HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can anyone vouche for non big Brand sticks?

Old
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Doughnuts08

vCash: 500
Not sure bout the lower end Tron sticks, but the Tron Elite is the same as a Bauer Total One (made in the same place). I just picked one up today for like $80 bucks....gonna try it out at my game tonight and see how it feels compared to my S19 which I've been playing with.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Rebels21

Combat is great. so is ballistik

Rebels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:46 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ3 View Post
Not sure bout the lower end Tron sticks, but the Tron Elite is the same as a Bauer Total One (made in the same place). I just picked one up today for like $80 bucks....gonna try it out at my game tonight and see how it feels compared to my S19 which I've been playing with.
So I could pick up a One40 stick and it would be the same as a TotalOne because it is made in the same place?

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl View Post
So I could pick up a One40 stick and it would be the same as a TotalOne because it is made in the same place?
No, because the stick itself is a blank TotalOne without the Bauer branding and decals.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
No, because the stick itself is a blank TotalOne without the Bauer branding and decals.
LOL

you're just like that other guy that said that the Blue Nano was the same as the S19

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:50 PM
WithOutPaperss

For Rebillion, a kid on my hockey team bought 3 on sale....he broke 2 in the same game. Just throwing that out there

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
LOL

you're just like that other guy that said that the Blue Nano was the same as the S19
You do know that S19's are made in Mexico and Total One's in China right? Do you really think no other companies can order sticks made cheaply at these factories? If you know who the guys are who run HockeyTron, they've been in this industry a long time and I believe what's been told to me by one of their head guys since I've played hockey with him for awhile now.

I just played tonight with the Tron stick, and I actually like it better than my S19. Asides from the ugly graphics (which is why I spray painted it black) it's a great stick

Old
12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Proof?

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:51 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
You do know that S19's are made in Mexico and Total One's in China right? Do you really think no other companies can order sticks made cheaply at these factories? If you know who the guys are who run HockeyTron, they've been in this industry a long time and I believe what's been told to me by one of their head guys since I've played hockey with him for awhile now.

I just played tonight with the Tron stick, and I actually like it better than my S19. Asides from the ugly graphics (which is why I spray painted it black) it's a great stick
so now you're saying that since they're made in the same country that they're the same stick... oh man. I wanna hear what your friend said to you to make you believe that.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't doubt that the Bauer stuff has been cloned in China. My dad works for an engineering company and pretty much any time they bring anything overseas, even stuff that's been patented, it gets ripped off and resold by that manufacturer.

But I also wouldn't trust anyone from China who claims they are making the same stick. Unless you work for Bauer and know the specs and the specific manufacturer, it could easily just be BS.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
so now you're saying that since they're made in the same country that they're the same stick... oh man. I wanna hear what your friend said to you to make you believe that.
No, thats not what I said at all. I'm saying they make their sticks from the same manufacturing plant that the Bauers are made and that according to him it's the same stick. Whats so hard to believe about another company making a generic brand of a larger name company's stick? This happens all the time in every industry with generic branding. Same product, generic brand name = cheaper price. These sticks are made cheaply in foreign countries, and you pay an arm and a leg for them due to the brand name. I have yet to play with an actual TotalOne to compare directly, but the stick felt a lot better than my S19.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wouldn't doubt that the Bauer stuff has been cloned in China. My dad works for an engineering company and pretty much any time they bring anything overseas, even stuff that's been patented, it gets ripped off and resold by that manufacturer.

But I also wouldn't trust anyone from China who claims they are making the same stick. Unless you work for Bauer and know the specs and the specific manufacturer, it could easily just be BS.
I completely understand what you're saying, I do however trust the guy I know, and have actually played with the stick, and it performs better than my S19. Without knowing someone directly from Bauer, you could never say 100% its the same (as you said), but from the way this stick performs I dont doubt what he's told me.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
AIREAYE

I'm going to say the same thing now like I did with the other guy. If you like the Tron stick better and it feels similar to the T1 and you say so, that's cool; it's your opinion. But unless you have facts to back up your claim, don't claim that they're the same.

Old
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Torspo makes pretty good sticks too. Theres another brand out there too I believe they're called Evolution or something like that, I know a kid who is playing for the Wheat Kings (WHL) right now and he used Evolution sticks growing up and he said they were great.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:28 AM
r3cc0s

I also heard Salming makes a helluva stick, but again... nobody here uses it

Winwell also has a new 400gram stick, which is no doubt a marked up version of some generic, but it looks pretty darn good.

That being said, the SMU dictator @ my local costco, seems to be a nice stick... being that the weave and weight matches the T90, I'm thinking that is what it is, and for $79 that's a bargin

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
ean

This bickering is pissing me off so Im going to buy a tron elite and let you guys know.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:58 AM
dabeechman

I liked my Harrow stuff, and when it was 50% off...it was a hell of a deal.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:28 PM
dbargaehr

Not sure about the Tron LE/Elite Sticks, but their Xmas sale they had the LE for $40 (normally 80).

The Tron Basic stick is actually really heavy for a composite, but on a budget they're better than any $40 stick you'll find. I did a review on mine a little while back...I don't really like the whip, but I've found that it's lasted longer than any of the $100+ Easton or Bauer sticks I used to buy...there's a few chips and dings along the blade and shaft, but it chips WAY less than my Eastons used to. I'm curious to try the LE (I heard it's much lighter), but all in all I'd give the Basic a high bang-to-buck ratio and the fact that it's lasted me 6+ months so far and still is in game shape is nice.

Also, as a 6'0" defenseman I appreciate that the TRON sticks have an extra 2 or 3 inches that they leave on the end of the stick.

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
The stick is heavy and has a poor whip. Play with it for a while. It's one of those sticks you think just needs to be broken in a little, but then you're 5-10 games in and its still not feeling right.
you were absolutely correct, this stick feels like it's made out of lead...on the other hand I also got a Reebok Resistance 3k, pretty sweet stick...I think I will stay with big brand names from now on

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:03 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbargaehr View Post
Not sure about the Tron LE/Elite Sticks, but their Xmas sale they had the LE for $40 (normally 80).

The Tron Basic stick is actually really heavy for a composite, but on a budget they're better than any $40 stick you'll find. I did a review on mine a little while back...I don't really like the whip, but I've found that it's lasted longer than any of the $100+ Easton or Bauer sticks I used to buy...there's a few chips and dings along the blade and shaft, but it chips WAY less than my Eastons used to. I'm curious to try the LE (I heard it's much lighter), but all in all I'd give the Basic a high bang-to-buck ratio and the fact that it's lasted me 6+ months so far and still is in game shape is nice.

Also, as a 6'0" defenseman I appreciate that the TRON sticks have an extra 2 or 3 inches that they leave on the end of the stick.
I'm a 6'0 defencemen and when I use a 5.5 or 6 deg lie, my stick is still only at my collarbone...

your stick must be past your eyebrows

Old
12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

WinnWell makes AMAZING wooden sticks, accuracy wise. $25, haven't had mine break yet. I mainly use it for roller though. I believe its the RX-4, but they just came out with a new composite line that is very light

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:46 PM
AIREAYE

^spammer

Old
01-01-2012, 10:32 AM
r3cc0s

I would love to give a Mikken, Tron, Blue Ice, and the 400gram Winwell a go... but even @ a $100... I'm heistant

I mean all & all they're chinese made graphite sticks with a taper for low kick point...

I can find so many good sticks for $100 that its tough for me to justify... i.e. T90/ST/SE16s

if they were $50... no problems, and honestly that's where their market would be... and should be looking at volume sales instead

Old
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's always tricky since sticks are on clearance all the time. I think the "big boys" might do that on purpose to crowd out the smaller brands. When you're dropping $100+ on a hockey stick you'll take the safer option.

The way that Harrow did it was very cool, giving 50% off to get the foot in the door. I know a buddy of mine ordered some sticks two years ago and won't use anything else (then again he's literally using the same two sticks and they will not break so he doesn't have to replace them). Unfortunately once the offer expired, the price of a two piece went up with shipping to about $150, which is the price of a stick you can drive to the store and pick up, and it would be lighter and higher performance. and the ST is a very similar stick to the Harrow for the same price, plus it's an Easton.

Tricky market.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
I'm going to say the same thing now like I did with the other guy. If you like the Tron stick better and it feels similar to the T1 and you say so, that's cool; it's your opinion. But unless you have facts to back up your claim, don't claim that they're the same.
I kind of feel you are looking for an argument. You told me that yes, and I stopped writing back but I have to here.

Why do you find it so hard to beleive that a big name brand like Easton can't be cloned and sold to smaller brands. Thats exactly what blue ice did they are making cloned S19's in their nano sticks. I already said they are differences but the geometry of them are the same, they run the same patterns and different materials. Essentially the same stick without grip and fancy s19 paint. I bet if I gave you a nano and an S19 painted jet black you wouldn't know the difference.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote