Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alarmist Over-reaction to Our Doldrums

Old
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
High Glove

vCash: 500
Alarmist Over-reaction to Our Doldrums

I know this is going to sound like alarmist, reactive, psychopathic, the-sky-is-falling, over-analytic nonsense, but...

...I think it might be time to blow this team up.

They've been chronic underachievers for a season and a half now. The lines, such as they are, never play well enough over a period of time to develop any sort of flow or knowledge of one another. The D corps is patchwork. The goalie's ego and physical health are very fragile. And as a unit, they really don't have any sort of identity.

I get tired of people preaching patience and restraint because we've tried that approach and it changes nothing. I recognize that we have a new coach and time must be given for him to implement his system and "de-Carlyle" the boys. But we are one of the worst teams in the league right now and I think we can all agree that that's flatly unacceptable with the amount of high-priced talent on our roster.

And...cue angry rebuttals.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:05 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Angry rebuttal

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

As much as I hate a lot of their guts this season, this isn't really the kind of team you blow up. There is a fairly young core in place which it wouldn't make much sense to trade. Personally I'd get rid of Hiller and Ryan, take our top 3 pick, hope for the best from one of Etem/Holland/Palmieri next season, and spend on a legitimate 2nd line player.

The defense is talented enough if they're not having to scramble to cover gigantic rebounds, or fearing what happens if they allow a single god damn shot. We can be pretty good or even great next season. I don't really trust Murray to make the right moves though.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I don't think you can call them chronic underachievers for a season and a half. Last season Visnovsky had a career year. So did Lydman. And Perry. Hiller was arguably having a Vezina caliber year, until the vertigo. That suggests, to me, that they overachieved last season.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
The issues are confidence, d-core, Hiller, lack of quality center depth, in that order.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:05 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
Angry rebuttal #2.

Actually...I kind of agree...

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Define a blow up?

Trade Ryan?-No
Trade Getzlaf- No
Trade Perry- No

It's a transition era for us. Sbisa and Fowler will eventually have to mold into top 4 defenseman for us eventually. You don't blow up a young core, that's just dumb.

Personally I'm in favor of entertaining offers for Hiller though.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
No, but definitely want one of those top 3 picks

It's a pretty good core and I don't think we need to do anything drastic quite yet. I think we absolutely need a 2nd line centre who can put up 55-70 pts and a SOB dman. Those two things would help us sooo much.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Bunindza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
The issues are confidence, d-core, Hiller, lack of quality center depth, in that order.
As a Caps fan, that sounds awfully familiar. I hope Bruce deals with those issues better for you guys than he did for us.

Bunindza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Don't say blow up cause alot of these fans were saying to keep Giguere cause he was a fan favorite blah blah blah. It's simple I love this and VERY appreciative to have this team in Anaheim but the fact of the matter is RPG is old news. If you don't have a solid 4 lines like 07 era your gonna get owned. Until the ducks organization wakes up and realize prospects and young talent makes the NHL, then you will never win. During the post game I agree with Dan Wood, we need to bring in a stronger d core even if it takes Shea Weber 10 year deal to whatever. Build our blueline up trade an RPG if necessary for a Grigs, Forsberg or etc type player in the draft then yes it will be deen necessary. This is Dan Woods advice 12/16/11 on AM 830

Last edited by Ducksgo*: 12-17-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:05 AM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Define a blow up?

Trade Ryan?-No
Trade Getzlaf- No
Trade Perry- No

It's a transition era for us. Sbisa and Fowler will eventually have to mold into top 4 defenseman for us eventually. You don't blow up a young core, that's just dumb.

Personally I'm in favor of entertaining offers for Hiller though.
I agree with you......Hiller needs to go before anyone else.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

There's little chance this team can make the playoffs this year so any drastic move they make won't help them make the playoffs. But there are a number of older guys with expiring contracts and an excellent crop of prospects and the very real shot at a lottery pick. I say stay the course, unload UFAs at the deadline, trade Hiller in the summer and draft a superstar. We'll just have to endure a lot more bad hockey until then.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
High Glove

My definition of "blow up" is this: identify the core players around whom you wish to rebuild (IMO: Ryan, Perry, Fowler, Lubo, Smith-Pelley, Sbisa, Beauch, Palmieri. Possibly Saku.) and do just that: rebuild around them. Teemu will retire. Hiller can go. Cogliano, Blake, Lydman, etc. can go.

And as long as I'm blaspheming my Ducks, I might as well say this: I wouldn't be crushed if Getzlaf was dealt. I love the guy as a human being and he's an outstanding hockey player, but this team has been built around him and he just doesn't seem up to the task. He vanishes for long periods of time. He takes lame, "uncaptainlike" penalties. He's streaky on everything: faceoffs, hits, shots. Simply put, he doesn't lead by example (like Teemu does). And I don't think that's the sort of player around which to build a contending team. He's an amazing player, but not really a leader.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Glove View Post
My definition of "blow up" is this: identify the core players around whom you wish to rebuild (IMO: Ryan, Perry, Fowler, Lubo, Smith-Pelley, Sbisa, Beauch, Palmieri. Possibly Saku.) and do just that: rebuild around them. Teemu will retire. Hiller can go. Cogliano, Blake, Lydman, etc. can go.

And as long as I'm blaspheming my Ducks, I might as well say this: I wouldn't be crushed if Getzlaf was dealt. I love the guy as a human being and he's an outstanding hockey player, but this team has been built around him and he just doesn't seem up to the task. He vanishes for long periods of time. He takes lame, "uncaptainlike" penalties. He's streaky on everything: faceoffs, hits, shots. Simply put, he doesn't lead by example (like Teemu does). And I don't think that's the sort of player around which to build a contending team. He's an amazing player, but not really a leader.
My question to that is, who centers our top line? Koivu? Holland? As streaky Getzlaf can be at times, he's still a top 10 center in the league easily, it would probably be one of the worst decisions the franchise could make to trade or let Getz walk.

Getzlaf while may not be captain material from the outside, he was voted captain by his team-mates for a reason so you got to think they are happy with him leading the team and building a team around him.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Trading Getzlaf without getting a legit #1 center back would be committing franchise suicide.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:07 PM
High Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
My question to that is, who centers our top line? Koivu? Holland? As streaky Getzlaf can be at times, he's still a top 10 center in the league easily, it would probably be one of the worst decisions the franchise could make to trade or let Getz walk.

Getzlaf while may not be captain material from the outside, he was voted captain by his team-mates for a reason so you got to think they are happy with him leading the team and building a team around him.
You're right. I guess I forgot that fact. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, I'm not suggesting they trade Getz for scraps. Then again, we have Bob Murray as a GM so if he DID decide to deal him, we might just yield for Joe DiPenta and a bag of hammers.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:09 PM
2faded

Im not buying that his team-mates voted him Captain because they think he's such a great leader. I also dont think he should be captain next season. But, definitely keep him. I doubt that players are sitting there going "who's going to lead us by example and as a result i myself will play better?". I think its probably more along the lines of "whos the best/ most talented/ respected player in the room?". More like, who's the big dog on the team. And just because players respect him or whatever their reason is, doesnt mean he's going to go out on the ice and be a good captain/ leader for his team.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:15 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Trading Getzlaf without getting a legit #1 center back would be committing franchise suicide.
This. I'm more than sick of seeing these trade Getzlaf and trade Hiller posts.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
This. I'm more than sick of seeing these trade Getzlaf and trade Hiller posts.
The seasons already in the toilet who's to say the RPG will be the same next season? The roster needs a shakeup either way

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:29 PM
GreatBear

This has already been a long and horrible season, and there is still much of it to go. While it is tempting to blow things up from an emotional perspective, we really need to make changes from a rational evaluative perspective. I have watched really bad Ducks teams in the past, and it is important for the future years to make all changes on the basis that the change will make the team better, not just because we are frustrated with player X or Y.

My analysis of our current problems is that we had very poor drafting from about 2005 - 2009, and that we traded any decent prospects from those years for short term benefits. It is time to stop that nonsense given how bad we currently are and act for the long term success of the Ducks.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Disagree with blowing it up....

But Hiller needs to be put on medical leave, it's very obvious he's a step behind and his vertigo is not cured

I would definitely shop all our veterans tho, Lydman/Beauch(re-sign in summer)/Visnovsky/Koivu/Blake/Selanne

My position on Teemu is unpopular but he deserves to make the playoffs and he can bring us a first round pick and a good young player in return.

I wouldn't blow up RPG unless someone deseperately overpays....

We need to give Holland, Maroon and Palmieri extended looks here, I wanna see what Clark can do to.

Next year we'll get Schultz but damn trading Gardiner was ****ing stupid

FAIL FOR NAIL

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Disagree with blowing it up....

But Hiller needs to be put on medical leave, it's very obvious he's a step behind and his vertigo is not cured

I would definitely shop all our veterans tho, Lydman/Beauch(re-sign in summer)/Visnovsky/Koivu/Blake/Selanne

My position on Teemu is unpopular but he deserves to make the playoffs and he can bring us a first round pick and a good young player in return.

I wouldn't blow up RPG unless someone deseperately overpays....

We need to give Holland, Maroon and Palmieri extended looks here, I wanna see what Clark can do to.

Next year we'll get Schultz but damn trading Gardiner was ****ing stupid

FAIL FOR NAIL
I haven't seen, or heard, anything to suggest Hiler is struggling with vertigo issues. His problems seem to be related to his confidence. If he were losing track of the puck, or looked slower than normal in the net, then I'd agree with you, but he's not. He's just not making the saves he should be.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote