HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dec. 27 update: Schenn (concussion) practiced; expected to play tonight

Old
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
So what line is he on if he comes back?
My guess is they give Couturier another shot with Jagr and Hartnell, if it doesn't work out they'll slot Schenn there. If not I'de expect him to take Talbot's spot and Max slides down to 4C.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Broad Street Elite

With a guy coming off a concussion and a team coming off a 5-1 road win, I can't see Schenn playing more than limited minutes (maybe 10-12) with the 3rd line. I gotta figure Talbot still gets a few extra shifts depending on PK chances.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
thelos
Bunk

I'd say they would just start him on the 4th line with Rinaldo and Harry Z to ease him back into it

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Ryker

There's something ironic in trying to ease a guy coming from a concussion in on the checking line, though.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Kaktus*

Shelley is out? wtf.. why?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Schenn was practicing on the fourth line when he was in the rotation. Dirty Harry would sit, and Schenn would center the fourth line.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Schenn progressing?
The Flyers did get some good news yesterday about one of their concussed players, as Brayden Schenn returned to practice for the first time in 8 days.

Schenn took part in the Flyers' 45-minute skate at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Schenn did not wear a yellow, "non-contact" jersey but coach Peter Laviolette said there were restrictions on his activity. There was no physical contact in drills yesterday, anyway.

"Before, there was a lot of fogginess when I tried to skate," Schenn explained. "That's when I decided to take a step back and realize something is wrong. Now, I'm going to stay patient and keep a close eye on it and make sure it gets better.

"Some days are better than others. The key is to get a ton of rest. Now that I'm getting back into the swing of things, it's even more important to get rest."

The concussion is Schenn's third injury since training camp. Schenn, 20, is probably a long-shot to return to the lineup tonight against the Canadiens but he could play as soon as this weekend against Boston or Monday in Colorado. He is still looking for his first NHL goal.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1gcQyXKhW

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I know they want to get him in the lineup, but for his long-term health, I wish they'd just shut him down for another month, once he's cleared to play.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM
phillyfanatic

As much as they say "good news".....Schenns comments sound like his concussion is worse than I thought. Foggy on the ice, bad days followed by good, etc. Sounds exactly like what Crosby has been saying. Not good. He was practising without a non-contact jersey because they were doing "no-contact" drills. IMO - If the practise had contact, he would have had the no-contact jersey.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I wonder if he'll go back to the AHL for a game or two to get his legs when he is back to 100%?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

If he's foggy with good and bad days..why is there any consideration to let him play? Kind of unfathomable. Jeebus let these guys heal please....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
If he's foggy with good and bad days..why is there any consideration to let him play? Kind of unfathomable. Jeebus let these guys heal please....
I'm kinda thinking he meant this earlier when he had his concussion. I think he is improving and he is symptom free now, but earlier when he was on the ice he was feeling froggy. That's how I took those comments at least

Old
12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
When are people going to understand that players want to play.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
BringBackStevens

This one is in a way more concering than the Pronger one IMO.

If this turns into a bigger issue than we may end up with Simmonds in exchange for our franchise center. That would hurt, a lot.

Schenn is 20 and supposed to be a core piece of this team moving forward. Pronger is certainly more important now and for the next year or two, but at least he was already nearing the end of his career and we got some use out of him the past couple years

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yeah... no one was talking about whether he wanted to play. They were talking about why the organization would allow them to.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
This one is in a way more concering than the Pronger one IMO.

If this turns into a bigger issue than we may end up with Simmonds in exchange for our franchise center. That would hurt, a lot.

Schenn is 20 and supposed to be a core piece of this team moving forward. Pronger is certainly more important now and for the next year or two, but at least he was already nearing the end of his career and we got some use out of him the past couple years
1. I think its premature to get that concerned. Roo had a concussion a few years back, after all, and until recently, had no long-term effects.

2. You realize, you know, the Richards himself is out with a concussion, right? So by your logic, right now, the trade is Simmonds + 2nd for an unhealthy scratch.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
And your point?

It's understood...it doesn't change the fact that it's imprudent and management is supposed to act responsibly even if the player is not...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yeah... no one was talking about whether he wanted to play. They were talking about why the organization would allow them to.
Exactly. It's time the teams started stepping up. I argued on here many times that Lindros and then Primeau should not have been allowed to return so soon after concussions. Pronger clearly did, although he didn't have symptoms after the eye thing, only after the subsequent hits.

Crosby should never have been allowed back on the ice at the winter classic after the hit, never mind allowed to dress the next night.

With Giroux and Schenn, the Flyers need to be as cautious as possible. These are our all star long term Centres. If they both have to sit the rest of the season, so be it.

If Schenn or G come back too soon, and suffer another concussion in a minor collision along the boards (a la Crosby) or making a check (like Lindros did), it will be just plain stupid and a crying shame.

The players want to play, but they are the least well positioned to know when they are ready. The owners have to protect their investments' long term interests.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Prongo
Beer

Homer will be addressing the media at 1 o'clock today. I am sure he will have injury updates on all and talk about Prongo

Old
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh 82
1. I think its premature to get that concerned. Roo had a concussion a few years back, after all, and until recently, had no long-term effects.

2. You realize, you know, the Richards himself is out with a concussion, right? So by your logic, right now, the trade is Simmonds + 2nd for an unhealthy scratch.
1. Any time a concussion is involved it warrants concern, IMO

2. It wasn't a political statement about the trade. I'm simply saying that if Schenn's career is effected by this concussion then its going to be a huge blow to the future of the franchise

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
1. Any time a concussion is involved it warrants concern, IMO

2. It wasn't a political statement about the trade. I'm simply saying that if Schenn's career is effected by this concussion then its going to be a huge blow to the future of the franchise
Read more carefully. I didn't say there wasn't cause for concern. I said that it was premature to imply that Schenn's career is over because of one diagnosed concussion.

As for #2, that can be said of any asset acquired in any trade. From LA's perspective, they gave up two significant pieces and, at the moment, have nothing to show for it. That's all.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Homer will be addressing the media at 1 o'clock today. I am sure he will have injury updates on all and talk about Prongo
where is the best place to go to get these updates?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
It might be live on the website. Let me check.

edit: nope.

12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Whatever I here i'll post on here until I have to leave at 2 oclock from twitter

Ill post the Schenn stuff in here and the other info in their respective threads

Old
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://twitter.com/#!/davegisaac/sta...51414855237632

Quote:
No Schenn update. Homer said he didn't know why he didn't skate. Lavy said "I'm not at liberty to say."