HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#32: Kings @ RedWings, 12/17/11 - Post Game LOSS thought ... BLARF !

Old
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
I hope this is rock bottom. They looked like an ECHL team tonight.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:16 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Why does it need to be a risk? I don't understand. You said he just sets the foundation or whatever. Aquiring Richards is more than that. It's lets go compete for that cup boys. It's the next move. A lucky one. But, one.
Well you see, because doofy Homer went on HBO's 24/7 and told him so.

Homer said something like you have to take risks, we don't know if it will be a better team or a worse team, but it will be a different team. That's f'ing brilliant right there. I guess high risk means you go out and sign a 31-year old goalie to an expensive 9-year deal. That's good management?

Who will they blame in Philadelphia this off season?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:17 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Penner, Stoll and Williams were +2!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Westgarth and Fraser tried all game to start a fight. Didn't work. Their trying to do crazy things, running the goalie and stuff, was the only good thing about tonight's game.

The thing I understand the least right now is why Justin Williams isn't getting into scoring position any more. It's befuddling.
Gotta agree. Was ok with Westy and Fraser going goon style. But Clifford shoulda been in it too.

Remember when Clifford used to eff people up and have that sick smile?

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Well, we were a better defensive team than Detroit, before this game was played...

I liked the post game interviews, but it means nothing if it isn't acted upon. Sutter can't come soon enough. We just need something, anything different.

Not much to say. That was the worst game of the season. Like your wounds and prepare for the next game.

Lombardi is quickly finding himself right back into the same spot he was in in San Jose. We have to turn it around soon or else the playoffs wind up a pipe dream. The only comfort we have right now is that someone eventually should be able to do something with this roster and prospect depth... Here's hoping...

Onto the next game, GO KINGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Penner, Stoll and Williams were +2!
Wow, that's pretty remarkable.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I liked the post game interviews, but it means nothing if it isn't acted upon.
I'm starting to hate those interviews, they are just useless words. They know what to say but it doesn't mean anything to them.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:40 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I'm starting to hate those interviews, they are just useless words. They know what to say but it doesn't mean anything to them.
Yep. Same old questions and same old *yawn* answers.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
I dunno, I liked brown's quotes. He was obviously angry and swearing (even if he only said ass) and I think that's probably the message he should be sending right now: "get your **** together kings."

That said (judging from the stats - I didn't get to watch tonight, but I believe he was -3), it's not like brown played amazing. Leading by example would be good. I still love brownie though, and I don't really agree with people saying that he shouldnt have the C.

In any case, hope Sutter wakes these guys up.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Yep. Same old questions and same old *yawn* answers.
They stole a lot of Dean's buzzwords, no doubt from his meetings with them recently, but I think you could tell that they are starting to reach a new level of frustration. Brown is starting to point at players almost individually and Scuderi was about as spot on as you could get.

At the very least, you still get a feeling that the locker room cares. They aren't millionaires mailing it in, they aren't shrugging it off, there is a small sense of accountability and players feeling responsible. It is convenient to come up now, but doesn't seem ungenuine.

But, as I said, won't mean a thing unless acted upon. Same effort, same results, but the rhetoric is starting to change and the drillmaster is on his way.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Face Wash

It's games like this one that make me feel like Dean Lombardi has wasted 6 years of my hockey fan life. I've never seen a team give up the way the Kings did tonight. Jack Johnson's worst game of his life in his hometown no less.

Usually it's easy to forget games like this one... I hope this team doesn't... because when Daryl Sutter is riding these guys day in and day out, over and over, harder and harder... bag skates, benchings, verbal attacks in the media... They can look at this segment of their season and this loss and realize how much they earned this coaching hire.

Yeah yeah, the goaltending was embarrassing... it's a lot of the reason the team lost, but it was bound to happen... the pressure of having to stop EVERYTHING just to keep your team in it, night in and night out is too much to bear. I refuse to blame the goalies.

I don't think this team needs to be blown up, but there needs to be some trades as well. This is Deano's last stand. Sutter deal works or it's time for the organization to move on from this.

Last edited by Face Wash: 12-18-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:39 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I hope this is rock bottom. They looked like an ECHL team tonight.
You kidding, more like pee wee. You, me and 18 of our friends might have had a chance tonight.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
They stole a lot of Dean's buzzwords, no doubt from his meetings with them recently, but I think you could tell that they are starting to reach a new level of frustration. Brown is starting to point at players almost individually and Scuderi was about as spot on as you could get.

At the very least, you still get a feeling that the locker room cares. They aren't millionaires mailing it in, they aren't shrugging it off, there is a small sense of accountability and players feeling responsible. It is convenient to come up now, but doesn't seem ungenuine.

But, as I said, won't mean a thing unless acted upon. Same effort, same results, but the rhetoric is starting to change and the drillmaster is on his way.
Seriously. Some poignant post game comments.

I think people are going to start getting singled out and packing their bags. Cause comments like this are as to the point as you can be without naming names

"We got our ***** kicked"

"it's time for everyone in this room to wake up."

"I hope it doesn't take a game like this to open eyes. How about the last three weeks?"

"I'm thinking about what my responsibility is on the ice. I don't know, maybe we don't have enough guys who are doing that."

This locker room is ****. Straight up, giant, steaming, ****. Something has to give.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Man, that was ugly.

Penner looked good again tonight. Its nice to see him stringing together some solid games.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:14 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:25 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
To much to type on phone. Penner comes to mind first off. Now that I think about it It's more of signings and resigns. I would love to see a list of transactions he has made and how many have actually been good. Richards obviously was good. Were there any others?
Seriously? Where to start...

Mitchell, Scuderi, Gagne... Pretty good signings.

For re-signings how about Kopitar, Brown, and Johnson?

Lombardi is not the problem.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:31 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL I don't think you know what risk/reward means,

It was a risk for LA to trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards, the safe play was to wait for Schenn to develop.
I disagree 100%.

Richards is a sure thing. Trading for him was definitely the safe move.

Waiting for Schenn to develop is the risk. He may bust. He may turn into another Jared Aulin with his injury issues.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:54 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Hopefully this is the kind of game that lights a fire under the players' *****. For the rest of this stretch they were hanging in games, seeing bounces not going their way, and getting bailed out sometimes by Quick and Bernier, but now they got straight up embarrassed.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:49 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL I don't think you know what risk/reward means,

It was a risk for LA to trade Schenn and Simmonds for Richards, the safe play was to wait for Schenn to develop.

It was a risk for LA to trade for Penner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I disagree 100%.

Waiting for Schenn to develop is the risk. He may bust. He may turn into another Jared Aulin with his injury issues.
Interesting. It's really both. You're getting a sure thing, but the variables involved(changing the chemistry of the team, increasing expectations, etc) in making the deal make it risky as well. Perfect example of potential paralysis by analysis though.

30+ games in, and Drewiske has half as many goals as Williams, and as many as Doughty and Penner. Not something that could've, would've, or should've been predicted.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Richards is wasted on this team and the trade should NOT have been made.
Thanks for the laughs

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:53 AM
MsWoof

Dean did the right thing by getting Richards. The problem is, where are Kopitar and Gagne? Aren't these guys supposed to score? There is a definite lack of talent in some players but there is a hell of a lot of under-achieving going on, too.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

I just want to say one thing... I don't know what BLARF is, but it is a perfect description of what happened last night in Detroit.

It was so bad that none of my Red Wings fan friends (and I have a bunch of friends in MI) gave me a hard time about it. They genuinely feel bad for me right now

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:37 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Westgarth and Fraser tried all game to start a fight. Didn't work. Their trying to do crazy things, running the goalie and stuff, was the only good thing about tonight's game.

The thing I understand the least right now is why Justin Williams isn't getting into scoring position any more. It's befuddling.
He did have assists on both goals, so it wasn't like he wasn't involved.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:58 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I disagree 100%.

Agree,

But Richards might have turned into party boy central if you believe half the rumours, he has concussion now, god forbid he turns into a pronger and is gone...etc, risk is still there...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
Thanks for the laughs
If you really want laughs, consider that Philly traded both Richards and Carter and are sitting atop the eastern conference standing now while LA and Columbus are 11th and 15th in the west.

Who's really laughing?

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:33 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
But Richards might have turned into party boy central if you believe half the rumours, he has concussion now, god forbid he turns into a pronger and is gone...etc, risk is still there...
Party boy central, reallY???Oh, right because God knows anything posted on the internet is true , right???

IF you've watched him play for the 24 games prior to the injury (not diagnosed as a concussion by the way.) He has been the most consistent forward on the team, producing on a regular basis, a real leader, defending his teammates when they've been run, tossed 'em down on Ott, clutch goals (7 of the 9 during his 9 goals in 10 games were game tying or game winnign)_ He's done everything the Kings could have wanted and more. The fact they've gone 1-6 without him is not a coincidence. He's the most valuable asset on this team and is shows. Where do you think they'd be in the standings without him this year?

He was working out three days after geting hurt, you don't do that with a concussion. The Boston announcers stated during their broadcast that it was a shoulder injury , it might be, for all we konw. He could have whiplash...even.

He skated full out Saturday and pushed it for over an hour , which is a good sign. He said he intends to keep on doing that, so this week, maybe the red jersey is lifted and he goes into reg. practice end of the wekk
Tim Lieweke stated the day after the injury that Richards would be back by Xmas, and so far that 's the path that looks to be taken.

It's 100% NOT what Pronger has, which is an occular concussion and very serious, most likely career ending. He was diagnosed and is out for the rest of the year, including playoffs.
Poor comparison, actually no comparison at all

And Schenn?? Having seen every Flyers game this year, from the 1st preseaon game against Toronto, has been terribly unimpressive. he's okay in the offensive zone ,has energy and grit, willing to go into the corners etc. But he's awful in teh D Zone, no confidence with the puck ,makes poor decisions and is out of poistion frequently. He is not positional sound on that side of the puck and has not looked NHl ready.
The other 2 rookies ,Read and Cotourier have outplayed him in every way possible from the first preseaon game in Toronto forward.

He'll never be Mike Richards...He might be a good socring center, put up 30 goals, but he's not the Defenseive Beast Richards is and was at that age. That's instict and anticipation and Hockey IQ, are a skll and you either have or you don't, you can't learn them.

To paraphrase one of the NHL scouts who saw both play in juniors, Richards was a complete player, he didn't see that in Schenn. Stated Richards was far better defensively, a better skater, a lot smarter and 'Schenn will never strike fear in the heart of anyone chasing them down the ice after a puck. Richards has a mean strieak in him a mile wide , and nobody lkiked playing against him then, like now because of that big dose of nasty.'

The Flyers are in the hunt for skilled D man and don't be surprised if they flip Schenn as part of that. Right now, he's a fourth line center and with Giroux and Couturier in front of him, and Briere,too. Schenn, that's where he'll be next year too.

Last edited by deeshamrock: 12-18-2011 at 09:38 AM.
deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote