Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

AHL and ECHL names??

Old
12-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Solution

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
What you are talking about is the old UNITED HOCKEY LEAGUE. Which I liked. The problem was they wanted to become a MidWest only league the same time the **** hit the fan with the economy and that region of the country got it as good as anybody.
I did not get much of a chance to see the United Hockey League, but the regional thing I understand for logistic purposes. With my suggestion of going with several AA and A leagues is that it could be more regional. Thus travel would be mitigated somewhat. The more teams see each other the more dislike would build up. The only way to counteract the economy would be to have some of the costs subsidized by the parent affiliate. I am not entirely certain of all the logistics, but I could see how this would work. The AA level would be something like the West Coast Hockey League, the Central Hockey League, the East Coast Hockey League, and the United Hockey League. The A level would be something like the Federal Hockey League, the Southern Professional Hockey League, the Heartland Hockey League, and the Pacific Hockey League.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

One of the big problems with mandating any of these continental minor league hockey reorgs is simple - unlike baseball, hockey doesn't enjoy a special exemption from anti-trust regulation, and all of these suggestions definitely would restrain trade and the free market.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
One of the big problems with mandating any of these continental minor league hockey reorgs is simple - unlike baseball, hockey doesn't enjoy a special exemption from anti-trust regulation, and all of these suggestions definitely would restrain trade and the free market.
Don't see how that'd be the case, though. If it were, then the NHL would be a load of trouble right now from a legal standpoint.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Don't see how that'd be the case, though. If it were, then the NHL would be a load of trouble right now from a legal standpoint.
No, they aren't restraining trade by preventing other professional hockey leagues of any level from appearing, or from competing with them on their own level (the WHA proved that).

Were they to "take over" the minor league system, that would be de facto attempting to prevent different businesses (leagues) from entering the market, and while I'm not a lawyer, I'd bet that would be ripe for a host of damages lawsuits.

Plus, the NHL can't run themselves - how can you expect them to run the minors?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
No, they aren't restraining trade by preventing other professional hockey leagues of any level from appearing, or from competing with them on their own level (the WHA proved that).

Were they to "take over" the minor league system, that would be de facto attempting to prevent different businesses (leagues) from entering the market, and while I'm not a lawyer, I'd bet that would be ripe for a host of damages lawsuits.

Plus, the NHL can't run themselves - how can you expect them to run the minors?
Maybe, but again don't think that'd be the case. The existence of an officially sanctioned minor league system wouldn't necessarily prevent the formation of outlaw leagues, and from a shear business standpoint you could make the argument that major junior leagues aren't being hurt at all as they're for-profit hockey leagues as well.

And the NHL can't run themselves? Profits are up across the board and the number of troubled franchises is decreasing. They're fine, especially when you compare them to the MLB (more profitable, but also has more troubled teams) and especially the NBA (also more profitable, but much more troubled teams).

Old
12-16-2011, 06:55 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Maybe, but again don't think that'd be the case. The existence of an officially sanctioned minor league system wouldn't necessarily prevent the formation of outlaw leagues, and from a shear business standpoint you could make the argument that major junior leagues aren't being hurt at all as they're for-profit hockey leagues as well.

And the NHL can't run themselves? Profits are up across the board and the number of troubled franchises is decreasing. They're fine, especially when you compare them to the MLB (more profitable, but also has more troubled teams) and especially the NBA (also more profitable, but much more troubled teams).
The NHL isn't in THAT great of a state financially. I'm not a big fan and even I know that. The MLB is fine because of revenue sharing, even a team like the Pirates sees a good amount of $$$ through that and TV contracts. The NBA is a mess but the league is also different than anyother. Not so much talent to go around. Only sport league that might see the NHL watched more than is possibly the NBA, but even so the NBA is on National TV a hell of a lot more...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
The NHL isn't in THAT great of a state financially. I'm not a big fan and even I know that. The MLB is fine because of revenue sharing, even a team like the Pirates sees a good amount of $$$ through that and TV contracts. The NBA is a mess but the league is also different than anyother. Not so much talent to go around. Only sport league that might see the NHL watched more than is possibly the NBA, but even so the NBA is on National TV a hell of a lot more...
care ro explain, GMR, why didn't all pro hockey in North America didn't cease in 1994, because the above comment is BOGUS

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:

Uh.....Not even remotely close. NBA television revenue 1 billion, NHL: 200 million.
Viewership order NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, Nascar, NHL.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
[/B]

Uh.....Not even remotely close. NBA television revenue 1 billion, NHL: 200 million.
Obviously with TNT and ESPN under contract they have sweet TV deals, doesnt necessarily mean it's overly popular though. I think for the younger folks it might be but I know a lot of older adults who used to likie the NBA in the 70's and 80's that loathe it now,

I'm shocked that NCAA Football and Basketball are so low on that list.

Old
12-16-2011, 06:52 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
[/B]

No way. NCAA football and basketball are both more popular than the NBA, and MLB's ratings (especially championship ratings) almost always outdraw the NBA.

To be completely honest, the real rankings are probably as follows for TV viewship:

NFL > NCAA Football > MLB > NCAA Basketball > NBA > NHL

And March Madness' numbers blow pretty much everyone out of the water except the NFL. That's the main reason why MLB hasn't even tried to push the start of the regular season any earlier than they already have.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
No way. NCAA football and basketball are both more popular than the NBA, and MLB's ratings (especially championship ratings) almost always outdraw the NBA.

To be completely honest, the real rankings are probably as follows for TV viewship:

NFL > NCAA Football > MLB > NCAA Basketball > NBA > NHL

And March Madness' numbers blow pretty much everyone out of the water except the NFL. That's the main reason why MLB hasn't even tried to push the start of the regular season any earlier than they already have.
Second paragraph. I didn't make it up it was an ESPN survey. I know it's Wiki but it doesn't look made up.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_pro..._in_popularity

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:04 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
No way. NCAA football and basketball are both more popular than the NBA, and MLB's ratings (especially championship ratings) almost always outdraw the NBA. To be completely honest, the real rankings are probably as follows for TV viewship: NFL > NCAA Football > MLB > NCAA Basketball > NBA > NHL And March Madness' numbers blow pretty much everyone out of the water except the NFL. That's the main reason why MLB hasn't even tried to push the start of the regular season any earlier than they already have.
Actually nobody was watching the World Series this year and it was the best in a decade.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Second paragraph. I didn't make it up it was an ESPN survey. I know it's Wiki but it doesn't look made up.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_pro..._in_popularity
Uh.... the link you provided said that MLB was more popular than the NBA in TV viewership, and the rest of it is just conjecture based on various merchandise sales.

And the ESPN survey quoted specifically said that there were more baseball fans than basketball fans.

Quote:
Actually nobody was watching the World Series this year and it was the best in a decade.
Yeah, between two markets that nobody really cares about, and even that drew almost as much as the most hyped NBA Finals in years. When the peak of the NBA just barely surpasses the valley of MLB, not exactly a positive sign that the NBA is really more popular than MLB in terms of TV viewership.

Plus, and this is just my perspective, but there seems to me a much higher proportion of baseball fans that only prefer their own team than fans of other sports. Seems like hockey, basketball, and especially football fans are much more inclined to watch games, even regular season games, not involving their main team than baseball fans are, so that's an issue that MLB does need to address moving forward if they want to hold on to their slot as second most popular professional league in the U.S.... and I included professional there, as I think that NCAA football has already surpassed it.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
NBA has fallen pretty dramatically. I mean I don't know anyone personally that cares about anything but the playoffs. I live in the broadcast area of two teams and rarely get any coverage of either most of the time the coverage is scratched for College Basketball.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote