HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals vs. Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Centre. 12.15.2011

Old
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Anyone know if Winnipeg still has the oversize picture of Queen Elizabeth hanging within its arena. I know it use to be there when the first edition of the Jets were in Winnipeg. Wouldn't mind seeing one of Chimera's shots go off frame more than usual and drill the Queen Mum.
Nope it's gone. For the first 4-5 homes games there was a group of people sitting in the upper deck of the one side that brought I huge poster of the queen but they appear to have stopped (probably upset everybody sitting around them)

Anyways, have a good one tonight. Surprised to see Neuvirth start again, he was very average last outing in WPG, but I do not see that many WSH games so what do I know. I see Chimera is tied for the team lead in goals . Is he playing that well, or is it just a product of the team struggling all together?

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you need to come to grips with the reality of hockey. its a defense first game. coaches will not risk a guaranteed point in the standings for a shot at two points in the standings if failure means zero points. if you were watching hockey in the days of the tie, they played for the tie. with ot, they play for ot and then for the tie unless the opposition makes a mistake. as it is now, all teams play for OT, many of those teams play for the shootout.

if you made regulation wins 2 pts and anything in extra time no points and a tie breaker only, conference rivals would play for the 0 sum.
Oh, I have no doubt that doing something like that would dramatically change the way the games are played. I just hate everyone griping about "3 point games" and then jumping to the simple solution of making everything a 2/0 split across the board, including shootouts.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Straight shooter my ass. There is a video of the comment on the Ducks' site. Though it doesn't show the question being asked it surely sounds like he made that comment under his own volition. He found an opportunity to take a shot at the Caps and he took it. Douchey as hell.
I see...an assumption....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Even if he's asked directly he doesn't have to answer it. Those are his words. And while I like straight shooters as a fan, its still unprofessional. If I were the Ducks boss, I wouldn't want a member of my organization, who represents the Ducks, speaking or inferring anything negative about another organization.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

You know what blows? I watched almost every game in the tank era and almost every game since. I have no desire to watch these games right now. I'm pining for the Brian Willsie days.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Even if he's asked directly he doesn't have to answer it. Those are his words. And while I like straight shooters as a fan, its still unprofessional. If I were the Ducks boss, I wouldn't want a member of my organization, who represents the Ducks, speaking or inferring anything negative about another organization.
At least when it's not deserved. I mean they stuck with Bruce through two terrible playoff failures. Most GM's would have fired him after Montreal. And if they kept him past that he likely wouldn't have survived the 8 game loosing streak back in December last year. And it's even more unlikely that he would have been anything but fired after getting swept by an upstart like Tampa. And even after they fired him he wasn't trashed by the likes of McPhee and Leonis. Heck even Ovechkin had nothing but good things to say about Bruce.

The Caps were more then loyal to Bruce and for Bruce to come back with a snipe at the organization that helped him as much as the Caps did is sad.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I see...an assumption....
Assumption? I donít know about that... and i was BBs fan pretty much to the end, but something had to be changed and Bruce was that casualty, the easiest part to replace.... meanwhile, it is true imo, if you are ****ing done here shut the **** up and go coach your own team... what would it look like if our player/s started to say something like: "Well, now Dale Hunter actually practices certain things with us, like 2 on 1's and bluh bluh bluh..." that would be considered a **** move, no?
Same aplys to BB.

Anyways, i hope to God the boys figure out what the **** is going on; in their heads, on the ice, in the locker room, etc...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Again.....IMO, people just *****ing because it's Bruce. The hate must evaporate!

When he was here, every other fanbase hated him because he spoke his mind. He never changed, so you have to assume his bosses didn't give a crap then, probably don't give a crap now. Such a borderline comment that only fans of the team being "offended" would care.

I suspect he won't change and will continue to be a straight shooter, even when he's painfully doing so...

Old
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
You know what blows? I watched almost every game in the tank era and almost every game since. I have no desire to watch these games right now. I'm pining for the Brian Willsie days.
I feel the same way. Its crazy that I kind of lost that loving feeling. But I still do.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Again.....IMO, people just *****ing because it's Bruce. The hate must evaporate!

When he was here, every other fanbase hated him because he spoke his mind. He never changed, so you have to assume his bosses didn't give a crap then, probably don't give a crap now. Such a borderline comment that only fans of the team being "offended" would care.

I suspect he won't change and will continue to be a straight shooter, even when he's painfully doing so...
Oh believe me as I posted here I expected to hear from BB. I didn't expect this fast though!

And just cause they hired him doesn't mean they expected him to change... much. They may have asked him to tone it down. Or they may not give a damn. Its why I said if "I" were the Ducks boss. But there would be a lot of unhappy campers if "I" was in charge of everything!

Old
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Assumption? I donít know about that... and i was BBs fan pretty much to the end, but something had to be changed and Bruce was that casualty, the easiest part to replace.... meanwhile, it is true imo, if you are ****ing done here shut the **** up and go coach your own team... what would it look like if our player/s started to say something like: "Well, now Dale Hunter actually practices certain things with us, like 2 on 1's and bluh bluh bluh..." that would be considered a **** move, no?
Same aplys to BB.

Anyways, i hope to God the boys figure out what the **** is going on; in their heads, on the ice, in the locker room, etc...

The assumption is not knowing the question that was asked, whether or not the Caps were specifically asked about, and just assuming that he dropped the dime on the Caps unsolicited. Maybe he did, but I haven't seen the question that was asked.

Either way...this team and this fanbase has much bigger concerns than to worry about a coach no longer with the organization. I'm a HUGE believer in not sweating the small stuff, and this is a prime example of that. WHO CARES? You know who cares, people who can't brush things off and take things too personally instead of worrying about themselves.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm right there with you brother....

Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Question for Caps fans: I know that Neuvirth and Vokoun are going through a rough stretch right now, so why not call up Holtby from the farm? He was unreal for you guys last year.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I don't think BB thinks he's trashing the Caps org. I think he's trying to set his view on why he was fired. And that view aligns somewhat with GMGMG for sure... and maybe fully. I think if BB continued that line of thought he's say "99% of the time was great in DC... I have nothing bad to say about the org. It's just these first 20 games this year"

BB is 100% about deflecting blame. And that's all he's consciously or subconsciously doing.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Its the higher SC expectations vs. the rebuild expectations that makes it difficult and it does with me as well. Personally had some really high expectations for this season's team but once BB was let go I had to take it down like 3 notches. Still early in the season so tend to try and wait till late Jan or Feb before getting a better feel of what this season is going to end up with. I expect they'll make the playoffs. Caps have been seeded pretty high the last few years so maybe a little more adversity to get into the playoffs might be needed.

My hope for tonights game is for Neuvirth to have a decent game. Sub 900 SP just blows.

12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Question for Caps fans: I know that Neuvirth and Vokoun are going through a rough stretch right now, so why not call up Holtby from the farm? He was unreal for you guys last year.
Hotlby's SP down at hershey isn't that great as well probably due to not getting a ton of shots.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
The assumption is not knowing the question that was asked, whether or not the Caps were specifically asked about, and just assuming that he dropped the dime on the Caps unsolicited. Maybe he did, but I haven't seen the question that was asked.

Either way...this team and this fanbase has much bigger concerns than to worry about a coach no longer with the organization. I'm a HUGE believer in not sweating the small stuff, and this is a prime example of that. WHO CARES? You know who cares, people who can't brush things off and take things too personally instead of worrying about themselves.
I donít really give **** if he was asked and what he was asked... he should have ended his sentence before: "... and thatís includes the Capitals..." As HSHS said its unprofessional. not only to the players that had a lot to do with his successes here but to the organization in general. And as i said, Iím BB fan and Iím not sweating anything, just agreeing with previous poster on this matter.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Oh, I have no doubt that doing something like that would dramatically change the way the games are played. I just hate everyone griping about "3 point games" and then jumping to the simple solution of making everything a 2/0 split across the board, including shootouts.
release your shootout hate. its the rule. removing the loser point will force teams that have an obvious disadvantage in the shootout to press harder for an OT goal. teams like the rangers and pens will continue to play for the shootout, but teams playing them will work them harder.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
n3ss

Quote:
outside of the fact that he hasn't been great in hershey, i don't think we have the salary cap space to bring him up.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
I'm a Jets fan reading your GDT to help with my expectations for the evening so I thought I'd drop by and wish you luck. It would be nice to see Ovechkin as his exciting old self so I hope he plays well but the Jets win I like seeing the Jets play the Caps, mostly because Byfuglien pays a lot more attention to defense against them.

With the exception of Carolina the division standings are the exact opposite of what I expected at the beginning of the year. I'm not familiar with Hunter but I thought Boudreau was a moron (just my opinion), so I expect the Caps to improve and still make the playoffs this year.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
i think there is a league roster rule against 3 healthy goalies. i think the league issues a waiver for goalies that are injured enough to miss while day to day.

i also think the that the caps will establish that neuvirth cant regain his game with some regular starts before they look at holtby. neuvirth cant be sent to hershey without waivers and he wouldnt clear.

my view is that if the caps give neuvirth 3 of the next 4 games, he will take the starting job.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
um

Quote:
I don't think BB thinks he's trashing the Caps org. I think he's trying to set his view on why he was fired. And that view aligns somewhat with GMGMG for sure... and maybe fully. I think if BB continued that line of thought he's say "99% of the time was great in DC... I have nothing bad to say about the org. It's just these first 20 games this year"

BB is 100% about deflecting blame. And that's all he's consciously or subconsciously doing.
maybe he's trying to get us going like bradley and steckel were to semin

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:21 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
release your shootout hate. its the rule. removing the loser point will force teams that have an obvious disadvantage in the shootout to press harder for an OT goal. teams like the rangers and pens will continue to play for the shootout, but teams playing them will work them harder.
Meh, everyone has something that they're allowed to be unreasonably strong-willed about, this is my thing. Despite how it may seem from my writing it doesn't actually cause me stress.

Also the way the league dealt with the shootout last season makes me think they're not close to changing to the 2/0 across-the-board format. Whatever, it's all spitballin'.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Hi we're terrible.

Continue the lose parade.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:

He's also trying to pump Anaheim's tires, something he's really good at and places a lot of importance in...until he's tuned out.

Myself, I lost respect for his judgment when he started talking about Bylsma and being a father. The man is petty. He's like a wrastlin' manager in some respects.

Try not to get embarrassed tonight.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote