HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards update..good news

Old
12-18-2011, 12:21 PM
deeshamrock

vCash: 500
Richards update..good news

potential good news from Helene Elliott from practice this morning:

Mike Richards skating w/Kings in normal jersey, not the red, no-contact jersey

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:30 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I'm just praying, PRAYING, they aren't rushing him (or he rushing himself) back because of the current struggles of this team. So many guys seem to be coming back from a concussion too soon only to get hit again and REALLY be in trouble. The last thing I want is for Richards to destroy his career and scramble his brains over this. Not to mention the Kings having him under contract for 9 more year or whatever it is. Be smart about this.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:39 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
I'm just praying, PRAYING, they aren't rushing him (or he rushing himself) back because of the current struggles of this team. So many guys seem to be coming back from a concussion too soon only to get hit again and REALLY be in trouble. The last thing I want is for Richards to destroy his career and scramble his brains over this. Not to mention the Kings having him under contract for 9 more year or whatever it is. Be smart about this.
I agree...he's far to valuable for this team's success, however, it's never been dianosed as a concussion, only by the media
He began working out four days later, that's a no no with a concussion. It may have been his neck or shoulder (as the Bruins annoucers stated during their broadcast)
ANd I dont' think Dean Lombardi will take any chances with Richards...I'm sure they'll evaluate him well and let the doctors give the final okay.

Richards, although he's played hurt before, including all of last year (busted wrist) and most of 2008-2009 (torn labrums in both shoulders) said a couple times already (as recently as Sat) that he's not going to come back until he feels he's 100%. I think he realized how much he's needed and that anything less than 100% woild hurt the team
It's a shame they are 1-6 , I wonder if they went 3-4 during this stretch if he would be given a bit more time...

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:42 PM
jml87

Normally recovery time for a minor concussion is 7-10 days. As long as the symptoms are gone, nothing left to do but let him play. It's a risk playing hockey every day with the checking, boarding, fighting, and high sticking. Most hockey guys have had at least one concussion in their lifetime.

I really think that teams have become super precautious with concussions. Sometimes guys who could probably play the next day are out for a two weeks. I trust Richards knows when he's ready.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I like the lines and D pairings that are being used at practice. Hope they can somehow click and remain constant.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Richards10

So glad he,s finally back. Hope they get back on track now

Richards10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
You missed the other tweet:

Mike Richards has the red no-contact jersey on now. He rotated in on line rushes and looked fine

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Normally recovery time for a minor concussion is 7-10 days. As long as the symptoms are gone, nothing left to do but let him play. It's a risk playing hockey every day with the checking, boarding, fighting, and high sticking. Most hockey guys have had at least one concussion in their lifetime.

I really think that teams have become super precautious with concussions. Sometimes guys who could probably play the next day are out for a two weeks. I trust Richards knows when he's ready.
It is a little confusing because just like yesterday or the day before he said that he was still experiencing symptoms. One just hopes that he isn't taking it upon himself to turn the Kings around and is risking his health to do so.

As long as this is because he is now symptom free and ready to transition back into the lineup, then this is the best piece of news we have received in a long time.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:03 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It is a little confusing because just like yesterday or the day before he said that he was still experiencing symptoms. One just hopes that he isn't taking it upon himself to turn the Kings around and is risking his health to do so.

As long as this is because he is now symptom free and ready to transition back into the lineup, then this is the best piece of news we have received in a long time.
Well he even admitted it could be rust, it could be jet lag. Thats why it's good today that he's still practicing. It would be worse not better today if he still had symptoms.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Given what has been going on with Crosby, I wouldn't mind seeing him exercising hard and being symptom free for a couple of weeks before they let him back into the lineup.

There is no reason to take a risk with Richards.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Nex06

Concussion symptoms ... I don't want to be pessimistic but from last two seasons I got an impression, that once you get them you are done. Most players are never the same again and the symptoms will return much sooner than normal. What I mean is, that something which would present no problem for Kopitar, could potentially put Richards or Doughty on injured list for two weeks.

This is some serious **** and I really hope NHL has more luck with it in the future. Too many good players are sidelined. Many of them are among those, who play hockey hardest.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Concussion symptoms ... I don't want to be pessimistic but from last two seasons I got an impression, that once you get them you are done. Most players are never the same again and the symptoms will return much sooner than normal. What I mean is, that something which would present no problem for Kopitar, could potentially put Richards or Doughty on injured list for two weeks.

This is some serious **** and I really hope NHL has more luck with it in the future. Too many good players are sidelined. Many of them are among those, who play hockey hardest.
As a flyers fan, I thought Gagne was done for good when he was out with another concussion for a year. And yet he's still out there skating and scoring goals.

I still think it a bit of an overreaction from teams. Hits like this have been around for way longer than the last 10 years. I think the guys who get the **** knocked of them and end up unconscious should take it easy. But the minor concussion where just get knocked in the head and you feel a little woozy, that isn't that big of a deal.

And unfortunately what can the league do about it? Hockey is built around contact. I got a concussion playing hockey and the guy barely touched me. It's just impossible to regulate unless you outlaw all contact and give everyone great gazoo sized helmets.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some good news:
Quote:
After practice, Willie Mitchell declared himself ready to play, and will likely return in a pairing with Jack Johnson. Mike Richards wore a red no-contact jersey later in practice, but John Stevens praised Richards’ conditioning and said he is showing improvement, although there’s still no timetable on Richards’ return. Jonathan Quick will start in goal against Toronto. More notes and quotes from practice to come…
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/12/18...chards-better/

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

thank god, I'm excited to see him back with Sutter as the coach

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Kingurentai

I hope it's a shoulder. In any case, like others said I hope the Kings take their time. I'm not worried about MR losing a step whenever he comes back. He's just that type of player that will be ready to go.

What would be ideal is Sutter kicking the a** of the remaining Kings players into high gear, string together some wins, then have MR as an added bonus down the stretch.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote