HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

vCash: 500
iirc when Kyle was brought up as a rookie there were simply no other centers in the system that were even close to being NHL ready and none to be had by trade. The next year they were able to get Bergeron and that gave Turris the year to develop in the AHL. The team boxed themselves into a corner and had no choice but to play this skinny teenager.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Rediscoveryx

For those who haven't seen it (compilation from his last season in the SEL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gGQUcVItc

...and part 2 from the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igE_H2ZZFU

Old
12-18-2011, 04:35 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/podcastp...id=DL|PHX|home

Phone interview with out newest dman.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
I'd say we have a very, very over abundance of dmen

Yandle/OEL/Aucoin/Klesla/Schlemko/Summers/Demo/Rozy/Rundblad

According to my count that is 9 d, and only 6 spots to play them, so I'm expecting somewhere down the line that we can package 2 of them for an upgrade for Chipchura.
It's possible but I dont see anything too dramatic. As mentioned Rozsival and Aucoin are UFA's which leaves as a veteran core:

Yandle/Klesla/Morris/OEL

plus rookies in Schlemko/Summers/Rundblad/Gormley

That seems about right to me, they always talk about how defensemen get banged up more and they need the depth, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:41 AM
DesertDawg

IMO,
GMDM forced this trade, good return but does not help the Coyotes immediately. Turris was wasting a roster spot. I've said in the past that I would like an Oliver & David pairing and very surprise that the deal happen and a 2nd in a deep draft was included. Maloney was searching for a center but there was none available at the moment. As far as Brassard, it would make more sense for the BJ's to trade him for a d'man.
Wouldn't surprise me if Maloney is working the phones to move a d'man for forward help. I'm guessing that the Panthers have interest in Morris (for Samuelsson?).

Old
12-18-2011, 06:47 AM
XX
... Waiting

Rundblad, Yandle, OEL, Gormley, Murphy...

Playfair

Good god.

Imagine my surprise when I logged on to NHL.com to check the score tonight (hadn't been on all day) and saw under scratches "D. Rundblad"

The 2nd just puts an exclamation point on GMDM being amazing.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Bumblebeenineteen

This is the correct pronounciation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxq5Mm2qa2A

Old
12-18-2011, 08:36 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediscoveryx View Post
For those who haven't seen it (compilation from his last season in the SEL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gGQUcVItc

...and part 2 from the playoffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igE_H2ZZFU
Weird. I thought he was a defenseman, but he was awfully deep in every highlight.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:49 AM
87turbobuick

Why does Maloney get a pass while people talk about the good deal he got? Lest we forget that he drafted this guy with the 3rd overall pick and now has traded him for a unproven player who unless his game improves dramatically will be in the minors or sitting in the press box. I give him credit for getting some assets but we need goaltending and scoring. Maybe these two chips will be moved for some help.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:03 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Weird. I thought he was a defenseman, but he was awfully deep in every highlight.
I was thinking maybe we should move him to center! He's either going to be a star or those guys he was playing against were really bad.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I was thinking maybe we should move him to center! He's either going to be a star or those guys he was playing against were really bad.
He's got a ton of talent, and depending on who you talk to, the SEL is either the second or third best league in the world. But with a much larger rink, it's a different game over there, and so it remains to be seen how Rundblad's skills project into the North American game.

Given the depth the Coyotes have right now, I'd be fine letting him spend the rest of the year in the AHL, with maybe the occasional spot callup so he can work with Playfair a bit.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
Why does Maloney get a pass while people talk about the good deal he got? Lest we forget that he drafted this guy with the 3rd overall pick and now has traded him for a unproven player who unless his game improves dramatically will be in the minors or sitting in the press box. I give him credit for getting some assets but we need goaltending and scoring. Maybe these two chips will be moved for some help.
To be fair, Maloney was appointed GM only 21 days before that draft when Wayne Gretzky TM was still swaggering around the place.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87turbobuick View Post
Mainly because he's already fired our Director of Scouting from that draft.

Turris was a consensus top 3 selection. Maloney did partially screw up his development though but at some point there has to be something said about ability and desire. Personally, I see Turris as a player who is one more bad year away from playing in Europe. I just didn't see the creativity to play effectively at center. We saw more from 5 games from Miele on creating offensive chances than we did from Turris over the course of the last 3 years.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Volt

vCash: 283
As a Sens fan I gotta say you guys definitely won this trade and I hope (also believe) that DR7 will be a force for you guys in 2-3 years. I will continue to follow his career and root for him (as well your teams future D looks godly).

Old
12-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Hopefully we can actually get something with that 2nd this time. I don't think Ottawa is a playoff team and this draft is really deep. Hopefully, our scouts can resist the urge to go off the wall like they have been lately with our late 1sts and 2nds. Our prospect pool desperately needs some offensive talent.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Maloney press conference.

http://chirb.it/O9qM2C
I don't know if he's the best GM in hockey, but I think he's the best GM for our club. So honest but not a dick. Very straight shooter, funny, likeable and genuinely seems to take the players life and family concerns into consideration. He's got a solid plan that he's executed well and when bumps in the road come along, he's patient and makes the best of bad situations. Remember the Olli Jokinen problem in the locker room? Gormley and Lombardi.

He got an excellent return. If you look broadly at what people were saying Turris would get, either fans were way off base or Maloney trade-***** Murray. Go read the two old threads in the trade section on Turris. If you had said Rundblad and a second you would have been laughed off the board.

