HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The announcers

Old
12-12-2011, 08:17 AM
JagerPuck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Coatsey has nose goatsey.

That is all.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:02 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Jackson is pretty funny though... I remember a couple weeks ago, jones made a comment on a holding penalty that was called, they analyzed the replay and jones said something like "I guess the ref thought that ____ gave him a bit of a reach around there, but from the replay you can see that he didn't" and Jackson's response was "well I would hope not.."

Brilliant.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
The more I listen to other broadcasters the more it dawns on me how much of a homer JJ is. To his credit he's fairly knowledgeable of other teams and is usually good with names, but he's a blatant homer.
Kind of agree with the concept that every announcer is a homer. You can usually tell by how excited they get on scoring chances. JJ isn't a huge homer because he still gets incredibly loud yelling "SHOT!" even for the opposing team. His knowledge of the game definitely does help.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:23 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I can not stand Cotsey.
WIP guys are really good. I love what Therian says on the radio. Sometime, it is priceless.
Put comcast on mute and put WIP on.
It's nice to hear a guy who says what he thinks on the radio. I can't think of any examples but I remember listening and thinking he was getting away with some risque stuff for radio.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Therien tells the best "When I was in the NHL..." stories between periods.

12-12-2011, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love them all but I do miss Dorny. Coatsey and Jones are the best. Clement is solid and JJ is an excellent Play by Play guy IMO, though not as effective with the goatee.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:13 PM
BernieParent

Coming from the correct side of the hockey border (), I enjoy the TSN feeds of the Flyers, as the commentators are neutral and will concentrate on the PBP. I confess to enjoying listening to Maguire, even with the creepiness quotient, as he is very, very knowledgeable about the game. I'm spoiled because I grew up listening to PBP by Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin. The local French announcers are also quite good, and aren't as Canadiens-biased as one might think.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Clyde Donovan

There is a difference between being in favor of a team(JJ) and being such a homer that you straight up lie to the audience to paint your team in a fair light(Edwards, Pens crew).

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
lancer247

I really like entire telecast. Coatsey is a big minus but how much can they afford to spend on the third wheel? This is a local telecast, they can't go bonkers with the production costs.

I can't imagine too many other teams having 2 national quality guys like Jones and Clement. Jackson is also very good and doesn't oversell things you can see.

Even having Tocchett and Lappy for in between periods on some nights is good.

I wish there was a young up and coming guy they could put in the box to replace Coatsey. Maybe a more recent former player that isn't going to cost too much money for such a small role. Maybe some former AHLers that weren't kaing that much coin in their careers?

Is there a former player still in the area? If someone like Fedoruk was able to express his thoughts in complete sentences that would be a plus.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I remember Gene Hart and Bobby Taylor. Hart was amazing, though towards the end he wasn't the best at keeping the names straight.

Then I remember the dream team of Emrick & Clement in their broadcasting prime. They were excellent.

I was never a Dorny fan and while I loved Brian Propp the player, I couldn't stand Brian Propp the color guy. I like JJ, I don't even think he's that much of a homer. He's got a great voice and that goes a long way with me. I just can't get into Saunders' voice, it literally sounds like he is being castrated when the Flyers score. I think Jones is solid and I wish Therien was as good a defenseman as he is a color guy. He should have national aspirations in my opinion.

And now we get to Coates, who I rather enjoy, not because he provides much in the way of insight, as he basically only contributes the same 5 or 6 cliches every game (as immortalized in the earlier thread honoring him.) Still, he's out there having a good time and there's something about this that I can get behind.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:05 PM
drownedsailors

Compared to the clowns most teams have *ahem* Pittsburgh; I'd say we're pretty good.

Oh and MSE, I agree about John Shorthouse (although I don't really like his voice) he really does stick to the game.

Edit: I also rarely ever get the Flyer feed, so when I do I'm so excited that I don't even care if they sound like homers.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 12-13-2011 at 01:05 AM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
For those unfamilar with Gene Hart's 'Voice of the Flyers' days, I suggest if you can catch the Soviet Army vs the '76 Flyers Game being aired periodically on CSN... or get a hold of the en Greatest Flyers Game DVD and listen to Geno call games.

Gene originally called the TV and Radio in simulcast... so the TV got to hear what the radio people hear... and TV viewers heard what is going on, rather than banter while the play is going on. Hart couldn't dare take too much time off the PBP calling, lest the Radio listeners lose what is going on on the ice... The banter and education was between action filler or crammed into the game call.

In his heyday Gene was able to do the PBP as well as educate and amuse without missing a beat... And he had a ton of knowledge to give... and being a teacher originally by trade he loved to educate. Also for quite a while he had almost a clean slate for an audience when it came to hockey knowledge.

I miss that pure simulcast announcing... and most of all I miss Gene Hart. I believe all this post Hart announcing stems from the PBP man no having to stick to the action and their wanting to entertain rather than educate.

I also miss Dorney's "Stop it there" telestrations... but I'm not going to be to hard on JJ, Jones/Bill and Coatesy; we can do a hell of a lot worse.
I agree with this ! I liked the old tandem of Don Earl and Gene Hart back in the day of Bullies hockey.....They were damn good ! as was the team !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

He hit the ****ing post!

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betts11 View Post
I don't mind it to be honest. Coatesey can get annoying, but thats nothing new. And Saunders can give me a headache..sounds like he has something stuffed up his nose when the Flyers score.
same here, I enjoy saunders untill we score, and I just wanna mute it or change the channel. Jackson and company are alot better then what the rest of league has to offer with announcers.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
MsWoof

There are very few good announcers/colour guys around. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks JJ has really turned into a homer the past couple of years, I can barely listen to him anymore because every time a Flyer takes a SHOT he makes it seem like it's a scoring opportunity. If I'm in another room and hear it I always think I missed something but I've started to tune him out. Coatsey has always just been a drunk who adds little to the game.

It sucks that Clement is in semi-retirement mode because he's so much better than the others. I like Jones as well but JJ and Coatsey dumb him down.

I really miss the days when announcers would just call games and not worry about how the team reacts to them if they're being honest. These guys aren't on the same level of putridity as the Boston and Pittsburgh guys, but they're not very good either.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:16 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050

Not sure how accurate this is today but it seems pretty recent.

My personal preference is Jim Hughson he's the last one on the video used to do the old NHL games, and does games on TSN and CBC now I believe

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Suspended4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
"They say it's onsides..."
Emphasis on "say." Haha, I'd love to know how many times JJ says that per game. Actually last night there were at least two times I can think of that he was warranted in that comment though.

Coatsy - "He who goes first, loses" and "butterfly" are def his catch phrases. Dude hates Avery though and isn't afraid to say it on national TV so he gets props there. I used to love Coatsy's Corner though, my roommates and I in college had some kind of drinking game that centered around Coatsy but I forget now what the rules were.

Anyway, I don't mind the announcers. I think JJ is a pretty great announcer actually, doesn't bug me at all. If I had my pick though, Clement would be in the mix more often. The guy is just a boss too in the postgame. Sometimes I feel like he's John Boruk's dad calmly explaining the game to him but there's just a small hint of disdain that he was ever born. It's heart-warming actually.

I can tell you though that there are a lot worse crews out there though, we're kind of lucky in that regard.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:31 AM
kimmofan44

i guess im in the minority bc i love jj and jonesy, i know jj is a homer but i like it when the first thing that crosses my mind as a fan is the first thing out of jj mouth too. does anyone realize that when jj goes on wmmr's preston and steve as a guest they give him phrases to work into the following game? words like jabroni, jumpin jiminy, cheeseballs, the old funky chicken to name a few. the fact that he does it makes me like him even more.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspended4Life View Post
Coatsy - I used to love Coatsy's Corner though, my roommates and I in college had some kind of drinking game that centered around Coatsy but I forget now what the rules were.
If it had to do with (1) something totally irrelevant or (2) one of his most used phrases I'm surprised you're still alive.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post

My personal preference is Jim Hughson he's the last one on the video used to do the old NHL games, and does games on TSN and CBC now I believe

Yep, love Hughson.. Him, JJ, and the carolina guy are my favorites

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Phunhog

What if they split up the game between the crews. Give Tim and Bundy the 2nd stanza. Hated Bundy the player, but love Bundy the color Guy.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post

The best part of that Canucks video is I think you can faintly hear that the arena was playing that STUPID song the Hawks use after a goal clearly mocking them ... that song still haunts me after our Cup Final run ... screw the Hawks!

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
slebbeog

When ever possible I'll just take the other teams feed. the announcers really are that bad.

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote