HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin FIRED!

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Martin firing?
Right timing (Good riddance) 30 11.76%
Finally (Should have happened sooner) 152 59.61%
Surprised (they didn't wait until later in the season) 48 18.82%
Should have kept him as coach. 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 03:31 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
i can't sift through the whole thread... what do the vets say. Is Gomez set to return now.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

The whole "Only french speaking coach" is pure ******** stirred by the media, and the habs' organization bite into it.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Gauthier made the Habs small and soft ! But we still have Darche !

Old
12-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Quoted for truth...

When everything else is stripped away this insane insularity that needs to be in Quebec is a large part of the problem. Until Molson walks up to a microphone and tells the media that he doesn't care about language and he's hiring the best coach available then we will be mediocre. The timing has to be perfect to get the best francophone coach and we're always out of sync.
Not going to happen.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:43 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
I rarely agree with him but people whining about the spacek trade are the silly and clueless ones.
Oh really? Why? Explain to me why it's a good trade.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I agree. Gauthier has only been around two years, and he inherited Gainey's mess. I think he has been a step up so far. When Gainey was in power, we could only look forward to off season signings like Samsonov, Smolinski, etc. Gauthier has been making bigger splashes.
Gauthier and Gainey have been working as a team for longer than 2 years. Why don't people get this?

Old
12-17-2011, 03:46 PM
guest1467

Can't wait till next year when all the same people in this thread cheering are getting on the next coaches ass.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So let me get this straight...

We have a GM that traded Spacek(who has negative value at 3.83 mil...most fans on here would have added a 3rd round pick just to dump him) for a guy that cost Boston Colborne(one of their top 2-3 prospects), a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick only 10 months ago....and some fans are STILL not happy!

It's like trading Plekanec and Cammalleri for Crosby and fans coming on here complaining that we didn't get a 1st rounder thrown in...
Depends on your point of view. It could also be argued that PG traded a starting player for a guy he could have had for FREE less than 6 months ago.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Can't wait till next year when all the same people in this thread cheering are getting on the next coaches ass.
I give it two months, tops.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
**** YEAH1111
hope Martin took Mathieu with him

Old
12-17-2011, 03:50 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gauthier and Gainey have been working as a team for longer than 2 years. Why don't people get this?
I think everyone gets it. But we really don't know how much influence he had before, nor how much Gainey has now. I am not even arguing that Gauthier is the best GM or a good GM, but since he has been at the helm we have definitely been more proactive. So that's a start. I think change is needed, I just don't think we need to blow everything up at once. I think it's tough to judge Gauthier at this point.

Old
Slick Eller

Quote:
Sad but true.

But I never liked JM style of play/coaching mentality in his Ottawa days, Florida and Montreal.

He makes the team really boring without excitement. I was way more pumped up for Habs game when they had Carbonneau and Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn filling up the net every net.

I think, Subban, Cammalleri and Eller will be the biggest winner with a new coach.

The biggest loser will be Desharnais, Darche, Gill and hopefully Gomez(ahl)

Old
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Depends on your point of view. It could also be argued that PG traded a starting player for a guy he could have had for FREE less than 6 months ago.
That is assuming that player would have wanted to come here then.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So let me get this straight...

We have a GM that traded Spacek(who has negative value at 3.83 mil...most fans on here would have added a 3rd round pick just to dump him) for a guy that cost Boston Colborne(one of their top 2-3 prospects), a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick only 10 months ago....and some fans are STILL not happy!

It's like trading Plekanec and Cammalleri for Crosby and fans coming on here complaining that we didn't get a 1st rounder thrown in...

So much fail in that post

Old
12-17-2011, 03:53 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I give it two months, tops.
At least Cunneyworth has a bit of a shield because he is only interim.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He couldn't get him free because Spacek's 35+ was clogging up the cap space.

If somebody told you last summer Gauthier found a taker for Spacek and signed kaberle you'd call him a genius...well indirectly it's what he did.

Last 5 games Kaberle is 0-8-8 and +2.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Magic33

Martin was not at fault. The guy who assembled this team is. Martin really has nothing to work with. Look at our top 5 go to guys. They don't compare to most teams in the league. People get on his case for shuffling lines, but thats hockey. Every coach ever has shuffled lines. You need to try new things, hoping for a spark. People hate on his defense, but we don't have the big guns to play all out offense. Gauthier/Gainey should be gone next ...

Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
So much fail in that post
Heaven forbid somebody should put facts on the table. Mass panic is sooo much more entertaining...

Old
12-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Sad but true.

But I never liked JM style of play/coaching mentality in his Ottawa days, Florida and Montreal.

He makes the team really boring without excitement. I was way more pumped up for Habs game when they had Carbonneau and Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn filling up the net every net.

I think, Subban, Cammalleri and Eller will be the biggest winner with a new coach.

How so?

Randy had him with the Bulldogs.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Martin was not at fault. The guy who assembled this team is. Martin really has nothing to work with. Look at our top 5 go to guys. They don't compare to most teams in the league. People get on his case for shuffling lines, but thats hockey. Every coach ever has shuffled lines. You need to try new things, hoping for a spark. People hate on his defense, but we don't have the big guns to play all out offense. Gauthier/Gainey should be gone next ...
He had a fair bit to work with. For some reason he wasn't getting the best out of Cammy PK and others.

Old
MathMan

Quote:
At least Cunneyworth has a bit of a shield because he is only interim.
The Habs better win tonight.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post

I don't think anyone will be a winner personally, I don't see how Cunneyworth can provide the same product as Martin could, not in the long run anyways.

If they actually go and hire a legit coach with experience this summer, it will make this move a little better but I just don't see how this brings any positives.

If they hire another rookie Quebecois coach I think I will ****ing puke.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why does people say that? How the hell would people know he wouldn't do a good job? 'Cause he speaks his mind? 'Cause he seems more proactive than reactive? Do people really think that the guy won't be able to acknowledge where he's at and adapt to it? How about realizing that the guy won as a player. That he won as a coach as well. That it's time to move on. The guy starts with the fact that he played the game extremely well. Players have already stated that it's a big plus from them. And they will respect him winning a whole lot. It might not finish well in the end, we never know but how people are able to already say that he would be no good makes no sense. Same people who then are ready to throw Hartley under the bus. Yet, he did coach professionnals before. And won a Cup. But that to is no good? While I wouldn't agree with Hartley myself, I'm just wondering what the heck are you looking in a coach if a rookie who succeed isn't good enough or if a pro who succeeded once isn't good enough? Oh you want a great vet who succeed? Well guess what? Babcock, Ruff and Trotz aren't available. Unless you want Keenan who fits in that best man available category. Who would have wanted Hitchcock in here?
Being great as a player doesn't necessarily translate to coaching/GM success. Ask Wayne Gretzky. Heck, we already had an ex-hab player who won Stanley Cups, but failed as a head coach in Carbonneau. Enough is enough. Roy quit on his team as a player and wanted to be traded. That was a selfish move on his part. His temper is well noted especially in the infamous game with his son fighting and causing a brawl inspired by Roy himself. Totally irresponsible. Passionate, yes. Coaching temperament, no. I for one am getting tired of the Habs breaking in new coaches and going through their growing pains.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
MathMan

Quote:
I don't think anyone will be a winner personally, I don't see how Cunneyworth can provide the same product as Martin could, not in the long run anyways.
Cunneyworth is basically being asked to do exactly what Martin did, but act more animated while he's doing so.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:59 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Or you could face reality and realize that its been reported in credible media (TSN) that Carolina was offering teams a 2nd rounder to take Kaberle.

So basically we gave up taking a 2nd rounder to dump $2m of Spacek's salary instead of burying him in the minors.

Closed Thread