HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2011, 03:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Robbie Schremp had the talent too. As did Nikolai Zherdev, Rostislav Olesz, Benoit Pouliot, Derick Brassard, Michal Frolik, and countless others.

Old
12-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

At this point in Turris' career, he's a glorified Perreault. Granted, a year younger and four inches taller, but essentially the same player as Perreault at this point, with worse work ethic and a bigger salary. Skilled, quick offensive center without much strength on the puck, grit, or the ability to knock the opponent off the puck.

Perreault has actually put up more points/game in the NHL than Turris has. Kyle Turris is a draft bust. Give it up.

Last edited by Mystlyfe: 12-16-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old
12-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Re: Turris, the Caps aren't giving up what I would guess Phoenix wants for him. I don't think Perreault/Eakin + Schultz does it. Eakin + Schultz is probably getting close.
Not sure I would want to give up Eakin. I've seen some good things from Eakin even if he's not ready at 20 years-old. Also, you are giving up more trade bait in Schultz (even though he's not playing right now, I would bet there is a Schultz suitor out there somewhere).

Old
12-16-2011, 04:05 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Not sure I would want to give up Eakin. I've seen some good things from Eakin even if he's not ready at 20 years-old. Also, you are giving up more trade bait in Schultz (even though he's not playing right now, I would bet there is a Schultz suitor out there somewhere).
For Turris I wouldn't give up Eakin. I might not even give up Schultz straight up.

Old
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I don't think I'd give up anything for Kyle Turris. There's gotta be dozens of better options for what he'd cost.

Old
12-16-2011, 05:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm in agreement that I really don't get the Turris love-fest. The team needs solid professionals that have produced and are producing, not guys with questionable character and nothing but a good 4-game series on their resume.

I don't really care about Turris, but this cracks me up...now all guys who holdout have questionable character?

What a hoot...

Old
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I don't really care about Turris, but this cracks me up...now all guys who holdout have questionable character?

What a hoot...
Does a hold-out not make you question the motivations of a player? Are motivations not a big part of your character? Yes, a hold out makes a players' character questionable. It doesn't automatically mean they have poor character or character flaws, but it invites questions.

Old
12-16-2011, 07:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Does a hold-out not make you question the motivations of a player? Are motivations not a big part of your character? Yes, a hold out makes a players' character questionable. It doesn't automatically mean they have poor character or character flaws, but it invites questions.

No a holdout doesn't automatically make me question motivation. This is PRO sports. There's usually 2 people looking out for any given athlete (besides his family), his agent and himself. I fault no athlete who is not under contract for holding out for the deal they want. Now if they're under contract and want to renegotiate, that's not honoring a deal they signed...that's BS.

Do the all the owners of several pro sports leagues locking out their players because they don't want them to pay them as much, make their character questionable? Business decisions...

Not saying this is you, but this is where I see the typical fan get all pissy because they can't comprehend why a guy is holding out for a better deal. Fans don't typically make millions of dollars, so they can't understand why a guy making $1.4 would hold out for more. That's gotta be more than enough $$ right? Doesn't work that way.

Old
12-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

What a hoot...
Foy still holds it against Bondra.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

What a hoot...
Absolutely. What high-character guys do you know of that have held out after doing approximately ****-all at the NHL level?

Old
12-16-2011, 11:43 PM
sunnydaycrash

Man I wish we could get Gleason

Gleason-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Wideman
Erskine

Obviously by those pairings Schultz would be traded for forward depth or draft pick

Maybe Caps 1st for Gleason
Schultz for a 2nd?

Old
12-17-2011, 06:32 AM
txpd

orlov wideman is not an ideal pair at all.

Old
12-17-2011, 06:53 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I still cant believe Sarge is riding the pine. Anyone that projected him on the bench behind Orlov before the season started, should serve some crow if this continues. There is a story here. Do Dale and JJ think Bruce or George fumbled his development, and are reteaching him D101 for someone of his ilk? Maybe Dale simply has Erskine above him on the depth chart, and there is no story here. Maybe Dale thinks he is not suited for more man coverage. I wonder how his advanced stats look, quality of comp, Corsi all that stuff.

I am thrilled they are addressing his game. Those of us that wanted him pushed are getting our wish. I dont think we are trying to trade him, more like train him, at least for now.

And letting a kid like Orlov utilize games now to develop his game, much more productive from a organization development perspective.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:01 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Remember Asst. Coach Jim Johnson has an image of what he wants his defenseman to be. Quick on their feet, quick thinkers. Obviously Schultz does not fit this bill. Does Gleason? I don't know, but if you look at the Carolina boards, recent comments about Gleason are not very flattering and they peg him as a lower pair defenseman.

Anyway I'm not keen on moving any draft picks in the upcoming draft no matter what. The draft depth is just too deep. I realize that it will take a few years before those picks make it to D.C. hence you fall back to the other option of free agency in the mean time to address the team's needs come the off-season.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dont think we are trying to trade him, more like train him, at least for now..
"maybe, and i'm just spitballing here, maybe we as coaches have responsibilities to train schultz. maybe we as coaches have the responsibility to this team that the men charged with their security are trained professionals. i am certain i read that somewhere....schultz stays where he is. we are going to train the lad.
jj, if schultz doesnt make 4-6 4-6 on his next profiencency and conduct report, i am going to blame you and then i am going to kill you"

Old
12-17-2011, 07:41 AM
fsnoles98

Players that need to be moved here are Semin (inconsistent and plays with a lack of urgency), MattyP (lacks strength for NHL, career AHLer and if/when Beagle returns MattyP is out) and Schultz/Hamrlik (both slow as molasses, but Hammer has played okay lately). move some of these players and this team begins to get better.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I think Sarge can be a quick thinker, anyone can that is here. I think its all about aggressiveness. His passive game has been nurtured thus far, but the buck stops here. I wonder if we ran zone because of him heh.

Does anyone think Sarge is slower than Erskine or Hammer, or at least significantly slower? They all seem about the same to me. A few times per year we get to see Sarge hustle at top speed, and I shake my head and wonder where that guy is the other 80 games. Erskine for comparison, busts his ass every game. And I think that is why he is favored over Sarge. Its not fighting either, its giving his all for the team.

The first step is teaching him to move his feet, which will then evolve to what he does when he gets there. Once we get him to stop being passive, the next step will be convincing him to use his size, and when. He already has the stick check down.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:55 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Players that need to be moved here are Semin (inconsistent and plays with a lack of urgency), MattyP (lacks strength for NHL, career AHLer and if/when Beagle returns MattyP is out) and Schultz/Hamrlik (both slow as molasses, but Hammer has played okay lately). move some of these players and this team begins to get better.
i dont think those players signal much improvement.

*Perreault is a backup/injury replacement. Those extra players by definition are marginal players. When Beagle returns Eakin goes back to Hershey

* Schultz is currently a scratch. He has been replaced by Orlov. When Green returns Orlov will go back to Hershey. Schultz remains as a backup.

* Trading Semin has some impact if an impact player is returned in a deal. If he doesnt, the Caps are better of keeping him and hoping he can still find god mode.

Semin is the only player of those you mention that is playing and playing any sort of impact role. He's the only player mentioned that if he were not in the lineup would be noticed and could be replaced by a player of impact. the other players are extra right now and wont return a more impactful player.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Remember Asst. Coach Jim Johnson has an image of what he wants his defenseman to be. Quick on their feet, quick thinkers. Obviously Schultz does not fit this bill. Does Gleason? I don't know, but if you look at the Carolina boards, recent comments about Gleason are not very flattering and they peg him as a lower pair defenseman.

Anyway I'm not keen on moving any draft picks in the upcoming draft no matter what. The draft depth is just too deep. I realize that it will take a few years before those picks make it to D.C. hence you fall back to the other option of free agency in the mean time to address the team's needs come the off-season.
well, this is exactly what GMGM and co just stated in WaPo. They want to acquire picks for this draft, not lose them.

If we trade one of ou rd-men (Schultz), it will be for draft picks. I couldnt see us getting much more than a 2nd, if even that. Schultz's removal would open up salary cap space for another forward, hopefully a top 6 aging vet that we could get for a d-man prospect (like McNeill).

One thing Caps have in spades is young d-men. Green, Carslon, Alzner and Orlov are the core, and are all young. We dont have a need for any D prospects. Anything left over can be used to augment the team this year (salary cap allowances withstanding), and can be replenished by this years uber-deep draft.

Perrault is a player that will probably do well once he departs. Think Andrew Brunette.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Here's a link to that effect re: picks. Mahoney interviewed by phone in Germany, presumably there scouting the U20 Div. 1A tournament. ****ing hardcore.

I'm not so sure Orlov goes back to Hershey, Yeah, playing with Wideman isn't ideal but the player is perhaps their best passer through the neutral zone and that's huge for this team. Schultz's cap hit/contract has an impact, reserve or not. If he's not going to be given a string of games to prove himself then he should be moved. Erskine seems to be preferred if only for his toughness/intensity. D depth is important but that contract is brutal for a reserve.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
txpd

agree: erskine fills a role. he is good enough to play, but not a better defenseman that schultz or hamrlik. its important to remember that erskine is a perishable product. one more fight might be his last with the concussions that he has had in recent seasons.

yes. schultz contract is a killer. i am simply saying that moving him doesnt change much as he is not playing right now. removing marginal players to be replaced by other marginal players or not replacing them doesnt make the team better.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
agree: erskine fills a role. he is good enough to play, but not a better defenseman that schultz or hamrlik. its important to remember that erskine is a perishable product. one more fight might be his last with the concussions that he has had in recent seasons.

yes. schultz contract is a killer. i am simply saying that moving him doesnt change much as he is not playing right now. removing marginal players to be replaced by other marginal players or not replacing them doesnt make the team better.

cap space.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
cap space.
Given that Schultz makes less than Poti, with the way they're getting by only with the LTIR exemption, it actually wouldn't clear up very much (well, none at first, but I think it would clear up a little bit once they sent someone like Eakin down).

Old
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

On the main board, kings fans are saying they'd agree to a Semin for Stoll + Williams swap. Personally I'd do it in a heartbeat.

8-19-20
21-90-Williams
25-Stoll-42
26-15-22

Looks much better than atm

Old
12-17-2011, 12:00 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
well, this is exactly what GMGM and co just stated in WaPo. They want to acquire picks for this draft, not lose them.

If we trade one of ou rd-men (Schultz), it will be for draft picks. I couldnt see us getting much more than a 2nd, if even that. Schultz's removal would open up salary cap space for another forward, hopefully a top 6 aging vet that we could get for a d-man prospect (like McNeill).

One thing Caps have in spades is young d-men. Green, Carslon, Alzner and Orlov are the core, and are all young. We dont have a need for any D prospects. Anything left over can be used to augment the team this year (salary cap allowances withstanding), and can be replenished by this years uber-deep draft.

Perrault is a player that will probably do well once he departs. Think Andrew Brunette.
If you are going to try to place a value on Jeff Schultz, remember the Capitals obtained Wideman from the Panthers for a 3rd round last year plus Hauvirth. That was a steal. If Schultz is moved for a draft pick, I think it's more in the neighborhood of a 4th rounder ala our trading Fehr to the Jets.

Right now, the Caps have two first rounders (Colorado and ours), perhaps one second rounder (Boston's via the Varly trade, we do not have ours as that went with Steckel to NJ for Arnott) and we have our 3rd rounder. I would like to see the Caps at the very least get another 2nd rounder and another 3rd rounder, if we got another first rounder that would be out of this world. To acquire such draft picks the Caps would have to move some pending UFAs and others at the TDL, namely Semin and probably a Vokoun and Wideman (once Green is healthy) along with a Schultz. I'd be very surprised to see Hamrlik go due to his contract. I don't share some folks thoughts regarding Perreault. I think he has a purpose being on the 23 man roster and getting the occasional sweater as an energy guy, his size is what it is, but I thought he played well the other night.

Closed Thread