HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Forsberg: Sweden didn't "try their hardest" against SVK in '06

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 03:02 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Just watched the video on SVT.se where Forsberg spoke himself. He did not say they lost intentionally, he did say that the team was unmotivated to play hard because of the risk of injuries and a hard opponent in the quarters. The coaches did not order them to lose.
This post needed more quoting. Either way it's all in the past and they won so haters (and losers) gonna hate I guess.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:48 PM
WayneBruce

This is just taken way out of context, and the finns find this thread quickly I see

Old
12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
winther88

I see that the Finns are raging but we still beat Finland in the finals and you had your chance to take us down. We were better than you and you just have to live with it.

Also, Forsberg never said that they lost intentionally. He said that they didn't want to get injuries and therefore were more careful than in other games.

All in all, this doesn't really matter. Sweden still was the best team that tournament winning against Finland who had beaten Russia who had beaten Canada and so on. We destroyed the czechs in the semis and did what we had to do to take the gold. That's all that matters!

Old
12-18-2011, 03:57 PM
smi

Sweden won gold, and that's all there is to it. Had there been a team that would've deserved it more, it would've won instead.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Everyone allrady knew that. I remember the breakaway when swedish player just skated to the corner and didint take a shot

Nothing new here, and it was lame but its allready old thing.
anyone have a video of this?

Old
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
This is just taken way out of context, and the finns find this thread quickly I see

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at this thread.

Old
12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Those tournaments aren't about winning every game, it's about winning the right games.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
That's the Swedish way
What's the finnish way if you want to play that game; Lahtis?

Old
12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I can't believe how players can do this. Do they have any pride?

You play to win every game.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Exalted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
What's the finnish way if you want to play that game; Lahtis?
The finnish way? Loosing the finals then cry lika a *****.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:30 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

so pathetic, but old news, thats sweden for you..

Old
12-18-2011, 05:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey is Rad View Post
Sweden won gold, and that's all there is to it. Had there been a team that would've deserved it more, it would've won instead.
Indeed.

This horse was beaten dead and turned to mettwurst a long time ago. Perhaps Tre Kronor insulted the spirit of the game, but they never broke any rules and that's pretty much the long and short of it. Still moping over this is nothing but bad news.

May the next generation of Finnish Lions manage many humiliating victories over our dear neighbors so that issues like these become nothing but bittersweet memories. They're off to a good start.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
anyone have a video of this?
I think just about everyone who watched the game back then remembers it, I've seen so many people refer to that incident (Note: I didn't watch it then myself). And considering the attitude of the IOC towards Olympic footage on the web, it would be hard to find.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Patchy

Well, we won in the end and that's all that matters.

Enjoy ********.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:14 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I don't think anyone thought otherwise. Bad for the sport. It's weird that one of the fairplay nations in all sports did this. The 2-2 with Denmark in some footy thingie was also weird..

But since the leaders apparently weren't in on this they can go on with no action from IIHF?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM
FakeKidPoker*

I forget this tournament

if the Slovaks lost would they have been eliminated?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/...436149486.html

Url is in Finnish but the main point is that Forsberg says to the SVT News that they intentionally lost to the Slovaks to gain easier path to finals for Sweden.

Forsberg says that this is one of a kind situation and blames the system for forcing them to do such a decision.
No duh.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I don't think anyone thought otherwise. Bad for the sport. It's weird that one of the fairplay nations in all sports did this. The 2-2 with Denmark in some footy thingie was also weird..

But since the leaders apparently weren't in on this they can go on with no action from IIHF?
Did you see the 2-2 game? That was just an badass result!

And yeah, I think it's wrong, you should always play to win every game. But I understand the players too.

And as said, he didn't say they were told to lose, but inside the players knew that it probably was the best.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I love it how swedes in this thread go "oh yeah we won in the finals which means we are the best team and that's all there is to it". No. It just means that you were more lucky in a tight game where scoring chances are sparse. If we look at the overall record, Finland was still the best team in that tournament. If the system would've been different (the old Olympic system for example instead of the stupid playoff crap), we would've won the gold, and rightfully so. Losing one game in a long tournament shouldn't automatically mean the loss of the gold, even if that game happened to be the final. At the very least, make the final a double header with combined score, way too many variables in a single game.

Also, you have no ground to mock the Finns over the loss or be proud of it, since none of you were actually playing in that game. Don't take the glory when you didn't do any work at all towards achieving the goal. You seem to think that because your country got the gold medal it automatically makes you better person and a human being than us. I, for one, think such gloaters shouldn't classify as human beings at all. Mere trash.

As for the topic, it's shameful, wrong and against the Olympic spirit. Very unsportsmanlike of the whole team to even think of such possibility, not even mentioning the fact that they actually did it. You play the game to win, not to throw a game just to make your life easier. In fact, that is against the very principle of any sport or competition. Still, we all knew it happened back then, no need to make a fuss of it as it won't change anything. Only thing it does bring is bad memories from the past.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I love it how swedes in this thread go "oh yeah we won in the finals which means we are the best team and that's all there is to it". No. It just means that you were more lucky in a tight game where scoring chances are sparse. If we look at the overall record, Finland was still the best team in that tournament. If the system would've been different (the old Olympic system for example instead of the stupid playoff crap), we would've won the gold, and rightfully so. Losing one game in a long tournament shouldn't automatically mean the loss of the gold, even if that game happened to be the final. At the very least, make the final a double header with combined score, way too many variables in a single game.

Also, you have no ground to mock the Finns over the loss or be proud of it, since none of you were actually playing in that game. Don't take the glory when you didn't do any work at all towards achieving the goal. You seem to think that because your country got the gold medal it automatically makes you better person and a human being than us. I, for one, think such gloaters shouldn't classify as human beings at all. Mere trash.

As for the topic, it's shameful, wrong and against the Olympic spirit. Very unsportsmanlike of the whole team to even think of such possibility, not even mentioning the fact that they actually did it. You play the game to win, not to throw a game just to make your life easier. In fact, that is against the very principle of any sport or competition. Still, we all knew it happened back then, no need to make a fuss of it as it won't change anything. Only thing it does bring is bad memories from the past.
Holy crap this guy is mad.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Dosing

Quote:

So if sweden is dodger, and the olympic gold is the sausages, guess who finland is?

Old
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:

Of course they played to win. But. They would rather risk a loss in a "meaningless" game than injuries. That's sport. If Barcelona wins 6-1 in their first game in a semifinal in the Champions League, it isn't that big of deal if they lose the second 2-0. Even though they will try to win, they rather not give up cards or injuries. It's logic.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Simply not right. Old news, but just poor sportsmanship.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I find the rivalry between Sweden and Finland a lot more interesting than the debate over Canada and USA for some reason...

It's like they have legitimate hatred for each other.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

hmmm...I wonder if we could go back and find the odds for this game and see if the line moved unusually...

Might have been a fix there....

Closed Thread