HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundher signed to 3 Year ELC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
  #26
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He had Kassian done early (by their standards) last year too after camp. Granted, there were some extenuating circumstances there, but still...

It just goes to show how how we as a fan base have been conditioned by their operations over the last decade plus.
It started with Myers, really. If it wasn't for Kassian's arrest he would've been signed before that training camp. Signing Sundher today is SOS.

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
  #27
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Pro activity we are not used to. Nice. Miss Stephenson, the blonde? Nice.

Niceeee.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
  #28
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.
I believe there is no limit on the number of AHL contracts a team can have because there is no roster limit.
The only problem is that if the player has any real potential, they are not likely to accept an AHL contract because there are better options.
If they have talent, someone will likely give them an ELC or NHL SPC, even if it's just a minimum contract.
That gives them a lot more opportunity and also usually pays significantly more.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
  #29
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,812
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Perhaps this deserves it's own thread (feel free to break it off if need be). Does anyone else think Regier should take advantage of Pegula owning both teams and offer more AHL contracts (similar to what Varone, Voakes, Legault, and Fienhage are on) to get an extended look at the prospects. Is there a limit to how many players can be signed to AHL contracts? Can they sign a bunch of players and stash them in the ECHL until injuries occur or they deserve a callup? Something about Shipley makes me not want to give up on him. I think it's the raw talent and the fact that the thing holding him back most is his work ethic.
I think they're already doing that and will likely continue to do so. It allows them to keep a player they like, who's gone through their development cycle, but not on the 50-contract limit. There was a little talk about it in the Rochester thread, but back in September so it's fairly buried now.

I've seen Shipley enough to not want him retained. He's yet to show me any inner spark and DeGray's comments when he traded him ring true with almost every viewing. Agozzino on the other hand... love his game and on an AHL-level deal, would be happy to have him in the fold as minor-league depth with some upside.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:38 PM
  #30
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,528
vCash: 500
He was real impressive in the limited viewing I got at development camp. And the reports coming in this season seem just as impressive. He and Catenacci are nice to have in the fold for some depth down the line.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
  #31
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,277
vCash: 500
Its kind of weird looking ahead that we will actually have 2 young centers in the fold (Adam/Sundher) then the year after there will be 3 (Catenacci).


It will be a welcomed changed.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:01 PM
  #32
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its kind of weird looking ahead that we will actually have 2 young centers in the fold (Adam/Sundher) then the year after there will be 3 (Catenacci).


It will be a welcomed changed.
Hoping one of them can blossom

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
  #33
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
good stuff

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
  #34
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I believe there is no limit on the number of AHL contracts a team can have because there is no roster limit.
The only problem is that if the player has any real potential, they are not likely to accept an AHL contract because there are better options.
If they have talent, someone will likely give them an ELC or NHL SPC, even if it's just a minimum contract.
That gives them a lot more opportunity and also usually pays significantly more.
It's a gamble for sure, but one that could pay off. They managed to get Varone on an AHL deal, likely because he failed with the Sharks, but had to give ELCs to Sydlowski and Parker. Judging from my limited viewings and the opinions of a few of the Rochester fans, neither of those is working very well so far.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
  #35
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 34,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Hoping one of them can blossom
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).


Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  #36
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).


Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?
Have we ever ?? I don't think so. Not that many U-22. Wouldn't be opposed to flipping one of our billion dmen prospects for a center prospect either.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
  #37
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,650
vCash: 500
Congratulations to Sundher. It's nice to have him in the fold so early.

Does anyone know what ethnicity he is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).


Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?

I can't. It's great to see. In a couple years we may actually have quality depth at the position.

That said, it'd be nice to have that blue-chip, high level prospect down there to go along with them.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
  #38
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Congratulations to Sundher. It's nice to have him in the fold so early.

Does anyone know what ethnicity he is?




I can't. It's great to see. In a couple years we may actually have quality depth at the position.

That said, it'd be nice to have that blue-chip, high level prospect down there to go along with them.
I remember reading that he has an Indian background? He is obviously Canadian.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
  #39
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I remember reading that he has an Indian background? He is obviously Canadian.
That's what I assumed, but I can't find anything on his last name to clarify. Thanks.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:47 PM
  #40
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
As am I.

Barring trades, starting the 13-14 season (1.5 seasons from now) we'll have two center prospects in Rochester only 21 and 20 years old as well as a 22 year old center in Buffalo (Adam).


Can anyone remember the last time we had so many young centers in the mix like we might in 13-14?
We did have Marek Zagrapan and Felix Schutz a few years back.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  #41
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Will we see him in Rochester after his juniors season is finished?

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:12 PM
  #42
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Will we see him in Rochester after his juniors season is finished?
It definitely depends on how the W playoffs go…

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
  #43
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
The cap hit for Sundher is nice and low. Good on Darcy for making that happen!

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2145

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:25 PM
  #44
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
It's a gamble for sure, but one that could pay off. They managed to get Varone on an AHL deal, likely because he failed with the Sharks, but had to give ELCs to Sydlowski and Parker. Judging from my limited viewings and the opinions of a few of the Rochester fans, neither of those is working very well so far.
I think Parker and Szydlowski will find their way, but there's definitely some adjustment that has to take place from juniors to the professional ranks.
Of course the opinions on them will be negative; they are rookies, so they are automatically garbage.
They have to have little to no upside to be held in high regard down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Congratulations to Sundher. It's nice to have him in the fold so early.

Does anyone know what ethnicity he is?
He's Punjabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Will we see him in Rochester after his juniors season is finished?
Like I said in the Amerks thread, it really depends on when his season ends, which in turn depends on whether or not he's traded.
Just as I predicted, Victoria is a bottom feeder (and they'll likely get worse, seeing as they have by far the worst GA in the WHL), so they'll likely trade him if he's willing.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:29 PM
  #45
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
The cap hit for Sundher is nice and low. Good on Darcy for making that happen!

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2145
And it will end up even lower since he won't be playing in the NHL this season.

Next year it will be $601,667 because of entry-level slide ($615,000 + $615,000 + $665,000 - $90,000 [one of the signing bonuses comes out of the equation because of the slide] / 3 = $601,667).

If he plays in Rochester at the end of the season, I can't wait to explain the entry-level slide rule over and over.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
  #46
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
And it will end up even lower since he won't be playing in the NHL this season.

Next year it will be $601,667 because of entry-level slide ($615,000 + $615,000 + $665,000 - $90,000 [one of the signing bonuses comes out of the equation because of the slide] / 3 = $601,667).

If he plays in Rochester at the end of the season, I can't wait to explain the entry-level slide rule over and over.
I may suggest a "FAQ of the NHL CBA" stickied thread for the Sabres board here. It will be appreciated by those who focus more on the team at hand rather than the ins and outs of prospect contracts. I, myself, am highly interested in learning the ins and outs of the CBA that I don't know, but I also understand that others don't have time to learn or have too busy of a life to remember. If I remembered as much for my job as I do about hockey, I'd probably be further along in my career at this point.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
  #47
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think Parker and Szydlowski will find their way, but there's definitely some adjustment that has to take place from juniors to the professional ranks.
Of course the opinions on them will be negative; they are rookies, so they are automatically garbage.
They have to have little to no upside to be held in high regard down there.
Not all Rochester fans are the same as those represented here, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I lurk on a few Rochester boards and you can get some better idea of how they are performing. Apparently there is a problem with the ice time disbursement where Rolston overplays his top 2 lines and underplays his bottom 2. Of course, the AHL doesn't track icetime so you'd never be able to be certain. From what I've witnessed, they've been unnoticeable and that's disappointing. If we had more AHLers down there and less injuries perhaps they'd see some regular ECHL playing time, which would likely help their development.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
  #48
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Not all Rochester fans are the same as those represented here, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I lurk on a few Rochester boards and you can get some better idea of how they are performing. Apparently there is a problem with the ice time disbursement where Rolston overplays his top 2 lines and underplays his bottom 2. Of course, the AHL doesn't track icetime so you'd never be able to be certain. From what I've witnessed, they've been unnoticeable and that's disappointing. If we had more AHLers down there and less injuries perhaps they'd see some regular ECHL playing time, which would likely help their development.
I know that.
The majority are fine but there are a few that really bother me, so I always like to prod them.

Szydlowski hasn't been good enough, but I expected a bit of a slow transition from him.
Parker was pretty noticeable at the beginning of the season but fell off after getting suspended for that stupid high sticking incident.
He's been injured and such too and like you said, they don't get a whole lot of ice time.
I'm not a big fan of Rolston so far, but that's OT.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
  #49
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
I may suggest a "FAQ of the NHL CBA" stickied thread for the Sabres board here. It will be appreciated by those who focus more on the team at hand rather than the ins and outs of prospect contracts. I, myself, am highly interested in learning the ins and outs of the CBA that I don't know, but I also understand that others don't have time to learn or have too busy of a life to remember. If I remembered as much for my job as I do about hockey, I'd probably be further along in my career at this point.
No need. Just go to any thread and ask jfb. For a 20 year old, it's mind boggling how he knows the ins and outs of the CBA + junior hockey.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
  #50
Rammstein816
Registered User
 
Rammstein816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
No need. Just go to any thread and ask jfb. For a 20 year old, it's mind boggling how he knows the ins and outs of the CBA + junior hockey.
He wanted a method to prevent him from having to repeat it over and over again. I merely suggested the stickied thread. It's up to him and the mods to decide whether to go with it or not. I'm surprised that he can find that much info in a publicy viewable place. I know you can read the CBA, but it's kind of like the dictionary or the constitution. I imagine he has a public place online that he goes to find the necessary relevant info for each discussion.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.