HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Study suggests canadians would support fighting ban

Old
12-16-2011, 10:11 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
I saw this before the Leafs game on TV.

Wanna know the sample size they took?

It was just over 1000 people.

This is why I hate these kind of statistics.

12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
This article makes me rage from a statistics standpoint.

Not only did they not mention sample size, margin of error, specific questions asked ("Should fighting be banned from hockey?", "Would you still support hockey at the same level if the NHL banned fighting?" and "Do you believe it is vital that fighting remains in hockey?" will be *massively* different results) or what constitutes "watch and follow the sport" (is it 1 game a week, is it they read a tsn article once a season, is it watch at least 5 games a week, etc.)

Not to mention that the first 2 paragraphs state the research has completely different conclusions

Quote:
It's been argued that dropping the gloves in hockey is an integral part of the sport's tradition, but a recent study suggested that most Canadian fans would support a ban on fighting.

60% of Canadians, aged 18 years or older, that watch and follow the sport agree that fighting should be banned from professional hockey, according to a recent nationwide Forum Research survey.
"Support a ban" is absolutely not the same as "agree that fighting should be banned" [emphasis added be me]

"Would you be extremely upset if it rained tomorrow?" 60% say no. Conclusion "60% of people support rain tomorrow"

"DO you want it to rain tomorrow?" 2% say yes. Conclusion "98% of people do not support rain tomorrow"

The bias introduced in questions (either pro or con), especially ones that are hot button issues in a field like this, is far too large for any meaningful results to be looked at without them. And this article doesn't care at all

12-16-2011, 10:19 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post

If the 1000 was chosen properly (as in via proper random sampling methods) 1000 is actually adequate enough to gain results without a ton of % error

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
How can anyone take a study seriously when they don't even state the sample size? Not criticizing you, just those who wrote the article/did the survey.
They mentioned it on TSN. Get ready for this, a WHOPPING 1,160 people were surveyed and the decision was split 60/40 in favour of banning fighting.

They provided no information who was surveyed, how the people were chosen, etc.

This just in, I surveyed 2000 people and 60% said that they would support a ban on fighting in hockey. They were homeless and don't own TVs but hey, numbers are never wrong, right?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

I don't know one hockey fan who wants fighting banned. We all love to watch fights, if you dont like it turn the T.V. off. Its as much part of the game as putting the puck in the net. so many sissys nowadays who complain about something that doesnt even affect them.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Study never asked me what I thought.

12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Im Canadian and I do not approve this study

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
If the 1000 was chosen properly (as in via proper random sampling methods) 1000 is actually adequate enough to gain results without a ton of % error
Quote:
It's been argued that dropping the gloves in hockey is an integral part of the sport's tradition, but a recent study suggested that most Canadian fans would support a ban on fighting.

60% of Canadians, aged 18 years or older, that watch and follow the sport agree that fighting should be banned from professional hockey, according to a recent nationwide Forum Research survey.
I guess I'm just not a fan of how this is done, and, well, you summed it up quite nicely in your other post here.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
I guess I'm just not a fan of how this is done, and, well, you summed it up quite nicely in your other post here.
Did you want them to poll 30 million people?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Sputty

Quote:

That's how sample sizes work. Over 1000 people is enough for most studies and if the study was done well, which it likely was, it should be found to be accurate with a margin of error.

When it comes to studies like this the sample size doesn't need to be giant and generally the thing that will skew results is how the question is asked.
If the question was "Should fighting be banned from hockey?" and the results were found to be 60% it would be a pretty good study. If the question was more open to interpretation it would likely lead to a less reliable poll.

Sputty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
yehyeh
Devils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
not me, that's for sure.

fighting isn't really for the spectacle. it's so two guys can vent frustration or find an avenue of retribution that isn't dangerous.

i wonder how skewed the results would be if they asked HFboards?
Are you serious? Do you watch the sport? A fight could change the game. It's all about moral on the ice. Go to a game and get a seat near the ice. You'll hear the frustration.

yehyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
WPGNYRFan

As long as guys like Carcillo are still playing, I want fighting to stay! Oh was that sweet watching him take some good shots!

WPGNYRFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Here's an excerpt from "Total Hockey" (first edition), page 110, written by Dan Diamond. It references a speech to the Canadian Club at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto, held on April 15 1998.

"The inquisitor wanted to know what the league intended to do about fighting in hockey.

Without hesitation, Bettman proceeded to stun the audience by asking for a show of hands as to who in the audience wanted to keep fighting in the NHL and who wished to have it eliminated. The result of this informal poll? Approximately half of the gathering in the room were for fighting and the other half wished to see it eliminated.

The room was polarized: Canadian television network executives voted both for and against its abolishment; executives from some of the country's biggest corporations also were split on fighting's value; members of the fifth estate - some for and some against; and most importantly, some of the most knowledgeable hockey fans in the world were also divided as to what place, if any, fighting should hold in their beloved game."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Banana Sandwiches

Remember folks, fighting is the reason why Crosby, Pronger, Skinner, Giroux, Michalek, Mueller, Rolston, Schenn, Letang, Niederreiter, Sauer, Staal, Savard, etc. all have concussions.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
Remember folks, fighting is the reason why Crosby, Pronger, Skinner, Giroux, Michalek, Mueller, Rolston, Schenn, Letang, Niederreiter, Sauer, Staal, Savard, etc. all have concussions.
Yes because other players have been concussed from incidents that have nothing to do with fighting that means fighting is perfectly safe......wait....what?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

More specifics.

Quote:
The study found that females were significantly more likely to support a fighting ban than males (74% to 46%) while older Canadians were also more likely to support a ban (86% for age 65 and up, 73% for ages 55-64, 64% for ages 45-54, 55% for ages 35-44, and 40% for ages 18-34.)

Fans in Quebec had the highest support for the fighting ban (67%), followed by fans in Ontario (61%), the Atlantic region (57%), BC (55%), and the Prairies (51%).

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:43 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
They've been programmed by the media.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
100% (or as close as it can be) of posters on here aren't either. Why don't we all just log off since we don't have the infinite wisdom at the disposal of NHL hockey players?
Oh, I readily admit a bias.

On the foodchain of hockey wisdom, indeed, an NHLer's opinion about how his profession should be regulated is weightier than that of a self-important fan or media type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
100% of those polled are the costumer....These guys don't get paid to play because THEY love the game, they get paid to play because we want to see them play...it really doesn't matter what the players think if the fans want something else.
I see. Buy a ticket, you get to run the sport. As I was saying, the self-important fan.....has quite the imagination of his own worth. I own a Mercedes...guess I get to tell them to change their logo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Which is really irrelevant. Hockey players in the 70's preferred playing without helmets.

It's about what's best for the people playing the game.
"Best" according to whom? Some geniuses in a poll?

Fun to play "God" with other's lives and livelihoods from the comfort of one's couch, isnt it? Oh, and by the way, since you brought it up, players in the '70s did just fine without helmets. And when they were grandfathered in, it wasn't because John Q. Public in the stands or press box lobbied for it. Likewise, if/when people in the game - players, coaches, GMs and medical professionals - deem it proper to eliminate fighting - it will be the correct time. Not you or I.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-17-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:49 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I don't know one hockey fan who wants fighting banned. We all love to watch fights, if you dont like it turn the T.V. off. Its as much part of the game as putting the puck in the net. so many sissys nowadays who complain about something that doesnt even affect them.
Sorry, but you must hang around with a bunch of retards. I'm a life long hockey fan and the majority of fans I know would be fine with fighting being removed, including some who played professionally at the minor league level. This idea that real players or real fans are all against removing fighting is ridiculous. A large percentage of fans think it's time to remove it from the game. And without fans, you don't have the NHL. You just have really good pick up games.

Fighting is not required in the game and I can watch MMA if I want to see a fight. When I watch a hockey game I want to see hockey. Perfect example were the 2 fights during last night's Sharks/Avs game. Both off face offs, both totally unnecessary and both had zero impact on the game. Looked like the proverbial two monkey's humping a football and were a total waste of time. It's a shame that the best sport on the planet can't see the stupidity and lack of necessity of fighting in the game.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:50 AM
tsnTpoint

You want a survey from actual hockey fans?

Put a poll on here, let the media report what comes from that.

Fighting is part of the game.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:51 AM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Sorry, but you must hang around with a bunch of retards. I'm a life long hockey fan and the majority of fans I know would be fine with fighting being removed, including some who played professionally at the minor league level. This idea that real players or real fans are all against removing fighting is ridiculous. A large percentage of fans think it's time to remove it from the game. And without fans, you don't have the NHL. You just have really good pick up games.

Fighting is not required in the game and I can watch MMA if I want to see a fight. When I watch a hockey game I want to see hockey. Perfect example were the 2 fights during last night's Sharks/Avs game. Both off face offs, both totally unnecessary and both had zero impact on the game. Looked like the proverbial two monkey's humping a football and were a total waste of time. It's a shame that the best sport on the planet can't see the stupidity and lack of necessity of fighting in the game.

Ever though maybe your the one hanging out with a bunch of retards?

Hockey is a physical game, fighting is part of it. Go sip some tea, and read a book now.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
More specifics.
Based on the results by age demographics, this is the same as everything. As people get older, they mature and gain intelligence.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:58 AM
saffronleaf

Opinion of an 18+ Canadian that follows hockey:

Please, for ****s sake, get rid of staged fighting before we get more enforcers wallowing in depression, dementia and substance abuse.

Staged fighting is a boring, sterile and contrived distraction to the game.

I don't mind when emotions get out of hand. I don't mind when a player rushes to the net, accidentally bumps into a goalie and a defenceman takes exception and goes at it with the forward in the heat of the moment. I enjoy that display of emotion and intensity; it adds to the game. Keep that in the game; just give out lengthy off-setting penalties.

But staged fighting needs to be removed from the game. At least phase it out with 10-minute game misconducts for staged fighting. If it happens towards the end of the game with less than 10 minutes left, automatic 1 game suspension.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:04 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

There's a lot of casual fans out there and alot of people who don't attend many/ no games. Alot more than those who are hardcore fans and are season ticket holders.

A hockey mom may consider herself a fan of the game but the only names she knows is Crosby Hopkins Hall and Eberle.

Id be more interested in results from a poll on TSN. It would probably be 60/40 but the other way.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:09 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Ever though maybe your the one hanging out with a bunch of retards?

Hockey is a physical game, fighting is part of it. Go sip some tea, and read a book now.
So reading a book is something to frown upon? Something to use as an insult toward someone? Something used to suggest that a person is what... against physicality in the game? To suggest someone is a... sissy?

Spell it out for me.

This is one of my biggest gripes with North American sports culture in general: the preponderance of meatheads. Do you have to be illiterate, guzzle cheap domestic beer, stuff chicken wings in your mouth while scratching your balls in order to be accepted and have your opinion on physicality validated?

I love the physical aspect of hockey. I play adult hockey. I enjoy delivering some nice checks. I love checking for Phaneuf's clean hits; his hits on Stephan Da Costa and Sauer were awesome.

But I think staged fighting is pointless.

I also happen to read a book now and then. Does that invalidate my opinion?

These are the kind of comments that perpetuate the idea that hockey fans in particular, and sports fans in general, are unsavory brutes (i.e. hillbillies).

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote