HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Getting Turris would allow us to play Majo at wing.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Yeah i was coming here to post maybe Schultz + MP/Pick for Turris would be a good deal.
See how Turris works with Mojo and Semin. If not good, put him on the 4th and try and trade him later.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Getting Turris would allow us to play Majo at wing.
We need less players like Turris and more like Brouwer if we are going to play a north south, cycling trapping game.

Our 2nd line needs more sandpaper not less.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
txpd

no offense br, but could there ever be a time where an nhl team needs less sandpaper?

turris allows moving johansson to wing? why would the caps want to do that?

Old
12-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Is this seriously the same fanbase that condemns Semin and wants him shipped out as someone who can't produce to his contract and a locker room blight? How on Earth can you desire Turris? Demanded an outrageous contract and a trade, then held out as far as he possibly could to try and get them. Openly called out by his teams' management in the process. Hasn't put a single point up since coming back. This is the player you want? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
2nd pairing puck mover > 2nd line winger, IMO.

Creative puck movers that can also play defense are on of the hardest assets to find in hockey. No way I move Orlov for someone like JVR at this point, especially with Green's future up in the air. There's a decent chance Orlvo would be the team's second pairing RD next season, let alone in a couple seasons.
You're correct in that JVR likely wouldn't displace Ovie as 1LW, and thus would be a 2nd line winger on the Capitals. But JVR has first line talent written all over him. He's a 20-25G, 45-55 point winger at 22, and without a doubt has the ability to become a 30G+, 65-70 point winger in his peak years. Those don't grow on trees.

Regardless, Philadelphia fans demanded Carlson or Alzner for JVR. So it's a moot point.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Orlov is already better at most of his game than JVR is at his.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I don't see JVR as a consistent 30+, 65-70 guy, but that's just me. I think he'll settle in offensively right around where Dustin Brown is. But he's not remotely close to as physical as Brown, and it's unknown whether he has that kind of leadership. Come to think of it, Nathan Horton seems a damn good comparison for JVR.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:37 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Is this seriously the same fanbase that condemns Semin and wants him shipped out as someone who can't produce to his contract and a locker room blight? How on Earth can you desire Turris? Demanded an outrageous contract and a trade, then held out as far as he possibly could to try and get them. Openly called out by his teams' management in the process. Hasn't put a single point up since coming back. This is the player you want? Really?

You're correct in that JVR likely wouldn't displace Ovie as 1LW, and thus would be a 2nd line winger on the Capitals. But JVR has first line talent written all over him. He's a 20-25G, 45-55 point winger at 22, and without a doubt has the ability to become a 30G+, 65-70 point winger in his peak years. Those don't grow on trees.

Regardless, Philadelphia fans demanded Carlson or Alzner for JVR. So it's a moot point.
For one, Turris is younger than Semin and much cheaper. Other than that he is over rated. He's the kind of guy you pay cheap for and hope he pans out and fills a position need. BR, I agree about more sand paper type players, but we have to take what is available. Btw, I don't think Turris is the answer, but it is worth a gamble. Those guys on the trade forums severely inflate Turris's trade value. He's worth a Schultz or 3rd rounder, nothing more.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I guarantee you that you're not going to get Turris for Schultz and a 3rd rounder.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
no offense br, but could there ever be a time where an nhl team needs less sandpaper?

haha none taken. To answer your question you can never have enough sandpaper!! But especially if you are play a north south game instead of an east west game.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:49 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
For one, Turris is younger than Semin and much cheaper. Other than that he is over rated. He's the kind of guy you pay cheap for and hope he pans out and fills a position need. BR, I agree about more sand paper type players, but we have to take what is available. Btw, I don't think Turris is the answer, but it is worth a gamble. Those guys on the trade forums severely inflate Turris's trade value. He's worth a Schultz or 3rd rounder, nothing more.
I personally think that we shouldn't just make a trade to bring in the same types of players we already have and hope they perform better than the ones here.

I see Schultz having negative value. I'd be curious to see if I'm correct about that. He's not worth his contract and isn't really good at anything besides being tall and lanky.

Old
12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I guarantee you that you're not going to get Turris for Schultz and a 3rd rounder.
I didn't say he would get both, one or the other . Most likely in today's NHL he won't fetch either. Too many teams willing to trade 1st round picks and good prospects for a guy like Turris. Why? I don't know the answer. The NHL is getting silly with over payment on fringe and over rated players.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

1. With Pronger being out for season Dmen prices will go up faster
2. GMGM isn't willing to overpay often and isn't known for winning bidding wars

=> we are losing Suter/Gleason/Beauchemin sweepstakes and other dominoes

Old
12-16-2011, 02:07 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

I agree, but hoping for the best, lol.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Most likely not something the Caps will do at least not fulltime. It is more of me personally wanting to see Majo at wing for a while. Btw, I don't disagree with the other posters about Turris's attitude/contract squabble. I would only trade for him if he is available super cheap. Otherwise, I wouldn't take a gamble on him.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm in agreement that I really don't get the Turris love-fest. The team needs solid professionals that have produced and are producing, not guys with questionable character and nothing but a good 4-game series on their resume.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
txpd

want turris=desperate for movement and application of accountability(blame)

its less about getting turris as it is sending somebody out.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:54 PM
amjay13

Turris just needs to get the hell out of Phoenix. I don't think he is ever going to live up the status of a #3 overall pick but he'll likely peak at a 65-70 point guy. If the Caps could somehow land him for Schultz and Perreault , they need to get it done ASAP. I suspect it'll take more than that. I would trade Eakin straight up for Turris. Eakin is the safer bet but Turris has the potential to be a better player.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Um, a 65-70 point guy is living up to the status of a #3 overall pick. That's a top-30 point producer in the league.

Other than his draft positioning, what on Earth has Turris done to indicate he'd ever come anywhere close to that?

Old
12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The most realistic targets at this point are pending UFAs on teams already out of the playoff race, just like any other year. So basically pending UFAs on Carolina, the Islanders, Anaheim, and Columbus.

Names to consider from those teams:

Tuomu Ruutu
Bryan Allen
Tim Gleason
PA Parenteau
Frans Nielsen
Evgeni Nabokov
Teemu Selanne (though trading him seems unlikely)
Saku Koivu
Francois Beauchemin
Sami Pahlsson
Vinny Prospal
Radek Martinek

Anaheim is really the team you've got to target. Two (maybe three, if they would trade Selanne) potentially high-impact vets, and one would think they'd be interested in some guys BB is familiar with, like Schultz and MP.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Turris still has a lot of upside and in a bottom 6 role he is fine.

Doubt PHO does it, wishful thinking on my part.
I like Turris's skill. It is his heft that I'm concerned about. Physically he gets pushed around. He may not have the skeletal mass to allow for heavy musculature development. Maybe get him on the Stamkos program and that may change?

Give him a university/college/BCHL/Euro style of hockey and he'd be my pick in a flash. NHL? I'm still a wait and see.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

True, but he did surprise a lot of people by winning the Joel Ward sweepstakes. Tiger showing a hint of a new stripe, or aberration?

Old
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Re: Turris, the Caps aren't giving up what I would guess Phoenix wants for him. I don't think Perreault/Eakin + Schultz does it. Eakin + Schultz is probably getting close.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
The most realistic targets at this point are pending UFAs on teams already out of the playoff race, just like any other year. So basically pending UFAs on Carolina, the Islanders, Anaheim, and Columbus.

Names to consider from those teams:

Tuomu Ruutu
Bryan Allen
Tim Gleason
PA Parenteau
Frans Nielsen
Evgeni Nabokov
Teemu Selanne (though trading him seems unlikely)
Saku Koivu
Francois Beauchemin
Sami Pahlsson
Vinny Prospal
Radek Martinek

Anaheim is really the team you've got to target. Two (maybe three, if they would trade Selanne) potentially high-impact vets, and one would think they'd be interested in some guys BB is familiar with, like Schultz and MP.
I am a big Selanne fan, but he is most likely going to stay in Anaheim. Beauchemin and Gleason will be in bidding wars with other teams.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:20 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Um, a 65-70 point guy is living up to the status of a #3 overall pick. That's a top-30 point producer in the league.

Other than his draft positioning, what on Earth has Turris done to indicate he'd ever come anywhere close to that?
To me, that is his peak. If he has one or two years at 65 points, that is not a top 3 guy IMO.

Just going off what I've seen. I know the numbers aren't there yet but he's got the talent.

Closed Thread