HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about shooting lefty or Righty

Old
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

vCash: 500
Question about shooting lefty or Righty

Now, On the main board, I've read numerous times now that your Dominant hand should be on the top of the stick, so Rights shoot lefty and leftys shoot righty. Is this true? Whenever I play hockey (I play for fun mind you), whether it just be on my driveway or at the Ice rink, I shoot righty. I'm also right handed. Never thought anything of it, My right hand and foot are dominant so I just assumed that I should shoot righty.

So is it true? Does the dominant hand go on the top of the stick? Should I be shooting lefty instead of righty?

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Kulluminati

Its mainly preference, however the common tradition is to put the dominant hand at the top of the stick. This is because when handling the puck with one hand its easier to control. I'm just like you, I do everything with my right hand and foot and also shoot right. I started out with a flat blade and this is the way I held the stick.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
Its mainly preference, however the common tradition is to put the dominant hand at the top of the stick. This is because when handling the puck with one hand its easier to control. I'm just like you, I do everything with my right hand and foot and also shoot right. I started out with a flat blade and this is the way I held the stick.
This is the exact reason I play left handed even though I'm right handed. Especially when it comes to poke checking and trying to skate hard on an initial takeaway and breakaway.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:15 AM
vapor11

My dominant hand is my right but I also shoot right..So my dominant hand is in the middle..So I would assume it is what you grew up with/works with you..Everytime I pickup a lefty for fun its brutal

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Don't think it matters in the end. When you play/practice enough, your muscles should've developed sufficiently. It does seem like the guys who play with their dominant hand have harder shots though.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Narut

imo it doesnt matter at all. u cant change to the other side, its like deciding to write with ur left hand from now on.

i heart that young beginners get a neutral stick and the way they are holding this stick is the right way.

Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
My dominant hand is my right but I also shoot right..So my dominant hand is in the middle..So I would assume it is what you grew up with/works with you..Everytime I pickup a lefty for fun its brutal
This is probably why. I used a lefty stick once before and it just wasn't right, so I stuck with the Righty.

I have easily the hardest shot out of all my friends so I'm not complaining eithr haha.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it feels more natural for you to shoot one way or the other, do it. If you literally have no preference, put your dominant hand on top.

My kid has been holding hockey sticks with his dominant hand on top since before he could walk. Never taught or told him anything. Just gave him a hockey stick and away he went.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
beth

I'm right-handed and shoot left. I like having the dominant hand on top especially when holding a stick one-handed. Sometimes I see the newbies (both kids and adults) try to go one-handed with the bottom hand and that's when I suggest they try the other stick.

But the issue with having my dominant right hand on top came when I was learning shooting and weight transfer -since I was used to swinging a bat and transferring the weight the opposite way. That's not so much of an issue if you've grown up playing hockey rather than starting as an adult.

Really all you can do is buy cheap wood sticks and try both sides until you settle on one.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:03 PM
mhkehoe

I am a righty that shoots right, but I am also American so I was taught to swing a bat before a hockey stick. When I finally picked up a hockey stick, that is how I played.

Now, there is no way for me to really go back. I've goofed around with lefty sticks and I can handle the stick decent, but I don't have the muscle memory for drags and weight transfer.

Basically, don't worry about it if it already feels natural and you are used to it. The only reason I would ever try to learn to play the other side is that 80% of the people around here shoot right, so I could player the right wing.

mhkehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:31 PM
hyster110

when it comes to shooting what ever way feel right is way to go, because with enough practice it won;t matter which hand is your dominant one because you will become proficient at stickhandling either way.

i am a right handed player who shoots right

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Albino14u

which ever way you want to learn is correct. I'm right handed and play lefty. When I was first learning I got a cheap right handed stick and a cheap left handed stick to practice with. I found that with the right handed stick my weight transfer was great for shooting but I really sucked at handling the puck. I would consider the weight transfer to be more like bowling than baseball. Puck handling with your dominant on top make for faster and more controlled stick movement or so I have discovered. During my earliest classes I found that I wanted to carry the stick in my right hand when skating down ice and I would always have to adjust my grip with a right handed stick, also my grip and wrist control is much stronger with my right (dominant) hand than left so if I do a one hand poke check or anything, I want my stronger hand in control of the stick. Now I just need to work on my weight transfer for shooting with a left handed stick. After all, I can't get a shot off if I can't handle the puck first.

Albino14u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
EasternConferences

I think it's all preference. I am right-handed, but a lefty in hockey. Don't remember ever having it any other way, since the time I had my first stick (probably four years-old or so). I also bat lefty in baseball. Everything else in life, other than hockey and baseball, I am a righty in. I don't know what happened . It certainly has been advantageous in both sports as an American. Where I live, about three quarters of all players are righties in hockey, and I can pair up and pass a bit easier with them.

That said, go with what you're comfortable with. Maybe even try a straight blade if you can find one? I wouldn't sweat it. I have picked up my brother's right-handed stick from time to time and it feels bizarre. Like a whole parallel universe has fallen into my hand. I don't like it one bit. It's like trying to write with the off-hand.

One thing I will say: my stickhandling is vastly superior to my shooting. I have been practicing my shooting a lot lately and it is finally catching up. I just have greater control and dexterity with my top (right) hand when stickhandling, and less power with my left when shooting and elevating the puck. But I just need to practice more and strengthen my arm and wrist.

EasternConferences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Guffaw

Right handed and I shoot right like most Americans. I think this stems from baseball. Most of us played little league bb first and picked up a hockey stick the way we bat.

I don't think it's a big deal either way because you can excel at either by practicing. However, if I was starting from scratch I would go dominant hand up top so I would shoot left as a righty. Why? I've been putting in alot of hours stickhandling and still suck

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternConferences View Post
One thing I will say: my stickhandling is vastly superior to my shooting. I have been practicing my shooting a lot lately and it is finally catching up. I just have greater control and dexterity with my top (right) hand when stickhandling, and less power with my left when shooting and elevating the puck. But I just need to practice more and strengthen my arm and wrist.
Exactly. I'm the direct opposite. My wrist shot is usually top 1-2 on the teams I've been on. My stickhandling is typically in the bottom 1-2. I honestly believe there is something to this as I've heard it numerous times.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
It's weird to think of having "choice" in the matter. I've just always shot left, can't remember ever trying the other way.
Whenever I need to remember that I can't get annoyed at people who can't stick handle well because they just started, not matter how easy it looks to me, I try stickhandling a ball on my right side. Suddenly it feels like I've picked up a stick for the first time again.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Exactly. I'm the direct opposite. My wrist shot is usually top 1-2 on the teams I've been on. My stickhandling is typically in the bottom 1-2. I honestly believe there is something to this as I've heard it numerous times.
Yes, it seems as though people whose dominant hand is at the top of their stick excel at stick handling and those whose dominant hand is at the bottom excel at shooting.

I'm a righty who shoots right, I often practise stick handling with only my left hand on the stick to gain dexterity.

I recommend buying a straight stick and just doing what feels right.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote