HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will our team look like next season from top to bottom?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The only thing that will change is that one contract player will get moved(Cammalleri, Gionta or Gomez).
A voice of reason.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:14 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The only thing that will change is that one contract player will get moved(Cammalleri, Gionta or Gomez).
Funny how those three players are now strangling this team to death. 1 was a given but who would have guessed all three would become albatrosses! (sp?)

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:26 PM
OpenIceHit

Why the hell Moen is in every trade proposals???

The guy can play on the PK, score some goals, replace a good offensive player for a few games and he can drop them. Did I miss something here? Are we better with defensemen and Darches on the 4th line?

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Andy

For the record I just want to say that I don't think Gionta's contract is an albatross. I think he still has a role on this team and I actually like him here. I included him with Cammalleri, Gionta and Gomez because the habs need cap space so naturally you look to the biggest contract, however, I included Gionta because I think he is the most tradable out of those three guys.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
HCH

My wish list is modest. A return of Markov would change that list but if he doesn't I would like to see:
- The Desharnais line kept intact
- Eller with Kostitsyn and Moen
- A big winger to play with Pleks and Leblanc
- A winger on a line with Nokelainen and White who can also kill penalties
- Gorges and Subban kept intact
- Emelin and Diaz as a third pairing
- A physical defenseman to play the right side with Kaberle
- A utility forward who would be content if filling in as needed, preferably someone who can also play center if necessary
- A seventh defenseman who would be content in that role. Someone like Frederic St Denis perhaps
- Some organizational depth in the event of injury and/or players not living up to expectations.

In summary it would like to see the team add:
- a physical top 6/top 9 winger
- a physical top 4 defenseman
- a 4th line player who has penalty killing skills and who can add some energy
- a couple of utility players who may already exist within the organization

Players who would be on the move would be
- Gomez
- Cammalleri
- Gionta
- Campoli
- Weber
- Gill

There aren't a lot of dramatic changes here but I think we have a core that isn't that bad. It just needs to be complemented with the right kind of players.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
What will our team look like next season from top to bottom?

From GM to coaches to the players on the ice! What will we see going forward and since the core of the team has 3 or less seasons left on there contracts after this season, who is in and who is out?

I would love to see:

GM: Julien Brisebois
Assistant GM: ???

Head coach: Patrick Roy
Assistant coach: ???
Assistant coach: ???

Team:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Doan
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Leblanc - Eller - Gionta
Hordichuk - Gaustad - Tootoo
White

Markov - Gorges
Kaberle - Subban
Sutton - Emelin
Tinordi

Price
Budaj

Trade Kostitsyn, Diaz, Weber, Gomez and Moen at this seasons end if we are out of the playoffs, Kostitsyn's value will never be higher and Moen can be packaged with Diaz or Weber to a playoff team in the west, maybe Vancouver?

Discuss!
Useless of you to plug in the names of players on other teams. As for Roy, I dread the thought.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Please no Julien Brisebois or André Savard. We need a clean break from everything we've had in the last decade. If we can't have Jim Nill, I propose:

VP & GM: Paul Fenton (assistant GM in Nashville)
Assistant GM: Dominic Ricard (GM Voltigeurs)
Assistant GM: Marc Bergevin (assistant GM Chicago, former director of player personnel) or Trevor Timmins

Head coach: Guy Boucher (i wish) more likely Marc Crawford
Assistant coach: Patrick Roy
Assistant coach: Randy Ladouceur

And for those bilingual purists, Fenton (key figure and right hand man of Poile) is the only proposed hockey operations personnel that doesn't speak french.

Team:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
??? - Eller - Gionta
??? - ??? - ???
White - Noke- Tootoo
Blunden

Markov - Gorges
Kaberle - Subban
Diaz - Emelin
???

Price
Budaj

??? - Prospects/UFAs on short-term contracts

Trade Gill, Kostitsyn, Campoli & Moen at the deadline for picks and prospects. Trade Weber, Cammy and Pleks (yes, pleks) for picks and prospects (or an elite level player).