Although I'm glad they addressed the need for a RHD, I hope they give Rundblad some games in Portland. There's no need for him to be up here yet. We've had some problems developing in the past and it's clear he has some defensive zone issues to work on. We can afford to be patient at this time, so let's do it.

I'm still in favor of moving Klesla for Brassard. But I'm kind of eager to see what Miele's learned from his 20 games in the AHL. He was fun to watch in his 5 games up, even though he didn't score. He's creative to say the least. I'd rather see him now then if/when he hits the wall like NCAA players are wont to do in the rookie season.

We're going to have a LOT of young guys on the D next year and I wonder how Tippett feels about that. Look at the ages of the guys who are in the mix. Yandle, OEL, Summers, Schlemko, Gormley, Rundblad, Goncharov. Could we go with those 7 guys if we moved DeMo and Rusty and still be successful? Crazy depth on D. I like it. I hope it stays in the Valley.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:13 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I don't know if he's the best GM in hockey, but I think he's the best GM for our club. So honest but not a dick. Very straight shooter, funny, likeable and genuinely seems to take the players life and family concerns into consideration. He's got a solid plan that he's executed well and when bumps in the road come along, he's patient and makes the best of bad situations. Remember the Olli Jokinen problem in the locker room? Gormley and Lombardi.

He got an excellent return. If you look broadly at what people were saying Turris would get, either fans were way off base or Maloney trade-***** Murray. Go read the two old threads in the trade section on Turris. If you had said Rundblad and a second you would have been laughed off the board.

Although I'm glad they addressed the need for a RHD, I hope they give Rundblad some games in Portland. There's no need for him to be up here yet. We've had some problems developing in the past and it's clear he has some defensive zone issues to work on. We can afford to be patient at this time, so let's do it.

I'm still in favor of moving Klesla for Brassard. But I'm kind of eager to see what Miele's learned from his 20 games in the AHL. He was fun to watch in his 5 games up, even though he didn't score. He's creative to say the least. I'd rather see him now then if/when he hits the wall like NCAA players are wont to do in the rookie season.

We're going to have a LOT of young guys on the D next year and I wonder how Tippett feels about that. Look at the ages of the guys who are in the mix. Yandle, OEL, Summers, Schlemko, Gormley, Rundblad, Goncharov. Could we go with those 7 guys if we moved DeMo and Rusty and still be successful? Crazy depth on D. I like it. I hope it stays in the Valley.
I honestly think we could deal Schlemko for Brassard. Might need to include a pick but Columbus is up against the cap but Brassard also has 2 more years at $3 million left.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I honestly think we could deal Schlemko for Brassard. Might need to include a pick but Columbus is up against the cap but Brassard also has 2 more years at $3 million left.
I don't think we have the budget to pull that move off right now. Maybe if we find a way to move Rozy sooner than later?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I don't think we have the budget to pull that move off right now. Maybe if we find a way to move Rozy sooner than later?
Rozy to Philli as a stop gap for Pronger?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Rozy to Philli as a stop gap for Pronger?
The Flyers are looking for a top defender and are going to pay a premium. Yandle would be the big piece the Flyers would want from Phoenix. They are kicking tires on Weber and or Suter first then taking it from there.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:32 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
The Flyers are looking for a top defender and are going to pay a premium. Yandle would be the big piece the Flyers would want from Phoenix. They are kicking tires on Weber and or Suter first then taking it from there.
If Nashville is anywhere close to the playoffs (and they likely will be) they won't deal either player. At least one of them will re-sign.

Yandle is a non-starter of a conversation.

Pronger may try to come back as well and with a new CBA could come a rollback in the cap which could quickly put Philli back into cap hell. Rozsival's UFA status at the end of the year might offer flexibility for the Flyers that they might find desirable. The cap hit is high though (salary is much lower than cap hit) which is negative. I don't think Phoenix would be looking for much more than a draft pick and maybe a salary (to improve the value of the pick).

Old
12-18-2011, 01:41 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Given the depth the Coyotes have right now, I'd be fine letting him spend the rest of the year in the AHL, with maybe the occasional spot callup so he can work with Playfair a bit.
I'd like to see if he can help our PP before he goes down.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:42 PM
hbk

I'd let Playfair have a few practice sessions with him. Guy appears to be a miracle worker.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
If Nashville is anywhere close to the playoffs (and they likely will be) they won't deal either player. At least one of them will re-sign.

Yandle is a non-starter of a conversation.

Pronger may try to come back as well and with a new CBA could come a rollback in the cap which could quickly put Philli back into cap hell. Rozsival's UFA status at the end of the year might offer flexibility for the Flyers that they might find desirable. The cap hit is high though (salary is much lower than cap hit) which is negative. I don't think Phoenix would be looking for much more than a draft pick and maybe a salary (to improve the value of the pick).
I agree with you that Nashville will be hardpressed to deal one of their big 2 but if they feel they can't resign one of them, Poile is not a fool and will at least listen to offers. It will all come down to what the Flyers would be willing to offer. If the Predators could turn a pending UFA into a package of great assets, they are not stupid. But I agree it would take a lot to get anything done here.

Why is Yandle a non-starter for conversation? He's far from Nicklas Lidstrom here. Every player has a price and Maloney would be a fool to not even listen to offers.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
AndrewYotes

GMDM wants Yandle to be a franchise player. I think a lot of yotes fans expect him to be the next Captain Coyote after Doan retires. It would have to be a very good return.

Closed Thread