Charlie Coyle Leaves Boston University

Old
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Quote:
@ThePipelineShow The Pipeline Show
According to Coyle, his leaving BU for #QMJHL is not due to poor academics but just to focus 100% on hockey. Audio on TPS tomorrow AM
Pipeline

To me, that still sounds like academic issues...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Pipeline

To me it sounds like a combination of academic issues and not liking the small circus that whole dismissal thing is.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Pipeline

Academics related, but not issue I would say. "Academic issues" almost exclusively implies "flunked out and is academically ineligible." That tweet sounds much more like "know's he's going to play pro hockey, so doesn't want to do that pesky homework when he can be lifting or practicing."

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The thing is, if he wants to focus completely on hockey, what's the issue with Houston? Much better for his development in my opinion. A bit concerned that the Wild don't have a whole heck of a lot of influence on two of their top two prospects...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
The thing is, if he wants to focus completely on hockey, what's the issue with Houston? Much better for his development in my opinion. A bit concerned that the Wild don't have a whole heck of a lot of influence on two of their top two prospects...
Now that, I can't really say. Maybe his agent's concerned about ELCs and the new CBA?

Old
12-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Although it sounds like he's heading to Saint John, I wouldn't rule anything out until he actually does sign there. Maybe Fletch is on plane to Boston right now to have a talk with him and his agent. Team USA's camp starts tomorrow IIRC, so maybe he waits until after the WJC's to make his official signing.

I don't know, there's still a lot of different stories floating around, it'd be nice to hear something more solid.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I guess I haven't made up my mind yet. It would be nice (and definitely needed, at the moment) for him to go to Houston, become a part the organization, and would also probably fast-track him to the NHL, and be a year ahead of Phillips and Zucker. However, we do already know that he has the body and game of "cycler" or "grinder", so would it really be that bad for him to spend a 1/2 year in the Q and development confidence in his offensive game? I don't know...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Pipeline

Academic issues doesn't necessarily mean doing "poorly." Maybe his classes/homework were cutting into his practice time.

As a college student, I can relate - this semester was pretty busy. I'm not the smartest guy; I get good grades, but I also have to dedicate a lot of time to homework. I took a leave of absence from my minimum wage job (no future there), but if I was in Coyle's situation with academics cutting into my hockey time, I'd probably have choosen hockey.

After all, you can always go back to school. Playing professional hockey is time-sensitive.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
mnwildgophers

I'm so confused by this whole situation. I think he should go to the AHL, that would be learning the pro game with the grind that is the Q, but I don't think it would be bad for him to hone his offensive game in the Q and dominate with Phillips. I don't think there's much wrong with that in one regard. I guess we'll see how this whole thing plays out.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The WJC throws an interesting wrench into this as well. In fact, I wonder more and more if it's not a complete surprise to Fletcher. As I conspiracy theorized earlier, Russo's tweet sounded a lot more like "we're working on it" than "we gave him options and he chose the other one." With the WJC, he wouldn't finalize anything with Saint John until at least the first week of January. That gives the Wild 2+ weeks to have discussions with his agent and potentially get him moved to Houston.

Old
12-16-2011, 02:47 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I personally believe they'll allow him to play in Saint John because of the quality of his teammates and the experience of the coaching staff.

Gallant's played in the NHL for several years and _head_ coached a team for a few (granted it was Columbus, grain of salt taken). He's lost in the Q finals, won the Q playoffs, won the memorial cup, and clearly has a great team.

They're guaranteeing him competitive practice, 30 reg season games, 16-20 playoff games, and memorial cup games. His potential new team is almost a metaphysical lock for the memorial cup title, provided they can all stay healthy. That's GREAT experience.

He could've got some professional man's hockey under his belt which would've aided in his "mental" training, but it certainly doesn't make it a significant hinderance to his development (if one at all). Who he's playing against, well...it'll correct itself come playoff time at least when all the bottom feeder random teams are gone.

To cap it all off, Phillips is there already and you'll all have a great reason to cheer on the team!

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
How well Coyle does in the WJC may have an impact on his final decision. If he dominates, it should be clear to him that there is nothing to prove by going to the Q. If he struggles, or is only average, or merely good, then the Q will make sense.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I'd rather he play in Houston...

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

How big of a diffrence is it between the two leagues, skill-wise?
I don't really mind how he goes it, goes to Aeros or stays in Sea Dogs. Either way good move IMO

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Can he play in the Q, participate in the WJC, and then head to Houston?
Yes, he can but Saint John would have to have a short playoff run, and then he would join Houston for theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
I personally believe they'll allow him to play in Saint John because of the quality of his teammates and the experience of the coaching staff.

Gallant's played in the NHL for several years and _head_ coached a team for a few (granted it was Columbus, grain of salt taken). He's lost in the Q finals, won the Q playoffs, won the memorial cup, and clearly has a great team.

They're guaranteeing him competitive practice, 30 reg season games, 16-20 playoff games, and memorial cup games. His potential new team is almost a metaphysical lock for the memorial cup title, provided they can all stay healthy. That's GREAT experience.

He could've got some professional man's hockey under his belt which would've aided in his "mental" training, but it certainly doesn't make it a significant hinderance to his development (if one at all). Who he's playing against, well...it'll correct itself come playoff time at least when all the bottom feeder random teams are gone.

To cap it all off, Phillips is there already and you'll all have a great reason to cheer on the team!
This, Saint John have a dam good team and a dam good program, he wasn't dominiating NCAA, he's going to come here and domininate, people forget that 18,19 and 20 year olds play junior, he will likely play top line minutes which means top opposition, and Saint John were expected to repeat, now they most likely will, and they will make a move or 2 that will ensure that. He's going to get invaluable experience here, there's no need to rush him or to fast track him, let him coem here, adjust to the simulated pro experience, and then go to Houston next year, with a ton of confidence. He's best off coming here where he can acclimate easier then being thrown in Houston in a much better league where he will have to earn his time, and be playing a much higher level, and a higher skilled level and he will have the crazy travel of pro hockey.

Here he can adjust slowly and build his confidence while learninig from great coaches.

I remember when I suggested that Coyle would do well in the Q, and everyone said not a chance, well I told you so. And he thrive here and it will set him up nicely for the future, the Detroit Red Wings way is the best way.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
I don't really mind how he goes it, goes to Aeros or stays in Sea Dogs. Either way good move IMO

I agree with you, he was going to play pro hockey, he should of left when he was drafted.

A friend of mine once said that if your a 1st or 2nd rounder, Major Junior is the way to go, if not then he recommends College hockey because of the education, and well you have more time to develop before going pro, and this is coming from someone who has a lot of knowledge in hockey to say the least.

NCAAvQ
The Q game, in my opinion which isn't shared by everyone on this board is better, I believe the skill level is superior. Very offensive league, IMO the best offensively skilled of the CHL, but also the less complete. I after the skill though the physical gap is in favor of the NCAA, probably a more complete game, the Q is pretty run and gun. The league is run like a pro league its the closest simulation you can get, some people will say that the USHL can touch this league but that's ********, the gap between the Q and O and dub isn't as big as its made out to be. Also the league is stronger this year and will even stronger next year if Coyle were to come back, because there are many young guns who will dominate next year. Just my take.

The AHL is far better and far superior then these to leagues, players who dominiate juniors don't always succeed here.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:01 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
Between the Q and the AHL? There's no comparison. The AHL has the skill of the CHL combined with the age, size, and experience that can't be had in "youth" leagues. The AHL has pre- and post-NHL players, the Q has 16-20 year olds who hope to one day play at a higher level.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
And he thrive here and it will set him up nicely for the future, the Detroit Red Wings way is the best way.
No. The Detroit Red Wings way is usually the worst way. They've gotten away with their method because they drafted an ageless generational talent in 1989, and found two absolute steals in the late 90s. Since then they've done absolutely nothing, and have likely ranked amongst the lower third of the league in draft performance.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:15 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
No. The Detroit Red Wings way is usually the worst way. They've gotten away with their method because they drafted an ageless generational talent in 1989, and found two absolute steals in the late 90s. Since then they've done absolutely nothing, and have likely ranked amongst the lower third of the league in draft performance.
Ericsson ? Frazen ?

Howard ? Jurco will be a stud, as will Tatar. Helm ?

Abelkader ?

I missed some guys.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
I agree with you, he was going to play pro hockey, he should of left when he was drafted.

A friend of mine once said that if your a 1st or 2nd rounder, Major Junior is the way to go, if not then he recommends College hockey because of the education, and well you have more time to develop before going pro, and this is coming from someone who has a lot of knowledge in hockey to say the least.

NCAAvQ
The Q game, in my opinion which isn't shared by everyone on this board is better, I believe the skill level is superior. Very offensive league, IMO the best offensively skilled of the CHL, but also the less complete. I after the skill though the physical gap is in favor of the NCAA, probably a more complete game, the Q is pretty run and gun. The league is run like a pro league its the closest simulation you can get, some people will say that the USHL can touch this league but that's ********, the gap between the Q and O and dub isn't as big as its made out to be. Also the league is stronger this year and will even stronger next year if Coyle were to come back, because there are many young guns who will dominate next year. Just my take.

The AHL is far better and far superior then these to leagues, players who dominiate juniors don't always succeed here.
Yeah I'm sure Phil Kessel, Jonathan Toews, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Dany Heatley Ryan Miller, Jimmy Howard and another couple dozen guys who I didn't name are all sorry they went the college route.

This thread is not getting into a NCAA/CHL overall debate, capice?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Yeah I'm sure Phil Kessel, Jonathan Toews, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Dany Heatley Ryan Miller, Jimmy Howard and another couple dozen guys who I didn't name are all sorry they went the college route.

If you wanna be that way then I can list a ton more. My point is he's going to a great program, he should of left for Saint John earlier to be fast tracked. I don't know why he stayed this long. Why not leave last year ? It not like he dominiated the NCAA.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Pfft. Sure looks like it is...

Yer a purple, too...

Time to whip out the:

Too bad for me, it only goes up to 35'...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:45 PM
saywut

Didn't see that coming. Somewhat concerned both about circumstances for him leaving and choosing the Q over the A, but only time will tell if it actually hurts his development. More games but against lesser competition(NCAA-CHL). Its possible Houston could've stunted his development if he's not confident in his offensive abilities, going to the Q should allow him to have major success which can't hurt his confidence.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Didn't see that coming. Somewhat concerned both about circumstances for him leaving and choosing the Q over the A, but only time will tell if it actually hurts his development. More games but against lesser competition(NCAA-CHL). Its possible Houston could've stunted his development if he's not confident in his offensive abilities, going to the Q should allow him to have major success which can't hurt his confidence.
This to a certain extent, the experience he will gain is invaluable, Memorial cups are almost impossible to win, he's got his chance on a loaded team, he gets to play will skilled players in one of the best programs in the CHL, in terms of skill he's not going to a lesser skilled league, the physcil aspect is worse, but there's a ton of good players in the league. The 16 year olds in this league are dam good players.

Wild would of prefered if Haula was in the CHL last year, they wanted Granlund in the NHL and they wanted Coyle in the AHL. The common trend they respected the decisions made by their players.

Old
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

so lets get this straight...

one of our top prospects
A) couldn't handle the 'rigors' of a light academic workload
or
B) ditched out on his team just as one of their top players is suspended indefinitely and the going gets tough
or
C) Is leaving because of the way the team treated a man accused of attempting to **** some girl...

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote