also so he is always in good position. He doesnt always "look" like he is hustling, but thats his game and he plays it very well. His style of play is misleading if you will, but very effective.
Quote:
we didnt boo timmy mainly because of injuries it was lack of hustle, and lack of production in the clutch. You're basing his performance on regular season games early in the season which your coach said himself the other night that there is absolutely no pressure in games at this point in the season. Tim cannot handle pressure, you'll see once you start playing in critical games.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:08 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
One thing i have noticed about his game is that he is one of those players who you dont notice all the time on the ice, unlike a Phil Kessel, but he does the little things asked of him, like the pk, and back checks well and he sees plays develop well also so he is always in good position. He doesnt always "look" like he is hustling, but thats his game and he plays it very well. His style of play is misleading if you will, but very effective.
It would be great if you came back in one calendar year from now to discuss Timmy. I for one would love love love to read your comments about him then. And if you don't, oh well, some of us may peek in on the Leafs board and see what you and others say about Timmy then. The bloom WILL come off the rose. Absolutely confident of this. Toronto ... Enjoy it while it lasts.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Hey, i was only responding to the guy laughing that Timmy will play 50 games and get 50 points, and like i said then, i am fine with that and anything more is gravy to us. I dont expect him to play 82 games and get 110 points, never have. I am happy he cant kill us on the pp anymore when we play you guys tho, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
It would be great if you came back in one calendar year from now to discuss Timmy. I for one would love love love to read your comments about him then. And if you don't, oh well, some of us may peek in on the Leafs board and see what you and others say about Timmy then. The bloom WILL come of the rose. Absolutely confident of this. Toronto ... Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Tim Connolly, the injury-plagued veteran deemed expendable by Buffalo over the summer, comes back to his old stomping grounds on a roll, having scored both goals in the Leafs’ 2-1 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Leino, the youngster Sabres owner Terry Pegula shelled out gobs of cash for during the off-season, is believed to have injured his foot or lower leg against the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday and will be out “for weeks,” according to the Sabres.

That is the same Ville Leino who was brought in to augment a Sabres forward unit that no longer had room for Tim Connolly.

Keep in mind that, at least on paper, this was not two teams trading a pair of players for each other.

At the same time, it was the Sabres organization that decided to woo Leino as part of a housecleaning that left Connolly on the outside looking in. It was their choice.

Buffalo’s logic, at least in the minds of coach Lindy Ruff and GM Darcy Regier, seemed sound.

At 28, Leino was two years younger than Connolly. He seemed more durable, too. And, truth be told, Connolly’s penchant for ending up in the trainer’s room made him one of the biggest scapegoats this side of Scott Norwood in the eyes of the fine citizens of Buffalo.

Yet, after just 30 games of the new season, things have not gone to plan for the limping Sabres.

With heavy expectations heaped on him because of his whopping contract, Leino, who was signed as a centre, registered just two points in his first eight games before requesting to be shifted back to the wing, where he played last season with the Flyers. All the while, critics wondered why a six-year, $27-million US deal was given to a guy who had just 30 career NHL goals.
Quote:
“He was starting to heat up a bit with five points in seven games before the injury,” coach Lindy Ruff said on Thursday. “That’s what we figured we were getting when we signed him: A five-points-in-seven games guy.

“That’s what he is. He’s not going to get you 100 points. But we liked his puck-possession skills and thought he’d be good at getting pucks to our scorers.”

With Leino having recorded just 10 points in 29 games, Ruff figures the former Flyer was trying too hard to live up to his contract, an ailment shared by another big-name free agent pickup, defenceman Christian Ehrhoff.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19131031.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Tim got boo'd the night he had two primary assists on Bruins shorthanders and it didn'r really stop. Lackluster play that leads directly to goals against? Yeah, he was a suck last season.

12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
puckish66

Just a thought on boos. The people who boo are the most powerful fans in sports. It only takes a couple hundred leather lungs, if that, to make it sound like a whole arena is booing. Then everyone uses that sound to justify their own opinion. If enemy fans were smart, they'd boo the home team instead of cheering their own team.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Hey, i was only responding to the guy laughing that Timmy will play 50 games and get 50 points, and like i said then, i am fine with that and anything more is gravy to us. I dont expect him to play 82 games and get 110 points, never have. I am happy he cant kill us on the pp anymore when we play you guys tho, lol.
Nobody has. He's performing at his maximum level right now, you dont seem to understand that. You act as if this is his standard level of play.
Like ZZamboni said come back in a year and tell us your thoughts, dont gloat about such a small sample size

Old
12-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Clock

The Leafs' forum looked much like ours toward the start of their season when Timmy was out.

And ya know... regular season Timmeh really isn't entirely wretched. It's the playoff performance that really helped do him in, at least here. Connolly was one of those guys who taught me to not put too much stock in the regular season, because the playoffs truly are a different beast altogether. His skill is almost unfortunate in that regard, because he'll do reasonably well enough in the regular season that he lends confidence to the team as a whole in the playoffs, and then just disappoints.

Who knows, it's a scenery change for him in Toronto, so maybe they'll get something else. His time was just done here. Regular season means crap when you're counted on to help your team get through the first round and are rendered nearly useless in that regard.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:37 PM
number72

Anyone point out that Timmy is healthy and the guy the sabres got to replace him in Leino is injured. Life is cruel sometimes

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Anyone point out that Timmy is healthy and the guy the sabres got to replace him in Leino is injured. Life is cruel sometimes
No, because a direct comparison to Leino's injury history to Connolly's would be a bit... unfair.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote