HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Depth Chart Ranking

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2011, 02:57 PM
  #1
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Prospect Depth Chart Ranking

So I am really, really bored at work, put together a ranking of all the Habs prospects for my site with a couple words for each. (not counting guys on AHL contracts or Emelin since he has graduated or older guys like St-Denis who turns 26 next month and Blunden who turns 25 today) I ranked them on upside but mixed in how they are playing so far this season. I have seen every prospect play either a full game or clips (have only seen clips of Westin, Nygren, Dietz and Pribyl, not full game action)

Here's the ranking, the comments can be found at my site if you want to read them (nothing in depth since it takes a while to rank 39 prospects)

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Danny Kristo
5. Jarred Tinordi
6. MichaŽl Bournival
7. Mac Bennett
8. Steve Quailer
9. Morgan Ellis
10. Mark MacMillan
11. Magnus Nygren
12. Aaron Palushaj
13. Alexander Avtsin
14. Darren Dietz
15. Greg Pateryn
16. Daniel Pribly
17. Josiah Didier
18. Dustin Walsh
19. Gabriel Dumont
20. Andreas Engqvist
21. Brendon Nash
22. Olivier Archambault
23. Andrew Conboy
24. Colin Sullivan
25. Dany Massť
26. Peter Delmas
27. Joonas Nšttinen
28. Maxim Trunev
29. Mark Mitera
30. Olivier Fortier
31. Ian Schultz
32. Joe Stejskal
33. Scott Kishel
34. Philippe Lefebvre
35. John Westin
36. Hunter Bishop
37. Alain Berger
38. Mike Cichy
39. Robert Mayer

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
  #2
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,469
vCash: 500
Top 10 in my opinion

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Jarred Tinordi
4. Brendan Gallagher
5. Danny Kristo
6. MichaŽl Bournival
7. Aaron Palushaj
8. Steve Quailer
9. Morgan Ellis
10. Mac Bennett

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
  #3
pc_md
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Well done !

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:09 PM
  #4
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So I am really, really bored at work, put together a ranking of all the Habs prospects for my site with a couple words for each. (not counting guys on AHL contracts or Emelin since he has graduated or older guys like St-Denis who turns 26 next month and Blunden who turns 25 today) I ranked them on upside but mixed in how they are playing so far this season. I have seen every prospect play either a full game or clips (have only seen clips of Westin, Nygren, Dietz and Pribyl, not full game action)

Here's the ranking, the comments can be found at my site if you want to read them (nothing in depth since it takes a while to rank 39 prospects)

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Danny Kristo
5. Jarred Tinordi
6. MichaŽl Bournival
7. Mac Bennett
8. Steve Quailer
9. Morgan Ellis
10. Mark MacMillan
11. Magnus Nygren
12. Aaron Palushaj
13. Alexander Avtsin
14. Darren Dietz
15. Greg Pateryn
16. Daniel Pribly
17. Josiah Didier
18. Dustin Walsh
19. Gabriel Dumont
20. Andreas Engqvist
21. Brendon Nash
22. Olivier Archambault
23. Andrew Conboy
24. Colin Sullivan
25. Dany Massť
26. Peter Delmas
27. Joonas Nšttinen
28. Maxim Trunev
29. Mark Mitera
30. Olivier Fortier
31. Ian Schultz
32. Joe Stejskal
33. Scott Kishel
34. Philippe Lefebvre
35. John Westin
36. Hunter Bishop
37. Alain Berger
38. Mike Cichy
39. Robert Mayer
Solid Solid ranking..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:16 PM
  #5
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Curious to know why Archie is ranked so low? He really impressed me during the preseason.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
  #6
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Curious to know why Archie is ranked so low? He really impressed me during the preseason.
He really impressed me as well, once he rounds out the rest of his game I'll move him higher. Seems to have good offensive skills but has a lot of work to do with the rest of his game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
  #7
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So I am really, really bored at work, put together a ranking of all the Habs prospects for my site with a couple words for each. (not counting guys on AHL contracts or Emelin since he has graduated or older guys like St-Denis who turns 26 next month and Blunden who turns 25 today) I ranked them on upside but mixed in how they are playing so far this season. I have seen every prospect play either a full game or clips (have only seen clips of Westin, Nygren, Dietz and Pribyl, not full game action)

Here's the ranking, the comments can be found at my site if you want to read them (nothing in depth since it takes a while to rank 39 prospects)

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Brendan Gallagher
4. Danny Kristo
5. Jarred Tinordi
6. MichaŽl Bournival
7. Mac Bennett
8. Steve Quailer
9. Morgan Ellis
10. Mark MacMillan
11. Magnus Nygren
12. Aaron Palushaj
13. Alexander Avtsin
14. Darren Dietz
15. Greg Pateryn
16. Daniel Pribly
17. Josiah Didier
18. Dustin Walsh
19. Gabriel Dumont
20. Andreas Engqvist
21. Brendon Nash
22. Olivier Archambault
23. Andrew Conboy
24. Colin Sullivan
25. Dany Massť
26. Peter Delmas
27. Joonas Nšttinen
28. Maxim Trunev
29. Mark Mitera
30. Olivier Fortier
31. Ian Schultz
32. Joe Stejskal
33. Scott Kishel
34. Philippe Lefebvre
35. John Westin
36. Hunter Bishop
37. Alain Berger
38. Mike Cichy
39. Robert Mayer
That's a sick list dude. From word of mouth and what I've also seen it seems pretty accurate. Nathan Beaulieu is going to be a 'monster' as McGuire says. In 1-2 years I think he'll be up, 3 at most. That means the potential of...

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Emelin
Beaulieu-Kaberle


I just have such a good feeling about that guy. Haven't been this excited about a prospect since PK Subban. You just knew if PK ever put his two-way game together he'd be a star. What a steal. Now Beaulieu drops to us. Come on dude this is any teams dream. I don't want to get too excited but it's hard not to. I see the kid a sure thing.

Louis Leblanc is already an NHL caliber player he just needs development time, he's on the cusp. He's already better than Palushaj lol.

Brendan Gallagher is just a beast. Kid seems to have a lot of drive. Looked good at the NHL level (seemed even further along than Beaulieu but understandable)

Kristo I was always high on.

18gp 9g 11a 20p 10pim

Those are his stats this year. Best season of his career thus far. He's already out scored last year. The kid is back on track and I'm loving it. Hamilton next year for sure now. Can he be called up to Hamilton if there's an injury?

Tinordi I think will be a project but has big potential. I liked the pick.

Bournival imo was a steal but we'll see.

I think 5/6 of those players will probably be NHLers maybe even all of them. I trust Trevor Timmins and I'm loving the upside these guys have. When was the last time 4/6 top prospects of ours played in the WJC? Thing are looking good for us. Underrated prospects imo.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
  #8
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Gallagher ahead of Kristo? A WJC euphoria colouring your thinking a little bit?

For me Leblanc is number one, really like his game at the NHL level, so smart and shifty. Also like Kristo's skillset.

But after watching the WJC will likely get a different appreciation for Beaulieau and Bournival.

Would like to see Palushaj and Avtsin in the Top 10 though.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
  #9
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I just have such a good feeling about that guy. Haven't been this excited about a prospect since PK Subban. You just knew if PK ever put his two-way game together he'd be a star. What a steal. Now Beaulieu drops to us. Come on dude this is any teams dream. I don't want to get too excited but it's hard not to. I see the kid a sure thing.

Louis Leblanc is already an NHL caliber player he just needs development time, he's on the cusp. He's already better than Palushaj lol.

Brendan Gallagher is just a beast. Kid seems to have a lot of drive. Looked good at the NHL level (seemed even further along than Beaulieu but understandable)

Kristo I was always high on.

18gp 9g 11a 20p 10pim

Those are his stats this year. Best season of his career thus far. He's already out scored last year. The kid is back on track and I'm loving it. Hamilton next year for sure now. Can he be called up to Hamilton if there's an injury?

Tinordi I think will be a project but has big potential. I liked the pick.

Bournival imo was a steal but we'll see.

I think 5/6 of those players will probably be NHLers maybe even all of them. I trust Trevor Timmins and I'm loving the upside these guys have. When was the last time 4/6 top prospects of ours played in the WJC? Thing are looking good for us. Underrated prospects imo.
Thanks. Beaulieu is worth getting excited about, having him and PK in the future is going to be nice to see. It's funny cause I saw him early in his draft year and wasn't too impressed but thought he was very good this preseason for it being his first ever NHL camp. I think his upside is very high and with his physical abilities he has a good shot of reaching it.

Leblanc has impressed me in Hamilton as he jumped right in to be the best forward on the team, very smart player with a high compete level, will be interesting to see where his game is at in a couple years.

Gallagher is a beast, we'll have to see how it goes for him once he turns pro but I like his compete level as well and while he's undersized he doesn't play like is and goes to the dirty areas to score.

Kristo is the one I've seen the most outside of the AHL. I get to see him a ton and I have high hopes for him as his speed and offensive game are fun to watch. He does take off a shift or two but when his feet are moving he's going to make things happen as he wants the puck and is willing to go to the dirty areas as well at high speed. If ND doesn't go far in the playoffs the Habs could sign him in March and he could join the Dogs then, if it's an NHL contract he can be called up. I assume he'll be in Hamilton next year, unless he really wants to graduate from college.

Tinordi I haven't seen as much but I like the pick as well, hope he can be a solid shutdown type for us that is a pain to play against and clears the crease well.

Bournival has really grown on me, was very impressed with what I saw from him this year in the Q but looking forward to see how his offensive game translates at the next level.

I would also add Mac Bennett to this list, imo he's easily one of our top prospects, he's very good at rushing the puck up ice, is solid enough in his own end although he needs to fill out more and get stronger. With him being a LD and Beaulieu/Tinordi looking to be in Hamilton next year as LD's, the Habs can take it slower with him if they wish. I've seen him a couple times already this year and he's shown good improvement while getting lots of quality ice time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:28 PM
  #10
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,309
vCash: 500
Nygren should be a lot lower.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
  #11
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Great great list. I'm pretty much in agreement with most of it.

I'd just move Palushaj higher personally into the top 10. He definitely should be ahead of Nygren and MacMillan; more debateable with Ellis, Qualier and Bennett. I'd personally slot him at 7.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
  #12
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Gallagher ahead of Kristo? A WJC euphoria colouring your thinking a little bit?

For me Leblanc is number one, really like his game at the NHL level, so smart and shifty. Also like Kristo's skillset.

But after watching the WJC will likely get a different appreciation for Beaulieau and Bournival.

Would like to see Palushaj and Avtsin in the Top 10 though.
Gallagher could easily be our 2nd best prospect, he's killing it in junior, but i'm willing to wait and see how he does at the pro level. I have seen a lot more of Kristo then Gallagher but I'd have them very close as Kristo has the blazing speed that Gallagher lacks but Kristo has had some struggles with consistency and there are times you get the feeling he's not the brightest blub out there.

Palushaj I've seen in the USHL, the NCAA, the AHL and the NHL. I really don't know what to make of him to be honest. In all the other leagues he's always been able to put up points and was easily one of Hamilton's top players last year, but in the NHL I haven't been impressed one bit and his lack of strength might be a problem for him although I still think he can be a full time NHLer in the future just not sold on his upside.

Avtsin has been a huge disappointment for me, I've seen a ton of him and he rarely does anything on the ice. He's very raw and while he's shown some improvement over last year, imo he's got a long ways to go. Granted in time hopefully he starts to put it all together, but if you ask people that watch him play every night, I bet most won't have too many good things to say about him so far.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
  #13
BigHab*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
I think I would have Darren Dietz ranked a bit higher. Hab fans are going to be excited about this guy in a couple of years. Mark my word!


Last edited by BigHab*: 12-15-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Capital D
BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:37 PM
  #14
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Nygren should be a lot lower.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Great great list. I'm pretty much in agreement with most of it.

I'd just move Palushaj higher personally into the top 10. He definitely should be ahead of Nygren and MacMillan; more debateable with Ellis, Qualier and Bennett. I'd personally slot him at 7.
Thanks. I moved Palushaj down as he was very disappointing in the NHL, not sure what his future is with us. MacMillan on the other hand has been a big surprise for me, i've seen him a lot and if he can fill out and get stronger, he could end up being a very good prospect. Impressive play making skills. Nygren came out of nowhere and has down nothing but up points since moving up to the SEL in the 2nd half, he's getting a lot of praise for his offensive game and shot.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:37 PM
  #15
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,254
vCash: 500
I'm glad to see Leblanc in the upper portion of that list. I like what I've seen and would rate him ahead of Palushaj. The dark horse remains Avtsin.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
  #16
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
I think I would have Darren Dietz ranked a bit higher. Hab fans are going to be excited about this guy in a couple of years. Mark my word!
I got to admit I have not seen enough of him, but I hope to see more and the little i've seen i've liked. Plus I've heard good things about his play this year so I fully expect him to be higher in time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
  #17
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
How has MacMillan played at North Dakota this year?

Ooops, haha didn't see your last post.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
  #18
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm glad to see Leblanc in the upper portion of that list. I like what I've seen and would rate him ahead of Palushaj. The dark horse remains Avtsin.
I've been pimping Leblanc around here for some time, I actually had a hard time trying to figure out why so many don't seem to like him. Granted he's not the flashy type, but he's very smart, hard working and skilled which makes for a very interesting combo. Palushaj I know he's going to put up points in Hamilton but can he translate it to the NHL? I have my doubts. Avtsin is a total mystery to me, he's got the size, skating, speed and hands you want to see, but the rest of his game makes me want to pull my hair out. Very frustrating player to watch, most of the time I don't even notice him out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
How has MacMillan played at North Dakota this year?

Ooops, haha didn't see your last post.
The only bigger suprise to me this year has been Quailer. I admit I didn't know too much about MacMillan when we drafted him and when I saw how skinny he was I thought he's going to get crushed in the NCAA but it didn't take long for me to see just how skilled MacMillan is. Very shifty player, can really setup plays and with his speed he can rush the puck up ice into the offensive zone. The fact that he is getting PP and PK time while also getting some time on the top line shows how good he's been this year. As I said if he can fill out and get stronger over the next few years, then the Habs should have a good one on their hands.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
  #19
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why?



Thanks. I moved Palushaj down as he was very disappointing in the NHL, not sure what his future is with us. MacMillan on the other hand has been a big surprise for me, i've seen him a lot and if he can fill out and get stronger, he could end up being a very good prospect. Impressive play making skills. Nygren came out of nowhere and has down nothing but up points since moving up to the SEL in the 2nd half, he's getting a lot of praise for his offensive game and shot.
He's looked good at times and not so good other times. He's a guy that needs another year AHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  #20
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Nice List Montreal!

I've always been high on Qualier and thought he could turn out to be something special for the Habs. After his injury I wasn't sure how he'd come back. I see you got him quite high on your list. What can you make of him so far this year?

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:23 PM
  #21
EXPOS123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
I don't see all the fuss about Palushaj. I hope i'm wrong, but i just don't see him in Montreal's future plans. To me he's another Ben Maxwell in terms of just not being able to translate it to the NHL level. Let's face it, the Blues wouldn't simply trade him away for Matt D'agostini from all people if he was such a great talent.

EXPOS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
  #22
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,469
vCash: 500
Tinordi +18 in 20 games...damn impressive for a stay at home guy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
  #23
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
Great list as usual Dan.

To me , Bournival is Leblanc V.2.

I'm really high on both Morgan Ellis and Mac Bennett.

But the one that I think has the higher ceiling is Kristo. Such a great combination of speed, skills, scoring abilities and two-way awareness.
He has great hands in-tight too. Even better than Gallagher's.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
  #24
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
A little surprised to see MacMillan so high. Pre-season he wasn't even most people's top thirty.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:30 AM
  #25
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
I don't see all the fuss about Palushaj. I hope i'm wrong, but i just don't see him in Montreal's future plans. To me he's another Ben Maxwell in terms of just not being able to translate it to the NHL level. Let's face it, the Blues wouldn't simply trade him away for Matt D'agostini from all people if he was such a great talent.
I know he hasn't done much in the NHL, but he also spent most of his minutes with Engqvist and Darche, or Nokalenien and Darche. Not exactly offensive dynamos to play with.

I don't think he's really fully ready either. He needs a little more upper body strength.

However i see the kid at the AHL level and he dominates, I think once he gains that strength and the confidence, he'll be a good NHLer. A 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.