HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi's Transactions since 2006

Old
12-18-2011, 05:25 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Claude Giroux
Ryan Kesler
P.K. Subban - Not Elite
T.J. Oshie - Not Elite
Mike Green
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Corey Perry - Not Elite (I want him to do it for more than one season)
Mike Richards - Not Elite
Loui Eriksson - Not Elite
Patrice Bergeron - Not Elite
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns - Not even close to Elite
Shea Weber
David Backes - Not even close to Elite
Cam Ward
Duncan Keith
David Perron - Not Elite
Max Pacioretty - Not Elite

Beg to differ.
Edit is mine, and I define Top End as elite.. so on your list, 9 players I would call elite, and that's stretching it in some cases....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:29 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Claude Giroux
Ryan Kesler
P.K. Subban
T.J. Oshie
Mike Green
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Corey Perry
Mike Richards
Loui Eriksson
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Shea Weber
David Backes
Cam Ward
Duncan Keith
David Perron
Max Pacioretty

Beg to differ. If your scouts can do their job...i'd say late first round and early scond is capable of producing a lot of stars.
Nice edit lol, but yea, disagree,

There are tiers of players, ie,

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, Parise, etc

Then you have guys like,

Eriksson, Neal, Kesler, Giroux,

Then you have guys like,

Kessel, Lucic, Krejc, etc,

I am talking top end talent, as in the Stamko's, Parise's, etc, there are very few out there that are drafted..

Old
12-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Who was the last productive top six forward that the Kings drafted? Kopitar in 2005? And that was under the Taylor regime. That's a bit alarming if you ask me.

The lack of emphasis on skill and skating is what bothers me most about Lombardi. Look throughout his history as a GM in the NHL, not much emphasis places on highly skilled forwards.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:14 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Who was the last productive top six forward that the Kings drafted? Kopitar in 2005? And that was under the Taylor regime. That's a bit alarming if you ask me.

The lack of emphasis on skill and skating is what bothers me most about Lombardi. Look throughout his history as a GM in the NHL, not much emphasis places on highly skilled forwards.
I would have to see his tenure in SJ,

As far as LA, if you look at what he's done, he's been flat out methodical,

He established a goaltender pipeline, we have one of the deepest goaltending systems in the league, Quick, Bernier, Jones, Zatkoff, Gibson, etc.

He established a defenseman pipeline, again, we have one of the deepest defense system in the league, D under 25, Johnson, Doughty, Martinez, Voynov Those are playing solid minutes in the NHL, on the farm, Muzzin, Hickey, Campbell, Deslauriers, then Forbort, and I've probably forgotten a few,

It takes TIME to build something like that up,

Now, if you put together his last few drafts, he is working on the forwards,

Vey, Weal, Kozun, Kitsyn, Toffoli, etc,

He has always maintained that he builds from the net out, why is everyone surprised when he does this?

Like I said, I would have to see his drafting history in SJ, but pretty sure he drafted some solid skill over there that Wilson is taking the credit for

Old
12-18-2011, 06:43 PM
sjmay*

Quote:

This is who Lombardi drafted in SJ, he started in 1996- 2003, those who made it to the NHL

Andrei Zyzuzin
Marco Sturm
Matt Bradley

Patrick Marleau
Scott Hannan
Mark Smith

Brad Stuart
Jonathan Cheechoo
Rob Davison
Mikhael Samuelsson

Jeff Jillson
Niko Dimitrakos
Douglas Murray

No one

Marcel Goc
Christian Ehroff
Ryan Clowe

No one

Milan Michalek
Steve Bernier
Matt Carle
Joe Pavelski

So, skilled forward talent that he drafted, Marleau and Michalek, in the 1st rounds, Pavelski, Clowe, Cheechoo, Samuelsson in the later rounds..

Old
12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

It ultimately falls at the feet of Lombardi given his emphasis on goaltending and defense, his subsequent line of drafting, and his selection in coach and system. It is no coincidence that we are last in offense, have almost been consistently so since his rebuild and hiring of Murray, and all of our top 6 forward prospects have failed, been traded away, or headed off overseas.

It should also paint a pretty clear picture as to why it is so hard to sign any noticeable players at the position. It seemingly will forever be Lombardi's ultimate flaw. You see it quite evidently throughout his reign with San Jose as well, not only the problem with free agents, but also his struggles with offense. The Sharks were one of the better defensive teams in the league and one of the worst offensive teams throughout his tenure.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
You see it quite evidently throughout his reign with San Jose as well, not only the problem with free agents, but also his struggles with offense. The Sharks were one of the better defensive teams in the league and one of the worst offensive teams throughout his tenure.
Don't agree with this,

First, he drafts Marleau, Clowe, Pavelski, Michalek, those are skilled top six forwards,

He trades for Selanne, Damphousse, Nolan, Graves,

Those are all offensive players that he brought in or drafted, the results may not have been there, but that's like saying Dustin Brown isn't scoring now because Dean Lombardi is the GM....

Old
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Don't agree with this,

First, he drafts Marleau, Clowe, Pavelski, Michalek, those are skilled top six forwards,

Those are all offensive players that he brought in or drafted, the results may not have been there, but that's like saying Dustin Brown isn't scoring now because Dean Lombardi is the GM....
Didn't mention drafting or trades. Free agency and team philosophy.

Marleau's goal totals during Lombardi's reign: 13,21,17,25,21,28
Marleau's goal totals after Lombardi's reign: 28,34,32,19,38,44,37

Many of those players you mention weren't developed by Lombardi and his system.

They were up to the top 5 in defense multiple years, and down to the upper teens and twenties in offense virtually every year.

This is Lombardi's M.O.

Drawing a line to today's comparisons of LA's current scorers isn't as far-fetched as you make it.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Didn't mention drafting or trades. Free agency and team philosophy.

Marleau's goal totals during Lombardi's reign: 13,21,17,25,21,28
Marleau's goal totals after Lombardi's reign: 28,34,32,19,38,44,37

Many of those players you mention weren't developed by Lombardi and his system.

They were up to the top 5 in defense multiple years, and down to the upper teens and twenties in offense virtually every year.

This is Lombardi's M.O.

Drawing a line to today's comparisons of LA's current scorers isn't as far-fetched as you make it.
Not trying to make it sound far-fetched, I am saying though that he has methodically started at goaltenders, built that up, went to defense, built that up, and by the time he tries the offense, impatient people have had enough,

Kopitar was developed under Lombardi's system though as was Brown etc, so there is offense to be had there,

Old
12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
It should also paint a pretty clear picture as to why it is so hard to sign any noticeable players at the position. It seemingly will forever be Lombardi's ultimate flaw. You see it quite evidently throughout his reign with San Jose as well, not only the problem with free agents, but also his struggles with offense. The Sharks were one of the better defensive teams in the league and one of the worst offensive teams throughout his tenure.
The free agent stuff really is out of Lombardi's control. It's not a Lombardi thing, it's not a Kings thing. Vancouver doesn't get big free agents. San Jose hasn't, and still doesn't after Lombardi. Anaheim lucked out once. Calgary has to sign everyone to NMC's on multi-year contracts. Edmonton isn't a destination. Colorado, even when they were great, didn't bring in many free agents of note. Phoenix has had a terrible name free agent record.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Not trying to make it sound far-fetched, I am saying though that he has methodically started at goaltenders, built that up, went to defense, built that up, and by the time he tries the offense, impatient people have had enough,

Kopitar was developed under Lombardi's system though as was Brown etc, so there is offense to be had there,
5+ years is a long time to find an offense that can adapt to Lombardi's system and not be last in the league. When Lombardi was fired from the Sharks, only one player he drafted was top 5 in scoring on the team, after 7 years...

It takes a very special kind of forward to develop and succeed under Lombardi's system, and we are going back to that very same era. We are already established as horrible offensively and good defensively and now we are going to be coached by the very same man.

I'm all for giving Lombardi his shot, but his neck is on the line here again, and odds are the guillotine will fall.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Nice edit lol, but yea, disagree,

There are tiers of players, ie,

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, Parise, etc

Then you have guys like,

Eriksson, Neal, Kesler, Giroux,

Then you have guys like,

Kessel, Lucic, Krejc, etc,

I am talking top end talent, as in the Stamko's, Parise's, etc, there are very few out there that are drafted..
Thanks on the 'Nice edit" appreciate it.

so what you're saying..is you can't get a Crosby unless you have the top overall pick. Thanks. I didn't know that.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Don't agree with this,

Lombardi was fired prior to the selections of Pavelski and Michalek.

Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:35 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Lombardi was fired prior to the selections of Pavelski and Michalek.
Didn't know that, saw his tenure was 1996-2003, so figured the draft in 2003 was his as well...

Old
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Thanks on the 'Nice edit" appreciate it.

so what you're saying..is you can't get a Crosby unless you have the top overall pick. Thanks. I didn't know that.
Sorry, you were the one calling Brent Burns elite, just remembered that,

That was my point, ELITE players, are RARELY drafted past 16th overall....especially these days...

Old
12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Claude Giroux
Ryan Kesler
P.K. Subban
T.J. Oshie
Mike Green
Pavel Datsyuk
Henrik Zetterberg
Corey Perry
Mike Richards
Loui Eriksson
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Shea Weber
David Backes
Cam Ward
Duncan Keith
David Perron
Max Pacioretty

Beg to differ. If your scouts can do their job...i'd say late first round and early scond is capable of producing a lot of stars
Having three 1st's in the 2003 draft and only hitting on 1 speaks volumes to this. Tambellini,Boyle and Pushkarev were the 3 players we took after Brown. And we didn't draft a single defenseman in that draft.

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
The list of players who IMO didn't pan out for the Kings. Forgive me if I forgot anyone from the trade side of things:

Cloutier
O'sullivan (although was used to get Williams)
Modry
Lundmark
Gauthier
Labarbara
Halpern
Modin
Sturm
Penner
O'Sullivan was fine in LA, 22 goals as a 22 year old, and 14 in 62 games as a 23 year old before being traded for Justin Williams shouldn't put him on the "did not pan out list." He should certainly be on that list for EDM, CAR, MIN, and PHO but not LA. Furthermore, we shouldn't be looking back at DL's signings in 2006 and 2007 and say "Hey, that guy sucked." The whole point of rebuilding is to finish at the bottom of the league and rack up a few high draft picks, without walking around telling everyone that's what you're doing. So you sign a few **** goaltenders and "character" players who will give 100% effort, but still suck.

In my mind, you can only criticize Lombardi for his failures in which he was trying to build a competitive team, which are plenty, but there are still a few successes that even the field out.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Sorry, you were the one calling Brent Burns elite, just remembered that,

That was my point, ELITE players, are RARELY drafted past 16th overall....especially these days...
le sigh, sometimes it's not worth arguing with people

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:04 PM
bobafettish*

how many forwards have DL drafted that's in our top 6?
what FA that DL has signed to fill our top 6 wings? Gagne and Williams LOL

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
how many forwards have DL drafted that's in our top 6?
what FA that DL has signed to fill our top 6 wings? Gagne and Williams LOL
You must count trades as you counted Williams,

So, Williams, Penner, Richards,

Better question, how many of our current solid D has DL acquired?

Old
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
You must count trades as you counted Williams,

So, Williams, Penner, Richards,

Better question, how many of our current solid D has DL acquired?
Sorry, forgot Gagne,

So 4.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
bobafettish*

i counted williams because DL resgined him.

but yea not something to brag about.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Not that I'm suggesting that Dean Lombardi and his staff draft poorly, but their preference to go for character over talent is evident to me.

The one selection that will irk me to no end is the drafting of Trevor Lewis ahead of Claude Giroux in 2006. You know Lombardi and his staff would never make that pick for a couple of reasons, one being that Giroux played in the QMJHL. Secondly because he was always considered a finesse player. It also doesn't help that Chris Stewart was selected right after the Kings picked Trevor Lewis.

Lewis was also an overage pick who had been passed over the year prior. He was never considered a prospect with high upside, but just a solid prospect who would be an NHL player, at best a third line checking forward. In the second round of that very same draft the Kings selected Joey Ryan. Two picks later, the Bruins picked up Milan Lucic.

I know, hindsight helps my argument, but just look at how Boston established itself and their future with just this draft alone. They get Kessel in the first round, who is later moved to acquire Tyler Seguin. They nab Lucic in the second round, and in the third round, they draft Brad Marchand. Drafts like that setup the future success of your franchise, and this draft pretty much helped Boston become the team that they are today.

This strategy makes me wonder, are they truly basing their picks on best player available, or are they simply drafting the best character player available? Look up and down this roster and even in the pipeline and identify who could possibly emerge as the next Patrick Sharp or Loui Eriksson or Jamie Benn or Ryan Callahan. There is one prospect who may fit into that category, Tyler Toffoli. Other than him, this organization is nary on skill.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:20 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Not that I'm suggesting that Dean Lombardi and his staff draft poorly, but their preference to go for character over talent is evident to me.

The one selection that will irk me to no end is the drafting of Trevor Lewis ahead of Claude Giroux in 2006. You know Lombardi and his staff would never make that pick for a couple of reasons, one being that Giroux played in the QMJHL. Secondly because he was always considered a finesse player. It also doesn't help that Chris Stewart was selected right after the Kings picked Trevor Lewis.

Lewis was also an overage pick who had been passed over the year prior. He was never considered a prospect with high upside, but just a solid prospect who would be an NHL player, at best a third line checking forward. In the second round of that very same draft the Kings selected Joey Ryan. Two picks later, the Bruins picked up Milan Lucic.

I know, hindsight helps my argument, but just look at how Boston established itself and their future with just this draft alone. They get Kessel in the first round, who is later moved to acquire Tyler Seguin. They nab Lucic in the second round, and in the third round, they draft Brad Marchand. Drafts like that setup the future success of your franchise, and this draft pretty much helped Boston become the team that they are today.

This strategy makes me wonder, are they truly basing their picks on best player available, or are they simply drafting the best character player available? Look up and down this roster and even in the pipeline and identify who could possibly emerge as the next Patrick Sharp or Loui Eriksson or Jamie Benn or Ryan Callahan. There is one prospect who may fit into that category, Tyler Toffoli. Other than him, this organization is nary on skill.
Pretty sure TG will disagree with you on that last bit,

Toffoli, Vey, Weal, Kozun and Kitsyn are all solid prospects, not all will make it, but if two of the do, that's solid.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:27 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Good stuff Ziggy. As far a drafting Lewis [even picking Bernier] Lombardi was going on the info provided by Al Murray, and not by his own personal drafting criteria. Had he had his own scouts in place, he's probably drafting a defenseman with that pick,and as you put it "a character guy".

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote