HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
12-16-2011, 11:49 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
So those with Fios last night, did you notice the game being laggy, or choppy? The whole time, my tv never showed smooth action.

Also, those with Vizio TVs, is there a good setting number for hockey? They have presets for football and whatnot, but no hockey.
I didn't notice anything like that. Crystal clear, no problems for me.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
NYRKING30

just seen on the rangers facebook page that time warner cable is threatening to drop msg networks on 1/1/12. does anybody else find this odd considering fios just got msg hd yesterday?

NYRKING30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
just seen on the rangers facebook page that time warner cable is threatening to drop msg networks on 1/1/12. does anybody else find this odd considering fios just got msg hd yesterday?
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...-rss&FEEDNAME=

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
So those with Fios last night, did you notice the game being laggy, or choppy? The whole time, my tv never showed smooth action.

Also, those with Vizio TVs, is there a good setting number for hockey? They have presets for football and whatnot, but no hockey.
Make sure your cablebox is outputting the signal in 720P (not 1080i).

Menu > Settings > Video Settings > Video Format > 720P 16:9

If your set is several years old it may have trouble handling fast motion/action cleanly...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old
12-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1466
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't this possible dispute with Time Warner help MSG in their HD dispute with FiOS?

12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't this possible dispute with Time Warner help MSG in their HD dispute with FiOS?
In what sense are you thinking? Timer Warner already has an agreement in place with MSG, it expires this calender year and they need to reach an agreement on new rates... They are negotiating over the rates.... Maybe MSG will play hardball with Time Warner knowing that TW can't afford to have their Customers leaving in masses over the dispute with ever increasing options with other carriers carrying the feed now...

Old
12-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Make sure your cablebox is outputting the signal in 720P (not 1080i).

Menu > Settings > Video Settings > Video Format > 720P 16:9

If your set is several years old it may have trouble handling fast motion/action cleanly...
I changed it, but my TV is relatively new. Prob only about two years old, if that. When the next game comes on, Ill switch back and forth and check out the diff. The Devils game looked better in 720 though.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I have TWC in my apartment in Buffalo. This situation is much bigger up there since a lot of people have TWC and the Sabres also play on MSG networks.

Good thing I bought center ice, but if this goes through (or falls through) I'd lose all the random games they forget to black out

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:07 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I changed it, but my TV is relatively new. Prob only about two years old, if that. When the next game comes on, Ill switch back and forth and check out the diff. The Devils game looked better in 720 though.
Okay then you should probably be able to get it working to your standards...

The 'i' in 1080i stands for "interlaced" scanning: The lines of pixels running horizontally across your screen take turns refreshing in an alternating pattern. With fast moving objects you can get motion blur with that type of video processing:

Quote:
Interlaced video is designed to be captured, transmitted, or stored, and displayed in the same interlaced format. Because each frame of interlaced video is composed of two fields that are captured at different moments in time, interlaced video frames will exhibit motion artifacts known as "interlacing effects", or "combing", if the recorded objects are moving fast enough to be in different positions when each individual field is captured. These artifacts may be more visible when interlaced video is displayed at a slower speed than it was captured or when still frames are presented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced

The 'p" in 720p is for "progressive" scanning... All of the lines of pixels are refreshed at the same time when processing the video:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan

Quote:
Advantages of progressive scan

-Absence of visual artifacts associated with interlaced video of the same line rate, such as interline twitter.

-Frames have no interlace artifacts and can be captured for use as still photos.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 12-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 08:24 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Check the settings on your display as well. See if you have any kind of motion enhancers on or off and try those as well. Usually called "smooth motion" or something like that.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Okay then you should probably be able to get it working to your standards...

The 'i' in 1080i stands for "interlaced" scanning: The lines of pixels running horizontally across your screen take turns refreshing in an alternating pattern. With fast moving objects you can get motion blur with that type of video processing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced

The 'p" in 720p is for "progressive" scanning... All of the lines of pixels are refreshed at the same time when processing the video:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan
Does FiOS broadcast in 1080p? That would be sick.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:21 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Does FiOS broadcast in 1080p? That would be sick.
As far as I know, no channels are broadcasted in 1080p yet (for any provider). Only way you will get 1080p on your set is if you are watching a bluray DVD.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:44 PM
SRTtoZ

Cablevision dude came to my house, AGAIN to try and convince me to come back. He said he could do $20 cheaper per month for 2 years plus an Ipod touch of my choice lol. Of course I said no way.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
redfzn

Time Warner subscribers, please go to keepmsg.com or call 888-KEEPMSG.

I've already left them one rant of a voice message.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1466
Quote:
In what sense are you thinking? Timer Warner already has an agreement in place with MSG, it expires this calender year and they need to reach an agreement on new rates... They are negotiating over the rates.... Maybe MSG will play hardball with Time Warner knowing that TW can't afford to have their Customers leaving in masses over the dispute with ever increasing options with other carriers carrying the feed now...
I was thinking that since Cablevision had to give MSG HD to FiOS because they already gave it to other providers, maybe they wouldn't have to give it to them until their dispute with Time Warner is over. Does this make sense?

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
As far as I know, no channels are broadcasted in 1080p yet (for any provider). Only way you will get 1080p on your set is if you are watching a bluray DVD.
Eventually they will, I'm sure.

It would look amazing.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

MSG HD is in 1080i regardless of what you've set your cable box to output, it just depends on whether your cable box or TV has a better deinterlacer.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
MSG HD is in 1080i regardless of what you've set your cable box to output, it just depends on whether your cable box or TV has a better deinterlacer.
-some HD sets don't support 1080i

-it's displayed on your monitor based on whatever you have your cablebox set to

Progressive scanning is preferred for displaying fast moving video objects

Old
12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

I have TWC now, in the event they drop MSG and I pick up Center Ice would the games be blacked out anyway?

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:41 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery316 View Post
I have TWC now, in the event they drop MSG and I pick up Center Ice would the games be blacked out anyway?
Yes.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:41 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I was thinking that since Cablevision had to give MSG HD to FiOS because they already gave it to other providers, maybe they wouldn't have to give it to them until their dispute with Time Warner is over. Does this make sense?
No because the issue with TWC is $$$$, that was never an issue with Fios. MSG just refused to give it to them regardless of the money.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
The only 1080p being broadcast currently, that I know of, is some On-Demand stuff on Direct-TV.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:58 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._negotiations/

Quote:
In the carriage renewal fight between Time Warner Cable and MSG, the MSO Sunday put the negotiating ball in the programmer’s court.

Time Warner Cable pledged that it would not take MSG and its sister regional sports network, MSG + off its air through the balance of the NBA and NHL seasons, offering to pay a 6.5% increase in monthly subscriber license fees.

The parties’ have evidently been negotiating for two years and their contract expires on Dec. 31. On Friday, Time Warner Cable dropped music network Fuse.

“We will not remove MSG/MSG+ from our New York cable systems. That ball is in MSG’s court,” said Mike Angus, senior vice president, content acquisition for Time Warner Cable, in a statement. “Time Warner Cable and our customers have stood by MSG and its teams through thick and thin. Our customers have paid whether the teams won or lost; they deserve better.”

MSG returned fire Sunday night with this response: “Time Warner Cable is blatantly mischaracterizing our negotiations and the figures as a smokescreen for the fact that they are not willing to pay fair and reasonable rates for our programming.”

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Durbo20vT

Just moved in to my new place and the town doesnt provide cablevision, but Charter instead. There is no MSG HD or NHL Network HD available...

at&t and verizon arent available in the area yet, but "soon"

i'm going to lose it...

Durbo20vT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

So absolutely stoked about FIOS getting MSG HD. Put on the TV for my son this morning and noticed there was a message on the cable box. Nearly soiled myself in excitement when I read it.

Rangers vs. Devils tonight in HD on the 50" plasma
24/7 tomorrow night
Rangers vs. Islanders Thursday in HD.

Just picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker black label on Sunday and some Founders' Breakfast Stout.

This is a good week indeed!

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote