HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators 2 - 5 Bruins | Blah game...

View Poll Results: Pick 3 stars
Cowen 14 50.00%
Phillips 2 7.14%
Alfredsson 23 82.14%
Lee 3 10.71%
Butler 2 7.14%
Greening 6 21.43%
Smith 3 10.71%
Spezza 21 75.00%
Neil 3 10.71%
Konopka 2 7.14%
Carkner 8 28.57%
Karlsson 4 14.29%
Foligno 5 17.86%
Anderson 1 3.57%
Other *NAME WHO* 3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Plus, everyone loves Tim Thomas. How can't you? He's one of the best and should have an ego like Luonchokes but he doesn't. I just wanna hug him every time I see him
I feel the same lol.. he looks huggable & he's usually always smiling. Love Thomas & The B's.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Thomas is awesome until he's playing against us. Ugh. Thomas in the Scotiabank Place has to be as close to a guaranteed loss for the Sens as it gets.

But LOL at him killing Sedin.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
The only player on the B's i don't like is Dan Paille and that only because I went to college with his cousin and his cousin was a giant D-Bag who bragged about being Paille's cousin all the time.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
They handled it right. There's a dirty knee and there's a reactionary knee. You can put a 10 game suspension (read: ridiculous deterrence attempt) on any knee and the reactionary knees won't stop when a guy gets beat and instinctively tries to interfere with the guy any way possible.
i get your point and it makes sense, but what if foligno was out for the season?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
No suspension for McQuaid. I think it's fair. Just seemed like a reactionary play turned bad. 5 and a game seems fair to me. Even Nicky said he didn't think it was an intentional attack at his knee.
Its fine if they make this call every time if its a reactinary play no games but my fear is no games game this week maybe 5 games next week for the same play.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
i get your point and it makes sense, but what if foligno was out for the season?
They'd have had no choice but to suspend him.

I'm actually not one that agrees with suspending the result, but to suspend the act. But in this play, retribution makes sense. He didn't intend to injure...but if he did injure, he should sit.

He isn't innocent, but if there's no harm no foul....I have no problem with a game and 5 minutes.

Where as, the head shots that are in everyone's faces every day....if you deliver a shot like that, you should be suspended regardless.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Suspensions based on result is not a new concept. You can disagree with that paradigm, sure, but it's pointless to make the "result shouldn't matter" argument on each individual play. The fact is, they do matter, and Shanahan is not going to suddenly reject that ideology to suspend Adam freakin' McQuaid. Looking at this type of hit and how it's been punished in the past, the most this would have gotten is 1 game, and what's the big difference between 5 and an ejection and that plus a 1 game suspension?

Old
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Suspensions based on result is not a new concept. You can disagree with that paradigm, sure, but it's pointless to make the "result shouldn't matter" argument on each individual play. The fact is, they do matter, and Shanahan is not going to suddenly reject that ideology to suspend Adam freakin' McQuaid. Looking at this type of hit and how it's been punished in the past, the most this would have gotten is 1 game, and what's the big difference between 5 and an ejection and that plus a 1 game suspension?
i guess just the message. that players need to be less reckless. although i get that you can't take reactions out of the game. so yeah, that's a tricky one.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It's used all the time, and in a lot of cases I don't like it.

But in this case I think it's legit.

It was reactionary....so the onus is on him if Foligno misses time.

If a guy takes a whack at a guy in the head a la Marty McSorley...and the guy walks away fine. Well then, the result shouldn't matter.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
i guess just the message. that players need to be less reckless. although i get that you can't take reactions out of the game. so yeah, that's a tricky one.
I think personally the result I would have been happiest with would have been a fine. Not really a huge punishment in itself, in fact it's pretty much insignificant, but enough to officially mark McQuiad as a repeat offender if he screws up again. I can see wanting him suspended, and I don't feel strongly enough on this play to argue he shouldn't have been. In this case, however, he did get a 5 and a game, so that's still a pretty strong message on what was really just a spur-of-the-moment reaction.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
I think personally the result I would have been happiest with would have been a fine. Not really a huge punishment in itself, in fact it's pretty much insignificant, but enough to officially mark McQuiad as a repeat offender if he screws up again.
Hah, turns out this is exactly what McQuiad got.

I'm like, REALLY smart.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Um...

Yes suspensions based on the result or punishment based on results is not a new concept. However the act itself is what should be punished and then the severity of the punishment can increase depending on the severity of the move.

Just because it didn't injure one person doesn't mean it can't end another's career. We're trying to deter the act itself here. If that knee on knee had happened to Michalek he could have been severely injured. I think there should be a base suspension for any kind of dirty hit/play and then that suspension should get worse if the result is worse.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Um...

Yes suspensions based on the result or punishment based on results is not a new concept. However the act itself is what should be punished and then the severity of the punishment can increase depending on the severity of the move.

Just because it didn't injure one person doesn't mean it can't end another's career. We're trying to deter the act itself here. If that knee on knee had happened to Michalek he could have been severely injured. I think there should be a base suspension for any kind of dirty hit/play and then that suspension should get worse if the result is worse.
The point here is it was a unintentional reactionary play, if you've played hockey, you know how it works. When you're beaten and the last man back, your instinct is to stop the person from getting by you....sometimes it involves throwing the leg.

There really is no deterring this play...that's why Foligno called it a "hockey play" himself. It just happens....it's a severe penalty and should be punished based on the result.

Usually I'm opposed to punishing based on result, especially in instances of blatant intent to injure where there is no injury.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:52 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Um...

But it wasn't knee-on-knee. Foligno himself said it was knee-on-quad. The NHL won't punish intent. A player will not get punished for throwing a headshot that doesn't connect and hits a guy in the shoulder instead. Yes, you can say his intent was to decapitate the guy, but the NHL has never given out punishments for intent.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
But it wasn't knee-on-knee. Foligno himself said it was knee-on-quad. The NHL won't punish intent. A player will not get punished for throwing a headshot that doesn't connect and hits a guy in the shoulder instead. Yes, you can say his intent was to decapitate the guy, but the NHL has never given out punishments for intent.
I'm aware. I just think that it's something they should consider if they're really trying to deter something from happening.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Minister of Offence

You can't deter that play.

It's like telling someone not to blink when they put their finger to your eye.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:36 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
1. Alfredsson
2. Spezza
3. Cowen

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote