HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Sharks

Old
12-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
The thing is, Hemsky is really dragging the team down. I understand the idea of maximizing the return by waiting till the deadline, but if we can get a good deal sooner and get rid of him, it will be addition by subtraction. Throw in Peckham too.
The question is, if he continues to play the way, 2-2.5 months till trade deadline, will he up his value?

He looks like he really doesn't give a crap right now.

Maybe this club could benefit from a shake up too?

Disappointing loss, but I'm ok if we lose games like this where we tried our ***** off but came up short.

I hate it 100x more when we float for 60 minutes and lose, and we look bewildered at why we lost.

12-18-2011, 01:05 AM
rosemount289

Agreed on............?

Have to agree on all the -ve comments about Hemsky but notice that Ryan Smith has gone dry and Horcoff is even losing all the draws tonite.

Outside of the kids nobody is contributing on the score sheet, outside of Jones!

The Oilers are in a big time funk.................!!!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
You can't throw a player to the ice 2 seconds after they've passed it away. Peckham I believe is tied for the lead league now in minor penalties. For a guy who doesn't really bring much to the game that is unacceptable.
How many times has the same thing been done on an Oilers and not called? I don't buy that.

12-18-2011, 01:07 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
This is all part of the plan. Tank for 18 years and we will have an all star team. We are already in year 3 so that means we only have 15 years left

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Better effort but this 'D' is atrocious. What the hell was Whitney doing on the 2nd goal by the Sharks? I understand he has bad feet but what happened to his brain?

Peckham...well what can we expect from a borderline NHL player.

A waste of a great goaltending performance by Khabby. Jones had his best game as an Oiler.

Apparently Tambo said yesterday that he believes the Oilers have all the pieces in place to make a playoff run.
Looks like he thinks that 6 NHL quality dmen aren't a necessary ingredient for a playoff team. Somebody needs to break the news to him that only 8 teams in the West make the playoffs...not 12.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dopeschemes

First thing to be done is take Hemsky's A and sew it on Jones' Jersey.

dopeschemes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:08 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
You're not a real fan. True fans stick with the team through the good times as well as the bad times.
His frustration is certainly over the top however at least when commenting on others posts try reading your own. It is never the Oilers fault when they lose a game in your eyes which is fine however the reality is certain facts state otherwise. By the way true fans aren't afraid to criticize the team when they deserve it which they have as of late.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:08 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
Thumbs up to:

Hall
Eberle
Jones
Khabibulin

RNH was okay tonight but I wasn't wow-ed like usual.

But as mentioned by others, Whitney and Potter seem to be really struggling after coming back from injury. Peckham, like he often does, is making stupid plays that are costing the oilers.

Hemsky has completely lost it. It is so incredibly frustrating watching him play right now. It seems like he had more tape-to-tape passes to SJS players than oilers tonight. Every time he had a bit of an offensive push, he gave up on the play after something went wrong. It's so upsetting to see him completely BAIL on a play when seeing guys like Hall and Jones go for rebounds, and second and third chances. Not only does he bail, he seems to slowly skate away and forget that there is an actual hockey game going around him. This guy is so gifted with raw talent but seems to have absolutely zero motivation right now.

I have really been waiting for him to get over being put on the second line and get things going, and have been a strong supporter of keeping him in Edmonton long term. But over the last few games, I've started to change my tone and really think that if we can move him we should strongly consider it. This would also open up a roster spot for Paajarvi on the second line (something like Paajarvi-Horcoff-Gagner?) to give him a chance once he is done building up some momentum in OKC.
Forget motivation, dude has the hockey sense of a brick. All that "raw talent" means nothing if you don't know how to use it. Jones doesn't have probably half the talent Hemsky has but at least he knows how to utilize it to the best of his abilities.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:09 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I didn't mind his game, I missed bits and pieces of the game, but I thought that he was decent.
Petry doesn't make the quick decisions he used to make when he first showed up. I swear, this team needs to play the trap haha

At least if they intend to win because thats probably the only way they can Sad that all that talent will go to waste.

Coaching change, at this point, doesn't hurt either

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
How I am starting to feel RNH Hall Eberle Jones Lander Petrell Smid Gilbert All gamers rest of this squad could care less if all moved out we cant do any worse Imo if they are all shipped out
Can't say that I disagree. If Smyth doesn't turn it around I'm not sure that I offer him a contract next year. Are we seeing a revolt against the coaching staff? Hemsky sure seems less than pleased with the coaching staff after his comments about Renney's skates and stick.

12-18-2011, 01:10 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Petry doesn't make the quick decisions he used to make when he first showed up. I swear, this team needs to play the trap haha

At least if they intend to win because thats probably the only way they can Sad that all that talent will go to waste.

Coaching change, at this point, doesn't hurt either
That hasn't worked for any of the teams that have fired their coaches so far this year.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:11 AM
jebs

Hall, Ebs & Jonesy were good.

That is all....

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:11 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Better effort but this 'D' is atrocious. What the hell was Whitney doing on the 2nd goal by the Sharks? I understand he has bad feet but what happened to his brain?

Peckham...well what can we expect from a borderline NHL player.

A waste of a great goaltending performance by Khabby. Jones had his best game as an Oiler.

Apparently Tambo said yesterday that he believes the Oilers have all the pieces in place to make a playoff run.
Looks like he thinks that 6 NHL quality dmen aren't a necessary ingredient for a playoff team. Somebody needs to break the news to him that only 8 teams in the West make the playoffs...not 12.
How dare you bring clarity, unbelievable that Tambellini believes this team resembles one that can honestly challenge for a playoff spot.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:12 AM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
The question is, if he continues to play the way, 2-2.5 months till trade deadline, will he up his value?

He looks like he really doesn't give a crap right now.

Maybe this club could benefit from a shake up too?

Disappointing loss, but I'm ok if we lose games like this where we tried our ***** off but came up short.

I hate it 100x more when we float for 60 minutes and lose, and we look bewildered at why we lost.
I agree completely. Effort is why I'm not totally torn up about this loss.

We can probably get a useful d man if we trade Hemsky.

There has got to be some team out there that values him in the way that the Sens valued Turris. If that deal is out there, they have to make it sooner rather than later.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:13 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
That hasn't worked for any of the teams that have fired their coaches so far this year.
It would be monumentally stupid move by the Oilers.

Instability does not create a winner.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Can't say that I disagree. If Smyth doesn't turn it around I'm not sure that I offer him a contract next year. Are we seeing a revolt against the coaching staff? Hemsky sure seems less than pleased with the coaching staff after his comments about Renney's skates and stick.
I missed that comment BBO, what exactly did he say?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
How many times has the same thing been done on an Oilers and not called? I don't buy that.
What do you not buy, that Peckham is near the top in the league for minor penalties? Come on Narnia even you should be able to see how many times he has hurt this club this year with A a bad penalty or B a brutal giveaway in the third leading to a goal or horrible d coverage.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 168
Quote:

Neither does Tambo.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Another game, another blown lead.

Our vets have no composure. Whitney, Horcoff, Hemsky and Smyth were embarassingly bad tonight.

I've always been a Peckham hater and tonight doesn't help the cause. I just completely hate that guy and wish we would waive/send him down to the minors already.

And win some battles one on one why don't ya so we don't need two or three guys fishing out the puck all night and not get outmanned all game and can have guys in open space.

Tonight is why we need to spread the kids out and have Hall QB a second line. We need to spread out the danger.

There are 10 guys on this team playing really good hockey right now and it's being ruined by the other 10 idiots. Hard to watch turnover machines like Hemsky and Gagner all night.

Lander needs to go to the A too. Doesn't seem to have the same fire as earlier in the year. Losing doesn't help.
This is the kind of nonsense I'm getting fed up with. Whitney wasn't bad. He wasn't last year's Whitney, but he's never been THAT good other than the 25 or so games he had last year. His leg's still not 100% but he wasn't part of the problem tonight. Horcoff wasn't bad either. Smyth actually busted his hump out there. Hemsky was apparently bad, but I caught basically all of the 3rd and about half of the 2nd, as well as 2-3 minutes here and there of the 1st and first half of the 2nd, and I saw him make maybe two bad giveaways. But plenty of good plays and energy as well.

Hall is not a QB PP, and to suggest that he should be is ridiculous. He's not a playmaking, cerebral type, so putting him out there with him as the go-to guy to make plays on the PP wouldn't change much, if anything. He's a crash-and-bang type, who makes dynamic plays and opens up space. He's not the crafty, great puckhandling guy to justify placing him as a PP QB. RNH should be one, Gagner should be the other.

One on one battles are an issue, but those are primarily won with experience, not *just* size or compete level. Though, as far as puck battles go, Omark really excelled at that part of his game last year...could be useful.

Lander is not part of the problem on this team either. He COULD go to the AHL, but I don't think it would change much.

There aren't 10 idiots screwing this team up. It's 3 issues, and I can't believe you'd think anything otherwise:

1- this defense is just full of garbage and/or inexperience. Smid and Gilbert are still playing out of this world, and that's about it. Whitney's clearly still hurt, Petry's up and down but is showing lots to be excited about. He's just being played as a #3 most nights, sometimes #4 and he's not ready for that yet. Potter is at best a #5 d-man in the NHL, and he's coming back from injury. Peckham's just god awful.

2- there is NO chemistry on any of the lines, yet Renney keeps going back to them for some inexplicable reason

3- there is NO line matching going on anymore. I can't understand this for the life of me because I think it was line matching which allowed them the success they had. Perfect example, somehow Pavelski and Thornton (can't remember the third forward) were out on the ice in the offensive zone against Edmonton's 4th line, as well as Peckham and Potter. THAT cannot EVER happen in the 3rd period.

There are a few other issues too, but those three are by far the biggest for me. It's not cuz of 10 guys sucking or something as obvious or simple as that. To be honest, it could just be that the players have tuned out Renney. Sure seems like it sometimes.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:

I agree. If you keep turning your coaches over, you get... well... Calgary.

Renney isn't the best coach out there, I agree... But there are still signs that we are better than last year. Our special teams have been very good so far this year.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
How dare you bring clarity, unbelievable that Tambellini believes this team resembles one that can honestly challenge for a playoff spot.
I honestly can't make sense of half the things that Tambo says.

He must think the majority of Oiler fans are so intoxicated by the koolaid that they actually believe his BS.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
I missed that comment BBO, what exactly did he say?
Yea I am curious 2 but if he is playing badly cause he does not like the coach he has to go regardless. You don't make the team suffer because you don't like the coach.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
Wow, while a loss is tough, I won't completely moan about it. The Sharks are a vastly better team and the Oilers weren't completely embarrassed.

The players that I'm not happy with:

Hemsky-he needs to be gone yesterday.

Whitney-he has to be injured still, because he has been brutal.

Petry-he seems like he should be in OKC, he looks overwhelmed.

Peckham-he is probably the dumbest d-man we have. Trade him.
I think Peaches' biggest problem is that he's being leaned on to be the #3 or 4 d-man on this team, when he's still a rookie and should only be on the bottom pairing with sheltered minutes. Going from a #3 d-man to the AHL is a big step and his play hasn't been THAT bad, certainly not bad enough to warrant a demotion to the A.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Fail.

Keep feeding the fanbase that "we're good enough; this defence is good enough," rhetoic, Tambo. We've given you a lot of rope. A LOT. Eventually the propaganda and "hope" vibes are going to stop working and the fans are going to get hostile.

And I'd bet on that happening opposed to the Oilers turning a corner. Unfortunately.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

Gagner is in his fifth season and has had 3 coaches during that time. How is a player supposed to improve with the constant coaches changes. I'm beginning to think that Edmonton is a coaches' graveyard.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote