HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black preaches patience to frustrated Sabres fans

Old
12-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Black preaches patience to frustrated Sabres fans

Quote:
Black found the people around him to be different than the irate talk-show callers he hears and venomous bloggers he reads who want the roster blown up and everybody fired. The fans in First Niagara Center's cheap seats were no less frustrated than anyone else bleeding blue and gold, but they were more reasonable.

"The fans here are great," Black said last week. "You can get inside of a bubble and just listen to call-in shows, tweets and chats. When I talk one-on-one to fans, 99.9999 percent, our fans have been fantastic. I should say 100 percent because I haven't had a negative experience with a fan.

"The general vibe has been people are still very appreciative of what we're trying to accomplish in the big picture. Like everyone else -- Terry, myself, Darcy, Lindy -- we're frustrated in the sense that we wish we didn't have so many injuries and we wish we were performing at a higher level in terms of wins and losses."
Quote:
Rumblings for Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff to be fired grow louder every year. They're the longest tenured GM-coach combination in the NHL.

In fact, there could come a time when one or both are sent packing. But if anyone is expecting a few more losses to lead them toward the door, think again. It's not happening any time soon.

"We haven't had an adequate sample size to find out how good our team can be," Black said. "Is there any thought of getting rid of Darcy or Lindy right now? No. None."
Quote:
Black's remedy for fans, although difficult to swallow, is taking a few deep breaths and calling him later in the season.

"Be patient," he said. "I know it's one of the most cruel things I could possibly say to [people who] have been asked to be patient for 41 long winters. Included in that fan base is Terry Pegula. He's been patient for decades as well as a fan. We're going to continue to move forward. We are on the right trajectory, and we're not done yet."
Quote:
"Winning is the best game entertainment going," Black said. "Winning makes management look really, really smart. The fact we're not winning and not winning at home is a downer. I also think the demographic of a Buffalo Sabres' fan is more mature in age and in their knowledge of the game.

"The analogy I would use for this market is that if you go to a rock concert, some people just want to go and listen to the music and not stand and scream and dance. Our fans are into the game. For us to have cheerleaders or something would be insulting to their intelligence. It's a more intellectual fan base when it comes to their hockey IQ."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle676991.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Yea **** you Ted.

"This" won't win.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Old quotes, pointless article.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
Bucky's a hack.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Mellifleur

Old rehashed material. A lot of that stuff is from a WGR interview last week. Gleason actually gets paid to do this ? What a hack...

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
puckish66

Intellectual fans? Oh boy.

Ted, we're all dummies. And we very much want to yell and sing and dance.

You know darned well there's a problem in the stands. Why else does Sabretooth want to bang on his drum all day?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
sabresfan129103

isn't this like the 3rd time this year Black has told Sabres fans to be patient?

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
isn't this like the 3rd time this year Black has told Sabres fans to be patient?
No, it's just the same quotes being reused time and time again.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
No, it's just the same quotes being reused time and time again.
I have my issues with Bucky from time to time, but I don't think he's getting his quotes from the WGR audio vault.

Old
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

If Black was telling us to be patient a week and a half ago, last night isn't going to change much.

They know the team is on the road all of January, they are sooooo hoping for an ouuta sight outta mind mentality. They're hoping for a big month that is probably not going to happen. 6 of their next 18 are at home... The season is right there.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:04 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
If Black was telling us to be patient a week and a half ago, last night isn't going to change much.

They know the team is on the road all of January, they are sooooo hoping for an ouuta sight outta mind mentality. They're hoping for a big month that is probably not going to happen. 6 of their next 18 are at home... The season is right there.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the season was over before it began.
The failure to address the true problem in the forward ranks sealed this seasons team fate even before they took the ice.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Pechorin

I doubt Black followed the Sabres closely outside of the second half of last season after Pegula took over. We've been watching the same effort from the same players for 4+ seasons now. It's not about patience anymore. This organization needed structural changes from the top down. We got the change at the top but they skipped the part of relieving Regier of his job and look what he's done with the roster. We're against the cap with this team? Thank you Darcy.

Pechorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechorin View Post
I doubt Black followed the Sabres closely outside of the second half of last season after Pegula took over. We've been watching the same effort from the same players for 4+ seasons now. It's not about patience anymore. This organization needed structural changes from the top down. We got the change at the top but they skipped the part of relieving Regier of his job and look what he's done with the roster. We're against the cap with this team? Thank you Darcy.
You should probably "thank" Terry more.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I have my issues with Bucky from time to time, but I don't think he's getting his quotes from the WGR audio vault.
Regardless of where he got it from, unless Black gave the same exact quote recently, that is exactly what he said in his interview with WGR from a week and a half ago.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

it's kind of ironic that Bucky can rehash the old quotes...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote