HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 29 @ St. Louis Blues

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 1 1.92%
Ryan Callahan 2 3.85%
Michael Del Zotto 45 86.54%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 3.85%
Steve Eminger 0 0%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 1.92%
Marian Gaborik 4 7.69%
Dan Girardi 1 1.92%
Carl Hagelin 34 65.38%
Henrik Lundqvist 7 13.46%
Ryan McDonagh 4 7.69%
Brad Richards 0 0%
Derek Stepan 0 0%
Anton Stralman 15 28.85%
Other 1 1.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Nyrvana

vCash: 500
Looked like they were back in Europe again, really tired, slow motion, no offense.

They'll get over it. Stop jumping off the bridge everyone. Blues are a good team and Stars have been playing solidly.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
jskramer83

Good: Some of the youth on the team improving every game, Hagelin and MDZ

Bad: Shooting

not the amount of shots we take or that hit the net, but the quickness at which this team takes their shots.

If either from the point or or passes between forwards, when we are not going well we wait for the puck to come to us, then stop it rather then taking a one timer or releasing it quick.

This late decision making is why so many shots are blocked, we give there D and Goalie time to get into position. More One Timers, and quicker on the shots we take are needed.

Redden: Puck Control/Break Out Pass

Some of the break out passes from our Defenseman are God Awful, and this leads to a ton of Turnovers in the Neutral Zone

And then when they do make a solid pass to either Dubinsky or Boyle, the puck will bounce right off their stick. If they do manage to actually gain control of the puck, it has taken them such long time to gain full control, that an opposing player is right on top of them ready to take the puck away!

as always on a sports message board, these are the issues I see, and if I had any solution to these problems, you all would be complaining about how ****** of an NHL Coach I am

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
as always on a sports message board, these are the issues I see, and if I had any solution to these problems, you all would be complaining about how ****** of an NHL Coach I am
A relatively new poster who is right on the money!

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

This would ****ing happen. Gad ****ing damn it, get it together Rangers. 0 intensity last 120 min.

12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:

not the amount of shots we take or that hit the net, but the quickness at which this team takeso their shots.

If either from the point or or passes between forwards, when we are not going well we wait for the puck to come to us, then stop it rather then taking a one timer or releasing it quick.

This late decision making is why so many shots are blocked, we give there D and Goalie time to get into position. More One Timers, and quicker on the shots we take are needed.

Some of the break out passes from our Defenseman are God Awful, and this leads to a ton of Turnovers in the Neutral Zone

And then when they do make a solid pass to either Dubinsky or Boyle, the puck will bounce right off their stick. If they do manage to actually gain control of the puck, it has taken them such long time to gain full control, that an opposing player is right on top of them ready to take the puck away!

Boom! Hell of a post my friend

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

While there is always the tendency to downplay your opponent that you aren't familiar with, the Blues have been dominating most good teams this year in the same way they dominated the Rangers tonight.

9-2-1 against the others in the top ten percentage wise (Philly, Minnesota, Chicago, NYR, STL, Detroit, Boston, Florida, Vancouver and Pittsburgh). That's the hardest schedule among those teams by the way, as well as easily the best winning percentage. Won in Philly, in Pittsburgh w/Crosby, Detroit both times, Florida, Vancouver both times, split with Chicago. They also beat Washington in DC and have won both games against the Sharks.

And pretty much all those fans say the same things some (but not all) of you guys are saying, the Blues are merely decent or good but not great. All kinds of damning with faint praise. But the Blues are playing with tempo, forechecking hard, backchecking hard, interrupting passes, getting stellar goaltending (after some early bed-s***ing by Halak) and playing with the kind of aggressive, physical presence you saw tonight. Especially since Hitchcock took over. They're 12-2-3 since that happened and they're doing it w/the crappiest PP known to man, so that should tell you how impressive their 5-on-5 play has been. After the sluggish start, they now have the 3d best percentage in the West (tied with Detroit but beat 'em twice). To us, they've been anything but boring. When your team dominates other good teams night after night it's exciting. And the Rangers are clearly a very good team who I've enjoyed watching win, even if they couldn't get anything going tonight.

Good luck to you guys and congrats on the HBO stuff. Awesome episode last night.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
MSG the place to be*

The solar system is so humongous big right but if you see that like our solar system and our galaxy and on like the side it was so small you cannot even see it our galaxy is like so huge but if you see the big picture our galaxy is small tiny like dot in the universe like and you think like we have some problems here on the earth we worry about compared to like nothing just be happy don't worry be happy right now

Having said that, time to trade Gabby. Maybe he can find an oil can in his new city.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:22 PM
park rangers
Optimist

I'm not saying that Avery is the answer, but Erik Christensen has no business being in the NHL.

And numbers don't lie people.

our record with Avery is much better with him than without, call it what you want but it is what it is. Get Avery back in there Torts.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
The solar system is so humongous big right but if you see that like our solar system and our galaxy and on like the side it was so small you cannot even see it our galaxy is like so huge but if you see the big picture our galaxy is small tiny like dot in the universe like and you think like we have some problems here on the earth we worry about compared to like nothing just be happy don't worry be happy right now

Having said that, time to trade Gabby. Maybe he can find an oil can in his new city.
Despite his flaws, he is still a better goal scorer than essentially every player on this team. He's on pace for 40+ goals, and while his goals may not be "impressive", he still is 3 ahead of the #2 goal scorer on this team.

There is no chance, no chance Sather trades him. Regardless of your opinion; while, to be quite honest, you make some good points, you go WAYYY too far. Gaborik is what he is; a great, but flawed, goal scoring winger.

12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:

wow..

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:59 PM
MaximusT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Those stats mean something but what it tells me MORE is we play worse WITH EC more than we play better with Avery lol. Maybe EC walks around naked in the locker room for no reason and people get all up tight. I dont know...
lmao just cracked up in the middle of a crowded library full of kids studying for finals, but hey maybe there's some truth to this. Im on neither side of this EC/Avery debate, but I think Avery's presence in the locker room definitely plays a part in the team chemistry. He's the guy whose always making jokes, seems friendly with most of the team, riles guys up in between periods, etc. Meanwhile EC, (at least in my mind) seems like that dude who chills in the corner, only answers when called up...with one word responses haha.

just my speculation of course

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Despite his flaws, he is still a better goal scorer than essentially every player on this team. He's on pace for 40+ goals, and while his goals may not be "impressive", he still is 3 ahead of the #2 goal scorer on this team.

There is no chance, no chance Sather trades him. Regardless of your opinion; while, to be quite honest, you make some good points, you go WAYYY too far. Gaborik is what he is; a great, but flawed, goal scoring winger.
As much as I hate to say this, and I'm completely the opposite of the fans who EVER wanted to tank or trade assets for prospects and picks, it would potentially be a blessing in disguise if somehow we missed the playoffs this year, but Gaborik scored 40+. His value would be very high and we could move him for young highly skilled players and prospects or the first overall +.

Then next year we'd have a healthy Staal all year hopefully, Kreider, plus whatever players we got in return for Gaborik, and maybe we sign Parise or Suter or BOTH with the capspace we saved from unloading Gaborik, Wolski, Avery, and Dru's hit dropping.

However, this is moot because we're not missing the playoffs and Sather wouldn't trade him now.

I do fear that he'll be a soft, tentative player in the playoffs again, regardless of his point totals during the regular season.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

not the amount of shots we take or that hit the net, but the quickness at which this team takes their shots.

Spot on, coach.

Hesitation has worked its evil way back into our players heads. It really ruins our entire game. Both with shooting and with passing, and it's the fault of both the passer and the player receiving the puck, not doing enough to get open or keep the feet moving.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:30 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Disclaimer: I didn't actually watch the game. Nominations may or may not be (hint: were) copy and pasted from last game.
Well you got Hagelin and DZ on there which is all you needed so you made a good list.

Pretty lifeless effort tonight and it wasn't an exciting game either. As I said last game, I hate games against the Western Conference since they always seem to be boring affairs. It's gonna suck next year when we have even more games against teams like the Jets, Coyotes, Stars, etc.

12-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

I've already had this debate with him and he's admitted he is a jerk/too harsh on Gaborik.

I've just come to accept it, we all have our favorite and least favorite players.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:19 AM
LBC Vapo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Well you got Hagelin and DZ on there which is all you needed so you made a good list.

Pretty lifeless effort tonight and it wasn't an exciting game either. As I said last game, I hate games against the Western Conference since they always seem to be boring affairs. It's gonna suck next year when we have even more games against teams like the Jets, Coyotes, Stars, etc.
The majority of all three periods were spent watching the Rangers unable to leave their own zone. They managed 26 shots on goal, and one goal total. In the 2nd and 3rd periods they went somewhere around eight full minutes before registering their first shot on goal.

The Blues dominated the game physically, won essentially all of the battles, spent the majority of the game in the offensive zone. They scored 4 goals and ended the night with 36 shots on goal.

Please tell me how this game being boring for you was the Western Conference's fault? I'm GENUINELY curious. Thanks.

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Time to trade Gabby?

No, you're dumb. I'm sorry, but you are.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Time to trade Gabby?

No, you're dumb. I'm sorry, but you are.
Yeah it was time to trade him last year! This year our "what have you done for me lately" attitude tells us it's time to trade dubi! Once a player struggles a bit he's done forever! That is of course until he recovers, then you all pretend you never wanted him gone and were always a believer.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:42 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Yeah it was time to trade him last year! This year our "what have you done for me lately" attitude tells us it's time to trade dubi! Once a player struggles a bit he's done forever! That is of course until he recovers, then you all pretend you never wanted him gone and were always a believer.
Uhhh but it's actually time to trade Dubi. He's way too inconsistent to be paid his salary, and way too streaky. I've been saying this since last year. We can do better with the 4+ mil he's being paid.

And all this crap about his PKing and such is overrated. Yea it helps, but we have more than enough PKers/2-way guys on this team. Dubi has essentially become Brian Boyle, the Boyle of new, the one who doesn't score.

It sucks, I really rooted for him over the years, but he's simply not good enough to be paid what he is currently being paid. Hopefully we can turn him into a consistent 2nd line winger.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Raymones

Sad to see Dubinsky playing without confidence. I think he stepped it up in the third though, almost as if he told himself: "**** this slump and kick some ass". He took the puck up with great speed a couple of times. If he continues with that speed, I'm sure he'll turn it around pretty soon.

I voted Del Zotto, Hagelin and Strålman. It seems many agree with this (even the coaches, judging by TOI). Not enough speed and lots of bad passing got the team in trouble early on. The MDZ/AS pairing did pretty well in both passing and skating, starting most of the transitions. Interesting to see if Torts lets them stay together.

Hagelin has great speed and works very hard. I think Gabby tried too. Richards was just floating first period and deserved the benching. Girardi/McD had a rough night statswise, but IMO they were a bit unlucky. The second goal is very hard to defend against (a guy coming in with speed redirecting the puck) and the third one is just a fluke. All the TOI seems to wear a bit on them though.

Forward have to work harder and get in front of the net. Lack of quality scoring chances is the most concerning part about this game, IMO.

Time to move on. Bad games happen. Let's win the next one.

Edit: The Blues played really well. Let's not forget that. Credits to them!

Last edited by Raymones: 12-16-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Raymones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 1000
The Blues are a strong team this year, calm down people.

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:

LOL

Dude, I swear if we win the cup this year, I'll see you post

TRADE GABORIK WHILE THE MARKET IS HIGH.

We get it. You hate Gaborik. I'm really not sure why, but I really don't think anyone agrees. Numbers aren't everything, but trading our leading scorer when he's leading the team in goals and shots is an awful, AWFUL idea. Especially on a team that is so starved for shots.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:02 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Uhhh but it's actually time to trade Dubi. He's way too inconsistent to be paid his salary, and way too streaky. I've been saying this since last year. We can do better with the 4+ mil he's being paid.

And all this crap about his PKing and such is overrated. Yea it helps, but we have more than enough PKers/2-way guys on this team. Dubi has essentially become Brian Boyle, the Boyle of new, the one who doesn't score.

It sucks, I really rooted for him over the years, but he's simply not good enough to be paid what he is currently being paid. Hopefully we can turn him into a consistent 2nd line winger.
It is the worst possible time to trade Dubi. We'd get peanuts for a potential 60 point player who's having a **** year.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:10 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

It's pretty simple. Get 2 goals on the Rangers before they get any and you win the game. That is pathetic.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:24 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

We lose two games in a row and now everyone wants to tank and trade Gabby? Seriously people?

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote