HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another chance for our favourite Alaskan?

Old
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Another chance for our favourite Alaskan?

Maybe our 7.3 Million dollar man, Scott Gomez, will find a new wind under Cunneyworth? He was playing Jacques system to a tee, just not producing anything. Maybe a more puck-possession team would benefit his soft hands and chemistry with Gionta?

I'm as big a hater on Gomez as possible but this could be a very good silver lining! (It'll raise his value at the very least!)

Anyone willing to offer any thoughts?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
jamz

He can't get any worse...

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
jamz

*knocks on wood*

Old
12-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Koivu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
He can't get any worse...
that's what was said after last season

Koivu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'll give him a chance.. to retire. Otherwise I'm going to call 911.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
At this point you hope for anything from Gomez.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:26 AM
3hirty6ix

Most expensive 4th line center ever? He's behind Plekanec/Desharnais/Eller on my depth chart.

3hirty6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:27 AM
OneSharpMarble

This should be his last chance. Try or goodbye.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:28 AM
jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
Most expensive 4th line center ever? He's behind Plekanec/Desharnais/Eller on my depth chart.
Chris Drury.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Live Forever

The thing with Gomez is that he is not injured! There won't be a second chance any time soon. An ex-girlfriend of a current habs player has informed me that she still keeps in contact with a few players on the team. One of whom informed her that Gomez has been healthy for a while now however the organization has told him that there isn't room for him on the team at the moment. The organization has informed Gomez that sending him down to Hamilton would not be in their plans because they don't intend on disrespecting him, however they don't want him playing for the Habs at the moment. The team said they would inform the media that he has a lingering injury so that no attention is brought to him.

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:40 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
The thing with Gomez is that he is not injured!nThere won't be a second chance any time soon. An ex-girlfriend of a current habs player has informed me that she still keeps in contact with a few players on the team. One of whom informed her that Gomez has been healthy for a while now however the organization has told him that there isn't room for him on the team at the moment. The organization has informed Gomez that sending him down to Hamilton would not be in their plans either however they don't want him playing for the Habs at the moment. The team said they would inform the media that he has a lingering injury so that no attention is brought to him.
I believe you, but just a note, give the mods your source so you can be trusted

I'm willing to bet Gomez' lingering injury is going to disappear, and disappear soon. Jacques just did not know how to deal with him. Not to say I'm a fan at all, I think Gomez is a lazy sad-sack of a player who is exhibit a of what a bloated "retirement" contract results in, but he HAS GOT TO BE BETTER THAN 4 points in 20 games.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Live Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I believe you, but just a note, give the mods your source so you can be trusted

I'm willing to bet Gomez' lingering injury is going to disappear, and disappear soon. Jacques just did not know how to deal with him. Not to say I'm a fan at all, I think Gomez is a lazy sad-sack of a player who is exhibit a of what a bloated "retirement" contract results in, but he HAS GOT TO BE BETTER THAN 4 points in 20 games.
No no, this has nothing to do with Martin. Gomez's "injury" is an organizational decision. People above Martin had decided to pull the plug on Gomez for the time being. He has been healthy for some time now. In other words, he is a healthy scratch...But how can you get away with advising an entire province/fan base that your 7.3 million dollar player is a healthy scratch? Easy solution, cover it up with an "injury".

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:50 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Chris Drury.
Doesn't he have a slightly higher salary than Drury tho? I think Drury's better suited to be a 4th liner too and he's a better goal scorer

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Maybe our 7.3 Million dollar man, Scott Gomez, will find a new wind under Cunneyworth? He was playing Jacques system to a tee, just not producing anything. Maybe a more puck-possession team would benefit his soft hands and chemistry with Gionta?

I'm as big a hater on Gomez as possible but this could be a very good silver lining! (It'll raise his value at the very least!)

Interesting question. Is Gomez a remnant of the past or a project for the future.

I didn't see much of an improvement after Gomez recognized his own poor performance last year and committed to improving this year.

It's up to him not Cunneyworth or anyone else.

Edit: Re: subject, I don't know many Alaskans but Sarah Pahlin is still my favourite

Last edited by Agnostic: 12-18-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Pleky Roks

Listen....people can say what they like about Scott Gomez...but at least when he plays, he puts in an honest effort on the ice and works hard to create chances. Yes he has an awful contract and yes he doesn't have many points or even a goal scored....but I've see more effort and heart out of Gomez in 1 shift than I have seen from Cammalleri all season!!!

This Jacques Martin firing was a bad mistake....Martin was NOT the problem with the Habs!!! The man is an excellent veteran coach who has been able to coach the Habs to the ECF 2 seasons ago and he's managed to get wins this season despite a depleted lineup and with guys like Cammalleri giving the puck away everytime he touches it.

As far as I'm concerned....we need Gomez back in the lineup ASAP!! We need his heart and determination in our lineup to hopefully wake guys like Cammalleri up and show them what playing hard is all about.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:56 AM
jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Doesn't he have a slightly higher salary than Drury tho? I think Drury's better suited to be a 4th liner too and he's a better goal scorer
Last year Chris Drury made 8M$ to center the Rangers' 4th line for most of the season. Last offseason he's been bought out and then he retired.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:03 AM
habtastic

gomez hasn't really been bad this season. the goal SCORERS have been atrocious. He (and pleks and DD) can set up guys in perfect positions, but they will fan on the shot, not take a shot, shoot into the chest of the goalie or find some way of screwing it up. Whenever the other team gets the analogous chance, they bury it most of the time. That is our biggest problem. Finishing. The losing distracts from that, but really if there was some way to improve that, it would win games. When Eller scored today, I was certain things were turning. then...campoli's inexcusable brainfart followed by back to inability to finish.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Habs13

I'd rather not. Give that chance to a player that DESERVES it like Eller and/or Desharnais.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The system doesnt really change all that much. Cunneyworth might make some minor adjustments but he is a Martin disciple.

This move imo is an attempt to light a fire under the players' ***** rather than a philosophy change. Its a hope that a new voice registers with the players.

I dont think Gomez is going to have any big resurrection because of this.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
gomez hasn't really been bad this season. the goal SCORERS have been atrocious. He (and pleks and DD) can set up guys in perfect positions, but they will fan on the shot, not take a shot, shoot into the chest of the goalie or find some way of screwing it up. .
you obviously don't realize that we have 3 players on pace for 30 goals this year (Kost, MaxPac, Cole)...

last year we had Gionta @ 29 as our leading goal scorer.

i think sometimes people fail to realize that every team in the league, in every game of the season, has at least a few "golden opportunities" that don't get put in the net.

if anything, it's that we are losing that amplifies the perception that we can't convert.

we have 6 players with 20+ shots who are shooting @ 10% or better

Bruins- 6
Flyers- 8
Wild- 7
SJ- 6
Detroit- 9
Ottawa (who is top-5 in league for GF) - 7

or looking at it another way...

we're 18th in the league in shots/game, and 20th in the league in goals/game.

while not ideal, that's not reflective of a team that is particularly struggling with converting chances i would think.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:06 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you obviously don't realize that we have 3 players on pace for 30 goals this year (Kost, MaxPac, Cole)...

last year we had Gionta @ 29 as our leading goal scorer.

i think sometimes people fail to realize that every team in the league, in every game of the season, has at least a few "golden opportunities" that don't get put in the net.

if anything, it's that we are losing that amplifies the perception that we can't convert.

we have 6 players with 20+ shots who are shooting @ 10% or better

Bruins- 6
Flyers- 8
Wild- 7
SJ- 6
Detroit- 9
Ottawa (who is top-5 in league for GF) - 7

or looking at it another way...

we're 18th in the league in shots/game, and 20th in the league in goals/game.

while not ideal, that's not reflective of a team that is particularly struggling with converting chances i would think.
So what if they have that many goals? They should have more based on the chances they get! It can't (and it isn't) just me who cringes every time someone misses a GOLDEN chance to score, created by the playmaker on the line. It happens WAY too often. The Leblanc pass to Eller and then goal. THAT is the type of stuff we need. Gomez hasn't even played that much this year and from what I recall he was setting up Gio a LOT. The stat that you posted can honestly be attributed mostly to Eric Cole and Andrei Kostitsyn who basically do it all by themselves. Oh and Nokes. His % must be high. I dunno what stat to support that I see us missing gimmes all the time and at the most crucial moments. Overall I think Gomez has been setting up his wingers decently.

Id also say Patches is doing great in goals, but the amount that DD sets him up is ridiculous, he should have twice as many. Just sayin, DD is a great center.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:01 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
So what if they have that many goals? They should have more based on the chances they get! It can't (and it isn't) just me who cringes every time someone misses a GOLDEN chance to score, created by the playmaker on the line. It happens WAY too often. The Leblanc pass to Eller and then goal. THAT is the type of stuff we need. Gomez hasn't even played that much this year and from what I recall he was setting up Gio a LOT. The stat that you posted can honestly be attributed mostly to Eric Cole and Andrei Kostitsyn who basically do it all by themselves. Oh and Nokes. His % must be high. I dunno what stat to support that I see us missing gimmes all the time and at the most crucial moments. Overall I think Gomez has been setting up his wingers decently.

Id also say Patches is doing great in goals, but the amount that DD sets him up is ridiculous, he should have twice as many. Just sayin, DD is a great center.
just like the fallacy that a top 3 guy should have 70 points, i see that the 'it only happens to us' fallacy is alive and well.

is this post from last year? gomez? man, he hasn't even played in 3 weeks...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:17 AM
AllanMTL46

Last chance Gomer. It's do or die.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I just hope he comes back soon...I know injuries are part of the game, but it's a pain in the butt to be minus 4-6 players every game. We have been missing both quantity and quality this year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Through the looking glass...Hamilton... We all can envision it!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote