HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Friendly Advice for Drew Doughty

Old
12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

vCash: 500
Friendly Advice for Drew Doughty

It's like he's skating with a backpack full of cement.

Out of all the Kings, Doughty is the guy who most needs to get the joy of playing hockey back.

He's finally got his big contract. Now he needs to get back his big swagger.

The supremely confident shrug of the shoulders that says, "I just made a play that you can't make." That's what he needs to find.

Think about what Patrick Roy used to do, when after a nice glove save, he would fling the puck back on the ice after the whistle as if to say, "Get that **** out of here."

How can Doughty lead? Doughty needs to be the one to get back to the happy chatter on the ice. He needs to get back to being the most intense celebrator on the ice after a goal whether he's the one who scores it or not. He needs to flash that occasional smile.

For anyone who says, "Winning will bring all that stuff back," I disagree. The Kings can't wait that long. Drew can help bring back the winning if he adjusts his attitude.

Maybe look at some old videos of Marcel Dionne. Now that was a happy warrior. Even when his team was at the bottom of the standings, Dionne loved playing the game and loved making plays, it was obvious. He was also the happiest guy whenever the puck went in the net.

Doughty needs to stop being the kind of petulant player who shoves an opponent dangerously into the boards with his team down a goal and 7 minutes to go in the game.

If he decides to get happier, and start to swagger a bit more on the ice, the rest of the Kings will follow suit and get a bit more spring back in their step.

Drew, we want to see again that happy-intense attitude, that once upon a time, made Kings fans love you back in the beginning.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:17 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
It's like he's skating with a backpack full of cement.

Out of all the Kings, Doughty is the guy who most needs to get the joy of playing hockey back.

He's finally got his big contract. Now he needs to get back his big swagger.

The supremely confident shrug of the shoulders that says, "I just made a play that you can't make." That's what he needs to find.

Think about what Patrick Roy used to do, when after a nice glove save, he would fling the puck back on the ice after the whistle as if to say, "Get that **** out of here."

How can Doughty lead? Doughty needs to be the one to get back to the happy chatter on the ice. He needs to get back to being the most intense celebrator on the ice after a goal whether he's the one who scores it or not. He needs to flash that occasional smile.

For anyone who says, "Winning will bring all that stuff back," I disagree. The Kings can't wait that long. Drew can help bring back the winning if he adjusts his attitude.

Maybe look at some old videos of Marcel Dionne. Now that was a happy warrior. Even when his team was at the bottom of the standings, Dionne loved playing the game and loved making plays, it was obvious. He was also the happiest guy whenever the puck went in the net.

Doughty needs to stop being the kind of petulant player who shoves an opponent dangerously into the boards with his team down a goal and 7 minutes to go in the game.

If he decides to get happier, and start to swagger a bit more on the ice, the rest of the Kings will follow suit and get a bit more spring back in their step.

Drew, we want to see again that happy-intense attitude, that once upon a time, made Kings fans love you back in the beginning.
With a salary of that size he should be putting the team on his back and carry them through their slump. Too bad he's only 22

The Butcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Duc620

Everyone has misdiagnosed the Doughty.

The Doughty suffers from "Penner Legs Syndrome".

The Doughty has not been treating his god-given pistons properly with plenty of exhausting exercise, protein, vegies, and water. The Doughty is still skating on the same legs he brought with him from the Canadian equivalent of high school. In the US pro leagues these are called "high school sticks" as in "you should sue those sticks for non-support". The generic "kid" is usually tacked on. In the Los Angeles subculture known as Hockeywood, the condition (or lack thereof) is referred to as "Penner Leg Syndrome". This is what happens to talented athletes with quick minds and hands who got all the way to the bigs without really really working out. After a season or two.... they get slower and slower and make stupider and stupider decisions while playing. Because their while their minds and hands know what to do - their legs can't get there in time to do it.

Therefore, fans misdiagnose this as "he's lost his drive!", "he's got no touch!" and "he's had a concussion - give him time!". And the ever popular, "he's a world class talent - he'll come around!" Unhappily for the infected jock, there are no world class talents who suffer from Penner Leg Syndrome. Just guys with above average nervous systems who have decided to work their as*** and legs off.

BECAUSE THIS FREAKING SPORT IS PLAYED ON THEIR LEGS !!!!

Not on their talented a**es.

The Doughty will improve to Norris quality in direct ratio to the amount of Norris quality exercise he performs 12 months of the year. That is all.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:45 PM
misch13vousmike

to add to this, Drew, please see Gary Roberts!!

misch13vousmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:51 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Everyone has misdiagnosed the Doughty.

The Doughty suffers from "Penner Legs Syndrome".

The Doughty has not been treating his god-given pistons properly with plenty of exhausting exercise, protein, vegies, and water. The Doughty is still skating on the same legs he brought with him from the Canadian equivalent of high school. In the US pro leagues these are called "high school sticks" as in "you should sue those sticks for non-support". The generic "kid" is usually tacked on. In the Los Angeles subculture known as Hockeywood, the condition (or lack thereof) is referred to as "Penner Leg Syndrome". This is what happens to talented athletes with quick minds and hands who got all the way to the bigs without really really working out. After a season or two.... they get slower and slower and make stupider and stupider decisions while playing. Because their while their minds and hands know what to do - their legs can't get there in time to do it.

Therefore, fans misdiagnose this as "he's lost his drive!", "he's got no touch!" and "he's had a concussion - give him time!". And the ever popular, "he's a world class talent - he'll come around!" Unhappily for the infected jock, there are no world class talents who suffer from Penner Leg Syndrome. Just guys with above average nervous systems who have decided to work their as*** and legs off.

BECAUSE THIS FREAKING SPORT IS PLAYED ON THEIR LEGS !!!!

Not on their talented a**es.

The Doughty will improve to Norris quality in direct ratio to the amount of Norris quality exercise he performs 12 months of the year. That is all.
I hope you're wrong but many signs point to this.

I play in a mens rec league, intermediate skill level but there are some guys in the league that can really dangle and dance with the puck. The best guy on our team usually drinks a 22 ounce and smokes a joint just before gametime. He's in decent shape but I can out perform him in almost every area when it comes to endurance and strength. On the rink, totally different story.

Basically, the guy has a great talent. He can skate circles around the opponents, all I ever have to do is go the front of the net and the puck always magically appears on my stick. He is super skilled but never really had the drive to develop his skills. If he had focused on his fitness and disciplined I think he could compete at a very high level. But he doesn't so he's stuck playing at 10pm in a mens league.

What you said really hit home for me. Some guys are talented enough to get by on their natural ability alone but in today's NHL you really need to pull it all together. This has been my fear for DD for quite some time now. When you have skills like his it's easy to think that you don't need to put in the extra work.

DD still shows flashes of his former self but the time has come where he really needs to take his game back to an elite level and lead the Kings out of this mess.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:57 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Doughty's problem is obvious.

Ego.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I'm sure he's reading this board and taking notes right now.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
acrethrills

I can't think of a better team to break out of a slump against than CBJ tonight.

I'm thinking Williams, Doughty and Kopitar all get on the board tonight.

acrethrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Doughty's problem is obvious.

Ego.

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Whiskeypete

or just go the old school mark grace route

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Bandit

I've got some better advice for Doughty: tighten your ****ing chinstrap, son!

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:58 PM
onlyalad

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...g-players.html
Quote:
4. Drew Doughty, Kings

The latest in a long line of players who’ve followed up a contractual stalemate with a tough start to the season, Doughty is on course to finish the year with 24 points – three fewer than he had his rookie season. In the first season of an eight-year, $56-million deal, that’s beyond unacceptable.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
AStammer7*

Hope Kings Trade Doughty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I've got some better advice for Doughty: tighten your ****ing chinstrap, son!
It makes me sick to see Doughty play. He's the epitome of a prima dona. Wish the Kings would trade his sorry ass out of town and get some much needed offensive help on the wings. All Doughty has done this year is divide the team and play poor defense with marginally good offense.

PS With a new Sheriff in town,Doughty better buckle down or be prepared for a new address(Siberia would be nice)...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Doughty is playing like a ****ing idiot. Hopefully Daryl Sutter does his job and gets this ****ing team back on track.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:04 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Maybe Doughty just sucks

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Maybe Doughty just sucks
lol, thought of this possibility as well.

I pretty much agree with everyone here that the kid has a big head but I will say that when Doughty truly on his game (which we've only seen in small flashes lately) he is one of the most natural hockey players in the league.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Doughnuts08

Doughty's looked a lot better the last few games, he's been carrying the puck into the offensive zone more aggresively, and creating a lot more scoring chances...i think once the kings get out of their scoring slump the points will come.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
lol, thought of this possibility as well.

I pretty much agree with everyone here that the kid has a big head but I will say that when Doughty truly on his game (which we've only seen in small flashes lately) he is one of the most natural hockey players in the league.
As Babcock said when coaching Doughty at the olympics, he's "touched by god"

Old
12-17-2011, 05:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmaloney27 View Post
It makes me sick to see Doughty play. He's the epitome of a prima dona. Wish the Kings would trade his sorry ass out of town and get some much needed offensive help on the wings. All Doughty has done this year is divide the team and play poor defense with marginally good offense.

PS With a new Sheriff in town,Doughty better buckle down or be prepared for a new address(Siberia would be nice)...
Holy crap guy, chill out.

Doughty's got an ego, but he's 22. Let's see how things look after a few months or year with Sutter. relax.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Doughnuts08

double post

Last edited by Doughnuts08: 12-17-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Holy crap guy, chill out.

Doughty's got an ego, but he's 22. Let's see how things look after a few months or year with Sutter. relax.
He's from Alberta, he really wants Doughty traded so he can to to the Oilers who need tons of help at D

Old
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Just finished watching the game against the Leafs. It looks like Doughty is starting to take the advice.

I just invoiced him for my consultant's fee.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He was worth 6.5 million tonight.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:28 PM
no name

Doughty has never been that type of guy. There has never been a shred of evidence that he is a character guy. I keep holding onto the guy I saw play amazing 2 years ago and for that he's still a favorite of mine, but he's tough to attach to.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
It comes down to a coach or player being hands-on enough to make him into that guy. Without OD on the team and with Murray as the coach, there was no structure to make a player into a leader. Nobody on this team, including the coaching staff, was or is vocal or pro-active enough to make Drew into that type of character player. Maybe Sutter will be.

The problem with drafting character players has been that there haven't been vocal veteran leaders on the big club to foster and develop those qualities in players who display them from their draft age on, therefore those leadership abilities stay hidden and repressed and never really come out and are shown like they should have been in the first place. Richards is a good start and will pay off in that way when he gets older, but that quality is still lacking in the majority of the team. Brown strikes me as a decent captain, but he's developed with this group and doesn't have a list of battles to call back to and draw inspiration from in leading a group of players, and they know that. He will be valuable later, for the next generation of players if this team is able to continue their growth into a contender.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 12-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote