HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin Appreciation Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Jacques Martin Appreciation Thread

Happy or not about the change of coach, I think we need to take a second to acknowledge that a dedicated man just lost his job... a week before christmas to boot.

J.M, wasn't convinced you were the right man for the job, but thanks for working your arse off for our team.

Don't think anyone can deny that you did an excellent job implementing a very effective defensive system during your tenure in Montreal, and wether or not we excelled, we were always a well prepared team that competed far more often than not.

You also helped give us some highlights (first EC finals appearance in decades, a very exciting first round loss to the eventual cup champions), that we all appreciated regardless of how much/little credit was owning to you.

Thanks JM, all the best in whatever or wherever you end up next!

*i hope we can keep this thread just to thanks/appreciation of the man... plenty of other places to vent frustrations or talk about how fans were smart/dumb in their critiques of him.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

lol naaaaah

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
You won't find many here who will respect the work he did for this team, but I was glad to finally have an experienced bench boss with the Habs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
icerocket

I appreciate him leaving before the end of the year.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
You also helped give us some highlights (first EC finals appearance in decades, a very exciting first round loss to the eventual cup champions), that we all appreciated regardless of how much/little credit was owning to you.
Yup! I like your posts Miller Time. However, it was time to move on and hopefully we'll see some veterans produce a lot more now that Martin is gone... In my 22 years of existence, I've seen a couple of coaches get fired and the later results were pretty much identical... Are we a cup contender team with a new coach? Nope. Funny how we blame some veterans while he kept on blaming the inexperience of our youngsters.

Last edited by PhysicX: 12-17-2011 at 10:19 AM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HeShootsHeScores

I thought he did great the last 2 years. His professionnalism, while pissing off the fans and the media, helped to build a well balanced team.

This year was not the same. He was still coaching like it was 2 years ago and he shouldn't have.

Whatever people said, I'm happy with what he did, but it was time to make a change.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
You won't find many here who will respect the work he did for this team, but I was glad to finally have an experienced bench boss with the Habs.
I respect the work he did for us. In his time here we hit the conference finals and upset two top teams after being behind. I think he overstayed his welcome and we needed a change but we cannot deny he was helpful at some points. Price emerged under him as well, mind you, so did Halak. So I can respect the guy no doubt.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
TheBuriedHab

He had a system that he believe in. It worked to some extent, probably kept us a float. But its boring, and people are getting bored of the habs. I watch a lot more games around the nhl that are more exciting. The entertainment was just gone.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Iwishihadacup

*crickets*

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
oh yeah ? well you won't find many people here who have a clue what they are talking about. I certainly RESPECT what he did here and wish him the best. Our game had a structure, not the most exciting to watch, but an effective one, especially in the playoffs. If what people here wish is total hockey ... and major changes in our apporach, I hope they do not expect better results ... as we don't have the team to go head to head playing an open game against teams that are much better offensively AND have better defenders playing those 2 vs 3 and 1 v 2. Its simple logic . I agree he dealt poorly with plenty of things ...ie: the medias, the leads .. by one or two goals ... and that he deserves some criticism ... but the majority of his work here I think was structured and honest ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out! Good Riddance!!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
llamateizer

bravo to JM.
I was thrilled when we reached ECF. Give him credits or not, he managed to get us far since long time

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I've never been a fan of the style of hockey he wanted this team to play, but I think he won more games here than could reasonably be expected given the talent level and number of injuries. He also made a hugely gutsy move to give Halak a chance when he was outshining Price and that resulted in the best month or so of hockey I've experienced as a Canadiens fan.

I think a change was sorely needed, but I wish him good luck in the future.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
LeHab

With the roster he got, he did ok.

I give him an overall C+ grade. C being average.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Agreed. While I think his biggest issue this year was not having Muller behind the bench to help rev up the boys.

Still, he led the team on a magical run and he still has a solid system. Its his bench management that's lacking

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:30 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Agreed. While I think his biggest issue this year was not having Muller behind the bench to help rev up the boys.

Still, he led the team on a magical run and he still has a solid system. Its his bench management that's lacking
This, no denying that he is a decent, its just that he isn't much of a people person, or a guy to get guys reved up.

top 2 PK, top 5 in shots vs, top 10 in shots for, most blocked shots in the NHL, before this season we have a top 10 PP for two season.

Those are signs of a decent coach, but he just didn't have the personality to have the guys believe in the locker room when things werent going welll.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'm glad he helped Eller grow into a great player last year. Obviously once he became a great player through hating JM, JM still didn't give him more ice time and gave it to Darche, but still.

Martin was a good fit for the start of the new five year plan, but half way through that, we need a new five year plan and JM isn't part of it. Nor are those God awful contracts Gainey left for us.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Habs13

There is nothing to appreciate and the man that lost his job just scored himself a $2M Xmas bonus.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I didn't hate Jacques Martin, but it was pretty clear that the change was needed this season. That being said, I do appreciate what he did for the team over the past two seasons.

Cheers JM!

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
j52

This is the funniest thread title this year!

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
coolasprICE

POOR GUY

I mean, what is he going to do with his 2 million $ termination pay-out...?

In other news, 50,000 children died of hunger this morning.......

I feel so bad for JM !!!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Huge94

he has great ears

Huge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Ginu

Thanks for the Conference Final. Now GTFO.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I hate how people blame him for every small thing taht didn't work out perfectly.

Last time I checked Scotty Bowman was the best NHL coach ever and he had great talent and great teams...and he didn't go undefeated or win the cup every year.

I'm not convinced he was the BEST coach for the Habs, but we could have done a lot worse(Therien Tremblay etc).

I think it's guys like Cammy Gomez and Subban that indirectly got him fired. Playing a pretty boring dedfensive style, fans and owners won't mind when you win but it's an issue when you lose.

I hope it kicks guys making big $$$ in the pants because the young guys are doing their share.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
POOR GUY

I mean, what is he going to do with his 2 million $ termination pay-out...?

In other news, 50,000 children died of hunger this morning.......

I feel so bad for JM !!!
if you doubt for one second that a guy like J.M would be coaching hockey wether he made 2M$ or 200$, you don't understand the passion that these men have for their profession.

there is much more to life & happiness than money, while no one should "feel sorry for him" since he does have his health and the financial security to take care of himself & his family very very comfortably, a bit of empathy for a person who just had their dream job taken away from them shouldn't be such a hard thing to comprehend, i would think.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote