HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
They all get fired in the end.
Not after 2 years and a half....

Old
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Not after 2 years and a half....
Not sure what this means ????

Old
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Not sure what this means ????
Every coach eventually gets fired, but coaches should be able to last more than 2 years and a half.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Every coach eventually gets fired, but coaches should be able to last more than 2 years and a half.
Oooopsie !

"shows the average length of term per team to be 2.6 years for an NHL coach"

Old
12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Look I really don't want francophone people to feel disrespected or anything but ultimately the reasoning for wanting a bilingual coach doesn't hold water. In sports you go for the best player, coach, management available. If language is a concern you get a translator.

It boils down to an entitlement issue.
It doesn't hold water for people not believing in it. It holds water for the ones who do. Problem with the "doesn't hold water" fans, is that they are using such phrase like "Would you prefer winning instead" or "take the best man available" or whatever and that to me doesn't hold water. OF COURSE, we wouldn't be going after Jean Perron just for the sake of hearing him talk. OF COURSE, we should take the best man available, but that concept is so vague...who decided to choose who is the best man available? Dale Hunter was coming from Juniors and so could Patrick Roy? Cunneyworth used to coach in the AHL but so did Benoit Groulx. And history shows that franco or real bilingual coaches are also capable of being the best man available for having their own kind of success. From Demers, to Vigneault, to Julie. How about Lemaire or Burns? Last unilingual coach we had? Bob Berry....yeah, best man available alright...great success.

Being a professionnal hockey team is more than just playing the game on the ice. It's how you implicate yourself outside of it as well. Who cares about charities right? Isn't it what kind of game you play on the ice? Yet, do you see the Habs without supporting any charities, or going to hospital and all? And this is a media oriented sport. With a city and a province solely oriented on hockey, nevermind the Alouettes or even the Impact as great the MLS will be.

So knowing all of that, knowing the success the franco/bilingual guys had and knowing that at some point those guys are mostly there because they went through the Habs organization first, well I don't see why we wouldn't continue the trend. But clearly not to the point to choose the worst guy out there. Yet, a guy like Jean-François Houle should be the next Bulldogs coach. And look around in the Juniors and despite speaking french, he surely has as good a resume as a lot of people have.

It's often about who you know instead of what you know. And being known does not necessarily quality as being "the best man available". Unfortunately for the Q people, they don't seem to be that great in human relations.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Pat Burns was one of the best coaches of his generation but he repeatedly got fired after 4 seasons with the same team It's a very hard job to keep long. Getting fired mid-season is what makes this rare. Three years wouldn't have been all that short a stint. It certainly would've been too long for my liking.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:36 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Franco's can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in North America., it's very frustrating!!!
And englos can be so unrealistic forgetting we live in Quebec, a francophone province... it's very frustrating

Old
12-17-2011, 01:36 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Oooopsie !

"shows the average length of term per team to be 2.6 years for an NHL coach"
I thought the point was to aim for... like... better than average?

Old
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think that was honestly the intention. That being said a lot of people simply need to stop pushing their political agendas with regard to a sports team. It's honestly embarrassing how some so-called "fans" of this team would rather the team fail with a bilingual/french coach than succeed with a uni-lingual non-French coach. Obviously they don't come out and say that but it basically is what you're saying when you aren't willing to look at half the coaches in the league based on political ********.

I don't get how some people aren't ashamed of that honestly. I think I would be quite ashamed of myself if I was that prejudice
Scotty Bowman is bilingual, how many cup did he win?

you don't necessary need a bilingual coach to win in Montreal, not trying to find the best bilingual option is unaceptable though

Last edited by HABsurde: 12-17-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: miss word
Old
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It doesn't hold water for people not believing in it. It holds water for the ones who do. Problem with the "doesn't hold water" fans, is that they are using such phrase like "Would you prefer winning instead" or "take the best man available" or whatever and that to me doesn't hold water. OF COURSE, we wouldn't be going after Jean Perron just for the sake of hearing him talk. OF COURSE, we should take the best man available, but that concept is so vague...who decided to choose who is the best man available? Dale Hunter was coming from Juniors and so could Patrick Roy? Cunneyworth used to coach in the AHL but so did Benoit Groulx. And history shows that franco or real bilingual coaches are also capable of being the best man available for having their own kind of success. From Demers, to Vigneault, to Julie. How about Lemaire or Burns? Last unilingual coach we had? Bob Berry....yeah, best man available alright...great success.

Being a professionnal hockey team is more than just playing the game on the ice. It's how you implicate yourself outside of it as well. Who cares about charities right? Isn't it what kind of game you play on the ice? Yet, do you see the Habs without supporting any charities, or going to hospital and all? And this is a media oriented sport. With a city and a province solely oriented on hockey, nevermind the Alouettes or even the Impact as great the MLS will be.

So knowing all of that, knowing the success the franco/bilingual guys had and knowing that at some point those guys are mostly there because they went through the Habs organization first, well I don't see why we wouldn't continue the trend. But clearly not to the point to choose the worst guy out there. Yet, a guy like Jean-François Houle should be the next Bulldogs coach. And look around in the Juniors and despite speaking french, he surely has as good a resume as a lot of people have.

It's often about who you know instead of what you know. And being known does not necessarily quality as being "the best man available". Unfortunately for the Q people, they don't seem to be that great in human relations.
This

Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
I thought the point was to aim for... like... better than average?
Ummm but they don't, the fact is the average is 2 and 1/2 years. Of course you would want him to last longer. But hey when he hasn't kept up with the new NHL. You get canned after 2 years !

Old
la25ecoupe

Fire Boucher then we hire him.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I really can't wait for the Nordiques to return.
Their first move can be to hire Marc Crawford again and see if his french has improved.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Fire Boucher then we hire him.
That would be great because the people crying over Jacques forcing boring hockey will just love seeing Boucher's 1-3-1 here.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
'Per interim' is a nice way to test the reaction and hopefully get everyone used to an English-only speaking coach by the end of the year, especially if the team experiences some success.

As for Gauthier's belief that languages can be taught this easily, that makes him the biggest fraud that every existed. If Cunneyworth was the initial plan and his French was important, they would have gotten him started on it while in the AHL.

To me, French for the coach is mandatory and not just a 'bonus asset' and quite frankly, I thought it was for the organization as well. I am severly disappointed and it puts the final nail the the coffin as far as my support for it is concerned.
See Ya, Go cheer for the Quebec Rampart.....
You hire the best person for the job despite race or what language they speak. This is not 1950 here, wake up!

Old
12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

I can only imagine the nicknames cunnyworth will get if he sucks.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
See Ya, Go cheer for the Quebec Rampart.....
You hire the best person for the job despite race or what language they speak. This is not 1950 here, wake up!
It's because the Habs coach in 1950 was an anglo...

Old
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
It's because the Habs coach in 1950 was an anglo...
Bingo ! So it shouldn't matter today !

Old
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Habs13

Call up BERGY!!!!

Old
12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Bingo ! So it shouldn't matter today !
Indeed.
But the best coach is Franco anyways.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Price4Prez

Honestly, I will be so happy the day the Nordiques come back! so all these blind pro francophone people will have a team to go cheer for! And dont worry, im sure Montreal can find 21 273 anglophones to fill up the Bell center everynight!!

No more stupid remarks, on how they cant relate to the team bla bla bla. you hire the person that makes the most sense at the moment. And half way through the season. Taking on your assistant coach, who also knows half your players from being your AHL coach, is the best choice for the rest of the season!

Old
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Cyclones Rock

Any head coaching hire in Montreal who doesn't learn to speak-in due course-passable French is ridiculous. If he isn't bright enough or motivated enough to learn to speak another language, then he's probably not the man for the job.

The lack of respect for the heritage of this franchise on this board is appalling.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:08 PM
zx81

Therrien ?

Old
12-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Kid Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Any head coaching hire in Montreal who doesn't learn to speak-in due course-passable French is ridiculous. If he isn't bright enough or motivated enough to learn to speak another language, then he's probably not the man for the job.

The lack of respect for the heritage of this franchise on this board is appalling.
The heritage of this franchise is winning Stanley Cups.
I think we all want that and the team has to hire the best coach to help the team reach that objective.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

Because it's that easy to become proficient enough in French to conduct press conferences in it when you are a middle age coach working in a team whose common language is English.

Closed Thread