HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Sharks

Old
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post

And as for Hemsky, I thought he played a better game than any of his past 3 or 4, so I can't understand all of the criticism about his game tonight, unless it's some kind of pent up anger over the past few games, and frustration compounding it because of yet another loss. He wasn't part of the problem tonight. Actually, outside of Peckham, I can't think of one player who had a "bad" game. At worst, everybody else was average in my eyes.
Hemsky had probably 8 give aways, 6 of them being brutal.

He's been my favourite player for a long time but he's been nothing short of awful lately.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
Sorry, but they're not. Not this year. And Thornton? Slump. Havlat? Slump.

But that changes when the losers come into town.
They've gone to the conference finals two straight years and actually upgraded their roster in the summer. They're clearly a very good team .

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockey Nightmare

Problem is, when almost the entire D sucks, your options are rather limited.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
plikestechno

Another game, another blown lead.

Our vets have no composure. Whitney, Horcoff, Hemsky and Smyth were embarassingly bad tonight.

I've always been a Peckham hater and tonight doesn't help the cause. I just completely hate that guy and wish we would waive/send him down to the minors already.

And win some battles one on one why don't ya so we don't need two or three guys fishing out the puck all night and not get outmanned all game and can have guys in open space.

Tonight is why we need to spread the kids out and have Hall QB a second line. We need to spread out the danger.

There are 10 guys on this team playing really good hockey right now and it's being ruined by the other 10 idiots. Hard to watch turnover machines like Hemsky and Gagner all night.

Lander needs to go to the A too. Doesn't seem to have the same fire as earlier in the year. Losing doesn't help.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Peckham **** up 1 game ok 2 not good 15 wtf is the coaching thinking. Hemsky whats happened you used to have mojo all the injuries look like they have caught up to you, Gagner getting hard to defend you. Horcoff you're a waste of time. Whitney you looked promising. Potter you need a new spell. Tambo you need to go same old nothing but minor off season aqusitions of players other teams don't want. Its getting really hard to stay positive.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Gagner's hot streak looks to be a thing of the past, Smyth is looking more like the salary dump that Lombardi tried to unload, and Hemsky is playing like he hates the coach and wants out. Whitney is a shell of himself right now, Horcoff has burned out, Belanger looks more and more like a guy that we shouldn't have signed to a 3 year deal, ugh. Time for some trades.

12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Seriously has Hemksy even deked a player out this year?

I used to get excited every time he had the puck with some speed with only 1 dman to beat because he could always make something happen.

Now all he seems to do is wait for his line-mates to join him. He needs to start attacking dmen again.

I firmly believe he will break out but it is tough to watch right now.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
Hemsky had probably 8 give aways, 6 of them being brutal.

He's been my favourite player for a long time but he's been nothing short of awful lately.
Yeah my HTC was a 8 for tonight as well. With how often he truns the puck over I;m going to need to start buying cheaper booze.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
plikestechno

I also forgot to mention that while still making some good plays, Corey Potter made a lot of bad ones tonight as well. Guess that's why he's been in the A forever.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Oil Kings 11 straight

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Two of those brain cramps and the dumb penalty by Peckham are inexcusable and I will add killed the momentum some of the lines generated during the night. Agree with everyone who has mentioned Whitney is really struggling as well. What bothers me the most though guys and gals, the same looks of resignation on the players faces. The team really needs a g.m. who can clean up the mess that is called our defense and try to give some support to the forward units. The kids are not going to learn from these kinds of losses.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:51 PM
cpsman

Thumbs up to:

Hall
Eberle
Jones
Khabibulin

RNH was okay tonight but I wasn't wow-ed like usual.

But as mentioned by others, Whitney and Potter seem to be really struggling after coming back from injury. Peckham, like he often does, is making stupid plays that are costing the oilers.

Hemsky has completely lost it. It is so incredibly frustrating watching him play right now. It seems like he had more tape-to-tape passes to SJS players than oilers tonight. Every time he had a bit of an offensive push, he gave up on the play after something went wrong. It's so upsetting to see him completely BAIL on a play when seeing guys like Hall and Jones go for rebounds, and second and third chances. Not only does he bail, he seems to slowly skate away and forget that there is an actual hockey game going around him. This guy is so gifted with raw talent but seems to have absolutely zero motivation right now.

I have really been waiting for him to get over being put on the second line and get things going, and have been a strong supporter of keeping him in Edmonton long term. But over the last few games, I've started to change my tone and really think that if we can move him we should strongly consider it. This would also open up a roster spot for Paajarvi on the second line (something like Paajarvi-Horcoff-Gagner?) to give him a chance once he is done building up some momentum in OKC.

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Peckham **** up 1 game ok 2 not good 15 wtf is the coaching thinking. Hemsky whats happened you used to have mojo all the injuries look like they have caught up to you, Gagner getting hard to defend you. Horcoff you're a waste of time. Whitney you looked promising. Potter you need a new spell. Tambo you need to go same old nothing but minor off season aqusitions of players other teams don't want. Its getting really hard to stay positive.
We definitely need some changes. Hemsky is a guy that IMO you move at the deadline, but we need to make some moves. I'm also thinking that Smyth's stay here might not be as long as he anticipated. If this is "the real Smyth" then he's only got a year or two left and he should be ready to be a fixture in the bottom 6.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
North

Wow, while a loss is tough, I won't completely moan about it. The Sharks are a vastly better team and the Oilers weren't completely embarrassed.

The players that I'm not happy with:

Hemsky-he needs to be gone yesterday.

Whitney-he has to be injured still, because he has been brutal.

Petry-he seems like he should be in OKC, he looks overwhelmed.

Peckham-he is probably the dumbest d-man we have. Trade him.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I also forgot to mention that while still making some good plays, Corey Potter made a lot of bad ones tonight as well. Guess that's why he's been in the A forever.
IMO his play was already on the decline prior to his injury, that said he's still got some games to show us what he's got before Sutton returns and starts working on his 3rd suspension

Old
Hemskyfanboy83

Does anybody know where our team ranks in shots from our dmen?

I am so sick and tired of a forward making a good pass to the point only to have the dman mess it up and dump it back into the corner again.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Deus

Defense still needs a looooooooot of help. Not sure if Whitney will ever return to his earlier form and Peckham is simply an idiot.

Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Wow, while a loss is tough, I won't completely moan about it. The Sharks are a vastly better team and the Oilers weren't completely embarrassed.

The players that I'm not happy with:

Hemsky-he needs to be gone yesterday.

Whitney-he has to be injured still, because he has been brutal.

Petry-he seems like he should be in OKC, he looks overwhelmed.

Peckham-he is probably the dumbest d-man we have. Trade him.
I didn't mind his game, I missed bits and pieces of the game, but I thought that he was decent.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
We definitely need some changes. Hemsky is a guy that IMO you move at the deadline, but we need to make some moves. I'm also thinking that Smyth's stay here might not be as long as he anticipated. If this is "the real Smyth" then he's only got a year or two left and he should be ready to be a fixture in the bottom 6.
How I am starting to feel RNH Hall Eberle Jones Lander Petrell Smid Gilbert All gamers rest of this squad could care less if all moved out we cant do any worse Imo if they are all shipped out

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Deus

And Hemsky usually turns pucks over but also generates a lot of scoring chances. Right now, he's doing one much more than the other. Hopefully, he picks up his game or he's gone by the deadline.

Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
North

The thing is, Hemsky is really dragging the team down. I understand the idea of maximizing the return by waiting till the deadline, but if we can get a good deal sooner and get rid of him, it will be addition by subtraction. Throw in Peckham too.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
Hall, RNH, Ebs, they're regretting getting picked by us. Sorry guys. Sorry, Klef. Sorry whoever has the misfortune to come next.
You're not a real fan. True fans stick with the team through the good times as well as the bad times.

12-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
look on the bright side... Hall's a beast, Ebs was still effective. RNH still ok.
don't worry, be happy... Tambo see's what we see. He's got to be working the phones

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:03 AM
oilers92

wow 1 line+jones+khabi carried this team all night if they could just get in someone else who plays hard with some skill this team might make it, also the d needs work all of them had some real ****** shifts tonight

hemsky looks uninterested at times out there turns the puck over no hustle to get back nonchalant to the bench all of the time atleast
gagner has some hustle to get back but still hes starting to look just as bad...this team needs a shake up either through a trade or coach change or something last few games have been unacceptable for some tonight would have been no different if not for the aforementioned 1st line, jones and khabi

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:04 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Just took a look at the standings, the Oilers are 24th overall with the Avs and Lightning nipping at their heels. I predict the team will be 26th before Christmas, not far at all from the pace of last year. I was hoping the improvement would show up in points as well at least the pk and pp are much better though.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote