HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#32: Kings @ RedWings, 12/17/11 - Post Game LOSS thought ... BLARF !

Old
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
The Richards trade would only make sense if he was the FINAL piece to the puzzle.

The puzzle, however, is clearly missing at least 5-6 other pieces. Richards is wasted on this team and the trade should NOT have been made.
Yes, because Richards only has 2 or 3 more good years in him....being 26 and all...

Right?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

as an outsider looking in, DL needs to be relieved of his GM duties.

NOBODY knows how to build a stronger foundation for a team than Dean, but that's just the thing: the foundation has already been put into place.... so now the greatest strength he has as a GM is irrelevant because h now has to start adding other pieces and paying the price.

Dean doesn't seem to take risks and if LA ever gets over the hump then they will need to take risks. Dean Lombardi can be summed up in 4 words: No risk, no reward.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post

NOBODY knows how to build a stronger foundation for a team than Dean, but that's just the thing: the foundation has already been put into place.... so now the greatest strength he has as a GM is irrelevant because h now has to start adding other pieces and paying the price.

Dean doesn't seem to take risks and if LA ever gets over the hump then they will need to take risks. Dean Lombardi can be summed up in 4 words: No risk, no reward.
So, the Penner trade wasn't a risk reward?

Nor the richards?

Old
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Give me some time I can come up with something if work lets me lol
Would appreciate it. I've been trying to research it and not having any luck. I don't want to start throwing only those I remember to make it appear lopsided to support my side of the discussion.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
It isn't taking risks that's the issue, it's acquiring the right players for this team to score goals and being too defensive oriented with his first round draft picks, which has led to the offensive cupboard of NHL ready talent being bare in Manchester. He put the foundation in place and he needs to find the deals that add the right forwards to this club, like Mike Richards. He's found three scoring forwards via trade in five years, one is inconsistent as hell, the other less inconsistent, the other is dynamite. Kind of an issue. In five years you have to find more than one amazing player via trade.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
itstheo54

the kings started the season great.... same players... they are capable of playing lights out and we all know it, hopefully when they get back home Thursday against the ducks will end this nightmare of a road trip.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:56 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Mike Richards says hi you turds!

Take about a blockbuster trade. Fans are still trying to get over the Carter & Richards trades.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Shellz

Quote:

The Richards trade is just that though and if that isn't one. I don't know what is.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
DontgoZiggy

A change of coach ought to sort it out. We have a very talented team, a great core, the boys just need direction. If Sutter comes in and cracks the whip we should be ok. They looked awful today, disorganised and seemed to spend most of the time going backwards. Perhaps if we played a slightyly more intimidating game it might give our skilled guys a bit more space.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Just thought I would repeat that the Kings need to go 30-15-5 to get to 97 points. 0.650 the rest of the season to maybe get a lower seed.

It's going to be interesting to see how the players react to Sutter. I hope to see the Russians back in against Toronto.

11 games under 3 goals. At least it didn't matter tonight.
It's hard to believe that as horrible as the Kings have been of late that they are only three points out of a playoff spot.

I didn't bother watching the game. Last week I told my buddy who was attending the game tonight to be prepared for a bloodbath, but I wasn't expecting anything this bad.

What bothers me most with this team is their attitude. There is not a single player on the roster who has taken ownership of the team. Take Brad Richardson for example. He's been garbage the entire season. When the staff decided to scratch him for a few games then put him back in the lineup, Richardson says that he felt he was playing well before being scratched. Seriously? How about accepting responsibility and trying to play better?

This roster is full of passengers and it is evident that they are mentally fragile. They need a change, and it goes behind just the coaching staff. They need new personnel, ASAP. I wish there was a Mark Recchi or Ray Whitney type of player available, a veteran forward who actually has had success who could provide some leadership. Right now the Kings are a misguided group who are all incapable of playing as a single unit. They're all individuals running around aimlessly with no direction and no defined roles.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I just checked. The Kings are setting the NHL record for the most players gripping their sticks at the same time without let-up for a 10-consecutive game stretch.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:08 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
The Richards trade is just that though and if that isn't one. I don't know what is.
Sorry, but trading for a 26 year old Captain who Captain his team to a Stanley Cup final just a year prior who has Selke caliber defense is hardly a risk.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Sorry, but trading for a 26 year old Captain who Captain his team to a Stanley Cup final just a year prior who has Selke caliber defense is hardly a risk.
Why does it need to be a risk? I don't understand. You said he just sets the foundation or whatever. Aquiring Richards is more than that. It's lets go compete for that cup boys. It's the next move. A lucky one. But, one.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:10 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
LOL I don't think you know what risk/reward means,

It was a risk for LA to trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards, the safe play was to wait for Schenn to develop.

It was a risk for LA to trade for Penner...

Old
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
He takes risks, educated ones, like trading for Williams and Stoll, who both had come off serious injuries (concussion and knee I think) and signing Mitchell (who had a concussion issue)

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Anyone remember the last time this team even had a bag skate? Might have been during the Larry Robinson era. This collective group of losers should voluntarily force themselves to a bag skate session.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL I don't think you know what risk/reward means,

It was a risk for LA to trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards, the safe play was to wait for Schenn to develop.

It was a risk for LA to trade for Penner...
I'm confused by his risk/reward thing to. When you do any trade you're taking a risk. Some obviously big than others.

Does he mean overpay for a UFA? Or hiring a guy like Sutter?

Old
12-18-2011, 12:26 AM
MynameisKing

Before the season began everyone agreed we needed to upgrade our skill level. We did in Richards and Gagne, but I believe in doing so we lost that identity of what made the Kings successful. I wouldn't say that Richards deal was a mistake, but I think the timing of where the Kings were at the developmental standpoint of view was wrong, unfortunately. But, with a player like Richards you have to pull that trigger! It's just bad timing.

To elaborate more, the Kings were still an up and coming team and put the league on notice that we are gunning for the elite teams. Now, whoa! We are here already and don't really know how to handle it. I mean IF, Richards was never available and we went with Schenn and still had Simmonds, and IF the Kings were successful in making into the second round and hanging toe to toe with the elite teams in the playoffs, then I think the Kings would be more better conditioned to handle the expectations because it was met. Obviously the next step shouldn't be as duanting. Another, "IF", the timing was in our favor then the MR trade would be more fitting at that point.

Last edited by MynameisKing: 12-18-2011 at 12:45 AM.
MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheo54 View Post
clifford and maybe richardson can stay. the rest of the bottom 6 need to be moved... and well in retrospect... Philly lost to Boston 6-0 today and the Sabres lost to the Pens 8-3... kinda weird day in the NHL.
Clifford hasn't done jack this year. His job is to demolish people. I miss "crazy" Clifford. I'm about two games away from wanting "lunatic" Nolan jr called up.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Does he mean overpay for a UFA?
Yes, that is what all Philly/Rangers... fans mean when talking about taking risk. Overpay the guy, give him a million more than anyone else, sign him into his 60's and don't forget the NMC. If you really want to be the man, also call some of your biggest GM rivals in the league in the middle of the night and tell them "I dare you steal this guy from me." That's what REAL winning GM's do.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Clifford hasn't done jack this year. His job is to demolish people. I miss "crazy" Clifford. I'm about two games away from wanting "lunatic" Nolan jr called up.
This. If the kid isn't playing with an edge the dude is completely useless. He, like most of the players, are playing uninspired hockey and it's sickening to watch. This team needs a few players with balls that play on the edge. When's the last time anyone has thrown a big f'ing check? When's the last time Westy has started a fight? This team is too f'ing soft.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:39 AM
redcard

Quote:
I'm not really sure what your argument is.

If trading for a 26 year old Captain who Captain his team to a Stanley Cup final just a year prior who has Selke caliber defense is hardly a risk, how does that reflect negatively on the acquiring general manager?

I'll take a GM who can acquire the type of player you described risk-free, over one that potentially compromises the future of a team only to hopefully accomplish the exact same thing. Should Lombardi have parted with more assets for Richards in order to call himself a risk-taker?

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Anyone remember the last time this team even had a bag skate? Might have been during the Larry Robinson era. This collective group of losers should voluntarily force themselves to a bag skate session.
They should be skating right now.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
This. If the kid isn't playing with an edge the dude is completely useless. He, like most of the players, are playing uninspired hockey and it's sickening to watch. This team needs a few players with balls that play on the edge. When's the last time anyone has thrown a big f'ing check? When's the last time Westy has started a fight? This team is too f'ing soft.
Westgarth and Fraser tried all game to start a fight. Didn't work. Their trying to do crazy things, running the goalie and stuff, was the only good thing about tonight's game.

The thing I understand the least right now is why Justin Williams isn't getting into scoring position any more. It's befuddling.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:05 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
They should be skating right now.
Come on Craig. Blow the whistle.