HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
While we banter back and forth about Ovi and scoring goals, he has been trending into racking up assists instead of goals. He is getting things done out there, but he is adjusting his game, so you have to be patient. He is not broken. He can still skate and hit and shoot and you know it. His passing has improved, has anyone mentioned that? .
i dont buy that. he is getting things done? he is one point ahead of carlson and wideman and two points better than brooks laich who is also checking the opposition #1 line every night.

he might be getting things done, but not nearly enough of them.

if ovechkin is no longer a lead goal scorer and assists is his game, who is the finisher? we all know scoring is a secondary skill for backstrom. do the caps need to go out and get a new #1 scorer? brouwer or knuble are support players. complimentary players. if 8 isnt going to be the go to goal scorer, wouldnt mcphee need to get the caps a scorer?

Old
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
That is a lot to ask in today's NHL. Too many teams needing those players, especially a physical defenseman.
It's not a lot to ask over McPhee's entire what....14 years here?

Old
12-15-2011, 02:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
You could easily argue that Backstrom is the Caps' best player.
I'm not talking about who is playing best at a particular moment. I'm talking about the best overall player. Ovechkin is that hands down.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Passing over Pronger 3 times looks bad now.

Passing on Chara (despite endless salary cap space then) could also look bad.

Those kind of dmen do become available now and then. They are not McPhee's preference. He like Pothier, Poti and Hamrlik types who are cheaper to acquire.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not talking about who is playing best at a particular moment. I'm talking about the best overall player. Ovechkin is that hands down.
I'm talking about the same thing. So what makes Ovechkin a better overall player than Backstrom?

Old
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you dont think the mcphee has a much different perspective on ovechkin than we do? he knows the truth. he knows if he is hurt. he knows if his attitude or commitment to the game has significantly changed.

he knows if ov is maxxed out and what he is getting is all there is or not.

so, yea. i expect that mcphee as ovechkin's boss knows a lot more about the situation than we do.
He may know it, but he probably also believes he'll get out of the doldrums and return to form.

And that's not what you said in your original post....you didn't say "McPhee knows more than us", you said "he must know what he has in Ovy". You then go on to say in this post, that he already knows. Which is it? He either needs to know, or already knows. IMO he already knows what he's got.

In truth, you're probably giving McPhee way too much credit with what he knows, doesn't know, needs a crystal ball to project, or whatever else you want to throw out. McPhee KNOWS Ovechkin isn't playing up to his abilities. Beyond that, he can speculate about if he can return to form or what it takes to get him there.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'm talking about the same thing. So what makes Ovechkin a better overall player than Backstrom?
A few MVPs, scoring titles, best player in the league/world accolades, etc....pretty obvious.

Backstrom's best season was with Ovy performing at his best. Chicken and the egg....

Old
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Those kind of dmen do become available now and then. They are not McPhee's preference. He like Pothier, Poti and Hamrlik types who are cheaper to acquire.
For what it's worth I had a great conversation with "Grandpa" Dick Patrick last summer about the Pronger trade. He poo pooed that trade right to my face saying Pronger was overrated and he wasn't even Philly's best player in that run. I was shocked but just nodded my head...wasn't about to argue with him on the spot, but I wanted to.

Dick Patrick being the top "Hockey" mind on the team deserves some blame there too.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Spot on.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:05 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
For what it's worth I had a great conversation with "Grandpa" Dick Patrick last summer about the Pronger trade. He poo pooed that trade right to my face saying Pronger was overrated and he wasn't even Philly's best player in that run. I was shocked but just nodded my head...wasn't about to argue with him on the spot, but I wanted to.

Dick Patrick being the top "Hockey" mind on the team deserves some blame there too.
No doubt about it.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:07 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

Him and McPhee think alike then b/c in every other NHL executives mind Chris Pronger is an all world defender that brings everything to the table including leadership and stability. Two things this team lacks.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
GMGM is not as aggressive as some of his more experienced, Stanley cup winning peers. He has never shown to make a bold move when he needed it and when he was rumored, he chickened out on making the big trade. He and Ted were pro salary cap too. The first few years they did well with the cap then they went crazy signing guys like Semin to 6.7 million. At least that contract was a 1 year deal. Let's not forget giving Schultz and Poti the money they are receiving. I am reserving judgement on Ward and Laich contracts until the off season. When it comes to a bidding war, GMGM will lose out to his peers like Burke, Chiarelli, and Rutherford. I didn't knock the Vokoun signing because it was 1.5 million, but I really thought Holtby should have been the starter. His record last year with the big club was great and he showed a lot of confidence. I could care about how he is playing in Hershey currently. The guy deserved a shot and should get a look in the NHL while we are letting in soft goals. If they are going to let him rot, trade him now while there is value.

GMGM has never shown any interest in a physical defenseman. Erskine is, but he isn't a top 4 guy. GMGM is famous for bringing in stop gap, fringe NHL players to fill the roster. Think back to 2000-01. He went after Kiwi, Luc-Pierre, Rohloff, etc. When he signed Tom Poti that was more of a reclamation project. The guy was literally booed out of Edmonton and New York. Remember when he traded for Jurcina the first time? He claimed Jurcina was the type of guy he wanted for the young Caps and his vision. Imo, GMGM needs better glasses for his defensive vision. Sure, he picked Mike Green, but Green is more offensive than he ever will be defensive. I give Mahoney more credit for the Green pick more than I will ever give GMGM credit.

GMGM is a nice guy, he has made some good trades, and he was a tough player. I admired how he took up for the Caps in training camp back after the Caps-Hawks pre-season game. However, that was a decade ago. For a guy that was tough as nails, he has not shown to build a tough roster in 14 years.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Need a thread reboot.