HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Latvia WJC Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Latgale_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
You make your points well, but tell me, what has changed in these last 20 years, because we have not produced anything of such calibre since late 80's? The coaches are still here, we got more arenas than ever before and more kids playing hockey as well. What's the missing ingredient?
TIME...

I think that's the most important ingredient. Yeah, arenas have been built but it only started in 1998 with Liepāja. And first guys who started to train there were 7 at the time and they'd be born 1991 and now be only 20 years old... and you can see and hear about those brave Liepāja players , most notably Ķēniņš (ZSC Lions, NLA)

You also know Pelšs, the product of Daugavpils arena who will now play in WJC.

It's not enough to build just an arena- you need to train more coaches (or get from other countries- as quality coaches don't grow up at the same speed as new arena), set up all the system, hockey pyramid, get money... also local parents have to have money to be afford to get their children to hockey classes. And all these players that are still at U20 level, those we see... they started to train in 2000 or around that time, before the economic boom in Latvia and other stuff.

And that's why we now see Girgensons and I hope Bukarts too (he's certainly a top talent, have no doubt, nobody has even played, imho, for Latvia U20 at the age of fifteen... and scored, as he recently did in a tournament in Belarus. His time will come)... and that's why 1995 guys are doing so well in Latvian league, playing close games with MHL B teams, from 1996 we also have Egle, Vasilonoks, Locāns, Sprukts... I have no doubt that it will only get better and better.

In Soviet times maybe there was a lack of arenas but there was enough money and clear structure... and young guys also trained hard as sport was the only option to succede and see the world living in the Soviet Union. And I still wouldn't say that we produced oh so many top players... one super class defenseman Ozolins, one forward Balderis and one goalie Irbe... others were good, some better, some worse.

I really think that we only need time, we also need money but let's be real- our economy is in bad shape now and this can also improve with time. And we also have to remember we are a small country and we'll never produce Lemieux or Ovechkins on daily basis... but we certainly can aspire to.

btw, Zemgus back on track, 1+2 and still half of the game to go... that'' what we need

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 12-16-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 06:12 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
btw, Zemgus back on track, 1+2 and still half of the game to go... that'' what we need
Yeah, great game by Girgensons (1G, 2A, +2, 2PIM, 6S) Hopefully he can keep it up.
btw did you simply check the scoreboard or do you know where to find live USHL streams. I'd love to see Zemgus play, especially cause he has so few highlights and videos on YouTube.
Otherwise WJC will be the first chance for me to actually see him play, can't wait.

Old
12-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
Yeah, great game by Girgensons (1G, 2A, +2, 2PIM, 6S) Hopefully he can keep it up.
btw did you simply check the scoreboard or do you know where to find live USHL streams. I'd love to see Zemgus play, especially cause he has so few highlights and videos on YouTube.
Otherwise WJC will be the first chance for me to actually see him play, can't wait.
No, just checked the scoreboard. Haven't seen him play too, except for that one, final U20 game last year vs Belarus but i hope we'll get some live streams from WJC. I'd also like to see how Bļugers, Pelšs, Koļesņikovs have progressed.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:41 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Offtopic: Is every game of the WC televised (and therefore streamed somewhere hopefully)? Would like to have a chance to see all of our games this year.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Offtopic: Is every game of the WC televised (and therefore streamed somewhere hopefully)? Would like to have a chance to see all of our games this year.
All games except Slovakia vs. Latvia, Switzerland vs. Latvia, and Slovakia vs. Switzerland will be on TSN or TSN2.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
ozo

Quote:
Look what Zemgus himself just tweeted.

https://twitter.com/#!/zemgus94/stat...95257496657921

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
All games except Slovakia vs. Latvia, Switzerland vs. Latvia, and Slovakia vs. Switzerland will be on TSN or TSN2.
Thanks for the (disappointing) answer.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:02 PM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Look what Zemgus himself just tweeted.

https://twitter.com/#!/zemgus94/stat...95257496657921
Wow, big thanks for that, it means I should check his twitter page more often. Even though I think that the game wont start at 3:00 but 2:00 Latvian time, but not very certain about it. Definitively going to watch this!!

Quote:
Thanks for the (disappointing) answer.
Of course there will be links where to watch all WJC games. Right now I'm not sure which of the exact stream sites will offer WJC games, but there will be definitively some out there, either Latvian sites or International one's like Atdhe, FirstRow or fromsport.
I'm not that sure but Euro sport might broadcast some WJC games too. Also Latvian channel like LTV7 ought to broadcast Latvian WJC games.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
DrStrangelife

Latvia is going to have pregames quite soon:

20.12.2011. Latvia - Czech Rep.
22.12.2011. Latvia – Denmark

Last edited by DrStrangelife: 12-17-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 06:23 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
uzvara! lol!

Old
12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
uzvara! lol!
against Denmark (I hope)

Old
12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
also Latvian channel like LTV7 ought to broadcast Latvian WJC games.
They've never shown WJC (also when we played there last time) and I don't think they'll broadcast anything this year too. Or maybe I'm wrong and you have some information about that?

Old
12-17-2011, 07:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I know about Zemgus Girgensons, does Latvia have any other potential players, or am I going to be hearing people whine about how Latvia is not a competitive team and shouldn't be allowed in the tournament?

Old
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I know about Zemgus Girgensons, does Latvia have any other potential players, or am I going to be hearing people whine about how Latvia is not a competitive team and shouldn't be allowed in the tournament?
not of that kind of caliber but Pelšs (1992) is drafted and plays in WHL, Koļesņikovs (1992) plays in QMJHL, Bļugers will probably be drafted this year too, we have other guys from top European junior leagues... However, it's hard to say anything about competitiveness. We're playing Russia and Sweden and in these two games we might not be competitive (though we always play well vs Russia in U18 and U20... but always bad vs Sweden ) and I hope we don't lose with a result like 1:10... or like vs Canada in 2010. But in other games I'm sure we can at least have a chance at winning and be competitive.

I'd be glad if we managed not to let in more than, say 6 goals in games vs Sweden and Russia but I still think, at least in one of them, the result will be bigger. But don't expect top 6 finish from us, definitely Although I hope we'll do what we can to stay competitive.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Reynys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
basically this all "not a competitive" rubbish came from 1 game (our first game in elite) against Canada, I just do not see us losing (that) heavily this year, as it looks (at least on paper) a lot better team this year, also it is not our first year in elite.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 615
I think it'll be interesting to see how the Latvian players that are playing with Swedish clubs this season fares against Sweden:

Edgars Klavins - AIK in J20 SuperElit
Krists Kalnins - AIK Härnösand in Division I (i.e. Tier III)
Kristaps Legzdins - Syrianska/Armeniska in Division II (i.e. Tier IV)

Also, I expect the players with MHL experience - mostly from HK Riga - to be familiar with some of the Russian players.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:49 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
They've never shown WJC (also when we played there last time) and I don't think they'll broadcast anything this year too. Or maybe I'm wrong and you have some information about that?
I don't think they will, at least there's nothing about this tournament on their homepage too, I was just hoping that either they or other Latvian channels would show this WJC and also that's why I wrote "ought to broadcast". I just find it weird why Latvian television wouldn't show Latvian WJC games, especially because Latvia has quite a lot of hockey fans, of course less people would be watching compared to the big WC tournament but there still would be people watching.

btw another great game from Zemgus, He scored 2Goals in yesterdays win (5:1) over Black Hawks!!!

Old
12-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post

Kristaps Legzdins - Syrianska/Armeniska in Division II (i.e. Tier IV)
I was surprised that they even took Legzdiņš, but I suppose they also need someone who works hard in defense and fights, skills-wise we could find better options but the team already has four 1994 born forwards and a couple of 93 so experience is welcome. The coach said that he mainly chose those players who worked hard and well in defense as it will (hopefully) be one of the ways how we can win a game or two- with hard work in defense and scoring our chances.

As I said, it's hard to say what this team will be capable of, as even in preparatory games the full roster of consisting even of all our European players was never seen in action... though we did well, for us, in Lida cup winning Denmark and losing to Belarus in OT on their home ice. All our North Americans will be a great addition too, so we'll see.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
ozo

Quote:
I just find it weird why Latvian television wouldn't show Latvian WJC games, especially because Latvia has quite a lot of hockey fans, of course less people would be watching compared to the big WC tournament but there still would be people watching.
They would probably show them if the games wouldn't start at the middle of the night for us.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:08 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
They would probably show them if the games wouldn't start at the middle of the night for us.
maybe next year when Ufa is hosting WJC

Old
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
maybe next year when Ufa is hosting WJC
Perhaps but even last year when we were the favourites, only the final match against Belarus was on LTV. It just seem like LTV dosnt care about juniors unless its something very important, if they wouldnt broadcast us winning every match, doubt they want to broadcast us losing basically every match. Maybe it was just because it was Div.I but I wont hold my breathe for even Elite.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

First cuts were made: Shostaks ('93, D), Tambijev ('92, F), Jelisejev ('94, F), Mezhulis ('92, F) & Birstinsh ('93, F) are out. Two more players will have to leave (to be decided on Dec 23rd).
EP have an up-to-date roster.

Quote:
Actually we have a great schedule, thanks to the fact that we play in Group A: games start either at 00:30 am or at 05:00 am. No stupid 03:00 am starts that ruin the whole night.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:35 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
First cuts were made: Shostaks ('93, D), Tambijev ('92, F), Jelisejev ('94, F), Mezhulis ('92, F) & Birstinsh ('93, F) are out. Two more players will have to leave (to be decided on Dec 23rd).
EP have an up-to-date roster.
Who would you cut? I'd cut Zvirbulis D, and Straupe/Ziemins (F) for the size and age concerns. Or maybe Hvorostinins because I'm scared of the fact that he was cut from the roster after only three games in QMJHL.

Quote:

Actually we have a great schedule, thanks to the fact that we play in Group A: games start either at 00:30 am or at 05:00 am. No stupid 03:00 am starts that ruin the whole night.
To each his own. I probably won't be able to wake up for the 05:00 AM games. I'd rather wait till 03:00 and see atleast a period before hitting the bed.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Glory

You might be able to watch Sweden-Latvia on SVTplay

dunno if it works outside of Sweden, but it's worth a try

Old
12-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Who would you cut? I'd cut Zvirbulis D, and Straupe/Ziemins (F) for the size and age concerns. Or maybe Hvorostinins because I'm scared of the fact that he was cut from the roster after only three games in QMJHL.

To each his own. I probably won't be able to wake up for the 05:00 AM games. I'd rather wait till 03:00 and see atleast a period before hitting the bed.
Can't say that I'm very fond of our C guys: 3 '94 & a 170/67 one. But at least Straupe has the experience. Hvorostins together with Legzdinsh will probably form the backbone of the 4th line (both are 19 and aren't small). So it leaves Zieminsh: he's the only forward from MHL-B (Jevpalov graduated to MHL-A) plus he's one of the smallest and he isn't even '92.

And I agree, Zvirbulis seems to be the odd man out amongst the d-men. Right now we're the shortest team in our group, though the weight seems on par with all teams except Sweden.

Quote:
I can't follow the game by 3 am, zero concentration

Old
12-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Can't say that I'm very fond of our C guys: 3 '94 & a 170/67 one. But at least Straupe has the experience. Hvorostins together with Legzdinsh will probably form the backbone of the 4th line (both are 19 and aren't small). So it leaves Zieminsh: he's the only forward from MHL-B (Jevpalov graduated to MHL-A) plus he's one of the smallest and he isn't even '92.

And I agree, Zvirbulis seems to be the odd man out amongst the d-men. Right now we're the shortest team in our group, though the weight seems on par with all teams except Sweden.

I can't follow the game by 3 am, zero concentration
From D-men, yeah Zvirbulis, it seems, impressed the coach at Lida cup but he might go... From forwards, Ziemiņš seemed an odd choice over Hodzko already... dunno about Straupe but I'm concerned about Legzdins offensive qualities, Kļaviņš played better last year in Swedish Division II as an 18 year old....

Jevpalovs wasn't the one who was transferred to MHL A, he was there from the get go, it was Jeļisējevs who's already cut from roster who was sent to HK Riga during the season and stayed up (and Ziemiņš relegated).

I believe that, regarding offensive qualities, Hvorostinins, Legzdins and Ziemins are the worst of our forwards. Ziemins even hasn't become a clear leader of MHL B team... Maybe he does the not-so-pleasant things better or has better defense, I dunno

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 12-18-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Closed Thread