HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 12:05 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
'Per interim' is a nice way to test the reaction and hopefully get everyone used to an English-only speaking coach by the end of the year, especially if the team experiences some success.

As for Gauthier's belief that languages can be taught this easily, that makes him the biggest fraud that every existed. If Cunneyworth was the initial plan and his French was important, they would have gotten him started on it while in the AHL.

To me, French for the coach is mandatory and not just a 'bonus asset' and quite frankly, I thought it was for the organization as well. I am severly disappointed and it puts the final nail the the coffin as far as my support for it is concerned.
I hope more "fans" like you abandon the team.

Maybe we should put an asterix next to all the cups this franchise has won with ENGLISH speaking coaches.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:06 PM
One Trick Pony

What's with this whole french crap? Do you guys even have your own opinion or you just buy in to the media brainwash? What, just because they're life depends on the language that the coach speaks, you take this personally and feel like you're included? What does it change in your life if the coach speaks Chinese or Arabic?

TRANSLATION EXISTS. I bet you never read a book that was written somewhere other than in Quebec, or seen a Hollywood movie or hollywood shows translated in french, right? Pff

Old
12-17-2011, 12:08 PM
NotProkofievian

Okay, three of you just voted that the coach MUST be bilingual. Prepare yourselves: I will destroy you in an internet argument.

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!

Old
12-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yeah, it would be very hypocritical of me to want the coach to be able to communicate with more than 3 players on the roster.
Franco's can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in North America., it's very frustrating!!!

Old
12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Franco's can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in North America., it's very frustrating!!!
Not good to generalize bro. I'm not french, but you'll piss off a lot of people with that post.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Ya, the argument totally doesn't work in reverse

The fact is by adding a bonus requirement you effectively contrain the options available to you in order to improve. It really is a simple concept. I understand where those concerned with the French language are coming from, but at some point something has to give.
I'm concerned about our team, not the politics some people like to bring into it. This team needs to succeed not be pushing a failed agenda that won't ever get wings ever again.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Not good to generalize bro. I'm not french, but you'll piss off a lot of people with that post.
I really could care less...

Old
12-17-2011, 12:12 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
This, dam I even vote for the BQ/PQ and I want the best coach available

Old
12-17-2011, 12:12 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
'Per interim' is a nice way to test the reaction and hopefully get everyone used to an English-only speaking coach by the end of the year, especially if the team experiences some success.

As for Gauthier's belief that languages can be taught this easily, that makes him the biggest fraud that every existed. If Cunneyworth was the initial plan and his French was important, they would have gotten him started on it while in the AHL.

To me, French for the coach is mandatory and not just a 'bonus asset' and quite frankly, I thought it was for the organization as well. I am severly disappointed and it puts the final nail the the coffin as far as my support for it is concerned.
I am one hundred percent sure of two things:

1.) you can speak english perfectly.

2.) even if the head coach of the habs can't speak french, you can live your existence entirely surrounded by french. Your culture is not in danger because of this move.

Moreover, if you want to abandon this team as yorus, then I commend you. If you want to support policies whereby the best people can only be hired by way of some miracle that all of them happen to be french, then you get what you deserve: a team who doesn't have the best people in place, and a team who very possibly doesn't have what it takes to win.

You are part of the problem.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I think that was honestly the intention. That being said a lot of people simply need to stop pushing their political agendas with regard to a sports team. It's honestly embarrassing how some so-called "fans" of this team would rather the team fail with a bilingual/french coach than succeed with a uni-lingual non-French coach. Obviously they don't come out and say that but it basically is what you're saying when you aren't willing to look at half the coaches in the league based on political ********.

I don't get how some people aren't ashamed of that honestly. I think I would be quite ashamed of myself if I was that prejudice

Old
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
I really could care less...
You should. Generalizations are stupid especially when you look at the poll results and see that only 3 of 50 people voted for a bilingual coach.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

good luck Randy and Randy,please bring back the excitement of watching Montreal Canadiens hockey!!!*( i.e no more 216 goal a year seasons!!,and let free the offense guys we got on this team , and no Darche on the top 2 lines in playoffs!!)

I wish you guys both the best ,and hope your Ahl season with the dogs translates into the same in Montreal for rest of season.

Quote:
Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur led the Bulldogs to the North Division championship with a 44-27-2-7 record for 97 points. Furthermore, the Bulldogs reached the Western Conference Finals where they were defeated in seven games (3-4) by the Houston Aeros.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:17 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
You should. Generalizations are stupid especially when you look at the poll results and see that only 3 of 50 people voted for a bilingual coach.
Well said.

Old
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
This, dam I even vote for the BQ/PQ and I want the best coach available
See this guy gets it. He gets that it's about pushing this team to succeed not pushing some political agenda. It's a ****ing sport. If the team can be more successful with one coach over another language should never play a part. If ownership actually runs this team like that then they should be boycotted. You know people love to whine about how the habs will sellout anyways and are perfectly happy being mediocre and sitting back collecting pay. But then those very same people turn around and whine that the coach absolutely has to be bilingual.

A bit hypocritical imo. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If a better non-francophone coach is available you take him. People don't want the team to be **** but they can't tolerate the team being better based on the language a coach speaks? Okay then I guess. It just goes to show how illogical people are with this "agenda" in the first place.

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think that was honestly the intention. That being said a lot of people simply need to stop pushing their political agendas with regard to a sports team. It's honestly embarrassing how some so-called "fans" of this team would rather the team fail with a bilingual/french coach than succeed with a uni-lingual non-French coach. Obviously they don't come out and say that but it basically is what you're saying when you aren't willing to look at half the coaches in the league based on political ********.

I don't get how some people aren't ashamed of that honestly. I think I would be quite ashamed of myself if I was that prejudice
It is nothing but celebrated xenophobia and ethnocentrism.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
The same can be said about anglo's living in Quebec...

Anglo's can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in Quebec., it's very frustrating!!!

Generalized will get you nowhere...

I don't think we absolutely need a bilingual coach but you need to understand that it important for many french speaking quebecers to have a coach who speak their language. The Montreal Canadiens are more than just a hockey team.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Hire the best guy available. He can exclusively speak Mandarin and I wouldn't care.
That would be awesome

Old
12-17-2011, 12:23 PM
zx81

I'm a francophone and I really don't care if the coach can speak French or not. Never understood that requirement.

Anyway I'm more worried about the fact that Randy was already an assistant here. Anyone knows the last time an promoted assistant did a good job ? I know it rarely works.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
The same can be said about anglo's living in Quebec...

Anglo's can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in Quebec., it's very frustrating!!!

Generalizing will get you nowhere...

I don't think we absolutely need a bilingual coach but you need to understand that it important for many french speaking quebecers to have a coach who speak their language. The Montreal Canadiens are more than just a hockey team.
And I think it wouldn't be right if nobody on the coaching staff spoke French. Having at least one insider who can answer questions in French is very important.

But I don't see how having a unilingual Anglo coach is any way oppressing Quebecois. Especially when it's clear a lot of people complaining are also fluent or at least proficient in English. This team has never been an exclusively Francophone institution.

Not all of us have had the privilege of growing up in a bilingual community. It's a matter of demographics - there's a lot more English speakers involved in hockey than French speakers.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
And I think it wouldn't be right if nobody on the coaching staff spoke French. Having at least one insider who can answer questions in French is very important.

But I don't see how having a unilingual Anglo coach is any way oppressing Quebecois. Especially when it's clear a lot of people complaining are also fluent or at least proficient in English. This team has never been an exclusively Francophone institution.

Not all of us have had the privilege of growing up in a bilingual community. It's a matter of demographics - there's a lot more English speakers involved in hockey than French speakers.
I do not think they see it as a act of oppression but more as a lack of respect toward them.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Batali Crocs*

In a matter of what, 4 hours since Martin was fired, I already heard a french guy complaining in the metro about the new coach not being french.

Some people will never learn...

Old
12-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
I do not think they see it as a act of oppression but more as a lack of respect toward them.
I get that and that's why I do think language is something that should be considered. This is a bilingual organization, and it should be. But we got to be pragmatic too.This organization should be above politics and when you hear fans say they will no longer be fans if the head coach only speaks English..well, good riddance.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:33 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
I think it's time for something BIG! REALLY BIG! I present to you THE idea of all ideas:

Georges Laraque! First black headcoach in the NHL. Speaks English and French. He loves toughness and already scored a hat-trick, meaning he has a full-attack mentality. BEST IDEA EVER! Let's pressure Mr. Molson!

Old
12-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Dekar

We should hire a suicide-bomber as our coach so that the players would be scared ****less to lose.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Yeah and every West Islander are ****ing tools!

See what I did there ?

On the subject I kind of want Randy Carlyle to be honest.

Closed Thread