HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The first thing I would like to see Darryl Sutter do

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
  #1
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream
 
THEKingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
The first thing I would like to see Darryl Sutter do

A buddy of mine planted this idea in my head and I think it's a great one...

Sutter is slated to take over on Tuesday IIRC, and the Kings are in TO on Monday, presumably flying home right after the game.

Scenario... plane lands at LAX, players get on the bus. DS gets on the bus and tells the players "Grab your phones, call whoever is waiting for you and tell them you will be a little late getting home. We have work to do."

Bus takes team to TSC for a good 2-hour+ practice, then home for a nap and back for the regular morning practice.

No, I don't think it would happen (and if it did I could somehow see Donald Fehr having something to say about it) but what a wake-up call that would be.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:43 AM
  #2
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Some great pictures from the Royal Half:








http://www.theroyalhalf.com/

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
  #3
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
A buddy of mine planted this idea in my head and I think it's a great one...

Sutter is slated to take over on Tuesday IIRC, and the Kings are in TO on Monday, presumably flying home right after the game.

Scenario... plane lands at LAX, players get on the bus. DS gets on the bus and tells the players "Grab your phones, call whoever is waiting for you and tell them you will be a little late getting home. We have work to do."

Bus takes team to TSC for a good 2-hour+ practice, then home for a nap and back for the regular morning practice.

No, I don't think it would happen (and if it did I could somehow see Donald Fehr having something to say about it) but what a wake-up call that would be.
Yeah, that would look pretty dramatic and I'm sure it would make a good movie, but I don't expect any such things to happen. It would almost suggest that players are lazy and they just need some puck handling drills, which is far from truth. Players need to get their heads sorted out and to be convinced they are winners again. By keeping them hungry and sleep deprived Sutter would not achieve that.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:07 PM
  #4
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Players need to get their heads sorted out and to be convinced they are winners again.
Agreed. And if youir Sutterk how do you acheive that? Do you meet with them today or Monday, whenever they get to Toronto? Do you address them as a team first and meet one on one later?
This team can't afford to lose many more games. If they'd won (I think Scuderi said this) 3 of the last 6 they'd be at the top of the division. How does Sutter turn it around this week?
Does he strive for now, until Richards is back or the offense finds it balls again, a strict defensive game and get 2 points even if it means 2-1 games.
Back to basics drills is a good place to start and the PP is awful,...painful to watch.
So where does Sutter start???

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:59 PM
  #5
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,577
vCash: 500
I dont know if the CBA allows that. Teams are restricted as to how much they can force players to attend practices and meetings.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:31 PM
  #6
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Agreed. And if youir Sutterk how do you acheive that? Do you meet with them today or Monday, whenever they get to Toronto? Do you address them as a team first and meet one on one later?
This team can't afford to lose many more games. If they'd won (I think Scuderi said this) 3 of the last 6 they'd be at the top of the division. How does Sutter turn it around this week?
Does he strive for now, until Richards is back or the offense finds it balls again, a strict defensive game and get 2 points even if it means 2-1 games.
Back to basics drills is a good place to start and the PP is awful,...painful to watch.
So where does Sutter start???
I believe that Sutter will tell each player what he expects them to do in next game, without talking about past games at all. He doesn't care what happened before, he cares that players don't float under his reign. After first game is finished, then he will start with his individual... analysis, for each player, from Westgarth to Kopitar. I'd love to hear that on youtube, but I guess it's best that what is said in locker room stays in locker room.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:38 PM
  #7
Skyver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 500
I think Sutter is more of a lunatic than that. I'd expect a bag skate instead of a normal practice. Not 2 hours, until next day!

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:00 PM
  #8
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream
 
THEKingsFanInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Country: United States
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I dont know if the CBA allows that. Teams are restricted as to how much they can force players to attend practices and meetings.
I believe you are right, hence the reference to Donald Fehr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Yeah, that would look pretty dramatic and I'm sure it would make a good movie, but I don't expect any such things to happen. It would almost suggest that players are lazy and they just need some puck handling drills, which is far from truth. Players need to get their heads sorted out and to be convinced they are winners again. By keeping them hungry and sleep deprived Sutter would not achieve that.
While I know what you mean, I thought it might send the exact opposite message, that they are taking their skills for granted and that they could stand to hear revilee at 0400 to "wake up."

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
  #9
eleventy
Registered User
 
eleventy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
In all seriousness, the first thing I would do if I were Sutter would be to strip the letters from the leadership group and have them earn it back, or have someone else step up and earn it from them.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:22 PM
  #10
Sybil227
Registered User
 
Sybil227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Clarita
Country: United States
Posts: 2,634
vCash: 500
The first thing I want Sutter to do?
Put on a dress & a red wig and sing "The Sun'll Come out Tomorrow."

But, then, I'm weird.......

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
  #11
HookKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
I would take Kopi off the PK -- except maybe late in the game to protect a lead. The guy is playing way too many minutes.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:24 PM
  #12
Cruel11
Son, just don't.
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
I would take Kopi off the PK -- except maybe late in the game to protect a lead. The guy is playing way too many minutes.
He does play a lot of minutes. I would like to see that too.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:26 PM
  #13
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
I would take Kopi off the PK -- except maybe late in the game to protect a lead. The guy is playing way too many minutes.
I understand the reason, but I think that is not possible, at least not right now. Kopitar out, Richards out, who is then left to play PK? The only solution is to take less penalties.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
  #14
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
In all seriousness, the first thing I would do if I were Sutter would be to strip the letters from the leadership group and have them earn it back, or have someone else step up and earn it from them.
This x1000000000.

To me, ever since Brown got the C, his game has changed. He's no longer the north-south player who would go hard straight to the net and bury the garbage goals. It seems like since he was named captain, he feels responsible for doing more on his own, thus all the horrible toe drags he does. After Marleau was stripped of the C, he scored 40 goals. Not saying Brown can do that but I think he can get 20-30 consistently (moreso on the 20 side) if he gets back to his roots as a power forward.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:24 PM
  #15
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
A buddy of mine planted this idea in my head and I think it's a great one...

Sutter is slated to take over on Tuesday IIRC, and the Kings are in TO on Monday, presumably flying home right after the game.

Scenario... plane lands at LAX, players get on the bus. DS gets on the bus and tells the players "Grab your phones, call whoever is waiting for you and tell them you will be a little late getting home. We have work to do."

Bus takes team to TSC for a good 2-hour+ practice, then home for a nap and back for the regular morning practice.

No, I don't think it would happen (and if it did I could somehow see Donald Fehr having something to say about it) but what a wake-up call that would be.
I like this.

I'd first want him to take Drew Doughty aside. Explain to him that bullying a team to become the highest paid player focuses the spotlight directly on yourself. The teams success and failures now rest on your shoulders. Explain to him that the days of doing whatever the hell you feel like are long gone. I'm sure the kid is aware of this but sometimes you need to be told things you already know.

Also, have a private meeting with Kopi, Brown, Quick, Scuds, and Mitchell and allow them to sound off on the reasons they feel that they are in the position that they are in. Take the feedback, spend a day or two reviewing the last 15 games on tape, and immediately draw up a battle plan.

I'd send Clifford back to Manchester and try a new player.

Last, I would politely tell Dean Lombardi that the team still has not found that elite sniper type winger that they have needed for the last 4 seasons and that must be his top priority.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
  #16
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
Accountability. That's all I want Darryl Sutter to bring.


I hate reading comments like this from Willie Mitchell...from todays Hammond article.

Quote:
You need good practice habits to play well in the game. I don’t think our practices have been the best around here

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
  #17
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,708
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Accountability. That's all I want Darryl Sutter to bring.


I hate reading comments like this from Willie Mitchell...from todays Hammond article.
Pretty damning considering they have been talking very highly of their practices since Murray was fired, Stevens referred to them as "sharp" yesterday.

__________________

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:49 PM
  #18
Maize and Blue
Registered User
 
Maize and Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Darryl Sutter will burn out faster than a fire cracker! He'll get everyones attention right off the bat. That is for sure. Richards & Stoll he'll love. Johnson will be his whipping boy in a week. Scorched earth tongue lashings. Hard ass rigid coaching message will burn out before seasons end. I'm not saying that is not what they need this week or next. BUT the guy don't know how to shut it off.

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:53 PM
  #19
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize and Blue View Post
Darryl Sutter will burn out faster than a fire cracker! He'll get everyones attention right off the bat. That is for sure. Richards & Stoll he'll love. Johnson will be his whipping boy in a week. Scorched earth tongue lashings. Hard ass rigid coaching message will burn out before seasons end. I'm not saying that is not what they need this week or next. BUT the guy don't know how to shut it off.
At this point I don't care about the results. I just want someone to say the things to the players that many fans have been wanting to say for a while.

Starting with GROW A PAIR OF BALLS.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM
  #20
Cruel11
Son, just don't.
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 16,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Accountability. That's all I want Darryl Sutter to bring.


I hate reading comments like this from Willie Mitchell...from todays Hammond article.
I remember reading some comments last season from other fans, saying that Kings practices looked easy going and very laid back. Kings practices are relaxed compared to other teams. Hopefully, Sutter changes this around.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
  #21
AirheadPete
G-Dub
 
AirheadPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,104
vCash: 500
itll be interesting to see how sutter works out. hope for the best from a devils fan who casually enjoys watching the kings.


Last edited by AirheadPete: 12-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.
AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
  #22
DaAnimal
Registered User
 
DaAnimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasadena
Country: United States
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
I remember reading some comments last season from other fans, saying that Kings practices looked easy going and very laid back. Kings practices are relaxed compared to other teams. Hopefully, Sutter changes this around.
Perhaps that explains why we are so inconsistent. Practice makes perfect. Yet if we do a half ass job in practice, then we can pretty much see a half ass performance.

If that's the case then i hope to the Hockey Gods that we change that ASAP

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:08 PM
  #23
HookKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Perhaps that explains why we are so inconsistent. Practice makes perfect. Yet if we do a half ass job in practice, then we can pretty much see a half ass performance.

If that's the case then i hope to the Hockey Gods that we change that ASAP
The team does look like they don't practice much. Sloppy passing or passes to nowhere, shots not on net, poor timing on rushes, stationary and predictable power play, overall lack of team chemistry etc.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:03 PM
  #24
AStammer7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Kings Are Going To Get A Kick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
The team does look like they don't practice much. Sloppy passing or passes to nowhere, shots not on net, poor timing on rushes, stationary and predictable power play, overall lack of team chemistry etc.
One thing Sutter will do is get the Kings attention and if he doesn't then some will have to go...I for one would like to see Doughty gone he's been trouble since the contractual fiasco. I think he's overrated and won't likely turn his game or attitude around. Maybe the Kings could trade him to Nashville for Shea Weber since he'll get more than 10M per season but at least is worth the dough,not unlike Dough(ty)!God I friggin hate Doughty's guts...He's a waste of skin...

PS Whatever happned to Lombardi's build from within...just a bunch of BS from the master of bs...Penner wasn't the missing piece but we gave up 2 first rounders and a third Rounder for a player that may play one year for the Kings. Nice work Deano. We let Frolov walk for nothing...nice work Dean,We trade Cammalleri for Teubert. We trade Boyle,Moulson,Purcell for basically nothing...And Trade Tukonen for a pile of pucks(Clune). Nice work Deano. The list goes on and on and on...On a positive note Dean stole Richards from the Flyers... and may have brought the hardass coach this team needs or the Kings may implode which is just as well...Love to see the Kings get a top 3 pick this year then at least we can get a winger to play with Kopitar or Richards...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
  #25
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
This x1000000000.

To me, ever since Brown got the C, his game has changed. He's no longer the north-south player who would go hard straight to the net and bury the garbage goals. It seems like since he was named captain, he feels responsible for doing more on his own, thus all the horrible toe drags he does. After Marleau was stripped of the C, he scored 40 goals. Not saying Brown can do that but I think he can get 20-30 consistently (moreso on the 20 side) if he gets back to his roots as a power forward.
I'd leave Matt Greene's letter. He called the team meeting last year, and he yelled at him this year.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.