FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
so lets get this straight...

one of our top prospects
A) couldn't handle the 'rigors' of a light academic workload
or
B) ditched out on his team just as one of their top players is suspended indefinitely and the going gets tough
or
C) Is leaving because of the way the team treated a man accused of attempting to **** some girl...
This is my guess.

My co-captain of my high school lacrosse team got in some **** his senior year and almost got kicked off the team. All the seniors on the team vowed that if he was kicked off, we would leave as well. Luckily nothing happened and I doubt we would have gone through with it anyway, but someone getting removed from the team does stuff to the rest of the guys. I'm not saying that Coyle was in the same boat but it wouldn't surprise me Coyle was actually effected by that, especially if some of the rumors are true and that Trev's dismissal was because of an over-exaggerated and out of proportion for what he actually did. Note: I'm not trying to defend him, I don't know the full story. I'm just speculating on what I've heard and read.

I'm going to guess that Coyle might have been having some issues academically that weren't too serious, but when his buddy was removed and the coach handled the situation in the way he did that it pushed Coyle over the edge.

/insightintothebrainfromcriminalmindsandotherrandom csiclassesandstuff

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Yeah I'm sure Phil Kessel, Jonathan Toews, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Dany Heatley Ryan Miller, Jimmy Howard and another couple dozen guys who I didn't name are all sorry they went the college route.

This thread is not getting into a NCAA/CHL overall debate, capice?
Wasn't my intention. Was just saying that Saint John has a great program for players of his age group. In its 6 years they have had 19 NHL draftees. REALLY excited about Coyle

HOWEVER, admittedly, I know **** all about him. Anyone got the scouting report? I just know he's very well admired.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:19 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
I disagree with leaving your team mid season if its anything other than academic issues, if you don't wanna be there leave between seasons.

I ripped Okposo for it and i'll rip Coyle for it, this is a red flag for me.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
HOWEVER, admittedly, I know **** all about him. Anyone got the scouting report? I just know he's very well admired.
Here's a bunch of reading:

-Restocking the Cupboard: Charlie Coyle
-Wild prospect scrimmage scouting reports (Day 1 & Day 2)
-Recap of the BU-BC game
-Look at Coyle for the upcoming WJC

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I was like "Holy ****" when I first heard it on the radio this morning. Then, I realized he will play with the Sea Dogs...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Wueste

He couldn't be going to a better team in the CHL. Frankly, I'd rather have him playing big minutes and in all situations on a team that is going to make a serious run in the post-season than playing likely 3rd or 4th line minutes in Houston (though Houston could certainly make a serious post-season run as well)
I generally disagree with leaving your team mid-season, and I think it is unlikely the class workload "surprised" him as he is no longer a freshman. But it is the player's decision, their life to live. Hopefully he didn't leave because of the wrong reasons. I thought I read somewhere that he's wanted to be a BU Terrier for forever. I had it in my mind that it would have been difficult for the Wild to convince him to leave school after this season.

Wueste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Just wanted to wrap up Coyle news f/ earlier: In a statement, Coyle said he left school voluntarily, choosing to focus on becoming an NHLer.
http://twitter.com/#!/NHLDanMyers/st...95267604168705
Quote:
Earlier reports of him flunking out of school are apparently incorrect, according to him, his agents and sources with the Wild.
http://twitter.com/#!/NHLDanMyers/st...95434239672320
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify this because there are any number of reports floating around out there.
http://twitter.com/#!/NHLDanMyers/st...95806446407680

Old
12-17-2011, 12:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

cough aj thelen cough

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
cough aj thelen cough
What?

Don't ever mention this name again..

Old
12-17-2011, 02:02 AM
grN1g

the only thing i dont understand about this is his decision to go to the Q instead of houston when he claims his only reason for leaving was to "focus on making to the NHL" when right now is as good as shot as u can get with our injuries. with latendresse, seto, and possibly butch out long term plus wellman getting scratched somewhat often, id think coyle would get a look preety quick. idk something just doesn't seem right.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:03 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quitter. I want to play for a better team so i quit instead of working my butt off. Maybe not that bad. But i do not like it. At least go to Houston. It looks like pad your stat time.

Now that i have seen the the results from Lucia and the boys in the BCHL. They along with the Reillys are destroying that league. How good can utter domination be for player.

I have nothing against the Q. But go there at 16-17-18 not 19 almost 20.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:25 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
How good can utter domination be for player.

I have nothing against the Q. But go there at 16-17-18 not 19 almost 20.
That's pretty much my thoughts summed up as well. I just don't see how this helps his development, at all. Especially when you see some Saint John fans penciling him on the second line and such.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:52 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
What?

Don't ever mention this name again..
I can't help but think of the Thelen situation.

As much as we pan Thelen, he was a good defenseman until he left for the W.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I can't help but think of the Thelen situation.

As much as we pan Thelen, he was a good defenseman until he left for the W.
I'm holding off on my Thelen comparisons for now. I genuinely hope it's not the same situation, but Thelen was kicked off the team IIRC, Coyle seems to have left on his own decision. If anything, Okposo might be a better comparison for now. I'm not defending Coyle, I just don't think he's in Thelen territory yet, and I certainly hope it doesn't get that bad.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
What? Its not ok for player voluntarily to leave a team, but its perfectly ok for the big boss pull the trigger and sell/trade a player to another team? Double-moralism ahoy.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
What? Its not ok for player voluntarily to leave a team, but its perfectly ok for the big boss pull the trigger and sell/trade a player to another team? Double-moralism ahoy.
well one is done for selfish reasons primarily and the other is done to make the team better. especially when that team just lost another important player.

Just leaves me with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. But in the end if he feels that it will help him become a better player at the NHL level then good for him. We certainly don't know everything about his relationship with the BU staff/team and all of the circumstances. Just hope he is leaving for the right reasons.

Still don't know why he would rather go to the Q then play in the AHL. I mean our team was a couple games away from being the champs and are off to a hot start this year so he had a good chance to win here.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
--Clarification on the Charlie Coyle situation: The Wild was never willing to sign Coyle and place him now in Houston. If he left Boston University, he would have had to go play major junior or Europe. The Wild would never want a 19-year-old to leave college for the AHL.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/135803998.html

Old
12-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, this puts a better spin on everything that's happened in the last few days. I'm glad that we got some insight to what management was thinking during this situation as well.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Bjindaho

Coyle will play 1st line with Phillips.

Also, Minnesota just signed Phillips.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:23 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Well, this puts a better spin on everything that's happened in the last few days. I'm glad that we got some insight to what management was thinking during this situation as well.
They still should have done a better job on the PR front.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Yeah, I know. It should have been issued in a statement from the club rather than as a tweet from Russo.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
so lets get this straight...

one of our top prospects
A) couldn't handle the 'rigors' of a light academic workload
or
B) ditched out on his team just as one of their top players is suspended indefinitely and the going gets tough
or
C) Is leaving because of the way the team treated a man accused of attempting to **** some girl...
Close, but not so close at all. The coach at BU has a bit of a running history of having trouble relating to many of his players, but apparently he's been extremely public about a number of personal problems his players have had. Most notably, he's apparently publicly criticized and attacked Trivino before based upon his alleged alcohol problems. That's to say he's attacked the kid in the media about alcohol abuse and addiction, but never seems to have bothered to maybe get the kid some help. It just doesn't sound like a healthy situation from any perspective.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Yeah, I know. It should have been issued in a statement from the club rather than as a tweet from Russo.
While I don't disagree that the team should have done better with the PR, I stand by my earlier comments. The team seems to have been caught completely blindside by this. With their statement that they never considered putting him in Houston, I am even more certain this was partially an attempt by Coyle's agent to get him there. The mixed up stories and signals the team gave Russo as the story unfolded seemed like emergency response and PR triage rather than honest evaluations of the team's position.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
xMenace

Quote:
Keep in mind the QMJHL Christmas trading period opened this morning. Teams like to keep things quiet until all deals are done. Tipping the hand early might mean losing another deal.

xMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMenace View Post
Keep in mind the QMJHL Christmas trading period opened this morning. Teams like to keep things quiet until all deals are done. Tipping the hand early might mean losing another deal.
But they didn't say anything and left him out to dry. And when someone did, it was a small tidbit stuck in a game blog by Russo 2 days after Coyle officially signed. There's no tipping the hand of Saint John or anything.

Might have to write about this one. I still have some strong feelings on how no one wins and everyone loses.