HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

How does someone crack the USHL?

Old
12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
GrizzWinter31

vCash: 500
How does someone crack the USHL?

Like if you don't get drafted when you are eligible what are the best way to get scouted?

Any specific showcases?
Are open camps a waste of time?

I want to get someone out east who doesn't know me to watch/evaluate me and hope that he can advocate a little for me. Go to a couple showcases out west..And go to a couple open camps.
Is this good enough or is there more that I can do?

I'm a '93 goalie so obviously the decks stacked against me.....and then some.

EDIT: If anyone thinks they can help and wants some reference PM me..I can give you my name, team, videos, etc..

Last edited by GrizzWinter31: 12-18-2011 at 01:22 PM.
GrizzWinter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:38 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Are you prep/EJHL?

If not...chances are slim I'd say.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:58 PM
GrizzWinter31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Are you prep/EJHL?

If not...chances are slim I'd say.
I play in the Met League. I practice with the organizations AJHL team. Nothing's for sure I suppose but the organization likes me and I'll likely have the AJHL as an option for next season.

But I don't think that my current level is indicative of anything. I just want a fair look/assessment.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:52 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzWinter31 View Post
I play in the Met League. I practice with the organizations AJHL team. Nothing's for sure I suppose but the organization likes me and I'll likely have the AJHL as an option for next season.

But I don't think that my current level is indicative of anything. I just want a fair look/assessment.

I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if you are a 93 and you haven't cracked the EJHL yet, I'd say there is essentially zero percent chance you would get into the USHL by the time you age out. I would focus on getting in with the EJHL if your goal is to get into college via hockey.

If you are serious about it, contact every single USHL team. I know some teams have a player "application" on their website for you to fill out. This might get you an invite to their camps. Carpet bomb every team with an application or an email to their coach.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
GrizzWinter31

Quote:
I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if you are a 93 and you haven't cracked the EJHL yet, I'd say there is essentially zero percent chance you would get into the USHL by the time you age out. I would focus on getting in with the EJHL if your goal is to get into college via hockey.

If you are serious about it, contact every single USHL team. I know some teams have a player "application" on their website for you to fill out. This might get you an invite to their camps. Carpet bomb every team with an application or an email to their coach.
Maybe the top three or so EJHL teams would regularly beat any of the AJHL teams. You end up where you end up sometimes. I literally went to one camp and no showcases and signed at the first offer I got.
There are goalies in the Met League who have USHL and NAHL experience (goalies who are '94s and older). So you play where you get to play.
I didn't post this to hear my 'chances'...Just get suggestions on the best way to get exposure to the league.

Old
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzWinter31 View Post
Maybe the top three or so EJHL teams would regularly beat any of the AJHL teams. You end up where you end up sometimes. I literally went to one camp and no showcases and signed at the first offer I got.
There are goalies in the Met League who have USHL and NAHL experience (goalies who are '94s and older). So you play where you get to play.
I didn't post this to hear my 'chances'...Just get suggestions on the best way to get exposure to the league.
Given that I am from New England and have experience in the EJHL... to hear that comment about EJHL/AJHL comparisons is downright laughable. Trust me when I say this, scouts agree. You can listen to the things I say or not, that's entirely up to you.

Old
12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
GrizzWinter31

Quote:
Given that I am from New England and have experience in the EJHL... to hear that comment about EJHL/AJHL comparisons is downright laughable. Trust me when I say this, scouts agree. You can listen to the things I say or not, that's entirely up to you.
Regardless, this argument is neither here no there.

I guess I can make it clear that I don't think the USHL is a likely option. The original question I wanted to pose is if I wanted any chance what are ways to go about it.

Old
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Just curious, would it be accurate to say the EJHL is at a level between the MJHL/AJHL (below) and the USHL (above)?
Thanks.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
Just curious, would it be accurate to say the EJHL is at a level between the MJHL/AJHL (below) and the USHL (above)?
Thanks.
In my opinion, with being experienced in juniors across the country(spare the NAHL, which I have no connections to) It goes as follows...

USHL - Clear cut #1 in terms of talent concentration and talent skill. I don't think it's a well organized league at all, but it seems to attract the best players, so by default, it's the best.
NAHL - Best Organized league in the country in terms of actual league personnel. I honestly wish the NAHL folks were running the USHL. A lot of good talent in the league, spread pretty thin however since the NAHL has a LOT of teams...
EJHL - About as much talent, concentrated as the NAHL. The league just has a few teams and isn't well organized. You can look by NCAA D1 commitments divided by number of players for a fair shake comparison.
AJHL - It's a league on the rise, but has a LONG way to go. I like the way it's structured, but the top players are still in the EJHL on the East Coast.
MJHL - Essentially a feeder for the AJHL from what I know.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
nnynetpotato

Quote:
In my opinion, with being experienced in juniors across the country(spare the NAHL, which I have no connections to) It goes as follows...

USHL - Clear cut #1 in terms of talent concentration and talent skill. I don't think it's a well organized league at all, but it seems to attract the best players, so by default, it's the best.
NAHL - Best Organized league in the country in terms of actual league personnel. I honestly wish the NAHL folks were running the USHL. A lot of good talent in the league, spread pretty thin however since the NAHL has a LOT of teams...
1) Isn't the USHL's preeminence based on USA Hockey's blessing as its recognized Tier I Jr. league?

2)[contradictory statements bolded]

If you have no connections to anyone in the NAHL,how do you know they're the best run?

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
1) Isn't the USHL's preeminence based on USA Hockey's blessing as its recognized Tier I Jr. league?

2)[contradictory statements bolded]

If you have no connections to anyone in the NAHL,how do you know they're the best run?
My opinion is based on the decisions of those who run the league in terms of acquistions, expansion and other variables. I don't have to have connections to have an opinion based on how the league conducts it's business publically. That's just common sense.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:30 PM
nnynetpotato

Fair enough.

Part of their success was picking up and succeeding where America West hadn't,so in that respect,I agree they've done a better job.

It think it would make more sense eventually to include the EJHL teams into that mix and either go with one big Tier II league or several smaller ones.

Am i wrong in saying that politics and egos are what have prevented this from occurring so far?

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
pavelich

Quote:

EJHL - About as much talent, concentrated as the NAHL. The league just has a few teams and isn't well organized. You can look by NCAA D1 commitments divided by number of players for a fair shake comparison.
AJHL - It's a league on the rise, but has a LONG way to go. I like the way it's structured, but the top players are still in the EJHL on the East Coast.
MJHL - Essentially a feeder for the AJHL from what I know.

Thanks!

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote