HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Dec. 20 update: Giroux (concussion) could return Dec. 21; medically cleared to play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  #476
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ
 
WhiskeyBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Video from Anthony J. SanFilippo's blog.

Man, these dodgy responses do NOTHING to reassure me.


Last edited by WhiskeyBoarder: 12-18-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Removed video; post above beat me to it!
WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:54 PM
  #477
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
I didn't think he was being dodgy, he probably doesn't know what to say, and probably is under orders to be hush hush about it from management.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
  #478
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
G pulled off a sick deke around a defenseman and scored in practice today.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
  #479
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,217
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
G pulled off a sick deke around a defenseman and scored in practice today.
Which defenseman, though?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
  #480
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,950
vCash: 1183
Video of Giroux from today's (Sunday, December 18) practice at Colorado:

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...=771&id=143319

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:17 PM
  #481
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I didn't think he was being dodgy, he probably doesn't know what to say, and probably is under orders to be hush hush about it from management.
Agreed. The organization certainly doesn't want to be perceived as rushing Claude out there. You can imagine the optics if he got hurt again right away.

If I was the Flyers PR guy, my advice would be to not raise expectations and part of that would be to instruct Claude not to say things like "I feel much better, no problems today at all." Even if Giroux felt great and he personally wanted to play Wednesday, the Flyers probably want to wait until after the Christmas break to let him loose for both health reasons and for optics.

I'm guessing this is why Claude didn't shed any real light on how he feels. Based on the fact he played a full practice and competed pretty hard for pucks, I'm guessing he's feeling pretty close to ready. I think the Flyers are reigning him in.

Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
  #482
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Video of Giroux from today's (Sunday, December 18) practice at Colorado:

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...=771&id=143319
And now having seen this video, I think they might be getting ready to put him back in the lineup. Not because of how good Giroux looked, but simply based on the fact the Flyers purposely released this video. The Flyers are letting us know he's looking good already. If they wait until after the Christmas break before inserting him into the lineup, they can say they've done their due diligence. Who knows but the fact they posted this video makes me think there's a possibility they might send him out there even earlier.

Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
  #483
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Agreed. The organization certainly doesn't want to be perceived as rushing Claude out there. You can imagine the optics if he got hurt again right away.

If I was the Flyers PR guy, my advice would be to not raise expectations and part of that would be to instruct Claude not to say things like "I feel much better, no problems today at all." Even if Giroux felt great and he personally wanted to play Wednesday, the Flyers probably want to wait until after the Christmas break to let him loose for both health reasons and for optics.

I'm guessing this is why Claude didn't shed any real light on how he feels. Based on the fact he played a full practice and competed pretty hard for pucks, I'm guessing he's feeling pretty close to ready. I think the Flyers are reigning him in.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:34 PM
  #484
Yosemite Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Had to do it, ho ho ho! I actually think Giroux is related to Santa. He was practically raised in the North Pole (I've driven to Hearst... argh) and sprouts man-beard like magic.

Yosemite Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
  #485
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Had to do it, ho ho ho! I actually think Giroux is related to Santa. He was practically raised in the North Pole (I've driven to Hearst... argh) and sprouts man-beard like magic.
I'm actually inclined to agree with you. The evidence is overwhelming.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
  #486
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,497
vCash: 500
His headaches are pretty much gone but not completely. I hope they don't screw this up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:44 PM
  #487
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
His headaches are pretty much gone but not completely. I hope they don't screw this up.
They won't, especially not with the HBO cameras filming their every move.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
  #488
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
They won't, especially not with the HBO cameras filming their every move.
If he still has headaches, why is he in Colorado? Why is he even on the ice? If he had said the headaches are gone, different story, but he said pretty much gone.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
  #489
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If he still has headaches, why is he in Colorado? Why is he even on the ice? If he had said the headaches are gone, different story, but he said pretty much gone.
See post #477, same reasoning.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
  #490
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
I don't buy for one second that he's definitely out until after Christmas.

If they didn't think there was at least a chance he'd play Wednesday in Dallas, he doesn't fly across the country.

He still has multiple hurdles to pass, but with continued progress and no further setbacks, he isn't waiting until the Winter Classic.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
  #491
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
@ALLsportsINTEL:

Quote:
BREAKING NHL UPDATE - Source close to situation says Philadelphia Flyers Claude Giroux likely to make his return in the Winter Classic..

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  #492
HartsyMania
What, me worry?
 
HartsyMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
@ALLsportsINTEL:
If, and I really mean if Giroux is ready to play, this would make the most sense... Let him fly with the team, and practice on the road to see how he holds up - and then let him home back in Philly to rest for 2 weeks. The Winter Classic IS out first home game back.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
  #493
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,973
vCash: 500
If giroux is still suffering from headaches then he sould not be getting on any airplanes. The pressurized cabins can cause a severe headache and set him back without any other activity. This was just plain stupid to bring him along if he's not ready to play.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:43 AM
  #494
ICAPNASTYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If giroux is still suffering from headaches then he sould not be getting on any airplanes. The pressurized cabins can cause a severe headache and set him back without any other activity. This was just plain stupid to bring him along if he's not ready to play.
Didn't you read post #484? It clearly states that Giroux is related to Santa. The folks over at the North Pole more than likely let Giroux borrow the sleigh so he could make the trip without any complications

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:54 AM
  #495
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,523
vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
@ALLsportsINTEL:
Anyone find it weird that this twitter was basically an unknown quantity around here, and it breaks 2 Flyers stories tonight(scouts looking at JVR+Read and Giroux)? I'm inclined to not believe anything it says unless I hear it from someone else.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:32 AM
  #496
DayoftheGreek
Registered User
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If giroux is still suffering from headaches then he sould not be getting on any airplanes. The pressurized cabins can cause a severe headache and set him back without any other activity. This was just plain stupid to bring him along if he's not ready to play.
Did you learn this at med school, or are you making stuff up and assuming getting headaches = setback?

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:59 AM
  #497
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Anyone find it weird that this twitter was basically an unknown quantity around here, and it breaks 2 Flyers stories tonight(scouts looking at JVR+Read and Giroux)? I'm inclined to not believe anything it says unless I hear it from someone else.
With the scouts post I put up, I did state that I'm unknown of their credibility and I was hoping someone else could vouch. However, Flyers Nation on Facebook was pretty much exclusively citing them, and they never gave bad info. So while I don't completely trust them, I think they say some credible things. Or at least take it from other.

They're unknown because less than two thousand people like them and I only found them through digging.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  #498
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Did you learn this at med school, or are you making stuff up and assuming getting headaches = setback?

No med school. Brother-in-law (actually ex-BiL) who is a doc. Brother and son who are in Nuc Med. Had several concussions myself (2 very severe, 1 I couldn't walk without help for over a week) so I know a lot about them. They caused migranes so severe that I'd black out. Light hurt, moving my head hurt. Nothing helped. I still suffer from dizzy spells and I now have the onset of Vertigo. It's in it's beginning stages but it only gets worse as you age and I'm only 45. Concussions are nothing to screw with, trust me.

Oh, and I can tell you from personal experience that getting on a plane after recently suffering a concussion is just a bad bad idea.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
  #499
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
No med school. Brother-in-law (actually ex-BiL) who is a doc. Brother and son who are in Nuc Med. Had several concussions myself (2 very severe, 1 I couldn't walk without help for over a week) so I know a lot about them. They caused migranes so severe that I'd black out. Light hurt, moving my head hurt. Nothing helped. I still suffer from dizzy spells and I now have the onset of Vertigo. It's in it's beginning stages but it only gets worse as you age and I'm only 45. Concussions are nothing to screw with, trust me.

Oh, and I can tell you from personal experience that getting on a plane after recently suffering a concussion is just a bad bad idea.
While I understand you have had some bad experience with Concussions, I don't think NHL teams, their industry leading medical staff, and insurance people would let concussed players onto planes if they for any reason what so ever thought they were putting them at risk.

It is evident, based on Giroux's practising and travelling with the team, that he is only suffering from very minor headaches, if any at all. And practising with such symptoms is typical of recovery, to test the body. There have also been no reports that after or during practise he wasnt feeling well, or that any exisitng headache worsened, or appeared during or after practise.

I understand everyone wants the best for Giroux, as do I, but these are all positive signs that the concussion he suffered was rather minor, barring any setbacks.

9/10 concussions are relatively minor and recoverable, we are all just a bit hyper sensitive because there have been some very serious career enders in recent years, and the supposed "rate" of concussions is rising.

If I had to bet, I would suggest that the rate is not much if any worse then 10 years ago, or even longer. Medicine is improving, awareness is improving, and players are becoming more cautious of their own health then in years past. IMO, this is what is leading to more players being properly diagnosed with a concussion, where as in years past guys would suffer them, not think much of the headaches etc, and continue on.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
  #500
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,744
vCash: 50
tpanotchCSN Tim Panaccio

Giroux NOT wearing yellow jersey but actual prax jersey

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.