HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier battling Canucks for $ UPD: Awarded $6m by Arbitrator

Old
12-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I don't care what he's legally entitled to. He should be ashamed to ask for it. I hate hate hate hate that mother.
And what does that have to do with a contractual obligation?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:16 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
**** off Messier

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Apparently, the value of thecteam increased while Messier was a Canuck, and he believes a clause in his contract compensates him for this.
Yeah, it was all you, Pete Best. **** me.
It does not matter if it was or was not attributable to Messier. The clause was tied to increased franchise value simpliciter according to the report.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:19 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It does not matter if it was or was not attributable to Messier. The clause was tied to increased franchise value simpliciter according to the report.
Why should he get anything when he did absolutely nothing but destroy the franchise?

Old
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Why should he get anything when he did absolutely nothing but destroy the franchise?
Obviously he did not "destroy the franchise" and the value went up... hence he is owed money.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
And what does that have to do with a contractual obligation?
I get that, but how does he look himself in the mirror and think he actually earned it. That the franchise value increased is attributable to patient and forgiving fans, not anything Messier contributed. He should be absolutely embarrassed to ask for the $.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:33 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
I get that, but how does he look himself in the mirror and think he actually earned it. That the franchise value increased is attributable to patient and forgiving fans, not anything Messier contributed. He should be absolutely embarrassed to ask for the $.
This. He doesn't deserve **** from the Canucks.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Raistlin1022

wasn't he just voted worst Canuck ever? thats quite a title considering how awful this franchise has been over the years. now multi-millionaire wants More money from this franchise that he helped drive to the ground in the late 90s? The gall!

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
yeah thats not how things work

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

I hate Messier as much as anyone here, but if he's legally entitled to a payout, it's pretty laughable to think he shouldn't collect due to his performance/attitude while wearing a Vancouver sweater.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
I hate Messier as much as anyone here, but if he's legally entitled to a payout, it's pretty laughable to think he shouldn't collect due to his performance/attitude while wearing a Vancouver sweater.
Yeah I agree. Not a fan of his but if he's owed money he's owed money.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
He does not have to earn anything. His contract had a clause where he shares in any increased value in the franchise.

If the Canucks did not want to pay out then do not include the clause.

This is not the first time the Canucks have tried to renege on contractual obligations.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
wasn't he just voted worst Canuck ever? thats quite a title considering how awful this franchise has been over the years. now multi-millionaire wants More money from this franchise that he helped drive to the ground in the late 90s? The gall!
A multi-millionaire owed money by another multi-millionaire with the clause agreed to by a billionaire. So what?

Old
12-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
He does not have to earn anything. His contract had a clause where he shares in any increased value in the franchise.

This is not the first time the Canucks have tried to renege on contractual obligations.
Does anyone know if these kinds of clauses are allowed under the new CBA? I'm guessing not.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Damn the logic in this thread!! Embrace the Messier hate! I admit my disgustvfor that assclown clouds my ability to be objective.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:

I disagree. The team did not increase in value because of him. Messier had nothing to do with the Canucks increased value, which I am sure he is claiming and thus why he's owed money.

I hope the Canucks fight this one with every fibre in their entity. Messier owes the Canucks for his bs performance as a Canuck.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashy McSlewfoot View Post
Does anyone know if these kinds of clauses are allowed under the new CBA? I'm guessing not.
No, they are not.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I disagree. The team did not increase in value because of him. Messier had nothing to do with the Canucks increased value, which I am sure he is claiming and thus why he's owed money.

I hope the Canucks fight this one with every fibre in their entity. Messier owes the Canucks for his bs performance as a Canuck.
According to reports the clause simply refers to an increase in franchise value during a specific period of time - it mattered not whether it was attributable to Messier or not.

If so nothing to fight. The Canucks were taught that lesson before with the Krutov and Larionov transfer fee disputes and the Bure lockout guaranteed contract.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
No, they are not.
Thanks.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:00 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
I don't care what he's legally entitled to. He should be ashamed to ask for it. I hate hate hate hate that mother.
You'd do the same so get off your high horse. He doesn't owe this organization anything. If anything, he probably hates our organization.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Damn the logic in this thread!! Embrace the Messier hate! I admit my disgustvfor that assclown clouds my ability to be objective.
i am 100% behind this. i hope his family gets murdered so he knows how we felt about trevor.

(completely joking/CP reference about the murdered family thing, not joking about the hating on messier thing.)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Deleted

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Catamarca Livin

If Wetcoaster says the Canucks owe Messier money they probably owe Messier money.
On a totally different subject Messier was terrible here. Not only as a player but as a leader. A coach killer who played zero defense. Maybe he did have something to do with Nasland and Bertuzzi developing. To imagine Messier was paid the same as the Sedins 10 years before the Sedins. Those were 3 dark years inbetween many good years. Actually other than those three years being a Canuck fan has been ok for the last 20 years.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Awesomesauce

I pretty much agree with everyone else, Messier is a complete ass and doesn't deserve a penny. But a contract is a contract. I do find it curious though who did the valuation that had the team increasing in value during the Messier years since those were horrible years.

I wonder if the debate is over domestic versus US value - what was the dollar doing at the time.

Either way if they have to give him the money I hope every bill spends a game in a Canuck jock strap before it gets handed over.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Canucker

How does a clause like that work? How do they estimate the value he brought to the franchise? Obviously the franchise gained in value but does he just get a percentage of the increase in the value of the whole franchise or just gate? If the Canucks signed him to it, and they owe him money I don't blame him for going after it.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote