HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC

Old
12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He had Kassian done early (by their standards) last year too after camp. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances there, but still...

It just goes to show how how we as a fan base have been conditioned by their operations over the last decade plus.
It started with Myers, really. If it wasn't for Kassian's arrest he would've been signed before that training camp. Signing Sundher today is SOS.

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Pro activity we are not used to. Nice. Miss Stephenson, the blonde? Nice.

Niceeee.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.
I believe there is no limit on the number of AHL contracts a team can have because there is no roster limit.
The only problem is that if the player has any real potential, they are not likely to accept an AHL contract because there are better options.
If they have talent, someone will likely give them an ELC or NHL SPC, even if it's just a minimum contract.
That gives them a lot more opportunity and also usually pays significantly more.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.
I think they're already doing that and will likely continue to do so. It allows them to keep a player they like, who's gone through their development cycle, but not on the 50-contract limit. There was a little talk about it in the Rochester thread, but back in September so it's fairly buried now.

I've seen Shipley enough to not want him retained. He's yet to show me any inner spark and DeGray's comments when he traded him ring true with almost every viewing. Agozzino on the other hand... love his game and on an AHL-level deal, would be happy to have him in the fold as minor-league depth with some upside.

12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

He was real impressive in the limited viewing I got at development camp. And the reports coming in this season seem just as impressive. He and Catenacci are nice to have in the fold for some depth down the line.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
joshjull

Its kind of weird looking ahead that we will actually have 2 young centers in the fold (Adam/Sundher) then the year after there will be 3 (Catenacci).

It will be a welcomed changed.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its kind of weird looking ahead that we will actually have 2 young centers in the fold (Adam/Sundher) then the year after there will be 3 (Catenacci).

It will be a welcomed changed.
Hoping one of them can blossom

Old
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

good stuff

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I believe there is no limit on the number of AHL contracts a team can have because there is no roster limit.
The only problem is that if the player has any real potential, they are not likely to accept an AHL contract because there are better options.
If they have talent, someone will likely give them an ELC or NHL SPC, even if it's just a minimum contract.
That gives them a lot more opportunity and also usually pays significantly more.
It's a gamble for sure, but one that could pay off. They managed to get Varone on an AHL deal, likely because he failed with the Sharks, but had to give ELCs to Sydlowski and Parker. Judging from my limited viewings and the opinions of a few of the Rochester fans, neither of those is working very well so far.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Hoping one of them can blossom
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).

Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).

Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?
Have we ever ?? I don't think so. Not that many U-22. Wouldn't be opposed to flipping one of our billion dmen prospects for a center prospect either.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
gallagt01

Congratulations to Sundher. It's nice to have him in the fold so early.

Does anyone know what ethnicity he is?

Quote:
As am I.

I can't. It's great to see. In a couple years we may actually have quality depth at the position.

That said, it'd be nice to have that blue-chip, high level prospect down there to go along with them.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

I can't. It's great to see. In a couple years we may actually have quality depth at the position.

That said, it'd be nice to have that blue-chip, high level prospect down there to go along with them.
I remember reading that he has an Indian background? He is obviously Canadian.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
I remember reading that he has an Indian background? He is obviously Canadian.
That's what I assumed, but I can't find anything on his last name to clarify. Thanks.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
As am I.

We did have Marek Zagrapan and Felix Schutz a few years back.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Will we see him in Rochester after his juniors season is finished?

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:12 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
It definitely depends on how the W playoffs go…

Old
12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Rammstein816

The cap hit for Sundher is nice and low. Good on Darcy for making that happen!

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2145

Old
12-15-2011, 05:25 PM
jfb392

Quote:
It's a gamble for sure, but one that could pay off. They managed to get Varone on an AHL deal, likely because he failed with the Sharks, but had to give ELCs to Sydlowski and Parker. Judging from my limited viewings and the opinions of a few of the Rochester fans, neither of those is working very well so far.
I think Parker and Szydlowski will find their way, but there's definitely some adjustment that has to take place from juniors to the professional ranks.
Of course the opinions on them will be negative; they are rookies, so they are automatically garbage.
They have to have little to no upside to be held in high regard down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

He's Punjabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Like I said in the Amerks thread, it really depends on when his season ends, which in turn depends on whether or not he's traded.
Just as I predicted, Victoria is a bottom feeder (and they'll likely get worse, seeing as they have by far the worst GA in the WHL), so they'll likely trade him if he's willing.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:
The cap hit for Sundher is nice and low. Good on Darcy for making that happen!

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2145
And it will end up even lower since he won't be playing in the NHL this season.

Next year it will be $601,667 because of entry-level slide ($615,000 + $615,000 + $665,000 - $90,000 [one of the signing bonuses comes out of the equation because of the slide] / 3 = $601,667).

If he plays in Rochester at the end of the season, I can't wait to explain the entry-level slide rule over and over.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
And it will end up even lower since he won't be playing in the NHL this season.

Next year it will be $601,667 because of entry-level slide ($615,000 + $615,000 + $665,000 - $90,000 [one of the signing bonuses comes out of the equation because of the slide] / 3 = $601,667).

If he plays in Rochester at the end of the season, I can't wait to explain the entry-level slide rule over and over.
I may suggest a "FAQ of the NHL CBA" stickied thread for the Sabres board here. It will be appreciated by those who focus more on the team at hand rather than the ins and outs of prospect contracts. I, myself, am highly interested in learning the ins and outs of the CBA that I don't know, but I also understand that others don't have time to learn or have too busy of a life to remember. If I remembered as much for my job as I do about hockey, I'd probably be further along in my career at this point.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
I think Parker and Szydlowski will find their way, but there's definitely some adjustment that has to take place from juniors to the professional ranks.
Of course the opinions on them will be negative; they are rookies, so they are automatically garbage.
They have to have little to no upside to be held in high regard down there.
Not all Rochester fans are the same as those represented here, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I lurk on a few Rochester boards and you can get some better idea of how they are performing. Apparently there is a problem with the ice time disbursement where Rolston overplays his top 2 lines and underplays his bottom 2. Of course, the AHL doesn't track icetime so you'd never be able to be certain. From what I've witnessed, they've been unnoticeable and that's disappointing. If we had more AHLers down there and less injuries perhaps they'd see some regular ECHL playing time, which would likely help their development.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Not all Rochester fans are the same as those represented here, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I lurk on a few Rochester boards and you can get some better idea of how they are performing. Apparently there is a problem with the ice time disbursement where Rolston overplays his top 2 lines and underplays his bottom 2. Of course, the AHL doesn't track icetime so you'd never be able to be certain. From what I've witnessed, they've been unnoticeable and that's disappointing. If we had more AHLers down there and less injuries perhaps they'd see some regular ECHL playing time, which would likely help their development.
I know that.
The majority are fine but there are a few that really bother me, so I always like to prod them.

Szydlowski hasn't been good enough, but I expected a bit of a slow transition from him.
Parker was pretty noticeable at the beginning of the season but fell off after getting suspended for that stupid high sticking incident.
He's been injured and such too and like you said, they don't get a whole lot of ice time.
I'm not a big fan of Rolston so far, but that's OT.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
I may suggest a "FAQ of the NHL CBA" stickied thread for the Sabres board here. It will be appreciated by those who focus more on the team at hand rather than the ins and outs of prospect contracts. I, myself, am highly interested in learning the ins and outs of the CBA that I don't know, but I also understand that others don't have time to learn or have too busy of a life to remember. If I remembered as much for my job as I do about hockey, I'd probably be further along in my career at this point.
No need. Just go to any thread and ask jfb. For a 20 year old, it's mind boggling how he knows the ins and outs of the CBA + junior hockey.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
No need. Just go to any thread and ask jfb. For a 20 year old, it's mind boggling how he knows the ins and outs of the CBA + junior hockey.
He wanted a method to prevent him from having to repeat it over and over again. I merely suggested the stickied thread. It's up to him and the mods to decide whether to go with it or not. I'm surprised that he can find that much info in a publicy viewable place. I know you can read the CBA, but it's kind of like the dictionary or the constitution. I imagine he has a public place online that he goes to find the necessary relevant info for each discussion.