HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Orr

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2005, 10:18 AM
don

vCash: 500
Colton Orr

I don't usually jump Forums but I became an Orr fan when he was with Boston. I watched the Ranger/Wild game last night and wondered why did the Rangers claim him if they aren't going to play him. I know he's been in a couple of games but I was looking forward to seeing him and Boogie on the ice together. IMO he's a better player than most give him credit for and very seldom hurts his team.

Old
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Davisian

Numbers game..

The Ranger have been winning, so there's no reason to toy with the lineup when everyone's healthy.

But they did need some toughness, hence the waiver claim.

There will be injuries, Orr will play..

Old
12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
bcrt2000

Our team is fine the way it is. Until an injury or something else, don't mess with what works.

Old
12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Plus it's not like Boston "played" him very much either

Old
12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
cringer

As entertaining as it might have been... the Rangers didn't pick him up just so he can dance with Boogaard and other heavies. They want him to fit in with the great teamwork they have been successful with, and there's not a spot for every one. But he'll probably get a chance at a regular spot at some point. Like the others said.... injuries.

Old
12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
I don't usually jump Forums but I became an Orr fan when he was with Boston. I watched the Ranger/Wild game last night and wondered why did the Rangers claim him if they aren't going to play him. I know he's been in a couple of games but I was looking forward to seeing him and Boogie on the ice together. IMO he's a better player than most give him credit for and very seldom hurts his team.
Because he's just a good enforcer and there wasnt a need for that last night

Hollweg, Prucha, etc anyone that would need to sit would be more likely to play

Old
12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Burberry Manning

Ahh, I'd love to get Colton in as many games as possible but it really is a numbers game like many posters have said. Perhaps you could sit Ville once in a while, or even Moore but I'm not sure it is worth messing with success.

Old
12-06-2005, 01:07 PM
shoothepuck

No reason to mess with the line-up until injuries, plus Orr was playing like 1-2 min. in Boston, so he wasn't used there much, and he may get more time here when needed.

Old
12-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
he's probably seen more ice time with the Rangers anyways

Old
12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
eco's bones

No way that I take Moore out of the lineup. I could see sitting Hossa right now for a couple games just to see if he'd wake up. Orr is probably not going to get in that many games. When he does play if the game against Washington was any indication and since they like to roll their lines he'll probably get more ice time than he did with the Bruins. But I see him actually being dressed against arch rivals with Godard's and Brashear's.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
No way that I take Moore out of the lineup. I could see sitting Hossa right now for a couple games just to see if he'd wake up. Orr is probably not going to get in that many games. When he does play if the game against Washington was any indication and since they like to roll their lines he'll probably get more ice time than he did with the Bruins. But I see him actually being dressed against arch rivals with Godard's and Brashear's.
He actually did pretty well for increased ice time. He absolutely leveled a few people.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
You guys say Moore has been struggling, and while the stats show basically no production, you cannot discount the work the man does on the PK.

Hossa is the only useles player on this team right now.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
You guys say Moore has been struggling, and while the stats show basically no production, you cannot discount the work the man does on the PK.

Hossa is the only useles player on this team right now.
Rozsival is giving him a run for his money in that category as of late. He goes through real great spells and then extreme, extreme horrid spells.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Rozsival is giving him a run for his money in that category as of late. He goes through real great spells and then extreme, extreme horrid spells.

You could make an argument that Rozsival has been even worse. Neither one of them is playing inspired hockey but Rozsival is taking penalties as well. 4 minors over two games. You can't have that.

If Poti comes back and moved into the lineup, a defenseman is gonna have to sit. And it shouldn't be Jason Strudwick.

12-06-2005, 03:52 PM
cringer

There will be times and places for Orr to scrap... but he will need to prove to Renney that he can skate a semi-regular shift without being a liability. If he cannot do that then he won't stick here. If he can, I could very well see him earning a regular spot.

They just need to give him a better look. They already know he can bring the rough stuff, let's face it that's why they claimed him.... but they're not going to make him an every game starter based on that alone. In years past maybe... but not this new NHL, and not with Renney and these very new-look Rangers.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Nich

moore is a great face off guy and pker...no reason to sit him at all....

hossa is first to get sat....then ville or hollweg i.m.o.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
As Jon pointed out Boston was pretty lame in getting the guy minutes, but I know a lot of Ranger fans are very anxious to see him in the lineup. I think you maybe right in thinking that he's better than people say. Right now he plays when Renney says or when circumstances demand it. He'll get his chance.

Old
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
How well people like Moore, Ortmeyer, Ward, Hollweg & Betts play is not not an indication of how many points they do or do not pile up. Moore's success is not to be judged by the scoresheet. What I will say is that Moore has looked tired over the last several games.

Old
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
How well people like Moore, Ortmeyer, Ward, Hollweg & Betts play is not not an indication of how many points they do or do not pile up. Moore's success is not to be judged by the scoresheet. What I will say is that Moore has looked tired over the last several games.
Agreed on all counts.

I'd like to see him rested a game or two. He still seems SO slight out there.

Old
12-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
moore is a great face off guy and pker...no reason to sit him at all....
While I'm not arguing for sitting Moore, to call him a "great faceoff guy" is not true. He and Nylander are sitting at about 45.5%, which is moderately bad. Rucchin is just under 50%, and Betts is one of the top 5 in the league, I believe, at about 57%.

Old
12-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
You could make an argument that Rozsival has been even worse. Neither one of them is playing inspired hockey but Rozsival is taking penalties as well. 4 minors over two games. You can't have that.

If Poti comes back and moved into the lineup, a defenseman is gonna have to sit. And it shouldn't be Jason Strudwick.
I think you'll see Strudwick slide into a forward spot once Poti comes back. Especially in the first couple of games. It gives the Rangers a little more toughness and is insurance, just in case Poti gets hurt again (or some other defenseman is hurt during the first game or two Poti is back--having Strudwick in the lineup means Poti doesn't get overworked in that situation).

Orr is just going to have to wait his turn.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
As Jon pointed out Boston was pretty lame in getting the guy minutes, but I know a lot of Ranger fans are very anxious to see him in the lineup. I think you maybe right in thinking that he's better than people say. Right now he plays when Renney says or when circumstances demand it. He'll get his chance.
Don't get me wrong, I think Boston (Sullivan) wasted him and didn't give him the ice time he deserved. Every shift he did get he played to the fullest by banging bodies without ever hurting the team. His +/- for every game he was in was always good. Not to up on the Rangers players but it seems you are all happy with your present lineup, hence my reason for asking. We sure could use him back since we have now brought up Blatney. What a waste so far.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I think you'll see Strudwick slide into a forward spot once Poti comes back.
If we assume that Hollweg will stay and Hossa be sat, then Strudwick can only take Hollweg's place. I do not see what that accomplishes.

Closed Thread