HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article: Habs Secret Society, Fans kept in the dark

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2011, 04:13 PM
  #26
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,731
vCash: 500
The media has only themselves to blame for their "worst day in Habs history" type crap.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  #27
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
So I'll go out on a limb here and assume we won't see the HBO 24/7 special in Montreal any time soon?

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
  #28
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
im thinking the Gazette likes Hickey

Say what ya want about the guy he is a provocative mastermind.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
  #29
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
This is the second crap article Hickey has written this week, but at least this one pertained to hockey. I hope he never strays from writing hockey articles again, it's quite clear he can barely do that

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
  #30
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,336
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
im thinking the Gazette likes Hickey

Say what ya want about the guy he is a provocative mastermind.
I'm thinking they had him write this marginally controversial article hastily to help bury another, much more controversial article he authored earlier in the week

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
  #31
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,803
vCash: 500
I love it to be honest. I know it sucks for us fans a bit, but I remember during the draft journalist would all talk about how he missed this guy and that guy in that draft, etc. First time PG did when he became GM was that no one can speak to the media other than him or the head coach, no scouts, no ast GM, no ast coaches.

I'm not saying those questions might have effected those guys from doing their jobs but why have them worry about what the media says.

I think the journalist are just butt-hurt that they can't get information like they use to. And someone mentioned how nice it would be to have a GM like Burke that speaks his mind. After trading his draft picks, Burke went on saying how July 1st would be his draft day, he went on to sign Komisarek that day. Last offseason he said was going sign a 1st line C (Richards) on July 1st, he signed Connelly. I'm not saying those are bad signings but compared to the exception he set up for fans its not that great.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
  #32
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm thinking they had him write this marginally controversial article hastily to help bury another, much more controversial article he authored earlier in the week
LOL, You guys seriously think the Spin-Doctors are at work @ the Gazette?
Our little Gazoo ain't the BBC/CNN.

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
  #33
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
People are overreacting big time on that article. I don't even like Hickey but frankly he doesn't deserve to be fired over that.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
  #34
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
So why is it OK for the Rutherford's & the Burke's to be straight up in their Cities? The Habs treat their fans like children sometimes.
.

But we still go to the games, buy the jerseys, watch games on TV and gather around HFB to talk about them all day, even in the summer.

They make a crap ton of money every season. They have no incentive to change.

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
  #35
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I love it to be honest. I know it sucks for us fans a bit, but I remember during the draft journalist would all talk about how he missed this guy and that guy in that draft, etc. First time PG did when he became GM was that no one can speak to the media other than him or the head coach, no scouts, no ast GM, no ast coaches.

I'm not saying those questions might have effected those guys from doing their jobs but why have them worry about what the media says.

I think the journalist are just butt-hurt that they can't get information like they use to. And someone mentioned how nice it would be to have a GM like Burke that speaks his mind. After trading his draft picks, Burke went on saying how July 1st would be his draft day, he went on to sign Komisarek that day. Last offseason he said was going sign a 1st line C (Richards) on July 1st, he signed Connelly. I'm not saying those are bad signings but compared to the exception he set up for fans its not that great.
The first minute something Burke says winds up burning the team fans won't be too happy and it's bound to happen. The reason they likely don't give details about injuries is that it's best that your opponents know as little as possible about your injuries.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
  #36
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The first minute something Burke says winds up burning the team fans won't be too happy and it's bound to happen. The reason they likely don't give details about injuries is that it's best that your opponents know as little as possible about your injuries.
I guarantee that teams have their own "espionage" to get those details.

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
  #37
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
.

But we still go to the games, buy the jerseys, watch games on TV and gather around HFB to talk about them all day, even in the summer.

They make a crap ton of money every season. They have no incentive to change.
Having a sports franchise in your city isn't something you're entitled to. It's a privilege and should be treated like one.

If people don't like it they can follow another team or not at all, and I'm by no way suggesting anyone here do but just a general statement really. Be happy you have a team. We could be Atlanta etc. We've also had a lot of success in history. It's a sport, if the habs won every single year it would be very a lame one. I do expect more success from this team and management but journalists (and fans) need to stop talking about the team like it's a right, it's a privilege. Not every city has a team like ours, no city has a hockey team with our history. We may not have it great right now but this "what have you done for me lately" attitude people have is really bad.

I want the team to win as much as the next guy and I don't see why fans have a problem with our team protecting their best interests whether it's monetary, on the ice or both. I don't see why as fans we act so divided, the people that love management think the people who don't and vice versa. We are all real fans, but people shouldn't act entitled. This team deserves support whether in last or first, whether with Martin or Bowman. This is our team we're lucky to have one. I'm surprised a lot of people don't see that considering the Expos.

Our team doesn't give sensitive information out to the media. What's the big deal?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
  #38
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 500
If our ''secret society'' really works, sooner or later we'll see the results.

Molson's loyalty to management will be put to the test in the near future.

I have my feeling that our ''men upstairs'' are here for the long haul .. win or lose

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:04 PM
  #39
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
@CI yep! "men upstairs"

A lot of people out there still believe Gainey is making the decisions.

who knows.....

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:13 PM
  #40
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
@CI yep! "men upstairs"

A lot of people out there still believe Gainey is making the decisions.

who knows.....
Really? I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of a team of decision makers. Gauthier being the veto I guess. Outright running the team though... that's ridiculous.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
  #41
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Much better article by Mr. Hickey. Are the Habs behind the times?
That's the opposite. Enforcing information discipline is hard and difficult, especially in today's context where technologies allow any bit of rumor to spread widely. It's something that organizations of the old were not able to do, for lack of expertise and awareness of its importance.

Hickey article only makes sense from his point of view. He gives example of information the habs should have been open with, saying that the media could have put "a positive spin on it", while historically, the media have never been shy of putting the spin that benefited them the most, for every story.

About the idea of the media boycotting the habs to prove a point... lol... fans are going to watch the games no matter what. On the other hand, how many people read the Journal de Montréal for its sport section? They would sell half their numbers of copies overnight if they would do anything like this.

And as for management treating fans like children... the fans ARE children. It's amazing how so many of them completely lose their mind about the habs, and make grandiose claims about how the team should be managed, claims they would never think about making for any other business. Just see of how some posters here think that "management is purposely trying to me mediocre", or why there would be no problem in tanking and how there's no reason why the team could lose value this way.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:43 PM
  #42
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm thinking they had him write this marginally controversial article hastily to help bury another, much more controversial article he authored earlier in the week
I think Hickey is using the Columbo method... Check out his credentials.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit though. He does look dumb.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
  #43
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
So why is it OK for the Rutherford's & the Burke's to be straight up in their Cities? The Habs treat their fans like children sometimes.
You want some idiot who loves the sound of his own voice instead. What is so great about a Burke press conference, "if there is a move to be made that will better our team we will take it under consideration". Does he ever say anything more enlightening than that?

Also maybe you forget how long the "straight up" Burke denied Reimer had a concussion.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
  #44
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
@CI yep! "men upstairs"

A lot of people out there still believe Gainey is making the decisions.

who knows.....
certainly not any ladies...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
  #45
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Could the NHL force them to participate ina 24/7 type of series or would the team be allowed to say no because its a 100% guarantee that JM nad PG wouldnt want want any part of this

Are the habs still the only team in the nhl that doesnt allow

The head scout to talk to the press even on draft day?
The assistant coach -goalie coach to do interviews?
The head coach to not do bench interviews during the game?

I still cant believe that they refuse to tell the press the terms of a player contract when it is an NHL rule to make them public

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
  #46
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Could the NHL force them to participate ina 24/7 type of series or would the team be allowed to say no because its a 100% guarantee that JM nad PG wouldnt want want any part of this

Are the habs still the only team in the nhl that doesnt allow

The head scout to talk to the press even on draft day?
The assistant coach -goalie coach to do interviews?
The head coach to not do bench interviews during the game?

I still cant believe that they refuse to tell the press the terms of a player contract when it is an NHL rule to make them public
You think HBO a company looking for entertainment value is going to invest in the Habs from Quebec a French province when JM is our coach? I'd figure Leafs would get one long before us if ever. Doubt we ever see a Habs 24-7, would welcome it though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
  #47
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I want the Habs to take every step to improve their chances of winning. By not disclosing information, other teams can't take advantage of what they know.

Example: If the Habs had been straight up about Markov, Carolina may have been able to squeeze more out of them knowing they had a big need for a puck-mover.

Another example: If nobody knew Ribeiro was a locker-room distraction, then Gainey probably would have been able to get a little more for him.

Just little things like that. Of course the media is going to complain about it. They want stories to write articles about.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
  #48
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
It sounds like Hickey is a little upset that the Canadiens organization makes it so tough to get stories. Although I do agree that secrecy doesn't do anything to calm the masses (i.e. us)

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
  #49
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,327
vCash: 500
Unless he's being critical of other teams, Burke never says anything either. He talks a lot, but doesn't say anything.

There was an article about a week ago complaining how secretive and misleading the Leafs management are. Stop using Burke as an example of what a GM should be.

CGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:02 PM
  #50
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 500
I can see how being secretive keeps some non-sense from the media to a minimum, but it is s no annoying when they make a trade and there is no explanation as to the rationale. But I guess that is the point, it avoids being condemned when things don't go as planned.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.