Resign Gorges, Price, Subban, Noke, White, Emelin, Diaz and Eller.

Send Gomez to Hamilton (or buyout, depending on new CBA implementation allowances) and sign Tootoo.

Let's build this team the right way, with vision and purpose. It won't be quick, but I don't see sucking as being any different than mediocrity.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 12-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:00 PM
BigHabs

I think Cammalleri might be gone at deadline or in the offseason. I think Gauthier will be looking at a major move to save his own butt.

I see:

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Ruutu Plekanec ????<--- Depending on return for Cammalleri
Leblanc Eller Gionta
Glass Gaustad Moen

White/Parros

Gorges Subban
Markov Emelin
Kaberle Gleason

Diaz/Vandermeer

Price
Budaj

Kostitsyn, Nokelainen, and Darche will probably just hit the market.

Gill, Campoli, Weber, and Cammalleri all traded and Gomez sent to the minors unless taker found. I know the Gomez situation is easier said than done. But its almost time he has to go and have it over with and move on. Its not working and we need a working solution.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Cheers to another 20 cupless years if we have that ridiculous French-only rule.
As opposed to those 40 cupless years in Toronto with their english-only rule.

Bigotry rules!

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
As opposed to those 40 cupless years in Toronto with their english-only rule.

Bigotry rules!

22 of 24 cups were won by Anglo coaches. We've only won two cups since management implemented the French-Coach only rule.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
j52

BOTTOM

BOTTOM

They are the same. This is not a talented group of players despite the optimism of many posters here.
Molson has to bring in a GM who can obtain some talent, dump some dead wood, and revamp the scouting department. Contrary to a poster above, I don't think that Timmons has done much of a job. Drafting US high school defencemen and Swiss players, has not panned out for the Habs. I think that throwing darts at the top 100 names in the draft would have been just as productive over the past many years.
Gionta is a Koivu, who can't score in the shootout, Camalerri is saving himself for the playoffs which the Habs won't make, and Gomez is without doubt one of the biggest mistakes in Habs' history. (Making Grundman the GM, and the Wickenheiser no. 1 pick are far worse.)

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Funny how those three players are now strangling this team to death. 1 was a given but who would have guessed all three would become albatrosses! (sp?)
Ummm, was it really that hard to imagine? I think I said every contract was bad from the get go.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
GM: Jim Nill

Coach: Randy Cunneyworth

To Carolina: Desharnais, Cammalleri, Weber.

To Montreal: Staal
--------------------------------
re-sign: Kostitsyn (3 years @ 3.5), Subban (4 years @ 3.5), Price (5 years @ 5), Gorges (3 years @ 3.3)

Kostitsyn - Staal - Cole

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Doan

Moen - Eller - Gionta

Dumont - Nokelainen - White

Markov - Emelin

Gorges - Subban

Kaberle - Sutton

Price

Budaj

That's not a bad lineup, not the best, but it's definitely more physical and you got rid of some players I don't like (weber/dd). Would everyone fit under the cap? Also, guaranteed Carolina wants cheaper/younger guys with high ceilings.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
raz123

Quote:
22 of 24 cups were won by Anglo coaches. We've only won two cups since management implemented the French-Coach only rule.
I agree that the best man for the job should be hired, regardless of language.
And I'm personally biased towards anglophone coaches, as I believe it would reduce the (mostly crappy) French press coverage.

However, you have to note that the two most successful coaches in Habs history, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman, spoke fluent French.

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz123 View Post
And I'm personally biased towards anglophone coaches, as I believe it would reduce the (mostly crappy) French press coverage.

However, you have to note that the two most successful coaches in Habs history, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman, spoke fluent French.
Both as a second language however. Did either of them speak it before coming to Montreal? Randy isn't even meant as a permanent replacement. Why is four or five months of an Anglo coach such a big deal?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
groovejuice

I believe Scotty was born in Montreal and Toe Blake's mom was francophone.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I believe Scotty was born in Montreal and Toe Blake's mom was francophone.
Montreal was an anglo city until bill 101

Old
12-18-2011, 07:37 PM
groovejuice

@kremlinwall do you mean french was not spoken there? Or that is was not predominantly french?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Yeah and for most of that time in the original 6 era, 100% of executives and coaches in the NHL were anglophones and only one team scouted francophones players. You know, the team created to allow those players in the NHL in the first place.

I guess those were the good times for you. One step forward, two steps back...

Quote:

Funny guy.

Perhaps francophone coaches would reduce the number of crappy bigoted anglophone fans. Who don't know the history of their own team.

Quote:
@kremlinwall do you mean french was not spoken there? Or that is was not predominantly french?
Predominantly french, owned and operated in english. Good times...

Old
12-18-2011, 07:52 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Montréal was the business capital of Canada. All the money going through Quebec was from English businessmen. If not for Bill 101 Montréal never would have lost that title to Toronto. Most French believe otherwise though and try to justify the Bill. Whatever I'm not going to go deeper because then everyone will go into flame mode and this is not the politics board.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Ummm, was it really that hard to imagine? I think I said every contract was bad from the get go.
The contracts are bad but the players shouldn't be having the slumps they are. What were you saying while Cammalleri was getting his 13 goals in the playoffs?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
groovejuice

That's what I thought. Before 101, an anglophone employer was not required to use french at the workplace even though there may have been predominantly francophone employees.

I asked because I was uncertain why that would preclude Bowman from speaking french from a young age, if not birth.

My parents lived in Quebec in the fifties and although they were anglophones, both learned to speak french fluently. As a matter of fact, I speak it quite well myself, even living in Alberta most of my life.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:30 PM
raz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Funny guy.

Perhaps francophone coaches would reduce the number of crappy bigoted anglophone fans. Who don't know the history of their own team.
My dominant tongue is French.

Listen to the RC press conference after last night's game.
The questions were mainly from the Anglo side, and the quality of them was much, much better than anything you see from the Franco media.

I'm not stating a causation, I'm saying that I see a correlation.

Franco media's questions tend to be low-balls.

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Not The One

Quote:
My dominant tongue is French.

Listen to the RC press conference after last night's game.
The questions were mainly from the Anglo side, and the quality of them was much, much better than anything you see from the Franco media.

I'm not stating a causation, I'm saying that I see a correlation.

Franco media's questions tend to be low-balls.
I'm not getting in an anglo vs french media debate here, because this is not the thread for this, but I'll say that what you hear what you want to hear. Nobody blames "the anglo press" when Jack Todd, Dave Stubbs or PJ Stock say or write something stupid.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
Mr. Molson should consider promoting Trevor Timmins to the position of Habs G.M. for the following reasons:

1. He holds 3 degrees: a graduate of Queen’s University in Physical Education; a Master of Business Administration (Queen’s) and a Master’s degree in Sports Administration at the University of Ottawa.
2. He has been and is responsible for both of the Hab’s summer development and rookie camps; oversees the development of the Canadiens prospects in Hamilton and the club’s amateur prospects; supervises the annual NHL combine, as well as the Canadiens’ own combine.
3. He has been overseeing and directing the Canadiens’ amateur scouting system, including the annual NHL Entry Draft and amateur free-agent recruitment.
4. He has held the positions of Scouting Coordinator, Strength and Conditioning Coach and Director of Team Services with the Senators as well as the team’s Director of Hockey Operations, responsible for their Scouting Department, their minor league affiliate, budgeting, and daily operation of their Hockey Department.
5. He is in his 11th season with the Habs and his 20th season in the NHL.
6. He is fluently bilingual.
7. He pays attention to his own physical fitness and is keenly aware of and concerned for our prospect's fitness as well.

I have read many comments from Hab's posters regarding losing great talent in our own backyard....Timmins is another talent...might we lose him, too, down the road? Make it happen Geoff!
I think this post is the clear winner and most logical choice as our next GM. Who else knows this organization better than Timmins? I think you are spot on.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote